Rule changes from next season

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Re: Rule changes from next season

Post by thatdberight » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:44 pm

No Ney Never wrote:After walking ten yards and spraying a line, the ref will then spray a one metre circle around the line?

:D

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1864 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:50 pm

10 yard then 1 meter? :shock:

Why don’t they stick to one measurement unit?

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:05 pm

Seems that the penalty rebound change isn't happening according to the mirror.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... t-14089545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:09 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:10 yard then 1 meter? :shock:

Why don’t they stick to one measurement unit?
The official distance is 9.15m, which is 10 yards.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:33 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:I agreed with the initial rule change, but this has made me change my mind.
Even if it only happened once every 5 years or so - I’d still rather a chance it could though.

Seems like that rule isn’t coming in though thankfully.

Archie Claret
Been Liked: 89 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by Archie Claret » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:49 pm

Re. The Wall ruling...seems a shame we will be denied skill such as this also

https://youtu.be/bEnZ6FzFU6k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great free kick!

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:29 am

Will the rule change for keepers being allowed just one foot on the line make much difference?

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:04 pm

dsr wrote:The substitution rule could be more easily overcome with a 15 second timer on the electric board. If the subbed player is not off within the 15 seconds, he would still have to leave the field but the sub could not come on till the next break in play.

Presumably in the wall, the attackers will be able to stand in front of the ref's white line, or a yard behind it (though I don't see why they would want to) but not on it.

With penalties, will it still be a goal if the ball hits the post, bounces onto the goalkeeper, and goes in?
That could cause arguments if the player going off is injured. Would they allow extra time for a player limping badly or worse still being stretchered off? If so who would make that call?
The penalty one is welcome for me because they already do that in shoot outs - especially if a goalie saves it he has always had little chance to recover for a follow up.
The handball one is probably the best rule change in years - should stop a few Arsenal goals. ;)

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:24 pm

houseboy wrote:That could cause arguments if the player going off is injured. Would they allow extra time for a player limping badly or worse still being stretchered off?
No, because if they did, every substituted player would limp badly. You can't make a rule that is absolutely fair under all circumstances; you have to do the best you can. And if all players are going to try all tactics, legal and otherwise, to get round the rules; then it's inevitable that new rules brought in to stop the cheating, will sometimes have an adverse effect.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5268 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:25 pm

Extra change too but only in grassroots football from next season.

There will be temporary dismissals for dissent only which will be for ten minutes. It will apply to all games from level 7 down in the pyramid.

Shore claret
Been Liked: 267 times
Has Liked: 660 times

Post by Shore claret » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:35 pm

If the ref enforced the encroachment rule a penalty could take for ever to take, there is always encroachment from both sides

Shore claret
Been Liked: 267 times
Has Liked: 660 times

Post by Shore claret » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:37 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Extra change too but only in grassroots football from next season.

There will be temporary dismissals for dissent only which will be for ten minutes. It will apply to all games from level 7 down in the pyramid.
That's good for kids football there's some fight foul mouthed little turds that could do with 10 minutes time out.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:18 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Extra change too but only in grassroots football from next season.

This has been something which has been trialled in a number of leagues below the pyramid, however, it has sometimes proved a real difficult thing to administer with just a referee on his own and club assistants. I know of one instance where there were six players in the 'sin bin' for various reasons and they ended up arguing about just when they should be allowed back onto the pitch. The referee was trying to referee the game, which also had 'rolling sub' and he was also having to keep an eye on the time for these players in the 'sin bin'. It ended up in total confusion and everyone blamed the referee, although not one official from either club tried to help the situation.
I can only see it becoming more difficult to administer with the second offences coming into play and a referee acting on his own. At least, in the games in the Pyramid System, there should be three officials which will help. In the lower leagues I can see more officials just packing it in and we are losing a lot now so it will be interesting to see just what effect this extra admin work will have on them.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1864 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:27 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:This has been something which has been trialled in a number of leagues below the pyramid, however, it has sometimes proved a real difficult thing to administer with just a referee on his own and club assistants. I know of one instance where there were six players in the 'sin bin' for various reasons and they ended up arguing about just when they should be allowed back onto the pitch. The referee was trying to referee the game, which also had 'rolling sub' and he was also having to keep an eye on the time for these players in the 'sin bin'. It ended up in total confusion and everyone blamed the referee, although not one official from either club tried to help the situation.
I can only see it becoming more difficult to administer with the second offences coming into play and a referee acting on his own. At least, in the games in the Pyramid System, there should be three officials which will help. In the lower leagues I can see more officials just packing it in and we are losing a lot now so it will be interesting to see just what effect this extra admin work will have on them.
Agree with that it will only work at the levels where there are multiple officials, but as you pointed out there is a severe shortage of them
We’re struggling as it is to get referees for our u9 games, especially in Burnley/Pendle area.
We haven’t had a ref at any home game this season, yet every away one there has been one allocated.

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:36 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:Agree with that it will only work at the levels where there are multiple officials, but as you pointed out there is a severe shortage of them
We’re struggling as it is to get referees for our u9 games, especially in Burnley/Pendle area.
We haven’t had a ref at any home game this season, yet every away one there has been one allocated.
wilks--unfortunately, this shortage is felt all over the country. Up here in Northumberland there are clubs playing in the local leagues which are next step down from the pyramid system and they are on social media every week trying to find referees. Quite a number of Sunday Leagues stipulate that teams must not play without an official referee and game a re being postponed every week because of the shortage. This has also filtered down to the local boys' leagues and, sadly, I don't envisage that it will get any better unless the behaviour of managers, coaches, players and parents improves markedly in the very near future.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:41 pm

Just been and done my sin bin training tonight.

Not that I use it until it comes in at step 5 or 6

Double dissent = 2 yellows. Player cant come back on at all. Can be substituted after the 2nd period of 10 min served.
Dissent plus non dissent caution, player allowed to return after serving the 10 min.
3rd yellow = red, then no substitution.

Hope that's clear for you all :)
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:27 pm

dpinsussex wrote:Just been and done my sin bin training tonight.

Not that I use it until it comes in at step 5 or 6

Double dissent = 2 yellows. Player cant come back on at all. Can be substituted after the 2nd period of 10 min served.
Dissent plus non dissent caution, player allowed to return after serving the 10 min.
3rd yellow = red, then no substitution.

Hope that's clear for you all :)
dp --I'm sure that you are pleased that you will not have to administer all this on your own as much younger, inexperienced referees are being expected to do. You can keep breathing a sigh of relief and get yourself further up the ladder ---you might avoid it altogether!!
They should have brought it in at the ttope end of the game where there are enough officials to cope with the trauma!

dpinsussex

Post by dpinsussex » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:41 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:dp --I'm sure that you are pleased that you will not have to administer all this on your own as much younger, inexperienced referees are being expected to do. You can keep breathing a sigh of relief and get yourself further up the ladder ---you might avoid it altogether!!
They should have brought it in at the ttope end of the game where there are enough officials to cope with the trauma!
I will just leave it to my neutral assistant. Have enough to concentrate on.

That said I have only had 5 cautions for dissent this season out of 61. 20 games refereed.
Not too bad really. That said I do try and managed the game to death and ignore players having a rant.

The bigger impact as you said is lower down the food chain. Took my daughter and her friend along tonight. Best of luck administering it. I hope the teams despise being down to 10 and take the responsibility to shut their mate up. Time will tell. Let's hope it works

No blue card either, will only be yellow.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:03 pm

dpinsussex wrote:I will just leave it to my neutral assistant. Have enough to concentrate on.

That said I have only had 5 cautions for dissent this season out of 61. 20 games refereed.
Not too bad really. That said I do try and managed the game to death and ignore players having a rant.

The bigger impact as you said is lower down the food chain. Took my daughter and her friend along tonight. Best of luck administering it. I hope the teams despise being down to 10 and take the responsibility to shut their mate up. Time will tell. Let's hope it works

No blue card either, will only be yellow.
Quite worrying really because, at the bottom end, young referees also have all the hassle from coaches and parents to contend with and some clubs will always overstep the mark!!

Hipper

Post by Hipper » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:33 am

What's the reasoning behind this sin bin idea? Are refs reluctant to deal with dissent with current arrangements?

What's a blue card?

dpinsussex

Post by dpinsussex » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:46 am

Hipper wrote:What's the reasoning behind this sin bin idea? Are refs reluctant to deal with dissent with current arrangements?

What's a blue card?
Blue card was muted to show the difference between sin bin and a "normal" yellow. IFAB refused, however has been fed back in so at best wont see till the following year.

Sin bin was aimed at reducing the dissent shown by putting onus back on team to deal responsibly with their players. Ie if a player getting a bit OTT then the threat of playing 10 min with 10 players was deemed to have a greater impact especially come the end of the season.
The punishment is immediate and the player doesn't get a fine. (Normally £10) However if he is punished twice for dissent in same game then the fine is £35 from memory and a 1 game ban.
All cards will count towards the totting up process 5/10 etc and subsequently an additional ban.

Eg if a player is sin binned, comes back on and picks up a caution for a reckless tackle and then is done for dissent again. His tally of yellow cards will be 3. Two more cards and he/she has a 1 game ban
I
This user liked this post: Hipper

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by IndigoLake » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:51 am

Too many replies in this thread to know if it has been mentioned, but I'd like to see 30-minute halves. It might sound bonkers but the idea would be that the ball must be in play for 30 minutes each half. Ie the clock is stopped when it's not in motion (goes out for a throw, during a goal kick etc). That would cut down on the amount of time wasting. As it stands, we don't see anywhere near 90 minutes of football as the ball is out of play for that much of the game. Time is of course added on but I don't think that makes up for the amount of time wasting there is.

dpinsussex

Post by dpinsussex » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:53 am

IndigoLake wrote:Too many replies in this thread to know if it has been mentioned, but I'd like to see 30-minute halves. It might sound bonkers but the idea would be that the ball must be in play for 30 minutes each half. Ie the clock is stopped when it's not in motion (goes out for a throw, during a goal kick etc). That would cut down on the amount of time wasting. As it stands, we don't see anywhere near 90 minutes of football as the ball is out of play for that much of the game. Time is of course added on but I don't think that makes up for the amount of time wasting there is.
It would be like watching u11 football. They play 30 min each way and the ball never seems to go out of play :)

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:56 am

dpinsussex wrote:It would be like watching u11 football. They play 30 min each way and the ball never seems to go out of play :)
I didn't know they do that! It would be great to see 60 guaranteed minutes of football with no time-wasting. If possible, 90 minutes would be fantastic but the game would then run on a lot longer if the clock was stopped every time the ball was out of play. Doubt we'll see anything like this anytime soon but I'd say the time-wasting and cheating is putting me off the game a bit.

dpinsussex

Post by dpinsussex » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:02 pm

IndigoLake wrote:I didn't know they do that! It would be great to see 60 guaranteed minutes of football with no time-wasting. If possible, 90 minutes would be fantastic but the game would then run on a lot longer if the clock was stopped every time the ball was out of play. Doubt we'll see anything like this anytime soon but I'd say the time-wasting and cheating is putting me off the game a bit.
Ideal world but you are right, I doubt it too.
Human nature is to gain any advantage you can in competition. Players do just that.
If the clock stopped it would be like American football with a 4 hour game :)

Had a scenario this year where one team were moaning first half about the other teams time wasting and then in second half when they were ahead, the other team started moaning.
Got short shift from me and told to shut up and get on with it.
These 2 users liked this post: IndigoLake Ashingtonclaret46

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:12 pm

dpinsussex wrote:Ideal world but you are right, I doubt it too.
Human nature is to gain any advantage you can in competition. Players do just that.
If the clock stopped it would be like American football with a 4 hour game :)

Had a scenario this year where one team were moaning first half about the other teams time wasting and then in second half when they were ahead, the other team started moaning.
Got short shift from me and told to shut up and get on with it.
I love American Football but definitely wouldn't want games being that long. It's the one real disadvantage of the NFL for me. I do wonder why more drastic changes aren't implemented to stamp out time-wasting, cheating (simulation etc). Feel like more could be done but we just see slow progress.

Hipper

Post by Hipper » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:33 pm

The rules are there. They need to be implemented, that's all.

dpinsussex

Post by dpinsussex » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:36 pm

Hipper wrote:The rules are there. They need to be implemented, that's all.
They are there and do need implementing. That said there is always need for change to try and 8mprove the enjoyment of the game whether for spectators, players or match officials.