Lancashire CCC Outgrounds

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Lancashire CCC Outgrounds

Post by NL Claret » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:04 pm

Sedbergh School chosen for a Lancashire county championship game. Whilst it is a stunning setting, it doesn't really have the facilities or obvious car parking (unless they use the other sports games) to host a championship game. Public transport isn't great and it is in Cumbria and part of the Yorkshire Dales.

Sounds like the county have fallen out with Southport, Liverpool not in great shape and problems with the drainage at Blackpool. Allott coming out with a poor justification for using Sedbergh, sounds more like give us a county game in exchange for a few cricket scholarships at the school.

The county is really alienating itself from its members.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32527 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Re: Lancashire CCC Outgrounds

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:19 pm

I think they are playing one at Liverpool and one at Sedbergh this season.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:32 pm

NL Claret wrote:Sedbergh School chosen for a Lancashire county championship game. Whilst it is a stunning setting, it doesn't really have the facilities or obvious car parking (unless they use the other sports games) to host a championship game. Public transport isn't great and it is in Cumbria and part of the Yorkshire Dales.

Sounds like the county have fallen out with Southport, Liverpool not in great shape and problems with the drainage at Blackpool. Allott coming out with a poor justification for using Sedbergh, sounds more like give us a county game in exchange for a few cricket scholarships at the school.

It's during the school holidays so there won't be a problem with parking.

I understand the point about it being in Cumbria and not that convenient, but it's not so very different to the traditional game at Colwyn Bay and there's an excellent argument for playing games in the northern reaches of Lancashire's catchment. Lancashire haven't been very good at tapping into those regions in recent times.

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:36 pm

They must be using the school fields for parking as there isn't much parking full stop in the village / town.

Wasn't the game at Colwyn Bay an away fixture against Glamorgan though? Money spinner for Glamorgan as you can get the train from Manchester. Decent ground as well Colwyn Bay, more facilities than Sedbergh.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:47 pm

NL Claret wrote:They must be using the school fields for parking as there isn't much parking full stop in the village / town.

Wasn't the game at Colwyn Bay an away fixture against Glamorgan though? Money spinner for Glamorgan as you can get the train from Manchester. Decent ground as well Colwyn Bay, more facilities than Sedbergh.
I thought Lancashire had played out games there as home fixtures but I stand to be corrected on that one.

The school itself has plenty of hard standing that can be used for parking, aside from other playing fields and the village parking, so I doubt that will be a problem. As for public transport, pretty sure you can get a bus from Oxenholme. The facilities at Sedbergh are excellent, as good as many school grounds other counties use , and like I say Lancashire simply has to reach out away from Manchester, Liverpool and the coast. Accessibility from Manchester really isn't the be all and end all.

Ironically enough this game will be against Durham who have historically done a better job of mining the talent that Cumbria has.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32527 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:30 pm

Lancs have never played home games at Colwyn Bay but again this year the away game against Glamorgan is there.

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:03 pm

NL Claret wrote:Sedbergh School chosen for a Lancashire county championship game. Whilst it is a stunning setting, it doesn't really have the facilities or obvious car parking (unless they use the other sports games) to host a championship game. Public transport isn't great and it is in Cumbria and part of the Yorkshire Dales.

- ' sounds more like give us a county game in exchange for a few cricket scholarships at the school..'

Not sure there is much wrong with this arrangement especially as a one-off - looks like a win-win-win to me.

The village will benefit from a Lancs county match taking place, Lancs members in that part of the world will get to see some cricket, good PR for the school and obviously some ££££'s from the deal and if some cricket scholarships go to a few Lancs youngsters who would not ordinarily see such an opportunity, that looks like a good result.

Millfield and other Independent Schools have been doing this stuff for decades.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:08 pm

Allotted got a lot of stick off members at Southport, so it looks like he's punishing them.

Twice as much rainfall over the year at Sedbergh than rainy Manchester, be lucky to get the game in.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:24 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Allotted got a lot of stick off members at Southport, so it looks like he's punishing them.

Twice as much rainfall over the year at Sedbergh than rainy Manchester, be lucky to get the game in.
I'd be interested in your statistical evidence for that.

I'm surprised that the idea of taking county cricket to new audiences is met with such negativity and cynicism.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3340 times
Has Liked: 1959 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:01 pm

No real problems with it as long as they sort the transport out etc.
Games at the out grounds tend to be more popular, I hope they get some decent weather and make a good fist of it.

It’s a shame no Lancs League grounds are even close to meeting the standards.
Yorkshire play a few second team games at Tod but you couldn’t imagine it staging any first team games.

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:08 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Allotted got a lot of stick off members at Southport, so it looks like he's punishing them.

Allott said something along the lines of Southport don't have a full time groundsman although they will tell you otherwise.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:21 pm

It's actually in Yorkshire if you ignore the modern monstrosity that is Cumbria.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:27 pm

To be fair it does look a fantastic setting only rivalled only by the Worwick Memorial Ground ! Southport are carrying out a lot of work I read hoping to get Lancashire games next year.

Colwyn Bay definitely one of Glamorgan’s outgrounds.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:31 pm

It is an absolutely superb setting. There won't be a more picturesque setting for a county match anywhere next season.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:34 pm

Bit of a shame it starts on a Sunday rather than Saturday. I'll be tempted to have a drive up if on the Sunday if it's dry.

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:59 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:- ' sounds more like give us a county game in exchange for a few cricket scholarships at the school..'

Not sure there is much wrong with this arrangement especially as a one-off - looks like a win-win-win to me.

The village will benefit from a Lancs county match taking place, Lancs members in that part of the world will get to see some cricket, good PR for the school and obviously some ££££'s from the deal and if some cricket scholarships go to a few Lancs youngsters who would not ordinarily see such an opportunity, that looks like a good result.

Millfield and other Independent Schools have been doing this stuff for decades.
I totally get why they are doing it and see the benefits, that's not my point. If it is a scholarship deal with Sedbergh why not come and say it it is the reason for doing it. The membership at Lancs has plummeted over recent years.

hampsteadclaret

Post by hampsteadclaret » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:15 pm

16..I would tentatively suggest that Lancs membership numbers have dropped because generally we haven't been very good at cricket for a number of years..[or rather we haven't won much].. :cry:

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:33 pm

claretspice wrote:I'd be interested in your statistical evidence for that.

I'm surprised that the idea of taking county cricket to new audiences is met with such negativity and cynicism.
Posted on the Lancs Action Group twitter page.

I suppose it makes sense the nearer you go to the lake district, the more water.

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:39 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:16..I would tentatively suggest that Lancs membership numbers have dropped because generally we haven't been very good at cricket for a number of years..[or rather we haven't won much].. :cry:
There's more to it than just the results / success. Have you been to "The Emirates" recently?

hampsteadclaret

Post by hampsteadclaret » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:47 pm

Yes I have.

They are a large under-performing club who play some PL fixtures with plenty of empty seats at kick-off, [though the seat has been sold] and many more empty after 75 minutes, especially when things aren't going well.

Fans voting with their feet, a concept that has been around a while.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:11 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Posted on the Lancs Action Group twitter page.

I suppose it makes sense the nearer you go to the lake district, the more water.
Sedbergh gets twice the national average of rain. It’s pretty wet.

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:34 pm

claretspice wrote:It's during the school holidays so there won't be a problem with parking.

I understand the point about it being in Cumbria and not that convenient, but it's not so very different to the traditional game at Colwyn Bay and there's an excellent argument for playing games in the northern reaches of Lancashire's catchment. Lancashire haven't been very good at tapping into those regions in recent times.
Crikey Spice, you haven't got much right with this post. Game starts 30th June, school breaks up 6th July.

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:42 pm

Rainfall in Sedbergh, May to August: 69mm - 77mm - 80mm - 102mm - total 328mm
Rainfall in Manchester, May to August: 64mm - 71mm - 72mm - 89mm - total 296mm.

So Sedberg gets about 111% of the rainfall in Manchester, not 200%. If that makes a difference.

nighty
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by nighty » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:14 am

what do you expect when part of the club is run by flixton claret , you couldnt make it up , sedbergh is not in lancashire ...........over to you flixton, answers needed