Side effects of prescription drugs (naproxen and codeine)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Side effects of prescription drugs (naproxen and codeine)

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:19 pm

I perforated a disk in my spine a few weeks back and ended up in hospital overnight - been referred for an MRI scan to properly see what is happening and in the mean time I have been given naproxen and codeine (was offered diazepam too but not into that with stuff i’ve heard).

I do quite a labour intensive job so haven’t been able to work since the incident and can’t wait to be able to just get back at it and stuck in. I’ve always been quite active too until thes east few weeks.

Since starting taking codeine and naproxen for pain management I have just found myself becoming emotionless and almost depressed at times, not to the point of wanting to top myself or anything but just not wanting to actually do anything and finding it a chore to just get motivated to do anything.

Anybody any experience with these drugs and how they could affect emotions in that way or is it just the fact I’m fed up of not being able to get stuck back into my normal routine and activities that is making me feel like this?

It’s usually a fountain of knowledge on here and I know codeine and naproxen aren’t the worst drugs about but if they have any link to affecting my mood then i’ll probably just stick them in the bin tbh.

Dazzler
Been Liked: 875 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Re: Side effects of prescription drugs (naproxen and codeine)

Post by Dazzler » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:28 pm

Codeine will bung you up ...stop taking it NOW!
This user liked this post: tim_noone

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:40 pm

I have a child who had a very bad reaction to coedine, essentially tripping and hallucinating (quite badly) until it wore off.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8431 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:41 pm

WadingInDeeper wrote:I have a child who had a very bad reaction to coedine, essentially tripping and hallucinating (quite badly) until it wore off.
It is an "Opiate" when all is said and done ......

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:43 pm

Dazzler wrote:Codeine will bung you up ...stop taking it NOW!
You can keep taking it offset with senokat & half a dozen bowls of all brans a day & fybogel :lol: you do get constipation with any codeine based painkillers.

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:50 pm

Bosscat wrote:It is an "Opiate" when all is said and done ......
We had a similar effect from a coedine based cough syrup as well, but not as bad as the effects of morphine.

At least we learn't how they came up with the ideas for magic roundabout, and jamie and his magic torch and cartoons like that.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:53 pm

It's a common side effect, I'm on Co-Codamol or Tramadol for pain management and take a Senocat daily, cured the issue ...

On a lighter note, ( no pun intended ), Tramadol can give me very vivid dreams. Some months ago I played for England at Twickenham. It was all going swimmingly, Red Rose on the Shirt breast, proud wife & parents in the stands, sang " God save the Queen " with great gusto, but unfortunately then the match started and I was still the same rather limited 2nd Row forward I was when I actually played many years ago ! Mrs Clarets4me commented that I'd been " thrashing about ", and suggested I might want to mention it to the Doc. and see if there was an alternative. I replied that if the dreams were going to be so vivid, I'd wait until my three in a bed romp with Ursula Andress and Cheryl Ladd, and then go and see him !!

She's just about talking to me again now !! ;)

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:00 pm

I had Naproxen for a back problem. Didn't do much other than leave my stomach feeling queasy when I took it. (You also need to be careful about not taking it on an empty stomach or it can lead to more problems.)
This user liked this post: ten bellies

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:40 pm

Clarets4me wrote:It's a common side effect, I'm on Co-Codamol or Tramadol for pain management and take a Senocat daily, cured the issue ...
I’m hoping I don’t have to take other tablets, to combat the side effects of other tablets though.

...... unless these manage a trois dreams are a possibility then maybe Tramadol will help :lol:

claret wizard
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:57 pm

I've had both prescribed in the past, let's say that I have to be in a lot of pain to consider taking either because of the side effects, both physical and mental. If you can manage with paracetamol, ibuprofen to take the edge off then go with that. I'd rather go with some pain than the nausea and spaced out codeine world, and naproxen ain't great on the digestion system.

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani
Been Liked: 212 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:00 pm

Took naproxin for pain after damaged my shoulder , couldn't believe how good it was , only took it for a short time and had no issues however I did read the side effects leaflet and it scared me into not taking it , basically the benefits of taking a drug should outweigh the risks of taking it , if it doesn't don't take it

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:07 pm

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani wrote:Took naproxin for pain after damaged my shoulder , couldn't believe how good it was , only took it for a short time and had no issues however I did read the side effects leaflet and it scared me into not taking it , basically the benefits of taking a drug should outweigh the risks of taking it , if it doesn't don't take it
This is the route I’m going to go down I think - i’m Much better than I was a couple of weeks ago and just going to have some ibuprofen to take the edge off as and when.

It’s bad that I more wary of prescription drugs more than illegal ones at times.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:23 pm

Agreed....ibuprofen and paracetamol for my pain management. To varying degrees I've had back pain all my Adult life. And at worst have been prescribed.Amatryptaline tramadol and diazepam...all quite Addictive :? Codeine is as dazzler stated.Im currently pain free :D

LordBob
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by LordBob » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:36 pm

bfccrazy I really do sympathise with your predicament and I can tell you that I have been using Naproxen as an anti-inflammatory for 10 years or more without any of the side effects you have mentioned. I take 1 Omeprazole 30 mins before the Naproxen as a gastric precaution but I have never used prescribed codeine which could be causing you the problems or the mixture but we all react in different way's I'm prescribed Tramadol for the pain relief which itself has it's side effects on occasions but I have ruled out anymore surgery and decided on long term pain management which you do when you come to terms the fact that you have developed a case of A.G.E. anyway bfccrazy I wish you all the best mate, good luck.
This user liked this post: bfccrazy

Dazzler
Been Liked: 875 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:02 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:You can keep taking it offset with senokat & half a dozen bowls of all brans a day & fybogel :lol: you do get constipation with any codeine based painkillers.
Yep started taking senokot the day I started on Solpadol.
Less than a week later things got serious; I needed a suppository up my anus.

Millertime v1.7
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Millertime v1.7 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:42 pm

Mate listen, all i care about is getting my hands on some codeine so I can get a good night sleep. Side effects are collatarel damage..i am up at all hours taking care of Mario. I've had to tell his mother she should be doing more but she doesn't listen because she is on codeine! Wont tell me where she gets her supply and keeps her stash hidden away where i can't find it. Will have another search tonight.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:44 pm

Millertime v1.7 wrote:Mate listen, all i care about is getting my hands on some codeine so I can get a good night sleep. Side effects are collatarel damage..i am up at all hours taking care of Mario. I've had to tell his mother she should be doing more but she doesn't listen because she is on codeine! Wont tell me where she gets her supply and keeps her stash hidden away where i can't find it. Will have another search tonight.
Ok :?

Millertime v1.7
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Millertime v1.7 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:49 pm

If i was in your situation i wouldn't take any form of pain relief
The power of the mind is natures greatest weapon, it got me though hellish toothache.... but you need discipline and mental strength. Only the strong survive.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:39 pm

Dizzys will help with the sleep

Sheedyclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by Sheedyclaret » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:53 pm

Naproxen did naff all for my sciatica made me feel worse but amatripylyin was a different ball game..didn't take the tramadols as my symptoms have cleared thank christ ..

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:07 am

I was on both naproxen and codeine last year after hurting my shoulder.

Almost immediately I developed a lot of stomach pains (which is a well known side effect of naproxen) so was prescribed yet more pills to take on top of the naproxen to stop the dicky tummy.

Was very glad to recover after a few months and kick all three drugs into touch.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:17 am

Dazzler wrote:Yep started taking senokot the day I started on Solpadol.
Less than a week later things got serious; I needed a suppository up my anus.
Sounds a bummer, plenty of fibre & water helps, naproxen can be effective for muscular pains ect, as already mentioned, in the past I've found naproxen to be effective not for pain management more treating the actual source of the pain & it eases when the inflammatory kicks in.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:17 am

Jakubclaret wrote:Sounds a bummer, plenty of fibre & water helps, naproxen can be effective for muscular pains ect, as already mentioned, in the past I've found naproxen to be effective not for pain management more treating the actual source of the pain & it eases when the inflammatory kicks in.
I was doing some digging yesterday and found some research that said one of the mainly reported side effects of naproxen is that it can cause pain in the back.

Which makes it an odd choice to treat back pain :lol:

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:23 am

I was prescribed naproxen in early 2014 when I had a serious attack of gout - it did settle down but initially made me feel really unwell. I have some now in the house in case the gout returns.