Ebay buying from abroad advice

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Ebay buying from abroad advice

Post by duncandisorderly » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:29 pm

I use ebay a lot, and I've bought stuff from abroad on there in the past, but never for the value I'm thinking of doing so now.
So, if I buy an item for £1500, via paypal, through ebay, from Germany, am I covered for all eventualities? (not arriving, not as described, damaged) etc? just as in the UK? And ebay uk will facilitate whatever complaint may arise?

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2937 times

Re: Ebay buying from abroad advice

Post by gawthorpe_view » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:37 pm

Yes, I had a problem with a CCTV system which came from China despite being listed as UK supplied.
When it arrived it stated indoor use only on the box, the listing said indoor/ outdoor use, I complained to the supplier and got fobbed off, I raised a complaint with eBay AND PayPal, and got my money back promptly.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:26 pm

gawthorpe_view wrote:Yes, I had a problem with a CCTV system which came from China despite being listed as UK supplied.
When it arrived it stated indoor use only on the box, the listing said indoor/ outdoor use, I complained to the supplier and got fobbed off, I raised a complaint with eBay AND PayPal, and got my money back promptly.
I bought an item for china (it wasn't a fortune about £15... )

It didn't arrive by the designated time, I waited 5 days and so I contacted the seller .... they refunded me straight away.

7 days later it arrived so I repaid the refund.

I love Ebay.
These 2 users liked this post: gawthorpe_view J50

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:53 pm

China is the place to be concerned about.

Although I just admit to thinking that this was our new approach to transfers!

Bullabill
Been Liked: 303 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Bullabill » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:08 am

All of my E-Bay buying is from 'Abroad'. I've never had a problem with E-Bay/Paypal support, and never finished on the losing side of a deal. China has never been a concern for me, - replacement or refund with no hassle.

duncandisorderly

Post by duncandisorderly » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:41 am

Cheers, but just to be more specific, I'd be buying something used from a person, not a company, if that matters. (it matters in as much as there'd be no replacement, at least).

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:02 am

As I understand it, both eBay and Paypal will ensure you receive prompt attention if you are ever in dispute with a seller of whatever status and you'll get a refund. Once a case is opened - as they put it - they have rigid time limits for action to be taken. If the vendor doesn't respond or respond appropriately, they step in on your behalf.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:01 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:Cheers, but just to be more specific, I'd be buying something used from a person, not a company, if that matters. (it matters in as much as there'd be no replacement, at least).
I'm intrigued. What are you buying second hand from Germany for £1500?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:04 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:I'm intrigued. What are you buying second hand from Germany for £1500?
Tank
This user liked this post: Bosscat

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:12 pm

Paypal run a holding function that both parties can agree to, it has changed recently but expect you can still pay on delivery with the seller's permission (paypal hold onto your payment until you release it). Used it and had it used several times in the past (though they keep changing things).

claret wizard
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:23 pm

In the last couple of months I’ve bought 2 items from overseas (China and USA) which upon receipt were both counterfeit. I got my full monies back on both occasions after raising a complaint with eBay. Not high value £15 and £27, but no excuse for fobbing off cheap imitations for normal price.

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:43 pm

IanMcL wrote:Tank
I wish. I'd order a couple (Tiger II) if you could pick them up for £1500 a pop, but you might be on the right track, haha. I was wondering if was indeed WW2 memorabilia?

duncandisorderly

Post by duncandisorderly » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:19 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:I wish. I'd order a couple (Tiger II) if you could pick them up for £1500 a pop, but you might be on the right track, haha. I was wondering if was indeed WW2 memorabilia?

Nowt like that! I'm a guitar hunter and there was one available for around £1400 + 100 euros postage (i don't know how to make a euro symbol on my Brexit keyboard), but it's gone, never to be seen again. You can swap Germany for Italy, Netherlands, Belgium or Spain. But not france. **** the french.

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:34 pm

A guitar hunter? What will bands do when guitars have been finally hunted to extinction?

What an awful world that would be. A nightmare world of synth-pop played on an endless loop. A world where we huddled together in cold dank cellars while dreaming of the time when we last saw and heard a telecaster.

duncandisorderly

Post by duncandisorderly » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:40 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:A guitar hunter? What will bands do when guitars have been finally hunted to extinction?

What an awful world that would be. A nightmare world of synth-pop played on an endless loop. A world where we huddled together in cold dank cellars while dreaming of the time when we last saw and heard a telecaster.
**** telecasters. You had me up to that point.(tbf, tele's are great guitars, just not my bag) As is often the case from Germany I wanted it hard and heavy, neue deutsch harte....or something, I could google it but it would be disingenuous but i won't be far off!

dsr
Been Liked: 4575 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:39 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:I use ebay a lot, and I've bought stuff from abroad on there in the past, but never for the value I'm thinking of doing so now.
So, if I buy an item for £1500, via paypal, through ebay, from Germany, am I covered for all eventualities? (not arriving, not as described, damaged) etc? just as in the UK? And ebay uk will facilitate whatever complaint may arise?
No. The odds are in your favour, but there are ways and means for fraudsters to get away with fraud. If you tell the truth and you are believed, then all eventualities are covered; but liars have been known to win cases over truth tellers in the past.

I doubt coming from Germany makes much difference to the risk, though.