Team for Leicester

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Team for Leicester

Post by Blackrod » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:32 pm

Heaton
Bardsley Tarkowski Mee Taylor
JBG Westwood Cork McNeil
Barnes Wood
This user liked this post: LoveCurryPies

claretspice
Been Liked: 2826 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Re: Team for Leicester

Post by claretspice » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:36 pm

I'd say the only two places that are up for grabs are the two right sided berths.

We were a bit exposed in the last home game for having two essentially solid but uncreative options down that side and I'm told the same was the case against Southampton, so there's a strong argument for either Lowton coming back in for Bardsley (albeit that would be extremely harsh on Bardsley but it would improve our delivery from the right), or JBG replacing Hendrick. The latter seems more likely to happen, but there's always a danger that we get overrun in midfield without Hendrick offering an extra man.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2630 times
Has Liked: 6441 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:37 pm

Like it Blackrod...

a football thread at last ;)

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18201 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:44 pm

Blackrod wrote:Heaton
JBG Westwood Cork McNeil
Barnes Wood
:shock: :o :o :shock:
A Football thread what ever next

bfc-sparta
Been Liked: 27 times

Post by bfc-sparta » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:44 pm

Heaton
Bardsley tark mee Taylor
Jbg Westwood. Cork McNeil
. vydra wood
This user liked this post: djt2006

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3860 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:49 pm

JBG in for certain

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18201 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:51 pm

Reckon Blackrods nailed it .....

Its the team I would expect.

:)

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:53 pm

What about Hart instead of Heaton and Long in for Tarks? Barnes and Wood as full backs and Bardsley and Taylor up front.

Being serious for a minute I think, given our squad, with the odd exception, at the moment the team pretty much picks itself. Which in itself is not really a good thing. The only argument anyone might have with the above is JBG and Hendrick and much as I like and defend Hendrick I would go JBG every time as one of our really true quality players. Our squad at the moment is so thin it's see-through. If we survive this season (and I genuinely believe we will) the Summer window is going to have to see us spend money in a way we have never done before or next season could be a bit of an embarrasment. Our technically most gifted player by a mile, Defour, can't seem to get through 4 games without injury and even then he struggles to finish one. Even JBG is very injury prone and they are simply our two best players (outfield). Barnes and Wood are in a good run of form but they have been hit and miss till of late and they may go backwards who knows. Defensively we are steady away and that is good but cover is a bit thin to almost non-existent. All in all we have enough to see this season out succesfully (I think) but we will need major investment in the Summer and that isn't even taking into account any potential outgoings (Tarks will obviously be targeted, as could Mee and of course Heaton, even Barnes might raise some interest from the lesser clubs with more money than us - which is just about everyone if you believe our board).

Hey ho - priority number one - stay up.
Priority number two - spend an absolute shed load of money in summer, especially if we lose a couple of players.

SmudgetheClaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:02 pm

I just wish we had a Tommy Robinson....right winger :D
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller Stayingup

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:09 pm

Heaton
JBG Hendrick Westwood McNeil
Barnes Wood
This user liked this post: Claretpants

SmudgetheClaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:22 pm

Firthy wrote:Heaton
JBG Hendrick Westwood McNeil
Barnes Wood
Interesting one that Firthy Cork has been almost invisible lately Hendrick could be a good shout..
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:27 pm

Heaton

Bardsley tarkowski Gibson Ward

JBG cork Westwood McNeil

Vydra

Barnes

4-2-3-1 when attacking

Get Vydra actually in his preferred position and play him from the start, Ward when on Form better than Taylor for me as well as he’s done recently.

£15m beach warmer a little odd, prefer his distribution to Mee’s.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:49 pm

SmudgetheClaret wrote:Interesting one that Firthy Cork has been almost invisible lately Hendrick could be a good shout..
Harsh on Cork, who has been excellent in our recent run and was, for example, outstanding against Spurs. And Leicester, with their quality on the counter attack, are one of those sides where disciplined players who screen the back 4 are really important. That said, Hendrick and Westwood have always gelled really well whenever they've played - they have a nice balance between them.
This user liked this post: SmudgetheClaret

cblantfanclub
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by cblantfanclub » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:55 pm

Have to disagree Hendrick is back to underperforming after a couple of good games.He is too inconsistent.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:27 pm

claretspice wrote:I'd say the only two places that are up for grabs are the two right sided berths.

We were a bit exposed in the last home game for having two essentially solid but uncreative options down that side and I'm told the same was the case against Southampton, so there's a strong argument for either Lowton coming back in for Bardsley (albeit that would be extremely harsh on Bardsley but it would improve our delivery from the right), or JBG replacing Hendrick. The latter seems more likely to happen, but there's always a danger that we get overrun in midfield without Hendrick offering an extra man.
We stand the chance of being overrun in midfield every time we play 2 up front, Spice. particularly true when the two tend to be occupying virtually the same spaces.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:56 pm

boatshed bill wrote:We stand the chance of being overrun in midfield every time we play 2 up front, Spice. particularly true when the two tend to be occupying virtually the same spaces.
From the West Ham game until the Newcastle match it worked incredibly well though.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:58 pm

Spijed wrote:From the West Ham game until the Newcastle match it worked incredibly well though.
It certainly had, up to the more recent games. But the point still stands, we can easily get overrun.
2 in centre-mid often get bullied.
This user liked this post: Spijed

Moorite
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 108 times

Post by Moorite » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:19 pm

Heaton
Bards Tarky Mee Taylor
Hendrick Westwood McNeil
JBG Crouch Brady

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by Nonayforever » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:28 pm

You can bet the ranch on it being the same starting lineup as Liverpool.
However, I would expect SD to change the format pretty quickly if we go behind.
This is a game between two similar teams and one that I think SD will be targeting for points.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:48 pm

Bosscat wrote::shock: :o :o :shock:
A vote on it?
This user liked this post: Bosscat

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1171 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by burnleymik » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:28 pm

--------------Heaton-----------
Bards--- Tarky--- Mee--- Taylor
JBG--- Hendrick-- Westwood--- McNeil
----------Vydra--------------
-----------Wood-------------
This user liked this post: claretfern

NL Claret
Been Liked: 520 times
Has Liked: 212 times

Post by NL Claret » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:09 pm

claretspice wrote:Harsh on Cork, who has been excellent in our recent run and was, for example, outstanding against Spurs. And Leicester, with their quality on the counter attack, are one of those sides where disciplined players who screen the back 4 are really important. That said, Hendrick and Westwood have always gelled really well whenever they've played - they have a nice balance between them.
Cork hasn't been close to excellent since December 2017.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Goobs
Been Liked: 1462 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:29 pm

Heaton
Tarks Mee Gibson
Bardsley Taylor
JBG Westwood McNeil
Barnes Wood

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:07 pm

NL Claret wrote:Cork hasn't been close to excellent since December 2017.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I think he had a fairly ordinary 2018 overall, but since Boxing Day he's had a series of excellent games, although his form has dropped again a little in the last 3 games (particularly the first two of those; I think he's been unfairly singled out in respect of the Liverpool game where generally I thought we competed very well in the centre of the park).

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:13 pm

boatshed bill wrote:We stand the chance of being overrun in midfield every time we play 2 up front, Spice. particularly true when the two tend to be occupying virtually the same spaces.
We do, but if the midfield 4 is tight and shuffles across the pitch, we minimise that risk. When we play with two players who want/are encouraged to hold their width when we get the ball, we're more vulnerable to being overrun in transition. Hendrick's done a terrific job at helping us make the two a three at times recently, whilst also doing his duties to negate his opposing full back. The trouble is that as teams have adapted to us, that's increasingly come at the expense of any sort of real attacking threat on the outside down the right, because getting to the byline or otherwise whipping in a cross is not a strength of either Hendrick or Bardsley (and neither are particularly subtle passers of the ball either).

In fairness, as McNeil has grown into the side, and given he's obviously comfortable in more central areas, perhaps there's an argument that a more natural wide player on the right makes sense. But it still asks quite a lot of McNeil off the ball to know when to step in to make a 3, and when to track wide - its something that really comes with experience.

As for the front two, they work well together and I think that a lot of the time, the fact that they play fairly close to each other can be a strength, particularly in the way we try and build attacks in first phase. Sure, there are probably limitations to the success you can have playing that way, but for current purposes it seems to me to be the least of our issues.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2001 times
Has Liked: 3331 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:59 pm

Goobs wrote:Heaton
Tarks Mee Gibson
Bardsley Taylor
JBG Westwood McNeil
Barnes Wood
There are times when being a bit "experimental" and trying something a bit different is a good idea, but sitting on a meager 30 points with just 8 games left and facing a match which we MUST be targeting to add to our tally, isn't one of them . I actually think there's some mileage in this formation somewhere along the line as an alternative to our utterly predictable set up, but I don't want or expect to see it on Saturday.
On another note McNeil of course simply HAS to play, but because of his lack of experience he does leave us a bit short defensively on that side and doesn't give Taylor the cover Arfield or Boyd for example would give. That's a trade off I'm prepared to accept and I'd also accept JBG starting ahead of Hendrick, but I honestly don't believe that will happen either as Hendrick (allegedly) keeps us tighter in midfield and JBG will be brought on against tiring legs for the last 15 minutes and tbf he's not a bad "impact" sub MOST of the time.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1995 times
Has Liked: 1141 times

Post by FCBurnley » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:39 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:Like it Blackrod...

a football thread at last ;)
What happened to Political threads going onto a separate site as per the recent vote on here ? Has this happened or have I missed something ?
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:41 pm

We are at home against Leicester and we need points. I would go normal team but JBG playing instead of Hendrick. Dependant on the state of play, I would be ready to bring Crouch and Vydra on earlier than normal.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2001 times
Has Liked: 3331 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:41 pm

Vino blanco wrote:We are at home against Leicester and we need points. I would go normal team but JBG playing instead of Hendrick. Dependant on the state of play, I would be ready to bring Crouch and Vydra on earlier than normal.
88th and 89th minutes then!! :lol:

lancastrian
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by lancastrian » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:16 am

After the debacle at Liverpool last Sunday, Heaton, Tarkowski and Hendrick should be dropped and replaced by Pope ( if fit ), Gibson and JBG. Players cannot keep making mistakes and expect to retain their place in the team. As this is a must win match perhaps Crouch should play at least for his experience.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:51 pm

boatshed bill wrote:It certainly had, up to the more recent games. But the point still stands, we can easily get overrun.
2 in centre-mid often get bullied.
Not when you bypass it :D

paulus the woodgnome
Been Liked: 258 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by paulus the woodgnome » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:53 am

lancastrian wrote:After the debacle at Liverpool last Sunday, Heaton, Tarkowski and Hendrick should be dropped and replaced by Pope ( if fit ), Gibson and JBG. Players cannot keep making mistakes and expect to retain their place in the team. As this is a must win match perhaps Crouch should play at least for his experience.
Heaton "keeps making mistakes" How many bad games has he had for us man?

Tread Warily
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 123 times

Post by Tread Warily » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:15 am

Bosscat wrote::shock: :o :o :shock:
Aintree

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 657 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:41 am

FCBurnley wrote:What happened to Political threads going onto a separate site as per the recent vote on here ? Has this happened or have I missed something ?
There’ll have to be a second vote on it as the wrong decision came out...;-)

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1048 times

Post by CleggHall » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:30 am

Marney&Mee wrote:There’ll have to be a second vote on it as the wrong decision came out...;-)
Perhaps we are awaiting a 3rd Meaningful Vote!
Like Mrs May just continue until you get the "right" result.

Safron
Been Liked: 226 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Safron » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:58 pm

I will be massively chuffed off if Hendrick is in the team in the place of jbg , massively