One footed

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cblantfanclub
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 307 times

One footed

Post by cblantfanclub » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:41 am

Could Mc Neil's one footed limitations prevent him becoming the player we all want him to be or don't you think it matters ? Palace had him worked out. I can't understand why we can't get this sorted in training. Having said that I recognise there have been many great one footed players but I still hope the coaching staff are working on this.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Re: One footed

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:52 am

How many genuine two footed players are there in the premier league?

This topic normally comes up with players who are outstanding with one foot.

Archer
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 146 times

Post by Archer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:56 am

It always comes up more with left-footed players too.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2008 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:39 pm

He’s had a couple of games below his previous standard. A bit early for thinking the PL have sussed him. Whether under instruction or not he has also come off his wing a little too often. It works best when he shows up in the middle and catches the defence out. Playing there they are awake to him.
This user liked this post: cblantfanclub

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:48 pm

No reason to doubt a 19yr old terrific prospect after barely two lesser performances. I was actually surprised by his consistency over the past weeks. No more than normal that he’s suffered a dip recently.
Maybe now it’s time for our 12 million quid winger, who’s also one footed, to finally show some consistency
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:57 pm

I was one footed until I spent ages practicing. He's got the facilities and the time to improve on a daily basis. Crouch meanwhile, is 38 and he still hasn't learned to put the ball in at the near post, otherwise it would have been 3-2 on Saturday.
This user liked this post: cblantfanclub

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:20 pm

His positional sense in the last 2 games hasn’t been the best. Caught inside and in no mans land too often.
Needs to get wide for Charlie more and get meaningful blocks in if not full blown tackles

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:17 pm

cblantfanclub wrote:Could Mc Neil's one footed limitations prevent him becoming the player we all want him to be or don't you think it matters ? Palace had him worked out. I can't understand why we can't get this sorted in training. Having said that I recognise there have been many great one footed players but I still hope the coaching staff are working on this.
It's easy to forget he's 19 and still got tonnes of scope for improvement. He may well always be a player who strongly favours his left foot, but he's got about 5 years to make his right foot into a serviceable weapon before we can start saying his one footedness is a real limiting factor. David Beckham rarely delivered a ball with his left foot unless he had to.

He's actually willing enough to use it for short passes, so I suspect it's already more effective than we're seeing in the glare of a match situation, and a it part of this may well be confidence in the heat of the moment.

He's a great young kid with lots of ability, but he's inevitably going to have weaknesses and it's no surprise that teams have begun to identify those and challenge him to overcome them. Funnily enough, at the moment, I wonder if it's as relevant as his one footedness that primarily wants the ball to feet, and we saw Wan Bissaka exploit that yesterday to push up the pitch leaving space in behind in the knowledge that McNeil was unlikely to run into it for a ball played into space. That's one reason why I think his long term future lies in the centre, but in any event his movement will I'm sure improve as his game develops.

And even allowing for the fact Palace managed to stop him playing to his strengths, he still did more good stuff in the game yesterday than he's getting credit for. Dyche will probably have appreciated the fact that on a number of occasions he dropped inside, committed the defender and slipped it to Taylor - I don't think he does that because he lacks the confidence to do more, but because he's already got the game-sense to know the simple option is often the most effective.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:26 pm

I'm more worried about Dyche attempting to convert him into another workhorse tbh.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6955 times
Has Liked: 1480 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:31 pm

After his first couple of starts for us I thought he was fairly two footed and had the ability to drop his shoulder and go in either direction. However since then his left-footedness has become much more apparent. He’s no more one-footed than any of our other players, JBG for instance on the opposite flank cuts inside onto his left foot 9 times out of 10.

Regards McNeill’s performance, it’s notable that our main attacking threat again was Charlie Taylor who was given space to attack by McNeill drifting inside and acting as a third midfielder. The problem with this being that Taylor has got a very poor final ball on him. I’d much rather see McNeill responsible for putting the ball into the box.
This user liked this post: SalisburyClaret

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2974 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:06 pm

Thought this was a post about Taylor. ;)

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:14 pm

Think Rileybobs is right, McNeill is playing in a way that allows Taylor to be our main crossing option. It would be far better if it was the other way round