Anti semetism

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
corporal jones
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Anti semetism

Post by corporal jones » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:59 pm

Can someone help me out. The news is full of the Labour party's apparent problem with anti semetism, but as yet I haven't heard any reports of what specific anti Semitic acts have taken place. I have no particular political axe to grind by the way. Is it just that the Westminster elite think it's important and don't realise that the rest of the country is more concerned with getting through life at the moment. The Labour Party is a lot of things, but racist?

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Re: Anti semetism

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:02 pm

corporal jones wrote:Can someone help me out. The news is full of the Labour party's apparent problem with anti semetism, but as yet I haven't heard any reports of what specific anti Semitic acts have taken place. I have no particular political axe to grind by the way. Is it just that the Westminster elite think it's important and don't realise that the rest of the country is more concerned with getting through life at the moment. The Labour Party is a lot of things, but racist?
Most neutral people have enough brains to know it's the usual muck spreading by the usual suspects...next subject please.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:04 pm

My understanding is that there are pro palestinian factions. That gets sloppily translated as anti Zionist which then morphs into anti Semetic
Last edited by andyh on Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:06 pm

South West Claret. wrote:Most neutral people have enough brains to know it's the usual muck spreading by the usual suspects...next subject please.
MP’s have left the party citing it as part of the reason, so there must be something in it mustn’t there?

BBC’s take on it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45030552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

corporal jones
Been Liked: 96 times

Post by corporal jones » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:17 pm

So there are no specific incidents to report. It's just a general "not agreeing with Israel" thing? The chap on the radio claimed that some of his members had been racially abused at meetings. What he means is that his members were disagreed with on a point of principle.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2176 times

Post by fidelcastro » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:19 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:MP’s have left the party citing it as part of the reason, so there must be something in it mustn’t there?

BBC’s take on it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45030552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any criticism of the state of Israel is now considered anti-Semitism.

The group of labour MPs that quit the party all, without exception, belong to an organisation called the 'labour friends of Israel'. This puts them at odds with Corbyn, who has been a frequent critic of Israel for many years.
These 2 users liked this post: South West Claret. dougcollins

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:30 pm

It's the same kind of issue as the Tories and their Islamophobia but the media don't talk about that very much, strangely enough.
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2176 times

Post by fidelcastro » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:41 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:It's the same kind of issue as the Tories and their Islamophobia but the media don't talk about that very much, strangely enough.
Indeed, no one is called Islamophobic for criticising Saudi Arabia though (and rightly so BTW! ), but any criticism of Israel is immediately pounced on as anti semitism :(

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:49 pm

Linking all Jews to Israel is the problem (explaining it in the simplest way possible) and Jews and big business. The problem is that what is regarded as anti-semitic by everybody else isn't regarding as anti-semitic by far too many people. That unfortunately includes some of the left wing of the Labour party who appear to have suddenly forgotten that.

Some of the stuff that you see online is really, really bad, and its shared and liked by Lab MPs, organisations and members.

It perfectly ok to criticise Israel AND its not hard to do without being anti-semitic btw.

EDIT - goes without saying that the Islamophobia in the Conservatives is as bad, but there is a lot of whataboutery going on and it looks like no real desire to sort it.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:54 pm

Can’t understand why anyone would be anti Semitic in this day and age. Have they learned nothing from history ?

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:30 pm

There has apparently been bullying in the branches. The highest profile case being Luciana Berger, who they were trying to de-select.
In this Labour Party that could be because she isn’t communist enough for Jeremys henchmen but she felt was anti-semetic.
You don’t have to be anti-semetic to hate Netenyahu and his evil schemes. Ironically the man is a modern Hitler.
1481B5B2-DF50-4E0F-852A-B2D81FA875E2.jpeg
1481B5B2-DF50-4E0F-852A-B2D81FA875E2.jpeg (58.81 KiB) Viewed 9028 times
Last edited by Tricky Trevor on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:32 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:MP’s have left the party citing it as part of the reason, so there must be something in it mustn’t there?

BBC’s take on it:

No they are just some of the usual suspects that I was talking about.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6416 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:41 pm

I attended an Unconscious Bias course today at work. It raised issues relating to prejudices in our society. I asked about anti-semetism and I did not get a clear answer.

I’ll sit back with my popcorn and watch this thread till it goes...

brexit
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:58 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... gn-history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bluelabrador16
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 125 times

Post by bluelabrador16 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:45 pm

Keep It Up, Ilhan Omar

Neither Hamas nor a black day, but a glimmer of hope on Capitol Hill

Gideon Levy (always worth reading)
"....When will Americans and Europeans stop running scared every time someone screams “anti-Semitism”? Until when will Israel and the Jewish establishment succeed in exploiting (the existing) anti-Semitism as a shield against criticism? When will the world dare to distinguish between legitimate criticism of an illegitimate reality and anti-Semitism?

The gap between these two is great. There is anti-Semitism one must fight, and there is criticism of Israel and the Jewish establishment it is imperative to support. Manipulations exercised by the Israeli propaganda machine and the Jewish establishment have managed to make the two issues identical.

This is the greatest success of the Israeli government’s hasbara: Say one critical word about Israel and you’re labeled an anti-Semite. And labeled an anti-Semite, your fate is obvious. Omar has to break this cursed cycle. Is the young representative from Minnesota up for it? Can she withstand the power centers that have already mobilized against her in full force?

Maybe it’s important that she knows there are people in Israel crossing fingers for her?....

What, after all, has Omar said? That pro-Israel activists demand “allegiance to a foreign country”; that U.S. politicians support Israel because of money they receive from the pro-Israel lobby group AIPAC, and that “Israel hypnotized the world.” What is incorrect in these statements? Why is describing reality considered anti-Semitic?...

Just imagine what Israelis and Jews would feel if Muslim Americans had the same political, economic and cultural power Jews have. Such power, above all the intoxication with power that has seized hold of the Jewish establishment, comes with a price. Omar and her colleagues are trying to collect on it.....

When will the world dare to distinguish between legitimate criticism of an illegitimate Israeli reality and anti-Semitism?"

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premiu ... 1992751938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 998 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:28 pm

A few examples given in a Spectator article last year
https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/03/l ... -evidence/

Quite a few "holocaust denial" themes here + quite a few "Jews control the world" themes.
This user liked this post: Rowls

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:03 am

Last edited by If it be your will on Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Millertime v1.7
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Millertime v1.7 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:31 am

Mate, I'm REALLY taken by your user_id name.. "if it be your will"
Why can't afc have deep thinking like this on their chat forum? We have Bluto instead

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:38 am

Lancasterclaret wrote: It perfectly ok to criticise Israel AND its not hard to do without being anti-semitic btw.
Oh thanks for that Lancaster.

I'm still okay for disliking them for invasion, murder and ethnic cleansing?

Not that it gives them a free pass because of what they learnt from the Nazis.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:16 am

corporal jones wrote:Can someone help me out. The news is full of the Labour party's apparent problem with anti semetism, but as yet I haven't heard any reports of what specific anti Semitic acts have taken place.
Whereabouts do you live corporal jones? Wherever you're stuck I hope you don't live under a hard place, that would be awful.

Anyway, here's a piece which chronicles some (but certainly not all, and certainly not the instances committed by minor Labour party members)

Warning - before clicking on the link be aware that this is a piece of journalism written by the "MSM" and I think we all know what that means *nudge nudge* *wink wink*

Your Helpful Guide To Antisemitism in the Labour Party:

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Re: Anti semitism

Post by thatdberight » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:21 am

If it be your will wrote:Under the IHRA definition and examples (now adopted by Labour), this is a clear, unmistakable case of antisemitism:

Drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis

If you are a Labour member, and somebody were to make a complaint, it is quite likely you would be suspended/expelled from the party for making this statement. You have to be exceptionally careful what you say.
Yes, Corbyn should never have given way on that. I can't think of anything less helpful to a debate than to liken Israel to the Nazis - it's only likely to lose you the argument; but it's not anti-semitism. But those lobbying for it got their way along with a whole pile of other woolly stuff that they can wheel out to shut down debate.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:00 am

A 5 minute video that does a good job of explaining the differences between anti-Zionism and antisemitism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=oZkr6JjFpX4

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:18 am

No problem BOT

You need all the education you can get

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:30 am

Its a pity Corbyn doesnt focus on real issues like kids sleeping rough .knife crime lack of affordable housing and the decline of the nhs rather than getting sidelined into philosophy as to wether Labour is anti Semitic.
I worked for a couple of years in a Jewish school in Manchester .Their views were very restricted and they live a parallel existence to the mainstream population.
Living in, but not part of the wider society.Unable to see the wood for the trees.A bit like Corbyn.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:17 am

Sproggy wrote:A 5 minute video that does a good job of explaining the differences between anti-Zionism and antisemitism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=oZkr6JjFpX4
thanks for that link Sproggy, it has certainly help my understanding of what the issues are - I already had a good handle on things, but this is a clear and concise video explaining the issues.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:34 am

Anti semitism is anti Jew. That is racist.
To disagree with the actions of Israel and it's leaders, on occasion is not.

The difficulty is that Jeremy Corbyn does not stamp out those blur the edges. Allowing it to go unpunished, links him to the transgressors.

Just a poor leader of a great party.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:37 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:Its a pity Corbyn doesnt focus on real issues like kids sleeping rough .knife crime lack of affordable housing and the decline of the nhs rather than getting sidelined into philosophy as to wether Labour is anti Semitic.
I worked for a couple of years in a Jewish school in Manchester .Their views were very restricted and they live a parallel existence to the mainstream population.
Living in, but not part of the wider society.Unable to see the wood for the trees.A bit like Corbyn.
Pot and kettle.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:33 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:There has apparently been bullying in the branches. The highest profile case being Luciana Berger, who they were trying to de-select.
In this Labour Party that could be because she isn’t communist enough for Jeremys henchmen but she felt was anti-semetic.
You don’t have to be anti-semetic to hate Netenyahu and his evil schemes. Ironically the man is a modern Hitler.
1481B5B2-DF50-4E0F-852A-B2D81FA875E2.jpeg
Fabulous post. This is all that needs to be said. The two problems for Labour are:
1.Too many people don't or can't differentiate between criticising Jews and criticising Israel.
2. Certain organisations are are taking advantage of this fact for their own political ends.
To say Corbyn is racist is like saying the Pope isn't a Catholic. To condemn Israel is NOT to condemn Jews - simple. My only criticism of the Labour party (and I am a supporter) is that they didn't nip this in the bud when it started two years ago, I think they thought it would just go away. Stricter denials were needed at the time but the response was too weak (in my view).
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:05 am

Exactly. That is Corbyn in a nutshell.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:32 am

One thing's for sure, we can't be listening to a Jewish woman about what's anti-semitic. What does she know?!

If enough middle-aged white fellas tell me there's no issue with anti-semitism in Labour, that's more than good enough for me. Especially if they're properly on the 'left', as that pretty much means they couldn't have any prejudicial thoughts, yeah?
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:54 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:I attended an Unconscious Bias course today at work. It raised issues relating to prejudices in our society. I asked about anti-semetism and I did not get a clear answer.

I’ll sit back with my popcorn and watch this thread till it goes...
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/ant ... tion-dates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A free online course which I've completed. Pretty interesting even if you are concerned about its source.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

kindonesque
Been Liked: 118 times

Post by kindonesque » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:11 pm

The influence of what used to be called Militant Tendancy is strong in Corbyn's Labour Party. Kinnock famously booted them out in the early eighties but they have now re-emerged inside the party under a new guise. MT was always very pro-Palestine very anti-Israel. The issue of anti-Semitism in the party has become a useful tool for those of a social democratic persuasion in Labour.
It helps thm to identify and mark the hard left activists who are basically the anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist, anti military-industrial complex types still wedded to the old Leon Trotsky and Stalin ideas of communism. Inquiries and disciplinary would be a way of getting shot of them. But the processes are not working. In my view this is why this subject is commanding so much attention.

gtclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:58 pm

Anti semetism exists in the Labour Party because JC has said it does. The concern is that not much is actually being done about it because the perpetrators are JC supporters
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:44 pm

houseboy wrote:Fabulous post. This is all that needs to be said. The two problems for Labour are:
1.Too many people don't or can't differentiate between criticising Jews and criticising Israel.
2. Certain organisations are are taking advantage of this fact for their own political ends.
To say Corbyn is racist is like saying the Pope isn't a Catholic. To condemn Israel is NOT to condemn Jews - simple. My only criticism of the Labour party (and I am a supporter) is that they didn't nip this in the bud when it started two years ago, I think they thought it would just go away. Stricter denials were needed at the time but the response was too weak (in my view).
As I understand it the Labour Party didn't have the infrastructure and processes in place to deal with this properly several years ago. The issue was around before, as you can see from the link, however it wasn't dealt with as robustly as it now is. I suppose the party leadership is much better than it used to be.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 88998.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 2 users liked this post: houseboy Taffy on the wing

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:46 pm

No way you aren't a card carrying Corbynista, absolutely no way.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:07 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:No way you aren't a card carrying Corbynista, absolutely no way.
We don't carry cards. Instead his mark is etched into our flesh. Someone has to stand up for him.
These 3 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Taffy on the wing longsidepies

bluelabrador16
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 125 times

Post by bluelabrador16 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:00 pm

How many British MPs are working for Israel? 2017

Jonathan Cook
"Al Jazeera are to be congratulated on an undercover investigation exposing something most of us could probably have guessed: that some Israeli embassy staff in the UK – , Mossad agents – are working with senior political activists and politicians in the Conservative and Labour parties to subvert their own parties from within, and skew British foreign policy so that it benefits Israeli, rather than British, interests....

They are members of the Conservative and Labour Friends of Israel. They dominate both parliamentary parties, but especially the Conservatives. According to the CFI’s figures, fully 80 per cent of Tory MPs belong to the party’s Friends of Israel group....

Once, no one would have hesitated to call British politicians acting in the interests of a foreign power, and very possibly taking financial benefits for doing so, “traitors”....

Shai Masot can readily meet and conspire with a Tory minister’s much-trusted aide to discuss how best to “take down” the deputy foreign minister, Alan Duncan, over his criticisms of Israel’s illegal settlements in the occupied territories. Maria Strizzolo, education minister Robert Halfon’s
assistant, suggests engineering a “little scandal” to damage Duncan

LFI is known for sending the largest proportion of MPs to Israel, on an all-expenses-paid trip, where they will be wined and dined, and primed by top officials to adopt even more extreme pro-Israel positions....

Does that have an effect on British domestic politics. You bet it does! Israel isn’t a charity.......

https://www.jonathan-cook.net/blog/2017 ... or-israel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Galloway: Zionism and Nazism cooperated
"Respect Party leader George Galloway and former political adviser to Tony Blair, John McTernan discuss the anti-semitism crisis engulfing the Labour Party. 2016"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J8L_Xzrgzg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 5.37

Comments:

....Zionism and Nazism WERE two sides of the same coin. LOL. The Havara Agreement between zionists and Hitler was sealed with the minting of a coin with a Swastika on one side and the Star of David on the other.........

.....Galloway is historically correct!
Gilad Atzmon Mar 7
#Labour Zionist league had to take a decision -- should we go away and leave Labour to #Corbyn & Co or should we stay to represent the needs of #British working class as we were elected to do ,,, sorry, correction, I mean the needs of #Israel...

https://twitter.com/GiladAtzmon?ref_src ... r%5Eauthor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by bluelabrador16 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: South West Claret.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:14 pm

The real truth backed up by the evidence.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:21 am

corporal jones wrote:Can someone help me out. The news is full of the Labour party's apparent problem with anti semetism, but as yet I haven't heard any reports of what specific anti Semitic acts have taken place.
Here's the latest incident being investigated corporal jones:

https://order-order.com/2019/03/08/labo ... semistism/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy to keep you updated with all things anti-semitic in the Labour party.

You're welcome.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:01 am

Labour and the Tories are currently two grotty political parties. At a really low point in British politics currently.

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:30 am

A short message to Kindonesque. It's very hard to be wedded to Trotsky AND Stalin as their ideas were very much in opposition, to the point where Stalin had Trotsky murdered and prior to that Trotsky had established the Fourth International as an opposition group to Stalin. These terms and accusations are too often thrown around without any understanding of what they mean.
These 3 users liked this post: AndrewJB fidelcastro elwaclaret

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:57 am

Interesting letter in the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... are_btn_fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:22 am

For those who do not know the facts, it is amazing how small the Jewish population is in the UK and what a disproportionate amount of news that population generates.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:33 pm

Another politician likely to be unwelcome in the Labour party ranks for breaching the IHRA code by claiming Israel is a racist endeavour which does not recognise its own non-Jewish citizens as equals.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... s-citizens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:23 pm

Here's today's piece of anti-semitism news corporal jones:

https://twitter.com/JewishChron/status/ ... 2754785281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/labo ... e-1.481386" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:56 pm

Rowls wrote:Here's today's piece of anti-semitism news corporal jones:

https://twitter.com/JewishChron/status/ ... 2754785281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/labo ... e-1.481386" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rowls, forgive me if I appear to be a little facetious about this but the links you provided, although they use the term antisemitism they are not as far as I can see antisemitic. The image posted by the Labour MP was a reference to the Illuminati and how banks want to enslave the population. Please can you explain what the link is with antisemitism because I fear I am missing something.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:17 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:Rowls, forgive me if I appear to be a little facetious about this but the links you provided, although they use the term antisemitism they are not as far as I can see antisemitic. The image posted by the Labour MP was a reference to the Illuminati and how banks want to enslave the population. Please can you explain what the link is with antisemitism because I fear I am missing something.
Well, I don't know how old you are Rick but it has been compulsory to learn -at some stage- about the Holocaust in our schools for a long, long time.

For example, I'm hardly a spring chicken (I'm 38) but it had been taught for many, many years beforehand. Changing the word "Jews" for "illuminati" isn't exactly disguising your prejudices too hard is it?

If you can't see the inherent anti-semitism in the image then you're either ancient, naive or very very thick.*

* Or perhaps, like Jeremy Corbyn, you're all three.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:14 pm

Rowls wrote:Well, I don't know how old you are Rick but it has been compulsory to learn -at some stage- about the Holocaust in our schools for a long, long time.

For example, I'm hardly a spring chicken (I'm 38) but it had been taught for many, many years beforehand. Changing the word "Jews" for "Illuminati" isn't exactly disguising your prejudices too hard is it?

If you can't see the inherent anti-semitism in the image then you're either ancient, naive or very very thick.*

Rowls, I'm 47.

I was never taught about the Holocaust at school (I grew up in the UK, and went to state schools), either I wasn't interested or they didn't teach it.

Changing the word "Jews" for "Illuminati" - that is not something I did, nor have I ever, and I mean ever, known about this interchangeability of these words. I have read much into the subject of the Illuminati and I understand the term is used to describe a secret society who want a New World Order, and in the top hits on a Google search I could find nothing referring to "Jews".

In terms of the image, if you say it looks Jewish that's up to you - it looks to me to be a miserly old man.

Perhaps the issue with so much of the recent "antisemitism" in the press is that of some people wanting to be victims to promote and further their cause at the detriment to others.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:17 pm

Rowls wrote:Well, I don't know how old you are Rick but it has been compulsory to learn -at some stage- about the Holocaust in our schools for a long, long time.

For example, I'm hardly a spring chicken (I'm 38) but it had been taught for many, many years beforehand. Changing the word "Jews" for "illuminati" isn't exactly disguising your prejudices too hard is it?

Another one of the muck speaders that I was talking about further back :roll:

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:02 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:In terms of the image, if you say it looks Jewish that's up to you - it looks to me to be a miserly old man.
Or perhaps take it from the Labour MP who wrote as follows, from the article:

Mr Amesbury then released a statement “apologising unreservedly for this terrible error".

“I apologise unreservedly for this terrible error. I genuinely don’t recall sharing this image and I’m mortified that I did so. This appalling image image contains an antisemitic caricature and a reference to the ‘illuminati’ conspiracy theory. I would never have intentionally shared antisemitic tropes and I am sincerely sorry that I did.”
South West Claret. wrote:Another one of the muck speaders that I was talking about further back :roll:
Or perhaps you'd believe it if the Guardian printed it?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... byn-labour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The OP made a seemingly genuine request to be pointed towards instances of antsemitism in the Labour party.

I am pointing him in their direction as and when they come up.