What would you have done today

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

What would you have done today

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:41 pm

Personally at half time I would have probably kept it as it was a little longer as we were doing OK. The change didn't really change our system. so seemed pointless then and definitely did at full time.

At 2-0 though I would have completely changed it.

Probably brought both full backs off for Gibson and Brady.

Meaning we went

Heaton
Tarks Mee Gibson
JBG Westwood Cork Brady
McNeil (Because he was still on at 2-0 but think he needed to come off before Jeff today)
Wood Barnes

Would have given us a much different look and style and Palace something to think about. As it was we made the most predictable subs at the most predictable time.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Re: What would you have done today

Post by dougcollins » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:44 pm

Stayed in the pub.
These 4 users liked this post: Dark Cloud cricketfieldclarets HunterST_BFC CoolClaret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:47 pm

Honestly?

Wouldn't have changed it, but the only real bit of quality happened just after half time with their second as I doubt it would have made much difference.

Said in the player ratings, the quality of crossing in today was abysmal, and you can't do a right lot when you change it and the replacements cross it just as badly.

You can't have a first half domination like we did and go in 1-0 down in the premier league. They were bound to be better 2nd half.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:53 pm

Been very unlucky the last two games they just haven't been going in. Palace are deadly on the break. The way we play we miss that pacey outlet. We never win when we have more posession.

Players like Zaha are a league above ours and if we stay up we could do with making a bit of a splash on a marquee signing with similar attributes but they would obviously have to be a great find and new to the prem for our funds.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11049 times
Has Liked: 5658 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:54 pm

despite his goal I would have swapped Barnes for Crouch early on, Wood won every header when there was any quality cross so Crouch would have been even more effective

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:58 pm

The trouble is our first and most obvious change is our wide men and taking off Hendrick and or McNeil is absolutely pointless because their replacements (Brady and JBG) are hopelessly out of form and make absolutely no difference whatsoever. Our only other replacement is either Wood or Barnes for Crouch.....Mmm.'Nuff said there. In essence our changes are making no difference, (especially Brady who is plain awful right now) and never actually change our style of play in any way at all. It's just more of the same with different people. Last week JBG WAS able to make his mark and set up the winner, but that's rare. Our crossing was our biggest let down today and in most cases that's down to our wide men as in McNeil, Hendrick, Brady and JBG who were all as bad as each other, right now.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4842 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:02 pm

I’d have brought Brady on for McNeil (rather than Hendrick) and after having success with the ball, would have encouraged us to have played more football in the final third. Get balls into feet and take the wind out of the equation.
This user liked this post: dougcollins

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:06 pm

Would have kept it the same we were on top just pour in the final third. The subs made no impact whatsoever. JBG and Brady have been very very poor this season.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:06 pm

I think it was just 1 of them days, 2nd half i would have left hendrick on as another poster has alluded to there would have been more control in midfield without being overrun as kouyate was breaking too much, the game was there to win going off the first half albeit a goal behind unfortunately, sean gambled to get back into it too soon instead of probing & hoping for a break, the 2nd goal was a good finish & heads dropped after then, with the limitations I'm not sure much could have been changed after the 2nd.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:06 pm

I suggested the same jd. I actually thought it was a foregone conclusion.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:07 pm

I don’t know what you could do when players didn't want the ball.
What system in the world protects players who are hiding when they're losing?

The front two simply have to do more to influence the game as we get outnumbered in centre midfield to allow two strikers. Goals tally is fine bit all round play needs to improve.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:08 pm

Played Crouchy from the start knowing Palace are poor at the back.We needed to create havoc in thier box
This we did at the end and could have knicked a draw

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:10 pm

jdrobbo wrote:I’d have brought Brady on for McNeil (rather than Hendrick) and after having success with the ball, would have encouraged us to have played more football in the final third. Get balls into feet and take the wind out of the equation.
I’d be interested to know why you would have put Brady on for McNeil! Unless he seriously steps it up I’d be looking to get rid in the summer offers absolutely nothing at the minute.
These 4 users liked this post: Dark Cloud Dark Cloud tarkys_ears burnleymik

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4842 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:22 pm

Brady needs game time, it’s as simple as that. He grows into games, we saw that between August and November last season. He never will be an impact player from the bench. McNeil has been excellent and will become a wonderful player for us: at this moment he needs resting!
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Burnley Ace

clansman
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by clansman » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:24 pm

McNeil needs to play, Brady is pretty poor.We just need to be brave and have McNeil playing down the wing and taking people on. And JBG needs to step up to he plate a bit more. Another hit and miss player.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:28 pm

Play football not hoofball.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:31 pm

Very early on, when it was clear that Hodgson's tactic was to target our left flank with Zaha,(rather than targeting Bardsley), I would have swapped Hendrick and McNeill to the opposite side, thus enabling McNeill to play a more attacking role, with Hendrick giving Taylor and Mee more defensive support.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 1521 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:35 pm

Not much.

There's no squad to do anything with so if it's not working, there's not a lot to do.

I wouldn't be starting Hendrick and Brady wouldn't be making the subs bench.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:38 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Very early on, when it was clear that Hodgson's tactic was to target our left flank with Zaha,(rather than targeting Bardsley), I would have swapped Hendrick and McNeill to the opposite side, thus enabling McNeill to play a more attacking role, with Hendrick giving Taylor and Mee more defensive support.
I agree with this. I'd also have probably taken off Cork rather than Hendrick at half time and moved Hendrick inside.

But not so much wrong today.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:46 pm

I would have put Gibson on for Tarkowsky. It was clear from the 1st pass he made that went at least 10 yards above Bardsley's head that he wasn't going to be good today. I would have put Brady on for McNiell - if he was tired on Tuesday as SD said then it follows that he would still be tired today

Moorite
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 108 times

Post by Moorite » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:46 pm

I would of started Brady with McNeil on the bench. I love the young lad but he needs a rest.

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1171 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by burnleymik » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:49 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:The trouble is our first and most obvious change is our wide men and taking off Hendrick and or McNeil is absolutely pointless because their replacements (Brady and JBG) are hopelessly out of form and make absolutely no difference whatsoever

I beg to differ on that one. JBG had a big impact when he came on against Tottenham and set up our second goal. He also had a good impact when he came on against against Southampton. He wasn't as good today though and had a poor game against Newcastle.

Brady hasn't had much impact and he looks rusty at the moment.

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:51 pm

Might have been worth trying JGB for Mcneil at half time as we definitely missed Jeff's presence in the middle for the second half.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:54 pm

burnleymik wrote:I beg to differ on that one. JBG had a big impact when he came on against Tottenham and set up our second goal. He also had a good impact when he came on against against Southampton. He wasn't as good today though and had a poor game against Newcastle.

Brady hasn't had much impact and he looks rusty at the moment.
In my post I did acknowledge JBG's role in setting up the winner last Saturday, but we are definitely agreed that at Newcastle he was bobbins and his impact today, especially his crossing, was woeful! And yet that was still more influential than the hapless Brady. :?

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4566 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:54 pm

I would have put Crouch on with 30 minutes to go, probably for Bardsley, and played 3 up top.
3-4-3
Then hopefully our crosses MIGHT have reached a Burnley player....

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 700 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:00 pm

Asked the players to pass the ball along the ground to feet rather than blindly up in the air anywhere near the penalty area.
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:14 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:Played Crouchy from the start knowing Palace are poor at the back.We needed to create havoc in thier box
This we did at the end and could have knicked a draw
Poor at the back? They looked excellent today.

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:42 pm

Foulthrow wrote:Poor at the back? They looked excellent today.
The CB, Tomkins, won absolutely everything in the air, all afternoon. They completely neutralised our long ball and all the crosses, I agree they certainly were not poor.
These 3 users liked this post: bobinho Foulthrow simonclaret

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1647 times
Has Liked: 402 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:23 pm

I would have put Crouch on at 60 minutes. It was obvious we were in a “pumping balls up” mode and it was obvious that wasn’t going to change. They had won most things in the air up to then, but as soon as Crouch came on he caused panic in the previously settled defence. But we all know Dyche likes a substitute pecking order. The two (usually) reserve wingers were always to be the first to come off.

I would also have pulled McNeil much sooner - the kid can’t yet track back effectively, Taylor isn’t a great left back, and some extra support would have helped combat the outstanding Zaha.

Saying that though, we have just lost 2 games where our Expected Goals were far higher than our opponents’. That is a far cry from early in the season so no panic.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:38 pm

Don’t think Jeff deserved to be hooked at half time. Thought he was having a good game.

Once they scored their 2nd the game looked over within a few minutes as we went backwards and they got stronger.
I would have brought Crouch on earlier than we did as Tompkins was winning everything. When Crouch came on they looked a bit shaky for the first time in the game.

That said bringing on Crouch for much more than 20 minutes is probably not the answer - not sure he can last that long and booting it up to him can only be effective for so long.

In truth with Brady not having a good game for us since Bournemouth away last season, Vydra not good enough and JBG not anywhere near his fittest / best we have not enough quality or options on the bench to come back against a decent side like Palace.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:44 pm

Done exactly what i did, and handed in that "are you renewing" form in, with a big fat No and my signature on it.
Never felt more justified than walking down Yorkshire Street at 16:40, today than I have I a long while.
( Mr Garlick left at the same time for balance... )

#Garlickstinks

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10248 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:48 pm

Jesus wept. And we mock the Rovers fans for being spineless gob******.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:51 pm

I'd have too, many a nail to accompany the public shame.

But our God and creator of all, will still forgive everything. Some forget his sacrifice.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:13 am

MACCA wrote:Done exactly what i did, and handed in that "are you renewing" form in, with a big fat No and my signature on it.
Never felt more justified than walking down Yorkshire Street at 16:40, today than I have I a long while.
( Mr Garlick left at the same time for balance... )

#Garlickstinks

Ha ha ha, a meltdown from the uber fan.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:43 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Ha ha ha, a meltdown from the uber fan.
Zero meltdown, decision was made in September 2018.

Although I could renew and give you the ticket if you're still struggling to afford to attend the games?

bobinho
Been Liked: 4105 times
Has Liked: 6588 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:52 am

Unless Jeff was injured, utterly pointless substitution. And I’m in conplete disagreement with CFC when he said it was predictable. No one who has watched SD’s Burnley for any length of time would put money on that sub at that time.... he just doesn’t do that. Jeff had a decent half, and when I think of all the times he’s played 90 mins and it’s looked like we only had ten men on the pitch, to take him off when he’s having an effect is puzzling unless he was injured. Bizarre really, but not the first time anyone has questioned a change.... it’s an element of his management that creates the most questions I think.

Crouch panicked them when he came on, but it was 10/15 minutes too late for me. Tomkins was in complete control at the back until then.... helped massively by the poor balls being aimlessly pumped up there.

First half was encouraging. Certainly better than Newcastle.

Roy Hodgson seems to do well against SD.
This user liked this post: mdd2

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:18 am

jdrobbo wrote:I’d have brought Brady on for McNeil (rather than Hendrick) and after having success with the ball, would have encouraged us to have played more football in the final third. Get balls into feet and take the wind out of the equation.
Couldn't agree more.Most high balls into the box were easily dealt with by Palace and we should have tried keeping it on the deck far more than we did.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:23 am

Come on Macca, you can't just say something like that without a reason so we can take the **** even more?

What is it?

Garlick slighted you in Nelson Aldi?

You still haven't got over your chance of swanning around Europe watching us in the Europa?

Come on, its a slow Sunday!

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:24 am

Everyone around me was in agreement that Dyche needed to bring on JBG at half time for Hendrick. I was a little surprised he did it so soon but everyone was pleased.
Jeff was getting in good areas but his final ball was woeful. We needed better quality in there.

Unfortunately JBG was just as bad when he came on.

We can't blame Dyche for that. A little two faced if we do.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:34 am

Depends if you are surrounded by reasonable people, or Hendrick haters.

At half time there was no need to substitute anyone.
This user liked this post: burnleymik

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5049 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:58 am

We didn't need to change the players, just get back to what we did well. Since boxing day we've finally started getting the ball down to the corners, and pulling it back for the strikers. Too often yesterday the ball was floated in from just inside their half, and it was too bloody easy for the keeper, or their centre halves to deal with. When they had the ball they passed it around so much better than us, we only had Westwood that looked anywhere near good enough. Dwight looked knackered, and JBG looked unfit still, Taylor defended well but couldn't get down the line enough. The less said about Jack the better.
It is fine margins when you come up against st teams outside the top 6, and we weren't millions of miles away, but still second best.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

Joe14
Been Liked: 252 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Joe14 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:24 am

I would have scored two in the first half and gone in leading.

Far too many wasted opportunities. I lost count.

Palace had few chances but they didn’t pizz about!!

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:27 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Come on Macca, you can't just say something like that without a reason so we can take the **** even more?

What is it?

Garlick slighted you in Nelson Aldi?

You still haven't got over your chance of swanning around Europe watching us in the Europa?

Come on, its a slow Sunday!

Stumbled on this as I wasn't quoted, a lot of people do that as it seems they've won the discussion or battle of childish name calling.

Anyway back to the point, what are you talking about, can't say something like that?

Not sure what you mean about Aldi or Nelson, wouldn't live or go there by choice, and think I've only ever stepped in Aldi once, and that was the Burnley one to get 50 Easter Eggs 2 years ago. Possibly Mr Garlick was in there, but I can't say for certain.

I hope I've put whatever was upsetting you to bed?
It's certainly not a slow Sunday for me, I've prepped tea, got a roast in the oven, will go church, then a walk, some ironing to do, before settling down for the Football and my Sunday lunch, although not sure whether to eat before, during or after it finishes.

I got my chance to "swan around Europe" and what a bloody good do it was, life long memories and experiences I'll never forget.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:27 am

bobinho wrote:Depends if you are surrounded by reasonable people, or Hendrick haters.

At half time there was no need to substitute anyone.
Or maybe people who have watched Hendrick and JBG for a few years and have all seen the difference in quality if both are on form.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:46 am

Maybe. But Hendrick has suffered badly from being dumped in a position he has never been suited to, that's why there are a lot of Hendrick haters. Under the usual circumstances, a blind man on a galloping horse can see the difference between the two, i'll give you that - that's not related to form. But finding a position for Hendrick that he suits, will see a better player than he gets credit for.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:50 am

MACCA wrote:Stumbled on this as I wasn't quoted, a lot of people do that as it seems they've won the discussion or battle of childish name calling.

Anyway back to the point, what are you talking about, can't say something like that?

Not sure what you mean about Aldi or Nelson, wouldn't live or go there by choice, and think I've only ever stepped in Aldi once, and that was the Burnley one to get 50 Easter Eggs 2 years ago. Possibly Mr Garlick was in there, but I can't say for certain.

I hope I've put whatever was upsetting you to bed?
It's certainly not a slow Sunday for me, I've prepped tea, got a roast in the oven, will go church, then a walk, some ironing to do, before settling down for the Football and my Sunday lunch, although not sure whether to eat before, during or after it finishes.

I got my chance to "swan around Europe" and what a bloody good do it was, life long memories and experiences I'll never forget.
I'd go for before or after. A good Sunday roast deserves ALL your attention.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:19 pm

Stumbled on this as I wasn't quoted, a lot of people do that as it seems they've won the discussion or battle of childish name calling.
Not the intention but hey ho, anyone who hands in a season ticket renewal form with "No" when the team is as good as its going to get surely questioning why they have decided to do it?

I'd get it if you were just a bit bored, but to moan about the chairman?

Don't get that

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:25 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Not the intention but hey ho, anyone who hands in a season ticket renewal form with "No" when the team is as good as its going to get surely questioning why they have decided to do it?

Don't get that
Do you not think that you've been had?
Come on, you're a bright bloke.
(There's a clue in who's posting it.)

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:59 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Not the intention but hey ho, anyone who hands in a season ticket renewal form with "No" when the team is as good as its going to get surely questioning why they have decided to do it?

Don't get that
You don't need to get it.

Who mentioned the chairman?
Why is "when the team is as good as its going to get "?
IDo you not have faith in the manager and/or the board to get us where we are not in a relegation battle every year? Do you not think we could establish ourselves as a solid mid table outfit? Maybe even lift a cup?

I'd be hoping the team improves massively next term, but i am an optamist. I see why you may feel this is the best the team will ever get.

I respect your opinion.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:00 pm

bobinho wrote:I'd go for before or after. A good Sunday roast deserves ALL your attention.

I have decided to do just that, 15:15 serve time, ready to sit and rest watching the footy.