Sharron Davies

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Sharron Davies

Post by Blackrod » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:15 pm

Says transgender sports people should not compete with females. Martina Navratilova said something similar recently. Fair enough ? Not sure why it’s sparked a row. Should they have their own events and competitions so they are on a level footing ?
This user liked this post: Bosscat

bobinho
Been Liked: 4071 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Re: Sharron Davies

Post by bobinho » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:20 pm

Yep. Fair enough.

Male athletes are almost always better/faster/stronger than their female counterparts, no amount of PC testicles will change that.

This is just wrong.

No doubt Davies will be blasted in the same way Navratilova has been.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:23 pm

Struggling to see anything wrong at all in what she's said.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:45 pm

Stone her.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:58 pm

She is spot on.

Cue Turtle...
This user liked this post: bf2k

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:29 pm

The real issue is that no-one knows. There's certain requirements (testosterone below a certain level for a year or something) before you qualify to take part in women's sports but there haven't been any large scale studies of it.

Although I guess one way of looking at it is that trans athletes have been allowed to compete in women's sports for about the past 15 years or so and the number of olympic/world champions is zero which suggests it may not be a huge advantage.

TomtheClaret
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 153 times

Post by TomtheClaret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:35 pm

Its all (about the) B0llocks

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:39 pm

You can't change physiology.

In the same way that folk with wrong chromosomes were ruled out previously, so should anyone else who fails the sex test.

Otherwise, Russia will be sorting out their next generation of 'female' athletes!
"Young Vlad...I am sorry to tell you that you are not good enough for our Olympic protege scheme. However, you are a nice, fresh faced young man....We can get you to gold medal standard in the women's races...You just need a couple of adjustments,...Olga"

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:03 pm

She's wrong when she says that transgender people choose to identify as a gender, but there's nothing wrong with the rest of her opinion.

What i'm finding amusing is Blackrod posting yet another thread about transgender people, who he clearly has a problem with, and citing someone who accepts that transgender people exist and if she is an ally of his in this issue.

I wonder why Blackrod is so anti-trans.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5522 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:00 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:
He once pulled a 6-foot Amazonian stunner in Panama’s but when he got her home he found himself faced with the last turkey in the shop. It’s scarred him for life.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:01 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:She's wrong when she says that transgender people choose to identify as a gender, but there's nothing wrong with the rest of her opinion.

What i'm finding amusing is Blackrod posting yet another thread about transgender people, who he clearly has a problem with, and citing someone who accepts that transgender people exist and if she is an ally of his in this issue.

Here you go again

If you have a problem or question for someone ask them directly, not the other posters as you frequently do. Politcal animal.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:07 pm

Stayingup wrote:Here you go again

If you have a problem or question for someone ask them directly, not the other posters as you frequently do. Politcal animal.
I haven't asked any questions. And in the past when I ask questions people get upset an accuse me of trying to cause an argument. So would you like me to tell you where to go?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:11 pm

Suggesting someone is anti transgender is trying to cause an argument.....and you know that.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:13 pm

TVC15 wrote:Suggesting someone is anti transgender is trying to cause an argument.....and you know that.
I wasn't suggesting it. I'm outright saying it. Blackrod is clearly anti-trans.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:42 pm

She’s right, and Martina Navratilova was right too.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat basil6345789

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:50 pm

She is right and there is nothing Transphobic in what she is saying as people are trying to make out.. Some people will do anything to put a stain on people's characters.. Some have even said she should lose her MBE ..

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8432 times
Has Liked: 18099 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:03 pm

Where in what Sharon says is there any Transphobia....

Sorry but she is absolutely right....

Anyone who says different is Cisgenderphobic
This user liked this post: basil6345789

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:00 pm

Serious question. Are there actually real people who believe that Peter Crouch ought to be allowed to play for England Ladies in the World Cup? It would be a way of extending his career and quite likely winning medals, and if all he has to do is declare himself to be a woman ... ?

It would be simpler to just accept there are four sexes now. There are the old-fashioned two, which have been based on chromosomes since long before anyone had even heard of chromosomes. Y chromosomes and penis - male, no Y chromosome and no penis - female. For purposes such as segregation in sport, which toilets to use, and employment rights, these two sexes haven't changed.

And there are the new sexes, based on what is in the mind. These will not impact sport because if they are allowed to, women's sport will cease to have meaning. On the subject of employment, it will be tricky - Germaine Greer is against some of the ideas because equal opportunity of employment is based on the idea that physically, men and women are different but mentally, they aren't. If the new orthodoxy is that mentally, men and women are more different than they are physically, then the whole logic behind the Sex Discrimination Acts is up the tubes.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:09 pm

dsr wrote:Serious question. Are there actually real people who believe that Peter Crouch ought to be allowed to play for England Ladies in the World Cup?
Would he have to leave us to do this? My answer depends on that...
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:12 pm

thatdberight wrote:Would he have to leave us to do this? My answer depends on that...
I doubt he would be allowed to be a man on Saturdays and a woman on Sundays. But I don't see any legal objection to him changing to a woman for the World Cup Finals and then switching back to be a man afterwards. Just that he couldn't do it too often or people might get suspicious! :twisted:

aggi

Post by aggi » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:14 pm

dsr wrote:Serious question. Are there actually real people who believe that Peter Crouch ought to be allowed to play for England Ladies in the World Cup? It would be a way of extending his career and quite likely winning medals, and if all he has to do is declare himself to be a woman ... ?
Well, that plus hormone therapy for a few years

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:24 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:I wasn't suggesting it. I'm outright saying it. Blackrod is clearly anti-trans.
It’s a shame you’re not a Blackpool fan Imploding Turtle, you would’ve been introduced to the words, foolish, libellous, permanent and banned by now. Words I hope you become familiar with sooner rather than later.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:43 pm

aggi wrote:Well, that plus hormone therapy for a few years
Would hormone therapy make him shorter?

Anyway, that isn't relevant. As I understand it, the point of a trangender woman is not that she is a man who is planning to undergo hormone therapy or physical changes. She is already a woman even though she has penis, beard, the full traditionally male paraphernalia. Peter Crouch may be a woman right now, and we are just waiting for him to declare it.

Remember the pregnant man a few weeks back? He was legally a man, apparently, but still became pregnant (Lord knows how!) and gave birth, and was sueing to have his (or her, I'm losing track) designation on the birth certificate changed from mother to father. This is what the people who sacked Navratilova are looking for - they want a man (or what old-fashioned people would perceive to be a man) to be able to say "I am a woman" and to compete in the women's section of sporting events.
Last edited by dsr on Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:47 pm

dsr wrote:I doubt he would be allowed to be a man on Saturdays and a woman on Sundays. But I don't see any legal objection to him changing to a woman for the World Cup Finals and then switching back to be a man afterwards. Just that he couldn't do it too often or people might get suspicious! :twisted:
You're clearly gender-fluidphobic. Who are you to say he/she/it/they/xe/ze can't change identification as often as he/she/it/they/xe/ze wants? And yeah, gender-fluidphobic is a real thing. At least as real as any of the rest of this stuff.
This user liked this post: dsr

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1486 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:59 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:She's wrong when she says that transgender people choose to identify as a gender, but there's nothing wrong with the rest of her opinion.

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:02 am

dsr wrote:Would hormone therapy make him shorter?

Anyway, that isn't relevant. As I understand it, the point of a trangender woman is not that she is a man who is planning to undergo hormone therapy or physical changes. She is already a woman even though she has penis, beard, the full traditionally male paraphernalia. Peter Crouch may be a woman right now, and we are just waiting for him to declare it.

Remember the pregnant man a few weeks back? He was legally a man, apparently, but still became pregnant (Lord knows how!) and gave birth, and was sueing to have his (or her, I'm losing track) designation on the birth certificate changed from mother to father. This is what the people who sacked Navratilova are looking for - they want a man (or what old-fashioned people would perceive to be a man) to be able to say "I am a woman" and to compete in the women's section of sporting events.
I've not seen them saying that they disagree with the IOC rules on trans athletes. Have you got a link for that?

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:02 am

dsr wrote:Would hormone therapy make him shorter?

This is what anti-trans bigotry looks like. Mocking them for their gender dysphoria with **** like this.
There's also the casual bigotry of pretending not to understand that gender dysphoria is about the gender of the mind not matching the sex of the body which runs throughout dsr's bigoted posts, and no doubt his bigoted little mind.

This is the sort of thing we need to be stamping out. This kind of mockery of people who have spent their entire life trying to come to terms with something that the pieces of human garbage who mock them will never understand.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2290 times

Post by basil6345789 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:06 am

Blackrod wrote:Says transgender sports people should not compete with females. Martina Navratilova said something similar recently. Fair enough ? Not sure why it’s sparked a row. Should they have their own events and competitions so they are on a level footing ?
Yes - think of a name for it.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:49 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:This is what anti-trans bigotry looks like. Mocking them for their gender dysphoria with **** like this.
There's also the casual bigotry of pretending not to understand that gender dysphoria is about the gender of the mind not matching the sex of the body which runs throughout dsr's bigoted posts, and no doubt his bigoted little mind.

This is the sort of thing we need to be stamping out. This kind of mockery of people who have spent their entire life trying to come to terms with something that the pieces of human garbage who mock them will never understand.
Bigoted indeed. You have your opinions, and you consider anyone who disagrees to be unquestionably, irrefutably, wrong. There are only two opinions - the Great Turtle's opinion, and the wrong opinion.

A pregnant woman is a pregnant woman. Fact. There are two issues here, and I don't know which one you disagree with. One is the scientific one - a person with two X chromosomes, a womb, and a growing baby inside her, is of the gender that gives birth not the gender that impregnates. You like scientific fact - well, that's one.

And the other issue is that through all nations and all languages and all history, those gender differences have been referred to by linguistic terms (different words in other languages, but with the same meaning) "man" and "woman". This "man"/"woman" difference being defined on the basis of the scientific, physical differences mentioned above.

Sport is a physical activity, and science absolutely proves that there are physical differences between male and female which for the purposes of sport must continue to be acknowledged or it means the end of women's sport. These physical differences have a label - "male" "female". End of story. If transgender activists want to confuse the issue by applying the same labels to the different gender categorisations of the "gender of the mind", that is unhelpful. They would be better off inventing new words rather than using an existing word to mean something different.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:38 am

dsr wrote:Bigoted indeed. You have your opinions, and you consider anyone who disagrees to be unquestionably, irrefutably, wrong. There are only two opinions - the Great Turtle's opinion, and the wrong opinion.

A pregnant woman is a pregnant woman. Fact. There are two issues here, and I don't know which one you disagree with. One is the scientific one - a person with two X chromosomes, a womb, and a growing baby inside her, is of the gender that gives birth not the gender that impregnates. You like scientific fact - well, that's one.

And the other issue is that through all nations and all languages and all history, those gender differences have been referred to by linguistic terms (different words in other languages, but with the same meaning) "man" and "woman". This "man"/"woman" difference being defined on the basis of the scientific, physical differences mentioned above.

Sport is a physical activity, and science absolutely proves that there are physical differences between male and female which for the purposes of sport must continue to be acknowledged or it means the end of women's sport. These physical differences have a label - "male" "female". End of story. If transgender activists want to confuse the issue by applying the same labels to the different gender categorisations of the "gender of the mind", that is unhelpful. They would be better off inventing new words rather than using an existing word to mean something different.
I'm sick of explaining this to idiots. Just because someone has the physical charactistics of a woman does not mean their gender is female. Therefore it's perfectly possible for someone who has the physical characteristics of a woman but the gender of a man to have a baby, because whether or not someone can grow a baby inside them is not determined by their gender, it's determined by whether they have the physical capability to grow a ******* baby.

How difficult is that to understand? This isn't my opinion, this is biology. If you disagree with that then you are indeed "unquestionably, irrefutably, wrong".

But even disagreeing with that doesn't make YOU a bigot. What makes you a bigot is mocking transgendered people because they're transgendered. Even if, as i assume you believe, it was a mental illness and not a scientifically-supported condition of gender dysphoria, that still means you're mocking someone you consider to be mentally ill, and that still makes you - well, i'm not allowed to say what it makes you but i think the decent people among us can figure it out.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:46 am

It’s better having more categories less confusion & controversy.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:17 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:This is what anti-trans bigotry looks like. Mocking them for their gender dysphoria with **** like this.

Did somebody open a transgender debate ?

Not getting involved.

Suerly they will laugh in 500 years at the barbaric mutilation of the human body and focus on fixing the mind.

So everybody is binary!

cue the cape fear theme tune as we dwell on this!

NottsClaret

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:05 am

Turtle, without picking arguments and shouting ‘bigot’, do you want to discuss the issues females have with males competing in their sports.

Also, are you not concerned- as many feminists are - that the concept of gender being based on lazy, sexist and outdated stereotypes of what constitutes being a man or woman is actually a backward, regressive and insulting step.

Incidentally I have no issue with anyone transitioning, it’s a short life and you should be happy. My missus is quite the feminist and my daughter plays a lot of sport so i’ve possibly read up on too much from the female / feminist perspective but then it’s not difficult to hear the male view of anything in the world.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:15 am

1. I’m not.
2. I think it’s a good idea to have separate competitions.
3. You complete clown.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:19 am

Been trying to follow this one.

I don't see what is wrong with the position of the female athletes who have concerns about this to be honest.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:29 am

Don't think you can be somatic female but genetically male and become pregnant naturally. The XY females have streak gonads and are infertile and those with testicular feminisation syndrome are genetically male with testes but develop as females due to insensitivity to testosterone. Both these people could compete as females as they are somatic females.
Reverting to female anatomy from both a male somatic and genetic form will give advantages until the effects of male hormones on muscle mass has faded completely.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:34 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:I wasn't suggesting it. I'm outright saying it. Blackrod is clearly anti-trans.
Pathetic and libellous IT....fully deserving of a ban if not retracted.
Rather than throw out unsubstantiated allegations why don’t you stick to the OP and tell us all what you think is wrong with Sharron Davies’ view.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:35 am

mdd2 wrote:Don't think you can be somatic female but genetically male and become pregnant naturally. The XY females have streak gonads and are infertile and those with testicular feminisation syndrome are genetically male with testes but develop as females due to insensitivity to testosterone. Both these people could compete as females as they are somatic females.
Reverting to female anatomy from both a male somatic and genetic form will give advantages until the effects of male hormones on muscle mass has faded completely.
You had me at streak gonads Mdd2 !

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1209 times
Has Liked: 7099 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:45 am

Blackrod wrote:Says transgender sports people should not compete with females. Martina Navratilova said something similar recently. Fair enough ? Not sure why it’s sparked a row. Should they have their own events and competitions so they are on a level footing ?
She's absolutely right. If they want to compete, it should be with men. Because that's what they are, even if they don't want to be.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:52 am

TVC15 wrote:Pathetic and libellous IT....fully deserving of a ban if not retracted.
Rather than throw out unsubstantiated allegations why don’t you stick to the OP and tell us all what you think is wrong with Sharron Davies’ view.
See post #9

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:59 am

martin_p wrote:See post #9
Cheers - apologies I missed that amongst all the other crap posted !

android
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by android » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:09 am

IT - do you not care about womens sport? Do you really think it is ALL about the science? Surely you are smart enough to realise that some people will pretend to take advantage of an opportunity?

An extreme example perhaps but if I were John Isner, I would be tempted to become Joanna Isner for the last couple of years of my career. Joanna would clean up on the womens tour and even Serena would have no chance. The prize money from 8 grand slam titles alone would be close to £20m plus any other tournament Joanna cares to enter.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:23 am

android wrote:IT - do you not care about womens sport? Do you really think it is ALL about the science? Surely you are smart enough to realise that some people will pretend to take advantage of an opportunity?

An extreme example perhaps but if I were John Isner, I would be tempted to become Joanna Isner for the last couple of years of my career. Joanna would clean up on the womens tour and even Serena would have no chance. The prize money from 8 grand slam titles alone would be close to £20m plus any other tournament Joanna cares to enter.
Can I point out, for those that haven't read what IT has said, that he's agreed with Sharon Davies on transgender peple competing with women. Some people see and username and want to argue whatever they've said!

NottsClaret

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:26 am

martin_p wrote:Can I point out, for those that haven't read what IT has said, that he's agreed with Sharon Davies on transgender peple competing with women. Some people see and username and want to argue whatever they've said!
That's a fair point martin. He didn't help himself though, chucking insults around and having a pop at the poster. It'd be fine to say 'yeah, that's right' regardless of who posts it. I've agreed with plenty of things both the turtle or Rowls have put on here. Even a stopped clock etc..

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:05 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll:
2019... isn't it fun

Tell you what. Scrap all the genders. No mens or womens, just 1 team.
If your good enough your the right sex.

And you're not allowed to say that wouldn't be fair, otherwise you'll be admitting men and women are different :D
This user liked this post: dsr

android
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by android » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:51 pm

martin_p wrote:Can I point out, for those that haven't read what IT has said, that he's agreed with Sharon Davies on transgender peple competing with women. Some people see and username and want to argue whatever they've said!
Fair point Martin, IT agrees with Sharron Davies apart from the bit he disagrees with. I am genuinely curious on 2 points with IT:

1) Does he really not realise that some people have different motives for choosing their gender - there will be fakers and takers? and
2) Does he agree with me that not only is there "nothing wrong" with what Sharron Davies said but what she said is very, very, very important to protect womens sport.

It's all very well IT leaping on other posters with the usual name calling but he then goes very quiet when questions he does not like are asked.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:58 pm

People have different motives for choosing gender??

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:57 pm

Sharron Davies is still bang tidy though, isn’t she?
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Lancasterclaret

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:50 pm

Is it true that trans have been competing in the olympics for the last 15 years as quoted above? Apart from Fatima Whitbred back in the day who was found to have a "fully functioning penis but female hormones" I've never heard of blokes (no matter how cavalier the term) competing against women. It's a preposterous notion that you can just get your meat and 2 veg lopped off and take a few pills,put a dress on and hey presto you can compete against girls! While I've little doubt a couple on here may well identify as TG seems to me that Sharon Davies is simply talking common sense.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8432 times
Has Liked: 18099 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:58 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:Is it true that trans have been competing in the olympics for the last 15 years as quoted above? Apart from Fatima Whitbred back in the day who was found to have a "fully functioning penis but female hormones" .
I would be very careful of statements like that feller...

Fatima Whitbread is not a man, although she has always had a masculine look about her and at a second glance I probably think that she could be mistaken for a man. Having said that, she was a very successful former British javelin thrower and multiple medal-winner. She was also married to Andrew Norman (an athlete) and they have one son, I think her husband died a few years ago.