dilly dallying

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 167 times

dilly dallying

Post by Belgianclaret » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:51 pm

I'm all for playing it out nicely, but for goodness' sake Jeff, boot it away !

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1817 times
Has Liked: 1796 times

Re: dilly dallying

Post by dougcollins » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:57 pm

Somebody will be on to tell you he's MOM again. You just cant see it.
This user liked this post: cblantfanclub

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:59 pm

We don't half create our own problems at times. Just effing hoof it!

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:59 pm

He's a cultured footballer, he doesn't just kick it, hense running the ball out of play at 46 mins. Don't bother trying to win corners or put a ball in, no point.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:02 pm

That's Jeff for yer . Shocker .......................

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:02 pm

good old jeff

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:42 pm

dougcollins wrote:Somebody will be on to tell you he's MOM again. You just cant see it.
You're right. 2 votes for MOM already putting him 4th. I even so a 7 on the ratings thread.

I know Irish folk love their international players, but surely if they watch them so closely they'd see what the rest of us do?

Either that or it's Steve and Spice trying to Rigg the votes again to suit their ever diminishing argument.
This user liked this post: cblantfanclub

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6486 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:22 pm

Oh dear we are losing games again,err who can we blame Jeff Hendrick,people on here have very very short memories,one of the best players at our club.
This user liked this post: Spike

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:44 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Oh dear we are losing games again,err who can we blame Jeff Hendrick,people on here have very very short memories,one of the best players at our club.
Put the rod away Steve, he's a long way down the list. He has half a dozen good games a season at very best.
His Ave ratings and MOM points show what he offers and how regularly he offersit.

He wasn't the reason we lost today, but he was 1 of a couple of players who had a stinker.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:00 pm

In your opinion Macca.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3339 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:03 pm

He looked a very, very good (Championship) player today. Close thread!

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:18 am

Steve1956 wrote:In your opinion Macca.
In about 80% if not more people's opinion.

I get that It's extremely hard to admit you're wrong, but staying quiet is better than keep banging the same drum hoping he has 1 of his better games every dozen and using it to try and make you feel better.

The only thing he does with any sort of consistency is finish very low in all the stats tables, polls, and ratings.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:43 am

MACCA wrote:In about 80% if not more people's opinion.

I get that It's extremely hard to admit you're wrong, but staying quiet is better than keep banging the same drum hoping he has 1 of his better games every dozen and using it to try and make you feel better.

The only thing he does with any sort of consistency is finish very low in all the stats tables, polls, and ratings.
Ok,wouldn't want you on my side in the trenches.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Ok,wouldn't want you on my side in the trenches.
I wouldn't want you with your attitude.
"So Steve did you get those weapons to help us fight the enemy."
"Yep there you go"
"But these are spoons Steve not guns, their useless!!"
"In your opinion"
This user liked this post: Steve1956

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Can you cast your mind back a couple of weeks ago when we were on our run of good form. Who was one of the outstanding players? Will you lot please just get off Hendricks back. It's becoming boring. A while ago I was Barnes biggest critic, and with some justification, but now he has proved me wrong and I'm man enough to admit it. Hendrick is a GOOD player and blaming him for every defeat is as bad as when people were blaming Hart for the same. We have lost 3 on the bounce now - two of them were just very poor TEAM performances and the other was an unsurprising defeat at Anfield (and we still scored two). Stop looking for scapegoats, there are none, just because you don't like a player and get it fixed in your head he's rubbish doesn't make that player bad, it just makes your opinion of him out of place.

Why don't you just boo him every time he touches the ball - that should really lift his game.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:50 pm

He was poor yesterday, but he's one of the reasons we got ourselves into a position where we are not favourites to be relegated.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:52 pm

I don't think Hendrick has been playing badly, and I'm surprised he's back to scapegoat again.
The way I saw that goal was Lallana's work-rate closing down Bardsley's clearance, which Hendrick had left the ball for Bardsley to hoof.

I certainly wouldn't be putting Hendrick as a worst performer, though I appreciate not everybody likes him anyway.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:05 pm

The principle of what Hendrick was trying to do was fine. Hendrick had his back to goal and was on his left foot. All he could have done was to clear it down the middle of the pitch. It would have put Liverpool straight back on the attack. What he tried to do was perfectly sensible - lay it back to a better placed teammate who can make a more calculated clearance to touch, or for one of the strikers to chase down. We did the same thing as a team countless times in similar positions through the game, which makes me think it's an instruction and Hendrick was doing the right thing as per those instructions.

Two things went wrong - firstly Hendrick's touch was a bit soft, and secondly Bardsley had switched off and wasn't alert to it. Had Bardsley been alert to it, I suspect he'd have got a clearance away, albeit a less convincing one than a better touch from Hendrick would have allowed. I'd probably point the finger at both of them, but for that reason probably more at Bardsley.

As to Hendrick's general performance it was OK, but not great, and he was certainly the weakest link in a midfield that generally competed OK. He was a lot better defensively than in possession, that's for certain.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:02 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:I wouldn't want you with your attitude.
"Yep there you go"
"In your opinion"
:lol:

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:15 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:I wouldn't want you with your attitude.
"Yep there you go"
"In your opinion"
If the spoons are sharp....we have a great chance.
This user liked this post: Devils_Advocate

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1487 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:47 pm

Too much mauling sideways and back passing.
Jeff was not the only culprit.Jack Cork too
We need to move into the space infront playing out of defence.Tarks is a quality passerr but why pass it sideways to Ben Mee .Get the ball out wide to feet so Dwight or Joey can continue the quick break then cross for Ash or Woody to score.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32409 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Better than Westwood yesterday and significantly better than Cork, but we lost so it's on his back time again.
This user liked this post: Steve1956

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2071 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:12 pm

What the stats men say. Taken from twelve on twitter but I can't get the full picture of everyone.

Belgianclaret

Post by Belgianclaret » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:40 am

ClaretTony wrote:Better than Westwood yesterday and significantly better than Cork, but we lost so it's on his back time again.
Maybe this comment goes for some, but not for me.

I think Hendrick and Heaton will know that they made mistakes, and if not, the gaffer will have spelt it out to them.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:58 am

Belgianclaret wrote:Maybe this comment goes for some, but not for me.

I think Hendrick and Heaton will know that they made mistakes, and if not, the gaffer will have spelt it out to them.
I'm sure that's right Belgian. But I'm also sure Bardsley will know he was also culpable for the second goal (perhaps more so) and that he contributed to the fourth by giving the ba away cheaply and getting caught out of position. And of course there will be others who know they made mistakes that weren't so obviously punished.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:18 am

claretspice wrote:I'm sure that's right Belgian. But I'm also sure Bardsley will know he was also culpable for the second goal (perhaps more so)
Cant agree with this at all. I don't mind Hendrick and thought his number 10 role was key to our success last season and Ive never been a fan of Bardsley but no way id say he's more culpable.

My view is it was a bad header back as it should have gone to the right of Hendrick so if he got in trouble he could easily clear it out of touch. I think Hendrick panicked a bit cos suddenly he had a ball behind him and facing inwards and as a result he duffed the pass. Bardsley looked to be a bit switched off (that was my initial thought) cos he braced himself ready to boot clear Hendricks pass but when it fell short suddenly he had to motion forwards to the ball and that natural reaction time allowed Lalana to do a brilliant block.

So I would say poor header (by Barnes I think) and maybe Bardsley could have reacted a littler quicker but it was Hendricks awful pass that was the main reason for me

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:24 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:Cant agree with this at all. I don't mind Hendrick and thought his number 10 role was key to our success last season and Ive never been a fan of Bardsley but no way id say he's more culpable.

My view is it was a bad header back as it should have gone to the right of Hendrick so if he got in trouble he could easily clear it out of touch. I think Hendrick panicked a bit cos suddenly he had a ball behind him and facing inwards and as a result he duffed the pass. Bardsley looked to be a bit switched off (that was my initial thought) cos he braced himself ready to boot clear Hendricks pass but when it fell short suddenly he had to motion forwards to the ball and that natural reaction time allowed Lalana to do a brilliant block.

So I would say poor header (by Barnes I think) and maybe Bardsley could have reacted a littler quicker but it was Hendricks awful pass that was the main reason for me
I can only refer you back to what I wrote in post 18 above as to the reason why I think Hendrick was trying to do the right thing, and why Bardsley should have been expecting a pass. Certainly, Hendrick's pass was a bad one, but had Bardsley been expecting the pass he'd have got there in time to get enough on it to avert the original danger. The problem was he wasn't anticipating the pass at all, which allowed Lallana to win the ball cleanly; in my opinion based on the way we worked clearances inside the box throughout the rest of the game, he should have done.

But perhaps the real point here is that all this is debatable, all players make mistakes and it's just unfortunate that that one, whoever was at fault, was punished.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:52 am

Belgianclaret wrote:Maybe this comment goes for some, but not for me.

It’s not just about one potential mistake but about overall performance. Cork, for me, was our worst player on Sunday. I think Hendrick should have cleared it for the second goal but Bardsley, otherwise playing well,was equally at fault.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:16 am

claretspice wrote:I can only refer you back to what I wrote in post 18 above as to the reason why I think Hendrick was trying to do the right thing, and why Bardsley should have been expecting a pass. Certainly, Hendrick's pass was a bad one, but had Bardsley been expecting the pass he'd have got there in time to get enough on it to avert the original danger. The problem was he wasn't anticipating the pass at all, which allowed Lallana to win the ball cleanly; in my opinion based on the way we worked clearances inside the box throughout the rest of the game, he should have done.

But perhaps the real point here is that all this is debatable, all players make mistakes and it's just unfortunate that that one, whoever was at fault, was punished.
I agree with you that Hendrick was doing the right thing but I think Bardsley was ready for the pass as in he steadied himself ready to clear it. I guess we just disagree on the second bit for the reasons we state and as you say its all debateable and what a messageboard is for

Belgianclaret

Post by Belgianclaret » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:53 am

ClaretTony wrote:It’s not just about one potential mistake but about overall performance. Cork, for me, was our worst player on Sunday. I think Hendrick should have cleared it for the second goal but Bardsley, otherwise playing well,was equally at fault.
That's what makes football & this message board interesting (sometimes ;) ), it's all about opinions.

There were a few more players slightly off peak on Sunday, but who can blame them after their efforts during the last weeks.

I was just disappointed in the manner we gave away three of their goals, but anyhow, I'm still convinced Liverpool would have won the game. There just is no equal playing field with the top six nowadays, so our victory against Tottenham should be perceived as a minor miracle.

Let us beat Leicester and put this difficult season to bed as soon as possible.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:43 pm

Belgianclaret wrote:I was just disappointed in the manner we gave away three of their goals
We all were, but to point the finger at Jeff Hendrick is somewhat harsh