Best way to get to Anfield from Lime Street

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Claretforshaw
Been Liked: 95 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Best way to get to Anfield from Lime Street

Post by Claretforshaw » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:00 am

Never been to Anfield so I am looking forward to my first visit, what is the best way to get there and back from Lime Street, the match day bus they lay on from St Johns? Is the return journey a bit of a mission? Are the any away friendly pubs around the ground or is the only option for a pre match drink inside the Stadium?

Mondsley
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Re: Best way to get to Anfield from Lime Street

Post by Mondsley » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:19 am

I would recommend the Ship and Mitre on Dale St. 5 minute walk from Lime St. Always been Clarets in there when we have been in pre match. Then cab to Anfield.

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:34 am

Mondsley wrote:I would recommend the Ship and Mitre on Dale St. 5 minute walk from Lime St. Always been Clarets in there when we have been in pre match. Then cab to Anfield.
Turn left when you come off the platform and there are plenty cabs around a minutes walk down the steps out of the station that will drop you near to the ground and tell you where you can be picked up after the game.

Don't bother about the 'away only' pubs as all the pubs are welcoming to any fans.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:37 am

Taxi rank outside Lime Street whichever way you come out.

Is about £7/8 for a taxi to Anfield - which can be split with mates or you’ll no doubt find others in same situation on the train over.

Easiest and best option IMO.

claret wizard
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:53 am

Taxi for sure. Last time I was there, 2-1 defeat after Barnes scored first, got dropped right by Arkles, pub was fine, plenty of Clarets inside in colours, quick walk to away turnstiles. I then walked back post match to Lime St. Two and a half miles, took about 45 mins and is downhill almost the whole way!

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:55 am

We always go by train. On sunday we will be going to Wetherspoons for breakfast, its a 2 minute walk from Lime Street station, just cross the road below the station exit, go to your left and Wetherspoons is there on your left opposite the shopping centre.

We have been in there several times and have always been made very welcome.
To get from there to Anfield we go to Liverpool Central station which is literally 1 minute walk away on the opposite side of Wetherspoons.
We get a rwturn ticket to Sandhills station which costs around 3 quid. Takes about 5 minutes on the train.
At Sandhills there are special buses which you can get to Anfield, that again takes about 5 minutes.

Obviously not as direct as in a taxi however we have found it much easier/quicker after the game to get back to Lime Street using this route.
The buses pick up after the game where they drop you off before the game, at the corner of Stanley Park. Its much quieter traffic wise on that side of Anfield. Trains leave Sandhills back to Lime Street every few minutes.

Edit - Should have said trains from Sandhills go back to Liverpool Central. Its just 5 minutes walk from there round to Lime Street station.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1465 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:02 am

follow the Japanese tourists

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:08 am

I've used Sandhills, it's not too bad a walk from there tbh if the weather is ok.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:16 am

Targetman wrote:We always go by train. On sunday we will be going to Wetherspoons for breakfast, its a 2 minute walk from Lime Street station, just cross the road below the station exit, go to your left and Wetherspoons is there on your left opposite the shopping centre.
If you go past Spoons via left into the square and head to Shiraz for your Brekky. Far superior for something to eat, unless beer is the main reason for visit?

The spoons across from Aldi at Goodison is a decent place to visit when at either of the Merseyside clubs.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:08 pm

In an FA Cup replay night match we arrived at Lime Street in the rush hour. Caught a double decker bus to Anfield. The driver drove like a maniac. It was packed so tight I wondered how anyone not near the exit door could possibly get off. Sure enough a woman rang the bell to stop the bus, it stopped the doors opened, the doors closed and the bus moved on. She was still trying to get to the door! Fortunately when we got to Anfield lots wanted to get off so we were OK.

Once in the ground we stood (this was 1973) down the side near one goal. Again it was packed tight. I've never been so packed in a ground before. As the ball moved down one end the crowd moved forward and down the terraces. As the ball came back to our end we all moved back up the terraces. I thought this was pretty dangerous but we soon got used to things as we seemingly floated up and down the terracing. I wondered what would happen if someone fell over. Well this happened but it was OK - the people around somehow made space for the person to get up and then we continued in our rhythmic movements.

We lost 3-0 but despite that it was on the whole an enjoyable experience.

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:25 pm

Targetman wrote:We always go by train. On sunday we will be going to Wetherspoons for breakfast, its a 2 minute walk from Lime Street station, just cross the road below the station exit, go to your left and Wetherspoons is there on your left opposite the shopping centre.

We have been in there several times and have always been made very welcome.
To get from there to Anfield we go to Liverpool Central station which is literally 1 minute walk away on the opposite side of Wetherspoons.
We get a rwturn ticket to Sandhills station which costs around 3 quid. Takes about 5 minutes on the train.
At Sandhills there are special buses which you can get to Anfield, that again takes about 5 minutes.

Obviously not as direct as in a taxi however we have found it much easier/quicker after the game to get back to Lime Street using this route.
The buses pick up after the game where they drop you off before the game, at the corner of Stanley Park. Its much quieter traffic wise on that side of Anfield. Trains leave Sandhills back to Lime Street every few minutes.

Edit - Should have said trains from Sandhills go back to Liverpool Central. Its just 5 minutes walk from there round to Lime Street station.
The Lime Kiln spoons is cheaper and much nicer. By soho square

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:26 pm

if the weather is fine the walk back is OK but be aware no pubs on the way until you are right back in the city