Luka Jovic

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Luka Jovic

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri May 17, 2019 11:02 am

And im off to the sunset on my commission.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:12 am

MrTopTier wrote:Finalised a deal from Benfica to Frankfurt, six weeks ago for around £10m due to a clause in the contract. Has now been sold for £52m to Real Madrid, Benfica got an additional £10.5m. Not a bad bit of business.
Deffo not worth spending a few days & the cost of a plane ticket to look at him then!

KellyClaret
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by KellyClaret » Sat May 18, 2019 8:59 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Hes ****. I knew nothing.
What a strange OP, the gist of it being, look at me me I was right about something.

You are trying to make it out as though you are some sort of football scouting, idiot savant. But in reality you probably just played a bit of Football Manager or Fifa to base your suggestions on. These players were known talents at the time, you were not on your own in believing that these kids were half decent hence them being snapped up by much larger clubs than ourselves.

Also you mention that Liverpool and Benfica bought the pair, how are we supposed to compete with that as a newly promoted Premier League side?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat May 18, 2019 9:02 am

KellyClaret wrote:What a strange OP, the gist of it being, look at me me I was right about something.

You are trying to make it out as though you are some sort of football scouting, idiot savant. But in reality you probably just played a bit of Football Manager or Fifa to base your suggestions on. These players were known talents at the time, you were not on your own in believing that these kids were half decent hence them being snapped up by much larger clubs than ourselves.

Also you mention that Liverpool and Benfica bought the pair, how are we supposed to compete with that as a newly promoted Premier League side?

I didnt profess to be some sort of scout. I just knew that they had something. Having watched them live. In the flesh a couple of times at a young age. And its clear how much potential the two had.

Nothing more than that.

Not that it mattered. the year they eventually moved, we signed our own hot prospect Sordell.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat May 18, 2019 9:46 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat May 18, 2019 9:54 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:The Boy Who Cried Wolf
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat May 18, 2019 10:10 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:I didnt profess to be some sort of scout. I just knew that they had something. Having watched them live. In the flesh a couple of times at a young age. And its clear how much potential the two had.

Nothing more than that.

Not that it mattered. the year they eventually moved, we signed our own hot prospect Sordell.
You make it sound so simple - “it’s clear how much potential they had”......that really is a joke of a statement.
How many young players look world beaters when they are young and don’t make it ?
I saw David Beckham play for Preston when he was on loan and he looked decent enough - funny thing is there was a player called Ben Thornley who looked a much better player than Beckham when they were young players. It was far from “clear” watching these 2 players which one would go on to be a great player - most normal punters just watching them play would not have said Beckham.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat May 18, 2019 10:27 am

TVC15 wrote:You make it sound so simple - “it’s clear how much potential they had”......that really is a joke of a statement.
How many young players look world beaters when they are young and don’t make it ?
I saw David Beckham play for Preston when he was on loan and he looked decent enough - funny thing is there was a player called Ben Thornley who looked a much better player than Beckham when they were young players. It was far from “clear” watching these 2 players which one would go on to be a great player - most normal punters just watching them play would not have said Beckham.
:lol:

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat May 18, 2019 10:29 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote::lol:
Is that your retarded laugh ?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat May 18, 2019 11:06 am

TVC15 wrote:Is that your retarded laugh ?
That not very nice is it.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sat May 18, 2019 11:12 am

rob63 wrote:Deffo not worth spending a few days & the cost of a plane ticket to look at him then!
As the OP has said, he's not a scout and doesn't claim to be one. The club isn't likely to spend a few days + plane ticket and hotel costs at the suggestion of someone who isn't a scout.

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Post by ecc » Sat May 18, 2019 11:15 am

"You are trying to make it out as though you are some sort of football scouting, idiot savant. But in reality you probably just played a bit of Football Manager or Fifa to base your suggestions on."

Hi KellyClaret,

You can believe me or not but I know csc does actually know about football in Serbia and Montenegro. He's seen a fair few matches out there and knows people in those countries so it's not based on FM or FIFA.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat May 18, 2019 11:30 am

He’s never mentioned it?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat May 18, 2019 12:50 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:He’s never mentioned it?
He's not one for Bragging...

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Sat May 18, 2019 1:04 pm

TVC15 wrote:You make it sound so simple - “it’s clear how much potential they had”......that really is a joke of a statement.
When you consider that Ben Thornley picked up a nasty injury that more or less ended his career at the top level, it sort of makes your point irrelevant.

Beckham stayed fit. Thornley didnt. That’s why he didn’t make it to the top level.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:47 pm

bobinho wrote:When you consider that Ben Thornley picked up a nasty injury that more or less ended his career at the top level, it sort of makes your point irrelevant.

Beckham stayed fit. Thornley didnt. That’s why he didn’t make it to the top level.
Not really - you can say that about lots of players. Terry Cooke was another one at United who looked a great player when he was younger.
The point is you can’t say that it’s clear to see someone was going to be a great player when you see them playing at a young age....when there are so many examples of players who fall away and so many examples of players who did not stand out as teenagers / improve significantly later in the career.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat May 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Where does that fit into the Debate?

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat May 18, 2019 3:50 pm

I got a 6 month ban for less, mods, a little bit of consistency is all I ask.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Sat May 18, 2019 4:23 pm

TVC15 wrote:Not really - you can say that about lots of players. Terry Cooke was another one at United who looked a great player when he was younger.
The point is you can’t say that it’s clear to see someone was going to be a great player when you see them playing at a young age....when there are so many examples of players who fall away and so many examples of players who did not stand out as teenagers / improve significantly later in the career.
I agree entirely.

My point was that Ben Thornley wasn’t one of those, so I couldn’t understand what you meant.

1Simpleton
Been Liked: 21 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by 1Simpleton » Sat May 18, 2019 4:46 pm

Mark Ford was in this bracket, a Waddle signing. I remember Stan Ternent asking him what he did. Your a hard tackling midfielder MF no. Your a skillful player beats a man and glide the ball all over the park, MF no. So Stan asks him well what the eff do you do. Not money well spent

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:58 pm

bobinho wrote:I agree entirely.

My point was that Ben Thornley wasn’t one of those, so I couldn’t understand what you meant.
I’d forgot he’d been injured to be honest - I just remember United having a number of young players around that time who impressed and then SAF skilfully sold them to other clubs as he knew they hadn’t progressed enough

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Sun May 19, 2019 12:18 am

dsr wrote:As the OP has said, he's not a scout and doesn't claim to be one. The club isn't likely to spend a few days + plane ticket and hotel costs at the suggestion of someone who isn't a scout.
I didn't say he was a scout, it was merely a jocular reference to our scouts not appearing to own a passport or by SD's admission, knowing nothing of European football despite the frequency of matches on non-terrestrial TV & online nowadays.
Hopefully this will be rectified under Mike Rigg & we might find the odd unpolished gem to sell on to give us more money to spend & compete in the market.
Concerned supporters like OP with positive posts are much more interesting than the negative comment brigade