Bloody Sunday : One Soldier To Be Charged

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Bloody Sunday : One Soldier To Be Charged

Post by ElectroClaret » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:04 am

BBC.. .Not enough evidence to charge others, but he will be charged with two murders and four attempted murders.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Re: Bloody Sunday : One Soldier To Be Charged

Post by Tribesmen » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:23 am

Looks like one is going to be charged for killing two people .

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:28 am

Meanwhile... "All Kinds of everything, remind me of you" Birmingham and Deal and... And Warrington and Warren Point too... do do do do do do do, that says that I LOVE YOU..."

If you look at the videos of the thugs goading the army, all those faces could be identified quite easily.

Strange political timing given the Brexit situation.
Last edited by Pstotto on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:29 am

All legal costs of the soldier to be prosecuted are to be paid by the government, and he will be "fully supported."(Gavin Williamson, defence secretary)

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:33 am

How does that fit with the freeing of terrorist murderers as part of the Good Friday Agreement? Is that not cake-and-eat it?

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:45 am

This subject is far to controversial to be on a footy site. I was going to try and add some comment but I haven't the time or the patience.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone IanMcL

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:46 am

Sausage wrote:Disgraceful. It’s almost like the truth and reconciliation exercise, the early release of Republican and Nationalist murderers and the Good Friday Agreement never happened. If they’re going to prosecute a soldier who was effectively in a war zone reminiscent of Kosovo, then let’s prosecute John Downey, the fu*king remorseless cowardly c*nt who still hasn’t been brought to justice over the murder of four innocent people in the Hyde Park Barracks bombing in 1982.
Truth and reconciliation works both ways. This is about getting to the truth of what happened, is it not? Isn't that the point of the "truth" part of truth and reconciliation?

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:51 am

We know the truth courtesy of the Saville Report.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:52 am

Regrettably, I think this court case needs to happen.

It won't stop the current lot sending their letter bombs, nor will it bring about the prosecution of former/current IRA members for their actions, but it does need to happen.

It was a complete white wash by the government/army and has always reared its head since and I suspect made things in Ireland far worse than it would've been.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:52 am

Sausage wrote:We know the truth courtesy of the Saville Report.
Name one of the guilty soldiers.

SmudgetheClaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:55 am

ElectroClaret wrote:BBC.. .Not enough evidence to charge others, but he will be charged with two murders and four attempted murders.
and dont you love it...

Sausage

Post by Sausage » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:56 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Name one of the guilty soldiers.
I can't and you know I can't.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:58 am

Sausage wrote:I can't and you know I can't.
Sensible answer to a stupid question.
This user liked this post: Sausage

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Sausage wrote:I can't and you know I can't.
That was my point. Neither you nor I know who is responsible for the deaths of any of those people.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:02 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Sensible answer to a stupid question.

It wasn't a stupid question, you just didn't understand its purpose. The purpose being to point out that we can't know the full truth of what happened if we don't know who is responsible for any of it.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4094 times
Has Liked: 6571 times

Post by bobinho » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:06 pm

Is he at it again?
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Damo

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:20 pm

I’m all for defending our armed forces but when two of those killed where shot in the back and another is a 14 year old boy some of the comments on here are outrageous. When members of the paras have testified that their colleagues where picking targets randomly and “putting them down” it smacks of murder not war. Yes the stress levels would have been through the roof, but the paras exceeded the orders by a mile. It is a national disgrace this has taken so, and been covered up for so long.

It was the making of he IRA who up until then were a very minor group, but within six months were blowing up Britain at will. Check dates... people wont because they’d rather remain ignorant of facts and work on emotion.
These 5 users liked this post: Imploding Turtle IanMcL longsidepies nil_desperandum Lord Beamish

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:49 pm

elwaclaret wrote:I’m all for defending our armed forces but when two of those killed where shot in the back and another is a 14 year old boy some of the comments on here are outrageous. When members of the paras have testified that their colleagues where picking targets randomly and “putting them down” it smacks of murder not war. Yes the stress levels would have been through the roof, but the paras exceeded the orders by a mile. It is a national disgrace this has taken so, and been covered up for so long.

It was the making of he IRA who up until then were a very minor group, but within six months were blowing up Britain at will. Check dates... people wont because they’d rather remain ignorant of facts and work on emotion.
Where as of course the freedom fighters of the IRA only ever targeted legitimate military personnel. Like 3 year old Jonathan Ball and 12 year old Tim Parry in the war zone of lunchtime Warrington back in the 1990s.

Good job no more innocents were killed on Bloody Sunday too. Like the 'politician' Martin McGuinness, the second in command in Londonderry that day, who had issued bomb parts that morning to attack parts of the city and is widely acknowledged to have been on the streets armed with a machine gun. Live by the sword etc.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:01 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:Where as of course the freedom fighters of the IRA only ever targeted legitimate military personnel. Like 3 year old Jonathan Ball and 12 year old Tim Parry in the war zone of lunchtime Warrington back in the 1990s.

Good job no more innocents were killed on Bloody Sunday too. Like the 'politician' Martin McGuinness, the second in command in Londonderry that day, who had issued bomb parts that morning to attack parts of the city and is widely acknowledged to have been on the streets armed with a machine gun. Live by the sword etc.
So if you went along to see what was going on in a Burnley disturbance, you deserve to be shot dead because there are rumours there are or may be idiots with guns? Ok

Or could these rumours possibly be a reaction that the Paras went far beyond their orders and ended up murdering British subjects in their own town?

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:11 pm

People either forget or have never bothered to find out that the army was sent in to defend RC’s from Protestant atrocities and were welcome by the Catholic communities...the political landscape and the votes were needed resulted in a flip.

IRA atrocities started AFTER Bloody Sunday not before, but of course it was in no way a reaction that they went from a couple of hundred strong to millions pouring in from sympathisers around the world for no reason.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:21 pm

Government and Army did not do well, in these circumstances. The Parachute Regiment is trained to do many things...mostly go where no one ought and risk their lives. Killing, to survive, being paramount.

Not the folk you send in to monitor a march/demonstration.

Scapegoat found, after all these years. Just the one mind.

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:24 pm

all the mass murderers were freed .No soldier should be jailed

claret wizard
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:42 pm

It was 47 years ago.
There's convicted terrorists who have been released and suspected terrorists who aren't being prosecuted. That was the price of peace and the Good Friday Agreement has mostly delivered that. Why this can't be treated under the same auspicious and put to bed I don't understand. Just look at the comments on the thread above this post, it just brings out all the old wounds and divisions. Out of the announcement today 2 families feel like they have got somewhere, but how a conviction can possibly be secured with most people who witnessed that day long gone, and the few who remain recalling stuff from 47 years ago.
These 2 users liked this post: Stayingup Espia

Sausage

Post by Sausage » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:05 pm

Spike wrote:all the mass murderers were freed .No soldier should be jailed
It's more nuanced than this. The terms of the Good Friday Agreement were that those people who had been convicted and were serving time in prison would be released. Their convictions remain; they have not been pardoned. The Good Friday Agreement did not grant an amnesty for people whose crimes have not been prosecuted, whether they occurred before or after the signing of the Agreement. My point, expressed above, is that justice can only work if it is fair. By fair, I mean applied equally to all sides. There are understood to be 187* IRA terrorists who have been issued with letters of immunity by the UK Government or agencies of the UK Government, for crimes which have never been prosecuted. If it is right to prosecute one soldier, then it is right to prosecute as many of the 187 IRA terrorists as possible too.

However, I want peace in Northern Ireland. I don't think peace can hold while people are committed to prosecuting people for events that happened 47 years ago. There comes a point when the injustices on all sides have to be recognised - as they are in the Saville Report - and simply left well alone.

*No, Imploding Turtle, I can't name them.
These 2 users liked this post: Espia Alanstevensonsgloves

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:06 pm

claret wizard wrote:It was 47 years ago.
There's convicted terrorists who have been released and suspected terrorists who aren't being prosecuted. That was the price of peace and the Good Friday Agreement has mostly delivered that. Why this can't be treated under the same auspicious and put to bed I don't understand. Just look at the comments on the thread above this post, it just brings out all the old wounds and divisions. Out of the announcement today 2 families feel like they have got somewhere, but how a conviction can possibly be secured with most people who witnessed that day long gone, and the few who remain recalling stuff from 47 years ago.
I take your point... but if it had been your family member would you make the same argument?

claret wizard

Post by claret wizard » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:09 pm

elwaclaret wrote:I take your point... but if it had been your family member would you make the same argument?
I had two mates killed by the IRA whilst in the Forces. So yes. A line needs to be drawn under this.
This user liked this post: Pimlico_Claret

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:18 pm

claret wizard wrote:I had two mates killed by the IRA whilst in the Forces. So yes. A line needs to be drawn under this.
And it will be, by a trial. If this guy is a murderer then we (the public) deserve to know what he did, and he deserves the it that we know what he did.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

claret wizard

Post by claret wizard » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:And it will be, by a trial. If this guy is a murderer then we (the public) deserve to know what he did, and he deserves the it that we know what he did.
Guess you've not read my post above. It's this argument that sees us digging up all the past unpunished atrocities and it all continues again. Whilst the Good Friday agreement was not an Amnesty in many cases it has been seen to be one.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3337 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:And it will be, by a trial. If this guy is a murderer then we (the public) deserve to know what he did, and he deserves the it that we know what he did.
But people on all sides were murderers and those on certain sides have been told they won't face prosecution for what they did. How is that fair?
(Plus, as far as I can make out, these soldiers were definitely under fire. They may have overreacted and they may have ultimately shot back at the wrong people by mistake, but I'm certain it's a very difficult assessment to make when bullets are coming your way and you are scared the next one will hit you)

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:26 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:But people on all sides were murderers and those on certain sides have been told they won't face prosecution for what they did. How is that fair?
(Plus, as far as I can make out, these soldiers were definitely under fire. They may have overreacted and they may have ultimately shot back at the wrong people by mistake, but I'm certain it's a very difficult assessment to make when bullets are coming your way and you are scared the next one will hit you)
Those assertions don't appear to be supported by the conclusions of the Saville inquiry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Su ... onclusions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3337 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:04 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Those assertions don't appear to be supported by the conclusions of the Saville inquiry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Su ... onclusions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you IT and I have read the link. However I still think that my opening sentence is the nub of the issue for the majority of fair minded people and also I am slightly cynical and do wonder how much pressure the Saville inquiry was under to come up with answers that sat well with the Nationalist community and didn't rock the burgeoning peace process.

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1149 times
Has Liked: 1443 times

Post by Pearcey » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:50 pm

I like the way some people on here think it’s a simple case of someone being a Murderer. Northern Ireland was a horrendous place to be for any British soldier deployed there. With a massive crowd amassed and tensions extremely high, it’s hardly surprising that something happened. The CO from the time still insists they were under attack. Let’s not forget the amount of soldiers that had already been killed. I’m not saying a grave mistake wasn’t made but I’m not sure murder is the right charge.

I come from Deal in Kent and have witnessed the horror and tragedy of an IRA bomb. They do not care who they kill.
This user liked this post: Stayingup

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:03 pm

Lawyers will be rubbing their hands pound note signs in their eyes. Disgraceful this given known killers have immunity from prosecution. In a way sums up the sad current state of this country. Potty

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:45 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Name one of the guilty soldiers.
There are no guilty soldiers since none has been tried in front of a judge and jury of a crime yet.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:24 pm

mdd2 wrote:There are no guilty soldiers since none has been tried in front of a judge and jury of a crime yet.
Indeed.

Espia
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Espia » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:48 pm

I'm sorry but if we going to resurrect this soldier going on trial for something that may or may not have happened 47 years ago then we will also have to rescind all those letters to the "On the Runs" who were effectively told that although they could just as easily be guilty of whatever this soldier is accused of they will not be pursued , and thus effectively pardoned/excused.

And therein lies the trouble with this prosecution. We either let the ethos of the peace process continue, for the greater good, or we rake up all the horrors of the past for everyone suspected of crimes and just sit back and see where that takes us. My guess is it won't be pretty.

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:35 pm

I don’t see how Soldier F will be able to get a fare trial in Ireland everyone in the Country will already have an opinion on Bloody Sunday borne from there Political/ Religious background. I am torn with this issue in that as an ex Soldier I don’t want any Soldiers/ former Soldiers tried for there actions serving Queen and Country. On the other hand I think we do need closure and to determine whether Soldier F and ultimately 1 Paras actions that day were justified and the result was part of a grave mistake or not. I don’t believe for 1 minute that there wasn’t provocation by the IRA on that day no matter what any report says, but was there enough?