Music Fact

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
MRG
Posts: 922
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:13 am
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 120 times

Music Fact

Postby MRG » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:26 am

Lionel Richie only had 1 uk number 1!! Aqua had 3, Busted had 4........mind blown!

McFly had 7, the same as Michael Jackson

# 2
Tricky Trevor
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:06 pm
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 467 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby Tricky Trevor » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:36 am

Billy Fury had 24 hits, same as the Beatles, and 332 weeks charted in the 60s and never had a No.1.

# 3
Steve1956
Posts: 6751
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 2079 times
Has Liked: 1063 times
Location: Fife

Re: Music Fact

Postby Steve1956 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:36 pm

Music these days is shite....Fact.
These 5 users liked this post: Dazzler randomclaret2 Funkydrummer Leepick21 Juan Tanamera

# 4
Vino blanco
Posts: 2365
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:42 pm
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby Vino blanco » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:38 pm

Beatles had 17 UK number ones and, I think, 21 US number ones.

# 5
BFCmaj
Posts: 764
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:38 pm
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 1803 times
Location: Rossendale

Re: Music Fact

Postby BFCmaj » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:46 pm

I had a number 1 this morning. Toilet fact.
These 2 users liked this post: Funkydrummer Juan Tanamera

# 6
Dazzler
Posts: 3775
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:10 am
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 2018 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby Dazzler » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:13 pm

MRG wrote:Lionel Richie only had 1 uk number 1!!


I suppose you could say then that Bono has never had a #1

(Richie Wrote & sang "Three Times A Lady" with the Commodores which was a #1 in 1978)

# 7
Alanstevensonsgloves
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:40 am
Been Liked: 174 times
Has Liked: 250 times
Location: From Accy, Exiled in Surrey

Re: Music Fact

Postby Alanstevensonsgloves » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:53 pm

I think the clash only ever had one :o

# 8
Swizzlestick
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:40 pm
Been Liked: 112 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby Swizzlestick » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:36 am

Steve1956 wrote:Music these days is shite....Fact.


No, you’re just getting old. Fact.

# 9
Dazzler
Posts: 3775
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:10 am
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 2018 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby Dazzler » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:02 am

Old ones are the best.

Fact!!!

# 10
Dazzler
Posts: 3775
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:10 am
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 2018 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby Dazzler » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:08 am

Lita Roza was the first British female singer to have a uk #1 with this catchy tune :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPunMswbIFc

# 11
Quickenthetempo
Posts: 8347
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:35 am
Been Liked: 1841 times
Has Liked: 1054 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby Quickenthetempo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:23 am

Dazzler wrote:Old ones are the best.

Fact!!!

Said every generation ever.

# 12
THEWELLERNUT70
Posts: 1723
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:13 pm
Been Liked: 471 times
Has Liked: 1228 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby THEWELLERNUT70 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:12 am

Mollie Marriott, daughter of Small Faces and Humble Pie legend Steve Marriott is the step daughter of singing legend Joe Brown

# 13
basil6345789
Posts: 1326
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:22 pm
Been Liked: 230 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby basil6345789 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:02 pm

Craig Douglas had only 1 UK No. 1 - a cover of Sam Cooke's "Only Sixteen".
He also lost 2 bob to me, a young junior golfer at Glen View, a few years later, whilst he was up here for a week playing The Tattersall nightclubs and came for a knock and I was the only one around. He was a really nice bloke and a decent golfer.
This user liked this post: levraiclaret

# 14
houseboy
Posts: 3517
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 856 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Music Fact

Postby houseboy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:04 pm

MRG wrote:Lionel Richie only had 1 uk number 1!! Aqua had 3, Busted had 4........mind blown!

McFly had 7, the same as Michael Jackson

To be fair McFly were not a bad band and could play a bit. Knew someone who saw them live and he said they were excellent. The singles charts don't reflect quality anyway, they reflect what the music industry wants and nothing more. Ask Pink Floyd or Yes or Led Zeppelin if they gave a fck about whether they sold a single.

Agua were sh!te though. ;)
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

# 15
houseboy
Posts: 3517
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 856 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Music Fact

Postby houseboy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:16 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Music these days is shite....Fact.

Disagree Steve. That's a sweeping statement. There has always been 'bad' and 'good' music (and it depends entirely on the listener). I thought the Beatles were dreadful until their last couple of albums but how many millions would disagree with me? I think that Van der Graf Generator are one of the most inventive and even quite influencial bands ever (well at least Peter Hammill) but they never quite made it out of cult status (even though they are still around). Todays crop of artists includes Ed Sheeran, a talented and versatile young man who got to the top the 'hard' way, by gigging.
I would agree that personally music is generally not as good these days but then that is just my age, but to say it's all bad is just not right bud.
This user liked this post: timshorts

# 16
timshorts
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:52 pm
Been Liked: 110 times
Has Liked: 104 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby timshorts » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:51 pm

I'd say that throughout the years there has been considerably more "bad" music than "good". I admit to liking a fair bit of music that I accept ought to be on the "bad" list, but I just happen to like it, accepting that it doesn't have a lot of musical quality. Sometimes there is a small chord sequence or modulation in a song that makes it worthwhile listening to the song just for that one moment. There's nothing really wrong with liking "bad" music, but that doesn't mean that it is "good".

Anyhow, yes, I agree that for the most part the Beatles ought to be in the "bad" section. A lot of it is only deemed to be "good" because it is written and performed by the Beatles and if it had been written and performed by someone else it would be binned as it deserves. That's the problem. Lots of listeners / music purchasers in whatever form like things that they know, have no musical imagination/intelligence at all or are (like my ex-wife)tone deaf, but follow along with their own pre-conceived ideas of what they should like. She bought all the number ones for about 6 years in a row for no apparent reason other than because they were number 1 in the chart. She also likes musicals - but that seems to be common place with the tone-deaf.

Faced with "Still Life", for example, by Van de Graf Generator, even though that's one of the band's easiest LP's to circumnavigate, she'd not understand it at all, and I'm guessing that over 50% of the population would be in the same position - and would go back to listening to Barbie Girl as that is in their comfort zone.

Prime example is "Imagine". From recollection, that was "done" in the Top 40 getting to about number 14 and on it's way back down, having reached the end of it's pretty innocuous lifespan. The guy then gets shot, and then the thing is straight up to number 1, totally overplayed and now alleged by some to be one of the best records of all time. It's really not. It does nothing. Musically, it's about as exciting as a Bach chorale.

# 17
4:20
Posts: 969
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 am
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby 4:20 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:24 pm

The harmonica is the world's best selling musical instrument.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fE8KkUsA7Vw
This user liked this post: basil6345789

# 18
Vino blanco
Posts: 2365
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:42 pm
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby Vino blanco » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:31 pm

Tim, you need to get your facts right. 'Imagine' the album was released in 1971 and was Lennon's biggest selling album in the uk, reaching number 1, which was also the case in the US. It was released in the US as a single and reached number 3. It was eventually released as a single n the Uk in 1975, five years before Lennon's death, reaching number 6.
The song, which did reach the top ten and then shot to number one after his death was 'Starting Over'. 'Imagine' was rereleased later and did make number one in the Uk.
Regarding the Beatles, as I stated above, they had 17 UK number ones and 21 US number ones, and all their albums reached number one in the Uk and the US. You don't achieve that by making music, which can be put into the bad category, or whatever term you used.

# 19
Ptangyangkipperbang
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:24 am
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 152 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby Ptangyangkipperbang » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:38 pm

Elvis recorded over 600 songs but didn't write one of them

# 20
houseboy
Posts: 3517
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 856 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Music Fact

Postby houseboy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:47 pm

timshorts wrote:Faced with "Still Life", for example, by Van de Graf Generator, even though that's one of the band's easiest LP's to circumnavigate, she'd not understand it at all, and I'm guessing that over 50% of the population would be in the same position - and would go back to listening to Barbie Girl as that is in their comfort zone.

Still Life is an amazing album. The title track and the truly wonderful Childlike Faith in Childhoods End (a nod in the direction of the Arhtur C Clark novel Childhoods End) are just absolutely top notch in terms of musical originality and lyricality (it's what Hammill does best). As you say correctly it is one of their most accessible albums for the uninitiated. I'd love to see what most people would make of Pawn Hearts. I've played A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers to a few people over the years and one guy fell in love with it whilst most of the others came out the other side of its 20 minutes saying things like 'what the hell was that all about'. It IS challenging stuff but that is what makes it great. But simple stuff is good too - I will happily admit to loving John Denver.

It's all about what floats your boat really but sometimes I am left wondering how some people achieved greatness (Maddonna/McArtneySinatra to name but three). But if we all liked the same stuff the world would be stifled by musical boredom. Sometimes someone comes along from a genre you don't like and blows you away and that's good too. I'm not a rap fan but I think Eminem is pure genius.

Incidentally I once met one of my minor musical heroes, didn't know it was him till the day after and didn't like him. How strange eh?

# 21
Vino blanco
Posts: 2365
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:42 pm
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby Vino blanco » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:48 pm

In spite of their longevity and popularity, The Who, one of the most influential rock bands of all time, and a band which released dozens of singles, never had a number one hit single in the uk.

# 22
Steve1956
Posts: 6751
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 2079 times
Has Liked: 1063 times
Location: Fife

Re: Music Fact

Postby Steve1956 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:19 pm

houseboy wrote:Disagree Steve. That's a sweeping statement. There has always been 'bad' and 'good' music (and it depends entirely on the listener). I thought the Beatles were dreadful until their last couple of albums but how many millions would disagree with me? I think that Van der Graf Generator are one of the most inventive and even quite influencial bands ever (well at least Peter Hammill) but they never quite made it out of cult status (even though they are still around). Todays crop of artists includes Ed Sheeran, a talented and versatile young man who got to the top the 'hard' way, by gigging.
I would agree that personally music is generally not as good these days but then that is just my age, but to say it's all bad is just not right bud.

Your right,it's not all bad....but there is a lot of manufactured **** ie Little Mix and the like VDGG were brilliant I still listen to H to He..briilliant album
This user liked this post: houseboy

# 23
Dyched
Posts: 3862
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:34 am
Been Liked: 1253 times
Has Liked: 302 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby Dyched » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:14 pm

Le Responsable has the greatest guitar riff ever. Fact.

# 24
Billy Balfour
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 3:00 pm
Been Liked: 405 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby Billy Balfour » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:17 pm

I must listen to some right shite if chart success is now the arbiter of what is considered to be good music. Maybe I should bin my music collection and start buying the Now That's What I Call Music! series.

I actually shuddered when I typed that last sentence.
Last edited by Billy Balfour on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: houseboy

# 25
Imploding Turtle
Posts: 19508
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 am
Been Liked: 5312 times
Has Liked: 2466 times
Location: Burnley, Lancs

Re: Music Fact

Postby Imploding Turtle » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:18 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Music these days is shite....Fact.



No it's not, it's just different to what you enjoy and remember from your youth.

# 26
Dazzler
Posts: 3775
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:10 am
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 2018 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby Dazzler » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:29 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Said every generation ever.


I wasn't referring to the music. :)

# 27
Clarets4me
Posts: 2570
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:31 pm
Been Liked: 1280 times
Has Liked: 518 times
Location: Ightenhill,Burnley

Re: Music Fact

Postby Clarets4me » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Ptangyangkipperbang wrote:Elvis recorded over 600 songs but didn't write one of them


True, although he is listed as a co-writer on a few of his hits, insisted on by Col. Parker, as a way of earning more through royalties !

The Colonel also ordered that Elvis's live album " As recorded at Madison Square Garden ", featuring his June 10th 1972 evening performance, be speeded up by around 4% to allow a short version of " Love me Tender " to be included at the end of side 1, as Presley was listed on the song-writing credits ....

It still went treble platinum, and is still Elvis Presley's best selling " live " album ...

# 28
houseboy
Posts: 3517
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 856 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Music Fact

Postby houseboy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:24 am

Steve1956 wrote:Your right,it's not all bad....but there is a lot of manufactured **** ie Little Mix and the like VDGG were brilliant I still listen to H to He..briilliant album

Killer.....fabulous track.....does music come any darker than that. Hammills ability to sing about one thing and mean another is his brilliance. How can you take a song that, on the face of it, is about a shark type killer fish living alone to making it about how he has treated someone emotionally wrongly?

I too am a Killer
For emotion runs as deep as flesh
Yes and I too am so lonely
And I wish that I could forget.

What a punchline.

If anyone is tempted to have a look on You Tube for VDGG, if you have never heard them or Peter Hammill don't think 'easy listening', it's about as far removed from that as it's possible to be. ;)
This user liked this post: Steve1956

# 29
MrTopTier
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:20 am
Been Liked: 536 times
Has Liked: 365 times
Location: The Moon, Outer Space.

Re: Music Fact

Postby MrTopTier » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:00 am

Pink Floyd played a gig in 1971 that was so loud that it killed all the fish in a lake 100 yards away.
This user liked this post: dougcollins

# 30
Steve1956
Posts: 6751
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 2079 times
Has Liked: 1063 times
Location: Fife

Re: Music Fact

Postby Steve1956 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:42 am

houseboy wrote:Killer.....fabulous track.....does music come any darker than that. Hammills ability to sing about one thing and mean another is his brilliance. How can you take a song that, on the face of it, is about a shark type killer fish living alone to making it about how he has treated someone emotionally wrongly?

I too am a Killer
For emotion runs as deep as flesh
Yes and I too am so lonely
And I wish that I could forget.

What a punchline.

If anyone is tempted to have a look on You Tube for VDGG, if you have never heard them or Peter Hammill don't think 'easy listening', it's about as far removed from that as it's possible to be. ;)

Fantastic track is Killer,you would never get lyrics like that sung by anyone today,H to He has to be in the top 25 albums of all time,I just read the wiki page on the album...it didn't chart in the UK :o
Last edited by Steve1956 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

# 31
Steve1956
Posts: 6751
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 2079 times
Has Liked: 1063 times
Location: Fife

Re: Music Fact

Postby Steve1956 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:43 am

MrTopTier wrote:Pink Floyd played a gig in 1971 that was so loud that it killed all the fish in a lake 100 yards away.

Fact or fiction ? :lol:

# 32
MrTopTier
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:20 am
Been Liked: 536 times
Has Liked: 365 times
Location: The Moon, Outer Space.

Re: Music Fact

Postby MrTopTier » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:00 am

Fact, so much so that when they discovered a new species of shrimp years later, they named it after Pink Floyd as it uses noise to scare predators.
This user liked this post: Steve1956

# 33
chipbutty
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 11:44 pm
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby chipbutty » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:34 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:Billy Fury had 24 hits, same as the Beatles, and 332 weeks charted in the 60s and never had a No.1.

He must have been furious!

# 34
Billy Balfour
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 3:00 pm
Been Liked: 405 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby Billy Balfour » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:52 am

MrTopTier wrote:Pink Floyd played a gig in 1971 that was so loud that it killed all the fish in a lake 100 yards away.


Did they turn their amps up to eleven?
This user liked this post: MrTopTier

# 35
houseboy
Posts: 3517
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 856 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Music Fact

Postby houseboy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:50 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Fantastic track is Killer,you would never get lyrics like that sung by anyone today,H to He has to be in the top 25 albums of all time,I just read the wiki page on the album...it didn't chart in the UK :o

My personal favourite of theirs (and one of my top 10 albums ever) is Pawn Hearts. 3 tracks on a 40 minute album. So intense it still sends shivers up my spine 40-odd years on. Hammill takes you on a journey that takes in beauty, manic screaming, and takes it down to the depths of almost insanity, with the end of Plague of Lighthouse Keepers being as uplifting and full of hope as anything you will ever hear. Anyone with the desire to hear something like they have never heard before, that breaks all boundaries, that is not just a musical journey but a challenging psychological roller coaster, should listen to this. It doesn't matter if you 'like' it or not because you may indeed not, but it WILL have an effect. The beautiful/horrific/disturbing lyrics that are Hammills trademark can be read as poetry without any music, this is true of any of his work.

Still waiting for my saviour
Storms tear me limb from limb
My fingers feel like seaweed
I'm so far out I'm too far in.

I am a lonely man
My solitude is true
My eyes have bourne stark witness
And now my nights are numbered too.

I've been the witness and the seal of death
Lingers in the moulten wax that is my head
To see the skeletons of sailing ships spars sinking low
You begin to wonder if the points of all the ancient myths are solemnly directed straight at you.

And on it goes for 20 minutes of absolutely sheer brilliance.

I believe Little Mix are going to release a version on their next album featuring a cameo role by Andre Gray. ;)

# 36
Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Posts: 915
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:33 pm
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 67 times
Location: Skipton

Re: Music Fact

Postby Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:50 pm

Facts

Monaco's orchestra is bigger than its army.
Bowie had a lizard tattoo on his ankle.
'RIngo' is Japanese for 'apple sauce'.
Alice Cooper has a golf handicap of 3.
In the 18th Century dogfish skin was used to sand violins.
Leo Fender invented telecaster and stratocaster but he couldn't play the guitar.

# 37
houseboy
Posts: 3517
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 856 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Music Fact

Postby houseboy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:59 pm

Vino blanco wrote:In spite of their longevity and popularity, The Who, one of the most influential rock bands of all time, and a band which released dozens of singles, never had a number one hit single in the uk.

Who's Next. Their best album ever. I don't think Townsend was over worried about no number ones though. They had a lot of hit singles and sold albums by the boat load on both sides of the Atlantic. I saw them in the early 70s at the dreadful King Georges Hall at Belle Vue (a bloody circus venue really) and they were absolutely mind blowing as a live band, still don't know where Daltrey got all his energy from. The drummer from my old band still thinks Keith Moon was God incarnate to this day - ha ha.
This user liked this post: 4:20

# 38
houseboy
Posts: 3517
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 856 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Music Fact

Postby houseboy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:04 pm

MrTopTier wrote:Fact, so much so that when they discovered a new species of shrimp years later, they named it after Pink Floyd as it uses noise to scare predators.

I don't know about all that but I do know I saw Floyd 3 times and they were never that loud really. They used quadraphoinic surround sound and didn't really need volume as much.

# 39
KateR
Posts: 742
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:46 pm
Been Liked: 166 times
Has Liked: 1342 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby KateR » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:22 pm

Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water" was written after the hotel across the lake burnt down, I believe Frank Zappa was accused of using a flame thrower but not sure about that bit.

My youngest and his friends when around 14 really liked Ozzie Osbourne but did not know he was the lead for Black Sabbath, when he told me he didn't believe me and checked it out, when he went to school the next day and proclaimed this fact he was a star and I went up in his estimation as "awesome" Fact, that did not last very long :)

# 40
Steve1956
Posts: 6751
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 2079 times
Has Liked: 1063 times
Location: Fife

Re: Music Fact

Postby Steve1956 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:24 pm

Houseboy we must be around the same age we certainly have the same taste in music,Who's next the very first album I ever bought from Ames record bar in Rawtenstall another classic album,Baba O'Riley an absolute monster of a tune.
This user liked this post: 4:20

# 41
houseboy
Posts: 3517
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 856 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Music Fact

Postby houseboy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:26 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Houseboy we must be around the same age we certainly have the same taste in music,Who's next the very first album I ever bought from Ames record bar in Rawtenstall another classic album,Baba O'Riley an absolute monster of a tune.

Who are you Steve? I bought half my at one point massive record collection from Ames. Actually if 1956 is your birth year I am 2 years older. Ha ha. When I was in the band years ago we performed mostly original material but we did perform a handful of covers, among which was Baba ORiley and Won't Get Fooled Again (I think other than the Who I've never heard any other band tackle that live, it's far more difficult than it sounds timing wise). Back in the early 80s we used to play, amongst other places, The Queens in Rawtenstall when it was a pretty good live music venue, we had a regular gig there every month for about 18 months or so. Rita and Ski used to own it, don't know if you ever went there. We actually played at venues all over the UK and managed to get on the college and small theatre circuit but as with all things we all started to fall out and it slowly collapsed after 2 years of fairly constant gigging and recording. Happy days and ones I would go back to in a heartbeat if I could.

Favourite bands include:
Yes
VDGG
Genesis
Pink Floyd
The Who
Caravan
Credence Clearwater Revival (first band I ever saw live)
King Crimson
In fact pretty much any prog, plus Al Stewart (lots of folk rock really)
Jethro Tull
And on and on and on.
Oh by the way, a big nod in the direction of Gong, saw them loads and one of the best live bands around.

Does this put us roughly in the same bracket? Sorry to have gone on a bit but music is my all time one love of my life.
This user liked this post: 4:20

# 42
TheOriginalLongsider
Posts: 957
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:41 am
Been Liked: 174 times
Has Liked: 128 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby TheOriginalLongsider » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:24 pm

KateR wrote:Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water" was written after the hotel across the lake burnt down, I believe Frank Zappa was accused of using a flame thrower but not sure about that bit.

My youngest and his friends when around 14 really liked Ozzie Osbourne but did not know he was the lead for Black Sabbath, when he told me he didn't believe me and checked it out, when he went to school the next day and proclaimed this fact he was a star and I went up in his estimation as "awesome" Fact, that did not last very long :)


It was actually the casino where Zappa was playing that caught fire.
This user liked this post: KateR

# 43
TheOriginalLongsider
Posts: 957
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:41 am
Been Liked: 174 times
Has Liked: 128 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby TheOriginalLongsider » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:27 pm

Random fact. Midge Ure was once in Thin Lizzy.

# 44
Steve1956
Posts: 6751
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 2079 times
Has Liked: 1063 times
Location: Fife

Re: Music Fact

Postby Steve1956 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:54 pm

houseboy wrote:Who are you Steve? I bought half my at one point massive record collection from Ames. Actually if 1956 is your birth year I am 2 years older. Ha ha. When I was in the band years ago we performed mostly original material but we did perform a handful of covers, among which was Baba ORiley and Won't Get Fooled Again (I think other than the Who I've never heard any other band tackle that live, it's far more difficult than it sounds timing wise). Back in the early 80s we used to play, amongst other places, The Queens in Rawtenstall when it was a pretty good live music venue, we had a regular gig there every month for about 18 months or so. Rita and Ski used to own it, don't know if you ever went there. We actually played at venues all over the UK and managed to get on the college and small theatre circuit but as with all things we all started to fall out and it slowly collapsed after 2 years of fairly constant gigging and recording. Happy days and ones I would go back to in a heartbeat if I could.

Favourite bands include:
Yes ...tick
VDGG....tick
Genesis...tick when Gabriel was lead
Pink Floyd...tick
The Who....tick
Caravan....no
Credence Clearwater Revival (first band I ever saw live).....tick
King Crimson...no
In fact pretty much any prog, plus Al Stewart (lots of folk rock really)
Jethro Tull .....big tick
And on and on and on.
Oh by the way, a big nod in the direction of Gong, saw them loads and one of the best live bands around.

Does this put us roughly in the same bracket? Sorry to have gone on a bit but music is my all time one love of my life.

I lived in the Queens when Harold the scouser had it not as much when Ski had it,are you going to give me a clue to your identity

# 45
Steve1956
Posts: 6751
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 2079 times
Has Liked: 1063 times
Location: Fife

Re: Music Fact

Postby Steve1956 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:57 pm

Went to the Marquee on Wardour st in the early 70s Watching Glen Cornicks Wild turkey one of the band electrocuted himself ....can trembler if it was Glen or not,was in London to watch Elton John at the Crystal Palace Bowl

# 46
houseboy
Posts: 3517
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 856 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Music Fact

Postby houseboy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:17 am

Steve1956 wrote:I lived in the Queens when Harold the scouser had it not as much when Ski had it,are you going to give me a clue to your identity

Clues:
My band was called Crosslacon (which probably doesn't mean much 30 odd years on).
I went to the old Alder Grange school.
I was brought up on Hall Carr estate and went to Balladen primary.
My surname is very nearly my username.
I knew Silouette the band really well and performed with them on a few occasions and dueted a few times with Rita who was also their singer.
John Oddie was one of the best musicians I ever worked with and sadly died of cancer a good few years ago.
I was also in a band called Stricken for a while and also (very briefly - one gig I think) with a band called 20/20.
I knew Dave H (David Keefe) very well (sadly he died in the 80s).

Short of giving my name that's it really. I knew most of the regulars in the Queens. It was such an incestuous place back then and we often talked about what went on there - we concluded that because of all the inter-relationships in there if one person had been diagnosed with the then 'new' disease AIDS we'd all be f..cked.

Harold the Scouser - what a guy.

# 47
Steve1956
Posts: 6751
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 2079 times
Has Liked: 1063 times
Location: Fife

Re: Music Fact

Postby Steve1956 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:37 am

Ian?
I lived on Maitland Place on Hall Carr
Went to Balladen Primary
Know Dave Keefe
Stephen is my first name but I'm known by my middle name Paul
I used to knock about with a great amatuer footballer called James Lord

# 48
houseboy
Posts: 3517
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 856 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Music Fact

Postby houseboy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:00 am

Steve1956 wrote:Ian?
I lived on Maitland Place on Hall Carr
Went to Balladen Primary
Know Dave Keefe
Stephen is my first name but I'm known by my middle name Paul
I used to knock about with a great amatuer footballer called James Lord

Jimmy Lord? If the same I went to a Burnley game in the league cup at Aston Villa in an old Humber Hawk and Jimmy was in the car with us. He stabbed the back of my hand with the fag lighter and I got him back on the way home and think I scarred him for life (we were only fooling around I hasten to add). I think Peter Whitley might have been with us as well.

You have my first name bud. Any clue as to your surname? I lived on Shawfield before moving to Haslingden with my parents (and Hardman Avenue before that). Did you know Roger Fulton/Harry Place/Chris Keefe etc?

# 49
SalisburyClaret
Posts: 1211
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:32 pm
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Re: Music Fact

Postby SalisburyClaret » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:12 am

The music you like most is usually what you heard when you were in your teens

# 50
houseboy
Posts: 3517
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 856 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Music Fact

Postby houseboy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:17 am

SalisburyClaret wrote:The music you like most is usually what you heard when you were in your teens

I would say that is a fair assesment although I have loved music generally since my earliest memories. But yes, my favourite music is probably from my teens through to my mid 20s.


Return to “The Bee Hole End”