Summer recruitment

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
fanzone
Been Liked: 226 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Summer recruitment

Post by fanzone » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:49 pm

What should be our plans in terms of strengthening, targets, money spent and which players need replacing in the first 11

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani
Been Liked: 212 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Re: Summer recruitment

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:51 pm

With 24m I reckon we could get Alan Brazil to do the half time announcements

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Somebody very very very tall to head it down to young Peter Crouch.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by burnleymik » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:55 pm

Midfield seems to be priority. Right back options would be good and some cover for Taylor at LB, although that young lad Koiki might be able to fill that role?

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:56 pm

Palace today highlighted all of our problems in terms of recruitment. They have, on paper, some excellent players who no doubt command salaries of beyond 50k a week. Yes, we’ve seen them play well twice this year but they still struggle. And we are competing with that financially.

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani
Been Liked: 212 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:59 pm

From our finances I think next season could be our last in the prem for a while , I think sd may leave too we have done well but we are on the brink

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:00 pm

Out and out striker
Winger

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:02 pm

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani wrote:From our finances I think next season could be our last in the prem for a while , I think sd may leave too we have done well but we are on the brink
Have you got the Samaritans number please
This user liked this post: Guich

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:04 pm

Winger: With pace.
Defensive mid: Can’t have another season of Cork starting every week.

Those for me are the two big ones. Another creator if Dyche wants to shift away from 4-4-2 again. Cairney would be my number 1 target. I’d say have another go at Che Adams but can’t see it now. Keep an eye on the right back market too.

Lots to improve, can’t see it all being done. And frankly unrealistic to expect as much expenditure in one go.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 1210 times

Post by Pickles » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:06 pm

We've needed out and out strength, power and athleticism in the centre of midfield for a while. A player like Wanyama or Sissoko. There simply has to be one somewhere within our budget.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:07 pm

Minimum two central mids - Cork and Hendrick are now squad players at best
Assuming we do not take up the option of giving a further year to Ward then LB is required
Striker to replace Julie Walters and the young lad Crouch
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:07 pm

depends what division we are in
These 3 users liked this post: boatshed bill tiger76 box_of_frogs

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:51 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:depends what division we are in
Precisely VC if we're still a PL team,then a CM has to be essential,ideally a powerful unit with a bit of pace,who that would be i have no idea,but that's where the scouting team earn their money.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:15 am

I’d say we pretty much need to strengthen the same areas as last summer.

We probably need a right back. We probably need a winger. We need a central midfielder who can be effective in a 442. We’re going to need a striker to offer some genuine competition for Wood and Barnes.

Assuming we stay up, we can’t risk attempting three seasons in a row with more or less the same starting XI.

Joe14
Been Liked: 249 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Joe14 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:18 am

Summer recruitment?? :lol:

Early April fools??

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:20 am

Mooy and Cairney for starters. A right-footed fast winger and a striker.
This user liked this post: claretgimmer

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:27 am

It will be the same as other windows, spend all summer chasing targets that a, Don't want to come, or B, we aren't prepared to bid enough to get the deal done.
This user liked this post: Blackburnclaret

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:29 am

I'd agree we need an upgrade on Jack Cork, and a back up as well if we can find one.
I doubt we will have the millions to spend that everyone wants so it may be time to let a few go to raise the money and make the space in the squad.

Whoever we buy, they need to be bought to improve the first XI. We've spent a lot of money, in Burnley terms, to improve the bench, and it did need strengthening, but if we want to stay in the Prem we have to improve that starting line up. If we kick off next season with the same team as we had yesterday it's going to be a long hard season.
This user liked this post: Walt

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:12 am

I think we've been on the right sort of lines in the last couple of windows, with our interest in James Ward Prowse and Che Adams. Craft in midfield, and a bit of pace in the final third.

The first priority this summer, I think, is going to be to replace Defour in midfield - I don't understand the sudden backlash against Cork, who has generally done well enough for us (and throughout his Premier League career), but we do miss on occasions the superior quality on the ball that Defour offers. Yesterday was probably a case in point. But equally, a forward (whether playing from wide, or down the centre) with genuine pace would also help us commit stubborn defences.

The final priority, for me, is a new right back. The ingredient this team has always lacked, even last season, was a bit of pace on the overlap. Bardsley has done well for us recently, but his lack of quality in the final third was exposed yesterday and Lowton's struggles this season have emphasised the need for someone to compete with him.

I'm a bit unconvinced about the suggestion we need to try and sign a midfielder in the mould of Kouyate, say. Midfielders who are big, strong, athletic and also good footballers are not easy to find, and they're generally beyond our budget. Those that in our budget tend to be flawed in other areas.

The other priority for this summer in my view would be to tie Hendrick down for longer. He's out of contract in 15 months time, and given he's currently the closest thing we've got to a midfielder who is big, strong, athletic and a good footballer, I think it's really important we get him signed up to a new contract.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:21 am

Two most obvious positions are centre mid and a striker different to what we already have. After that a left back assuming we've seen the best of Ward.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:29 am

Midfield top priority and also some pace somewhere in the team. If the overseas network is not up and running a decent ready central midfielder will cost.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:31 am

‘......priority ...to tie Hendrick down for longer..’ not convinced on that one.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

mill hill claret
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by mill hill claret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:10 am

AndyClaret wrote:It will be the same as other windows, spend all summer chasing targets that a, Don't want to come, or B, we aren't prepared to bid enough to get the deal done.

this

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:53 am

claretspice wrote:I think we've been on the right sort of lines in the last couple of windows, with our interest in James Ward Prowse and Che Adams. Craft in midfield, and a bit of pace in the final third.

The first priority this summer, I think, is going to be to replace Defour in midfield - I don't understand the sudden backlash against Cork, who has generally done well enough for us (and throughout his Premier League career), but we do miss on occasions the superior quality on the ball that Defour offers. Yesterday was probably a case in point. But equally, a forward (whether playing from wide, or down the centre) with genuine pace would also help us commit stubborn defences.

The final priority, for me, is a new right back. The ingredient this team has always lacked, even last season, was a bit of pace on the overlap. Bardsley has done well for us recently, but his lack of quality in the final third was exposed yesterday and Lowton's struggles this season have emphasised the need for someone to compete with him.

I'm a bit unconvinced about the suggestion we need to try and sign a midfielder in the mould of Kouyate, say. Midfielders who are big, strong, athletic and also good footballers are not easy to find, and they're generally beyond our budget. Those that in our budget tend to be flawed in other areas.

The other priority for this summer in my view would be to tie Hendrick down for longer. He's out of contract in 15 months time, and given he's currently the closest thing we've got to a midfielder who is big, strong, athletic and a good footballer, I think it's really important we get him signed up to a new contract.
Garlick said we were 8-10m short bidding for che Adams.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:35 pm

Blackrod wrote:‘......priority ...to tie Hendrick down for longer..’ not convinced on that one.
Apart from anything else, he's been excellent recently and we've looked weaker (and got worse results) when he's been off the pitch - both this season and last. I think we've got enough rebuilding to do without getting rid of players who have regularly played in our more successful spells in recent seasons, and who are just coming into their prime years as Premier League players.

Don't understand the obsession with Cairney either, incidentally. Talented player no doubt, but we're talking about a player who has struggled to get a game in Fulham's team this season, primarily because of question marks about his defensive attributes. In any event, if we want a rangy, left footed playmaker, I'd prefer to save a few quid and see how we develop McNeil. We've got a surfeit of left footed attacking midfielders in the squad, so arguably it's another right footed option we need.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:53 pm

Could we stretch to a tea lady and kitman-both coming to end of contracts

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:43 pm

We desperately need a centre mid who is good enough to walk into our starting XI, not another steady squad player. And push the boat out for as good a striker as we can possibly afford. Trying to do the cheap option signing the likes of Walters and Wells just hasn't worked and we've wasted a small fortune on fees and wages for no return whatsoever.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:46 pm

jrgbfc wrote:We desperately need a centre mid who is good enough to walk into our starting XI, not another steady squad player. And push the boat out for as good a striker as we can possibly afford. Trying to do the cheap option signing the likes of Walters and Wells just hasn't worked and we've wasted a small fortune on fees and wages for no return whatsoever.
A good striker ............25/30 million it won't happen..sadly.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:04 pm

Steve1956 wrote:A good striker ............25/30 million it won't happen..sadly.
Not necessarily, Brooks and Maddison last summer would have both been in our price range. We just need to improve our recruitment strategy and focus on youth a bit more.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:14 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Not necessarily, Brooks and Maddison last summer would have both been in our price range. We just need to improve our recruitment strategy and focus on youth a bit more.
Better to have provided examples of strikers given that is what Steve was specifically referring to.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 296 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:32 pm

First team right back - 10 million

Quality, strong, 442 suited centre mid (betaleb/Kouyaté mould) - 25 million

Young back up right winger/striker 10 million

Those are all overestimates and would leave us with a good, deep squad for less than 45 million. Seeing as teams coming up are spending 100 million, 45 million should not be beyond the club.

Looking at the teams going down (if we don’t go down) , there are numerous players who would fill what we need. Mooy, anguissa, seri would all be excellent in the centre for us.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:35 pm

Danger! Wall Of Text

Providing that we stay up we will be shopping to a tight budget. I don't think we will be limited to the £24m that Garlick mentioned the other day, but I can't see us being flush with cash.

Add in the cash from Vokes, along with the profit made last year and the profit for this year and we might have £40m+ to play with if we spend everything available. However, spending it all would be pretty reckless in my eyes.

£40m+ is a small amount when you are looking to bring in Premier League players in a market that has inflated prices, especially when you add in agent fees and bonus Twix.

I don't think we need to make drastic changes in the next window. We played poorly at the start of the season and if you add a couple of points onto our current tally from that run (along with some points we lost due to questionable referee decisions) we would be in a very safe mid table position at the moment. We just need a couple of tweaks to build on what we already have.

I would go for a forward player and a midfielder (two midfielders if Defour leaves). Looking beyond that I would like a young left and right back with a view to the future. I would also like an infusion of quality youth players to increase our odds of players moving up into the first team or improving our financial future with transfer fees that can offset the depreciating value of our first team as players get older.

My non Burnley football viewing has seen me dip in and out of the Scottish and French Leagues over the past year so the majority of my picks lean towards them. Quality strikers who could constitute budget buys are thin on the ground at the best of times, so I had to look further afield.

Striker

Albian Ajeti (FC Basel) He is my only real pick for an out and out striker who could be expected to fall within our price range for us. Quick, good set of lungs and he would be physically suited to playing in the Premier League. Good ball control, tidy dribbler, adept at hanging onto the shoulder of the last defender and bursting through to get on the end of passes through the lines. Just what we need. He deserves to be in a better team than Basel and at 22 he could have a long career with us. He won't be cheap, but he will be a hell of a lot cheaper than Che and far more attainable. If all eyes are on Che, fighting the costly drawn out battle for his signature, we could go in early and snap him up.

Robin Quaison (FSV Mainz 05) With six centre forwards on their books, including three new incomings this season, Mainz might consider moving him on. He is arguably more suited to being an attacking midfielder than a centre forward, but his pace and creativity could benefit us. If his defensive game was better I would pick him over Cairney as a possible Defour replacement when age and expected cost are factored in. He has the physical qualities to do well in the Premier League. The fact that he isn't limited to a front line forward role could give him more playing opportunities and increase our tactical options.

Midfield

Alan Browne (Preston), Daley Sinkgraven (Ajax) mainly played as a left back at the moment, but he has previously played as a central/defensive midfielder, Markus Henriksen (Hull) who will be out of contract in the Summer.

Pushing the boat out and spending a bob or two I would look at Philip Billing (Huddersfield), but he is likely to attract a lot of competing suitors in the next window.

If Defour moves on we would need a creative midfielder as well.

Maybe Tom Cairney - but I would like someone younger for the price that Fulham would probably want. I could see his transfer fee taking a very big chunk out of our available budget, because even if Fulham go down they won't have any immediate financial necessity to sell him on the cheap.

Alan Browne would probably strike the best balance between attack and defence for a single player, but he negotiates his own contract deals instead of using an agent. So it is hard to find details about his current contract with Preston and how that might affect his price. I suspect that he would cost us a lot less than Cairney, he lives local and is a better age, which taken together would put him ahead of Cairney for me.

Left Back - if Ward moves on

Greg Taylor (Kilmarnock), Birger Meling (Rosenborg BK)

Maybe Jonas Knudsen (Ipswich) if we are looking to bring in someone on the cheap.

Winger

I'm quite happy with the way Jeff is playing for us on the right and I don't see the need to move on Lennon to bring in a new addition who would have to adjust. Probably a minority opinion, but with Dwight coming through to claim a winger spot I think we can save some money and bring someone in during another window.

Maybe Ollie Watkins, but he would cost us a hefty sum and I would prefer it if he was a primarily a right winger. Top young player though.

Development Squads - Out of Contract Players

This is the area that I would focus on during the Summer window. Players that can add to the strength in depth of our development squads, increase competition and free up room to send more players out on loan to get league experience.

Players in this area would also provide the best potential for giving us a financial return should they move on or if they move up to the first squad, which would remove the need to buy a player in.

I think we are also in a position to start talking to them now, instead of waiting until the window draws close, which will increase the chance of them extending their contracts or moving elsewhere.

Oliver Kemen (Olympique Lyon). Bustling midfielder with a good turn of pace, impressive physicality and a bit of bite. If we bring him on I could see him moving into our midfield in a season or two and being an important player for us in the future. Previously at Newcastle, which provided him with an idea of what the English game is about.

Harold Moukoudi (AC Le Havre). The rumour mill has linked us to him before. A good solid young defender. Not the quickest, but his distribution is very respectable, 6' 3" and he knows how to use his height to make himself an aerial threat. Very calm and assured in his defensive work.

Patrick Burner (OG Nice). Pacey attacking right back who can put in a good cross and his ability to shoot is a bonus. His tactical awareness could be better in defence, but he would serve as a good understudy for Lowton and Bardsley with the potential to step up when one of them moves on.

Callum Gribbin (Man Utd) He is currently struggling to get into U23 side and despite their previous high expectations he is in danger of becoming a lost man. There is no doubting that he has a lot of talent, but injuries have affected his development rate and playing opportunities. Getting a player out of Man Utd is never easy, but we have done it before (Heaton, Keane and McNeill). He usually plays as an attacking midfielder, but he has played on the right wing and that is probably the role that I would like to see him take on if he came to us.

Kyle Scott (Chelsea) In respect to a viable Defour replacement going forward Kyle would be my pick of the current out of contract crop. Not afraid to put in a tackle, great ball playing skills and good general awareness. I would be more comfortable if he was a bit more robust. He is a good age and apparently has little interest in signing a new contract. A very tidy player and with more game time he could develop well.

Chris Cadden (Motherwell) A right winger and in terms of pure ability he probably wouldn't be on my list, despite some very impressive stats last season. However, in terms of personality he is the player that I've learned the most about and sometimes hard graft beats ability and a laid back attitude. It would be nicer if he was a year or so younger, allowing for more time in the development squads, but I still think he is worth considering as a cheaper out of contract option.

Six months at the club and then out on loan would be a good way for us to see how he adjusts to the English leagues and if he has the potential to play for us. It's a hard to get a complete picture of what he is truly capable of, because in all fairness he isn't surrounded by quality in the Motherwell side.

Development Squads - In Contract Players

The following young players are all under contract with their clubs for the immediate future, so we would have to spend substantially more to bring them in. With so many good youngsters at the end of their contracts most of these are probably better as players to keep an eye on.

CB - Ryan Porteus (Hibernian), CM - Lewis Ferguson (Aberdeen), CM - Dru Yearwood (Southend), CM - Harry Cochrane (Hear of Midlothian), RM - Anthony McDonald (Inverness)

Final Selection

If nobody moves on in the next window, top of my shopping list would be Albian Ajeti, Philip Billing, Greg Taylor, the three French youngsters, Kyle Scott and Dru Yearwood.

Taken together that should soak up £30m+ in direct transfer fees.

Alan Browne and Robin Quaison wouldn't be far behind my top picks.

After Thoughts

Like I said at the beginning our budget will be very tight and it won't stretch that far at all. If Defour was to move on and we needed to bring in a new creative midfielder that would probably push us right up to our spending limit.

If we need a Peter Crouch Mk2 we could keep an eye on Paul Onuachu (FC Midtjylland). I need to be honest here and say that I haven't watched much of him, but he is really tall and scores lots of goals.

My overall strategic advice would be, please don't **** it up again, three flawed windows on the trot would be criminal.

If we suffer the drop everything could change, depending on whether our current players decide to stay or welcome the overtures of the vultures who would descend to pick apart our squad.

Please feel free to comment on any of my laymans suggestions or propose alternatives within our limited budget. I think we would all like to bring in an extra 3 or 4 first teamers with 15 to 20 million price tags, but it's never going to happen.
These 2 users liked this post: burnleymik claretfern

gtclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:43 pm

We simply will not compete for prem quality players. It's not just players fees and wagers it's the agents fees as well

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:43 pm

Steve1956 wrote:A good striker ............25/30 million it won't happen..sadly.
What do you call a good striker.
We have 2 in Wood and Barnes, both at a bargain. The best we can hope for at this level is strikers who can hit 10 or 12 goals a season. We couldn't afford any striker that could score more than that, and if we did wed never hold on to them.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:50 pm

nothing wrong with our strikers, it's as usual the supply to them that needs addressing whatever division we find ourselves in

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:54 pm

We definitely need one striker who is good enough to challenge Barnes and Wood, preferably with a bit of pace. May as well try and get shut of Vydra as well, he's clearly never going to be given a chance.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:57 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:Danger! Wall Of Text
Just because they are decent on FM doesn't mean that they are in real life my man

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:00 pm

We are crying out for pace in the side and someone who can take players on.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:46 am

CoolClaret wrote:Just because they are decent on FM doesn't mean that they are in real life my man
Really?

I've stated before that I don't own or play the game. If I did then do you really think my list would contain so many well known domestic players like Alan Browne, Markus Henrikson, Philip Billing, Greg Taylor, Jonas Knudson, Tom Cairney and Ollie Watkins.

Even the lesser known names I included have a traceable presence in the football world.

Are they really the best players that Football Manager would throw up with a search?

Or would my list be comprised of 16 year old Venuzuelan Wonderkids?

If you look back at some of the other lists I've posted prior to transfer windows a lot of those players have moved on in the subsequent windows for relatively low sums and they have done quite well for their new clubs. Don't get me wrong I'm not an expert, I wouldn't even class myself as an amateur.

Like a lot of people on these boards I watch quite a bit of football other than Burnley, which means that players catch my eye from time to time. That is why I try to include a short summary of what I picked up on when I watched them and what stood out to make them interesting candidates for us.

Aside from critiques of individual players I think the fairest form of criticism that could be levelled at me is that I'm too cheap and I don't advocate spending big on obvious star players.

If you do have any alternative candidates that might be worth a look at by all means post them so that we can discuss them.

If you could rummage around on Football Manager and find us a quality young striker in the 10-15m bracket that would be fantastic, because I think we are really going to struggle with that one in the next window. Our fail safe recruitment tactic of looking who is scoring or scored the most goals in the Championship probably isn't going to work.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:55 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:Really?

I've stated before that I don't own or play the game. If I did then do you really think my list would contain so many well known domestic players like Alan Browne, Markus Henrikson, Philip Billing, Greg Taylor, Jonas Knudson, Tom Cairney and Ollie Watkins.

Even the lesser known names I included have a traceable presence in the football world.

Are they really the best players that Football Manager would throw up with a search?

Or would my list be comprised of 16 year old Venuzuelan Wonderkids?

If you look back at some of the other lists I've posted prior to transfer windows a lot of those players have moved on in the subsequent windows for relatively low sums and they have done quite well for their new clubs. Don't get me wrong I'm not an expert, I wouldn't even class myself as an amateur.

Like a lot of people on these boards I watch quite a bit of football other than Burnley, which means that players catch my eye from time to time. That is why I try to include a short summary of what I picked up on when I watched them and what stood out to make them interesting candidates for us.

Aside from critiques of individual players I think the fairest form of criticism that could be levelled at me is that I'm too cheap and I don't advocate spending big on obvious star players.

If you do have any alternative candidates that might be worth a look at by all means post them so that we can discuss them.

If you could rummage around on Football Manager and find us a quality young striker in the 10-15m bracket that would be fantastic, because I think we are really going to struggle with that one in the next window. Our fail safe recruitment tactic of looking who is scoring or scored the most goals in the Championship probably isn't going to work.
If people on this message board can dig up 10-12 names,domestic and European why can't our scouts do the same,we are reluctant to take a chance on Scottish/Irish league prospects,whether this is Sean or the coaches is questionable,but i suspect it comes from the top,the problem in restricting our activity to a select band of Championship players,is multiple we can be outbid,the selling club WBA notably and in January Birmingham can play hard ball.

The players are out there we just have to think outside our comfort zone for once,a glaring example is Teemu Pukki who is tearing up the Championship for Norwich,amazingly he was a free transfer in the Summer from Brondby,if they put him on the market now you be looking at 15 million upwards,Phillip Billing would be a great acquisition but he's probably out of our price range,Ollie Watkins is a more realistic option but we have to be sharp and not wait for others to react.

Greg Taylor won't be a name many will know,but if he could be snapped up fairly cheaply i'd take a punt,only 21 can play LB,DM and CM,so at worst he'd be a versatile option in the squad.

Sadly i suspect we'll faff about chasing JayRod and Dawson for 2 months and end up empty-handed again.

Agree with your final paragraph,Vydra hasn't worked out,for a variety of reasons,Wood has broadly been a success.

For comparison this is the recent Championship top scorers.

https://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/a ... e-they-now

Not many on that list have made an impact in the PL,really only Glenn Murray and Chris Wood could be considered a proven hit at the top level.

bfc-sparta
Been Liked: 27 times

Post by bfc-sparta » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:18 pm

Mooy and cairney would be good and realistic targets. Bid for trippier ?

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:27 pm

Assuming we stay up (even though it's not a given) then we'd need
to bring in at least 2 or 3 quality players but tend to agree with
Long Time Lurker in his previous post.
Long Time Lurker wrote:£40m+ is a small amount when you are looking to bring in Premier League players in a market that has inflated prices, especially when you add in agent fees and bonus Twix.
Hopefully we'll have a few more 'strings to our bow' and not necessarily just be looking
at top end Championship players/strikers who are likely to have £15m + price tags
and who also attract interest/competitors from other Premier clubs.
They will have no experience of playing in the Premier league too so still have to be
considered a risk. And we can't afford another Vydra albeit he hasn't been given much of an opportunity
and could be moved on.

I think we need to try and uncover a 'couple of gems' from outside
the English leagues and try and get them in relatively early.
They will also have no or little experience of the Premier League but will cost much less
and probably not demand out top wages.
Still a risk obviously but not that much more than home based players.

As others have identified I would also go for another forward and at least one midfielder,
possibly 2 if Defour leaves.
With attributes that we are lacking at present. Pace and energy probably key attributes.
We'll also need current players (Brady. JBG, Lennon if we keep him in particular) to rediscover their best form.

It's also important we develop our own young talent and improve that side.
At present it doesn't seem as if we have that many exciting youngsters on the cusp of breaking into
the first team so it may be another season or so before we see much, if any, progress there.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:12 pm

All pie in the sky if we go down which is still a real possibility. Nobody at the club can plan the summer recruitment as yet until we know for sure we'll be offering PL footy.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:00 pm

If we are going to keep shopping in the Championship then we should at least be looking at players like Che Adams again and Bowen at Hull. Young lads who are hungry and have a point to prove rather than the likes of Walters and Crouch.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:32 pm

jrgbfc wrote:If we are going to keep shopping in the Championship then we should at least be looking at players like Che Adams again and Bowen at Hull. Young lads who are hungry and have a point to prove rather than the likes of Walters and Crouch.
Adams will be 20 million+ i'd imagine,if they didn't sell him cheap in January,i can't see them letting him go for a song in the Summer,Bowen would be a great catch,but i can see him going to Leicester/Wolves maybe Everton,shame but as other posters have noted it's incredibly difficult for us to usurp other interested PL teams,and obviously wages will always be an issue,i'd love to be proved wrong though.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:42 pm

tiger76 wrote:Adams will be 20 million+ i'd imagine,if they didn't sell him cheap in January,i can't see them letting him go for a song in the Summer,Bowen would be a great catch,but i can see him going to Leicester/Wolves maybe Everton,shame but as other posters have noted it's incredibly difficult for us to usurp other interested PL teams,and obviously wages will always be an issue,i'd love to be proved wrong though.
This is why our strategy has to be to get in early and if it means paying a little bit more so be it. Instead we waste time putting in derisory bids and leave it till other clubs start sniffing around and then scratch our heads wondering why we keep getting blown out of the water on fees/wages.

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Mooy and/or Billing from Huddersfield.

A winger.

Che Adams or Jarred Bowen.
This user liked this post: SalisburyClaret

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:04 pm

tiger76 wrote:Adams will be 20 million+ i'd imagine,if they didn't sell him cheap in January,i can't see them letting him go for a song in the Summer,Bowen would be a great catch,but i can see him going to Leicester/Wolves maybe Everton,shame but as other posters have noted it's incredibly difficult for us to usurp other interested PL teams,and obviously wages will always be an issue,i'd love to be proved wrong though.
It depends on what happens with Birmingham and their financial issues. There were stories https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/birm ... -xtd0dbnd8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that they could be in trouble for not accepting bids last time.

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:19 pm

People have complained that we didn't recruit in the last two windows, but I think it is more the case that we couldn't recruit. We need players who can compete at Premier League level and it is so difficult to sign such players. I would say that Bowen and Cairney are both out of our reach because of competition from other teams, problems matching wages, and the perception of Burnley by the players themselves.

Hence we have to look at Championship players, not always the best ones either, who may or may not work out at this level. It is a really tough ask for the club to stay at this level, but amazingly we seem to be able to do it year on year. So no cause for any complaints from anyone.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:46 pm

Erasmus wrote:People have complained that we didn't recruit in the last two windows, but I think it is more the case that we couldn't recruit. We need players who can compete at Premier League level and it is so difficult to sign such players. I would say that Bowen and Cairney are both out of our reach because of competition from other teams, problems matching wages, and the perception of Burnley by the players themselves.

Hence we have to look at Championship players, not always the best ones either, who may or may not work out at this level. It is a really tough ask for the club to stay at this level, but amazingly we seem to be able to do it year on year. So no cause for any complaints from anyone.
Also players will look at the likes of Gibson and Vydra coming in last summer and not even being given a chance which won't help sell us unfortunately.