A great couple of hours!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

A great couple of hours!

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:50 pm

I am at present between houses and living in a holiday cottage, owner, by a pub, in Warkworth, Northumberland and this gave me a great opportunity to visit my friend and Clarets legend, John Angus.

He is still looking very well and fit, in spite of having had two knee replacements and a hip replacement over many years. He is now 80 years old but still walks regularly with his lovely dog. He has given up golf because he was losing his timing and it was frustrating him, having been a very good golfer in his time.
We sat and chatted about football in general and both agreed that we did not particularly enjoy the way that the modern games seems to be heading with good tackles being penalised because an opponent decides to roll around on the pitch after being fairly tackled and the officials are being conned more and more.
We discussed the parallels between the players of today when compared to the likes of the old Spurs team which included the hard players like Maurice Norman and Dave Mackay and a good centre forward in Bobby Smith but also had lovely footballers such as John White and Danny Blanchflower, a brilliant goalscorer in Jimmy Greaves and excellent wingers in Cliff Jones and Terry Medwin. As John said, they were really good players who could play on less than perfect pitches, as anyone who went to White Hart Lane during the years prior to the PL will confirm. We reminisced about some of the great games between our two clubs but also included many more including the title winning match at Maine Road.

I shall stop there but suffice to say that, as always, it was a great pleasure to spend time in John's company. He is a real gentleman and looks back on his time at Burnley with great pleasure, he said that he enjoyed every minute of his playing career, although he did not enjoy travelling and he is still the same!
These 23 users liked this post: tim_noone Bin Ont Turf tybfc conyoviejo Tricky Trevor Claret HunterST_BFC mdd2 The Enclosure Claret Till I Die Suratclaret Siddo CleggHall longsidepies South West Claret. Claretforshaw summitclaret lakedistrictclaret elwaclaret levraiclaret mybloodisclaret Claret Till I Die Vino blanco

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: A great couple of hours!

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:54 pm

Definitely a Clarets legend.

I'm not jealous at all. :)

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:04 pm

Nice one Ashy.. A great player he was too.

We got Cool John Angus at full back .. 8-)
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4831 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:36 pm

My favourite place in the UK... well, just next door in Alnmouth! Wonderful coastline.
These 3 users liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin Ashingtonclaret46 conyoviejo

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:02 am

What a great player and I guess there will be many on here who wish they could have been there with you! There were some memorable games between Burnley and Spurs...Bobby Smith shoulder charging Adam Blacklaw was an example of the irresistable force meeting the immovable object.
These 2 users liked this post: Siddo Ashingtonclaret46

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1048 times

Post by CleggHall » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:34 am

Ashington - thanks, a lovely experience, John Angus was the most unassuming of top players and was unlucky that his path to more England caps was blocked by Jimmy Armfield though my view was that John was the better player. He sounds to be a contented person, after a top career retiring to his Northumberland roots, family and golf. The word legend is a misused term these days but John's Burnley record certainly earns that accolade.
This user liked this post: levraiclaret

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2001 times
Has Liked: 3331 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:59 am

Lovely castle at Warkworth.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:09 am

I remember witnessing JA scoring two goals away at Highbury when he was moved up to centre forward, must have been one of our forwards injured early sixties.