Anyone else thinking of NOT renewing next season?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1354 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Re: Anyone else thinking of NOT renewing next season?

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:29 am

I'll be renewing, but I certainly wouldn't judge someone who decided not to bother, because the football served up at home over the last year or so has been utter toss.

The way the club has been run hasn't been much better.

Those in charge need a big wake up call. Maybe fans voting with their feet will help do that.
These 5 users liked this post: Claretuk Vegas Claret Lord Beamish THEWELLERNUT70 alf_resco

Claretuk
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by Claretuk » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:32 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:I'll be renewing, but I certainly wouldn't judge someone who decided not to bother, because the football served up at home over the last year or so has been utter toss.

The way the club has been run hasn't been much better.

Those in charge need a big wake up call. Maybe fans voting with their feet will help do that.
John, please don't post common sense posts like this as it will upset the blinkerd natives on here!

Joe14
Been Liked: 252 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Joe14 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:42 am

Par for the course. Loyal fans renew as always plastic fans thinking of dropping off till be back in premier. :lol:

Comical when season still got weeks to go :roll:

CBT
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by CBT » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:48 am

jrgbfc wrote:Tbh I think I'd be more likely to renew in the Championship. Can anyone honestly say they'd be looking forward to watching another season like this?
So what's the point in playing a season in the championship then if you'd rather not have the outcome of winning it?

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:09 am

SGr wrote:Not renewing based on footballing reasons is not an option.

Financial, yes. Practical, yes. Burnley getting relegated? No chance.
"Footballing reasons" doesn't just mean "which division we're in".

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:23 am

thatdberight wrote:"Footballing reasons" doesn't just mean "which division we're in".
I know...

DCWat
Been Liked: 4139 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:26 am

My Daughter misbehaved last year. I’m her Dad no more until she behaves again.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2292 times
Has Liked: 2165 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:05 am

Leisure wrote:Would you have posted this if we'd drawn the game?
He’s close to the bone but not wrong

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:12 am

JohnMcGreal wrote: Those in charge need a big wake up call. Maybe fans voting with their feet will help do that.
To what end, should we ask them to be richer so they can prop you the debt of summer spending?
Or maybe ask them to asset strip us and be left for dead?

People unhappy with a very responsible board thinking of the long term future over appeasing fans every window who will only want more & more like spoiled children.
This user liked this post: Foshiznik

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:35 am

chipbutty wrote:Go and support Bastards then.
Why would I do that? I I support Burnley., I'm not some football fan that swaps teams or has 2 or 3 teams I support.
I'll stick to watching Burnley, but thanks for the offer.

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 213 times
Has Liked: 128 times

Post by KlyBfc » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:38 am

I’ve never considered not renewing.

I personally don’t consider Burnley as an entertainment product. I love football too (though the very elite level game winds me up) and so as long as I have the means to attend games I will.

It’s also time I spend with my old man that in the future I won’t get chance to. For that alone it’s worth its weight in gold because nothing else provides us with the common live, bond and rollercoaster of emotions that we share.
Hopefully my daughters or atleast one of the two will grow up and want to share some of this time with me too. If not I’ll be a wrinkly lonely old fool sat in my seat moaning every other week, but I’ll still be there because.....alongside all else...... I BLOOMING HATE SHOPPING
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:48 am

CBT wrote:So what's the point in playing a season in the championship then if you'd rather not have the outcome of winning it?
Well the Board clearly aren't willing to invest enough in the squad to allow us to compete at this level are they? Do you honestly find it enjoyable getting humped most weeks and simply aiming to scrape enough points to finish 17th?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:53 am

Its an interesting question. Going to watch Burnley has been such a big part of my life that it seems weird to think that I wouldn't go but it does take up a huge chunk of a day at the weekend and I guess you have to balance it. The feeling after yesterday wasn't very conducive to going, but the feeling v Spurs more than makes up for the low days.

I'm renewing, and I probably always will but the days I tried to avoid doing stuff so I didn't miss a Burnley match are long behind me.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:31 am

It is interesting in that the early bird scheme, this season at least, is trying to entice you to renew your season ticket before you can actually know for sure what league Burnley will be playing in next season. That has got to be something unique to football.

However, I would guess that, for those long term season ticket holders, the match day experience is such a part of their life that the idea of not renewing is not an option. And I understand that. You get the impression that for some it is their very reason for being.

I am first and very much foremost a Soul Music fan. Burnley and football come a very poor second. However I still get annoyed when we lose and I still try to get to a couple of games a season. For what it's worth I will be going to Bournemouth as it is just down the road from me, and my son, I am pleased to say, will be coming with me.

I haven't had a season ticket since 1971, sorry!!!!

morpheus2
Been Liked: 760 times
Has Liked: 1850 times

Post by morpheus2 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:57 am

I have done some really really bad things in my life - things I have deep regret for, things most of you cannot imagine, hurt so many people and wrecked lives.

As reparation for these past deeds I simply have to renew, it is my penance.

I also promise to give up the steak and pepper pies and Bovril which I find enjoyment in.

Murger
Been Liked: 1243 times
Has Liked: 845 times

Post by Murger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:00 am

I like how people call you a plastic if you dare criticise. Like it's anything to with them.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1864 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:02 am

The 3 of us have renewed along with an extra one with the nephew getting his first one

In fact thinking about it, our downturn in results coincided with this :shock:

Leisure
Been Liked: 3786 times
Has Liked: 12469 times

Post by Leisure » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:39 am

thatdberight wrote:And you!
I will do, watching and supporting my team!

Leisure
Been Liked: 3786 times
Has Liked: 12469 times

Post by Leisure » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:44 am

Corky wrote:It is interesting in that the early bird scheme, this season at least, is trying to entice you to renew your season ticket before you can actually know for sure what league Burnley will be playing in next season. That has got to be something unique to football.
The date for the Early Bird scheme has been the same for the past 10 years(?).

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:55 am

Your either a supporter or not. A true supporter will be there.
Last edited by Stayingup on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:03 am

I'll be there.

The football on offer isn't down to us being poor, the goal we scored yesterday was excellent football. It is a combination of factors, the biggest one being the quality of the opposition every week.

There is a limit to what you can do with the resources available, we have developed Gawthorpe and this is a legacy to last 25+ years..

Alternately we could have employed Alexis Sanchez for a few months...

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:09 am

Stayingup wrote:Your iether a supporter or not. A true supporter will be there.
You ultra, you!

brexit
Been Liked: 236 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:11 am

Renewing looking forward to competitive Championship football next year and the thrill of a promotion run with duffer in charge

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:01 pm

I got the feeling, after the Leicester game last season, that I’d seen the High Water Mark in my time supporting Burnley FC. As the rest of that season and then this one progressed, I think many of the staff and players at the Club did, too. I gave serious consideration to not renewing last season, but held out hope for progress. Sadly we have not seen it. Two utterly abysmal Transfer Windows, a half arsed Europa League campaign, another embarrassment in the League Cup, and games like yesterday have convinced me that, for whatever reason, real progress will not be made on the pitch. We just can’t afford to be a Top Flught club for anything other than a fleeting visit, and will be victims of our own success if we overachieve like last term.

I gave up in Football years ago, but maintained my interest in following BFC. Now that has waned to the point where I can’t justify my money and time with it anymore. I’m struggling to even see out this season at the moment. Yesterday’s performance just put the tin hat on that. Any Team around us should know that, in order to stifle us at home, just let us have the ball. We’re largely hopeless when we have too much possession. Even against 10 men, for 85(eighty five!) minutes. This is not a one off, either. Palace did it the other week.
We have stood still after last season, and that is unforgivable, really. The signs have been there for all to see.

I’m not renewing this time.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:01 pm

brexit wrote:Renewing looking forward to competitive Championship football next year and the thrill of a promotion run with duffer in charge
Oh contentious that.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:36 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:Even against 10 men, for 85(eighty five!) minutes.
There are two things that will be particularly beneficial in playing against 10 men; pace and skill. So, not us.

Murger
Been Liked: 1243 times
Has Liked: 845 times

Post by Murger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:00 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:I got the feeling, after the Leicester game last season, that I’d seen the High Water Mark in my time supporting Burnley FC. As the rest of that season and then this one progressed, I think many of the staff and players at the Club did, too. I gave serious consideration to not renewing last season, but held out hope for progress. Sadly we have not seen it. Two utterly abysmal Transfer Windows, a half arsed Europa League campaign, another embarrassment in the League Cup, and games like yesterday have convinced me that, for whatever reason, real progress will not be made on the pitch. We just can’t afford to be a Top Flught club for anything other than a fleeting visit, and will be victims of our own success if we overachieve like last term.

I gave up in Football years ago, but maintained my interest in following BFC. Now that has waned to the point where I can’t justify my money and time with it anymore. I’m struggling to even see out this season at the moment. Yesterday’s performance just put the tin hat on that. Any Team around us should know that, in order to stifle us at home, just let us have the ball. We’re largely hopeless when we have too much possession. Even against 10 men, for 85(eighty five!) minutes. This is not a one off, either. Palace did it the other week.
We have stood still after last season, and that is unforgivable, really. The signs have been there for all to see.

I’m not renewing this time.
Plastic ;-)

Flat Stanley
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by Flat Stanley » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:01 pm

Renewed again today like I do every season. Not enjoying the style of football though and have not for a while. I don't want Dyche out considering everything he has done for us. I just wish he would learn to adapt and was not so one dimensional and mind numbingly unimaginative.

I find myself bored at most games. I booed at full time yesterday for the first time for years. I also wish we would do better with transfers. The last 2 windows were pathetic and have not helped Dyche in the slightest although some of it it probably his fault.

Easy for people to say if you don't like it don't go and watch or vote with your feet. Football is not like that for a lot of people. This is my club and always will be through thick and thin.

Jambounchained
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Jambounchained » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:27 am

I’m still in two minds about whether to renew or not.

I’ve set £350 aside for it but may just pick my games throughout the season with it instead.

I’ve missed 5 games this season due to illness/social/work reasons so I might end up better off as well.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1640 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:47 am

Not wanting to lose excellent seats is my main reason that I will probably renew for one more year, but that really shouldn’t be the sole reason.

There is also a thing about compromising with the family - coming to the Turf every game necessitates missing the vast majority of away games so we can do other family stuff instead, attending just 10 home games a season could mean 5-10 away games too which can be a much better day out due to not having to drive.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4180 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:13 am

Vegas Claret wrote:some proper super fans on here

Also some who contribute nothing at all to the club apart from whinging.

I Know which I would rather have around me

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1168 times

Post by Falcon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:37 am

What this thread needs is more Burnley fans slating each other for how they feel.

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:40 am

Falcon wrote:What this thread needs is more Burnley fans slating each other for how they feel.
No it doesn’t, **** off.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:51 am

With the dross season ticket holders have been subjected to this season I think every single one of them should be given a complimentary season ticket for next season,come on Garlick do the right thing and reward your support.I read somewhere gate receipts are a very small portion of income so it must be affordable,it's not like we are taking money out of the transfer kitty to subsidise it is it?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3860 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:15 pm

What's the last date you can decide not to renew? If paying by DDs?

With the club just assuming you're going to renew I presume you would have to hand the letter in before the first DD comes out at the end of April?

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 722 times
Has Liked: 2025 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:17 pm

Some of you don't realise how lucky you are to be able to afford to go and also have the team you support basing themselves on your doorstep.

What I'd do to be in that position...

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:42 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:What's the last date you can decide not to renew? If paying by DDs?

With the club just assuming you're going to renew I presume you would have to hand the letter in before the first DD comes out at the end of April?
I think Friday 15th was the deadline. Certainly was on the letter I got.

alf_resco
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by alf_resco » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:47 pm

As a Burnley fan all my life from the age of 7 yrs and now an official state OAP, I've seen it all at BFC. I had my first season ticket in 1967. So I don't need any lectures on "how" I support my team. These last few years have(?) / could have been a golden era for the club and undoubtedly there have been some genuine highlights. However, even with the £millions we have been showered with, there has been NO progress. OK, Gawthorpe got a revamp after eons. The team is arguably poorer than 09/10. I certainly think it's poorer than even 14/15. The state of Turf Moor is generally poor (yes, I know there are worse) and there hasn't been serious investment in bricks and mortar for decades. The football for a long time now has been awful to watch and Dyche, Woan and team have much to answer for. Tactics, substitutions and style of play have most watchers wondering what, if any, plan there is. Successive transfer windows have been appalling, either for inaction or the wrong action. Where the blames lies for that exactly, who knows but letting Vokes go and getting Crouch is truly laughable; whoever sanctioned that deserves firing.
It's not that things haven't been worse, they certainly have and I was there; what is galling is that no-one at the club has appeared to grasp the opportunity we've had to take a true leap forward. Whether that's tight-fistedness , a small-town mentality or whatever, I've no idea - but that opportunity has been lost.
I'm pretty sure we'll be relegated in a few weeks and even if we're not, can anyone see any step-changes in the way the club operates?

So I'll still support BFC, I'll still follow it's progress or lack of, it'll be the first score I look out for. But having a three hour car journey to and fro TM, I won't be a ST holder. It's not worth the bother, hassle, expense and (usually) dour football and disappointment.
PS - It's obvious, before anyone else says it, I'm not a real supporter.
These 2 users liked this post: Steve1956 Flat Stanley

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2630 times
Has Liked: 6441 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:00 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:What's the last date you can decide not to renew? If paying by DDs?

thatdberight wrote:I think Friday 15th was the deadline. Certainly was on the letter I got.
I've just renewed mine today, and signed up for the Direct Debit (paid outright last year), I was told that we had until 31st March to sign up as I think thats in line with the Early Bird discount.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:02 pm

alf_resco wrote:As a Burnley fan all my life from the age of 7 yrs and now an official state OAP, I've seen it all at BFC. I had my first season ticket in 1967. So I don't need any lectures on "how" I support my team. These last few years have(?) / could have been a golden era for the club and undoubtedly there have been some genuine highlights. However, even with the £millions we have been showered with, there has been NO progress. OK, Gawthorpe got a revamp after eons. The team is arguably poorer than 09/10. I certainly think it's poorer than even 14/15. The state of Turf Moor is generally poor (yes, I know there are worse) and there hasn't been serious investment in bricks and mortar for decades. The football for a long time now has been awful to watch and Dyche, Woan and team have much to answer for. Tactics, substitutions and style of play have most watchers wondering what, if any, plan there is. Successive transfer windows have been appalling, either for inaction or the wrong action. Where the blames lies for that exactly, who knows but letting Vokes go and getting Crouch is truly laughable; whoever sanctioned that deserves firing.
It's not that things haven't been worse, they certainly have and I was there; what is galling is that no-one at the club has appeared to grasp the opportunity we've had to take a true leap forward. Whether that's tight-fistedness , a small-town mentality or whatever, I've no idea - but that opportunity has been lost.
I'm pretty sure we'll be relegated in a few weeks and even if we're not, can anyone see any step-changes in the way the club operates?

So I'll still support BFC, I'll still follow it's progress or lack of, it'll be the first score I look out for. But having a three hour car journey to and fro TM, I won't be a ST holder. It's not worth the bother, hassle, expense and (usually) dour football and disappointment.
PS - It's obvious, before anyone else says it, I'm not a real supporter.
What leap forward is it that we've failed to grasp?

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:28 pm

only a fool would not renew .

Three from our household going again!

claret2018
Been Liked: 809 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:37 pm

I'm not renewing regardless of division next season, just because over the last couple of years I've not been enjoying it as much as I used to. It feels like a real chore at the moment, and takes me an hour to get there and an hour to get home.

The amount of total bell ends at the game seems to have increased in recent years as well. Sometimes this season I wish I was watching it on tv instead of being a the game.

I will always be a Burnley fan, but I've never understood the attitude that you don't have any choice in whether you go to games or not, like some kind of weird cult. Each to their own though!

UTC
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Lord Beamish

Andingle
Been Liked: 274 times
Has Liked: 351 times

Post by Andingle » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:46 pm

Don't enjoy the Football we play and been a frustrating season but things can change very quickly in Football, I'll be renewing

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:10 pm

claret2018 wrote: I will always be a Burnley fan, but I've never understood the attitude that you don't have any choice in whether you go to games or not, like some kind of weird cult. Each to their own though!

UTC
Same here, but there are people who are more mad for it than I am. Clearly. I didn't know it was a competition but, if it is, they win. They are more fanatical than I am. It seems important to them not only to be more fanatical but for it to be acknowledged.

As I said, it's far from just about what's on offer from Burnley at the minute, but it says something that I am considering going to another club (which would also meet my other considerations). I'd never want them to win like I want Burnley to win but it's not me that changed the relationship so I'm a customer. I don't like Tesco own-brand reduced sugar beans as much as I like Heinz. But, taking everything into account, that's what I eat. Football has been made into a consumer choice, so the same sort of choice looms.

snapcrackleandpop
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:27 pm

I’ve renewed and will do even if drop right to league 2, does that make me a super fan (hate that terminology) or just an idiot? Going of the second half of last season an the whole of this one I would say the latter. The football is dogsh@t, the same boll**cks that comes out of Dyches mouth every week is tiresome. The smalltime club and poor us attitude does us no favours at all, if we go down so be it but let’s go down fighting. Players need dropping to give them a much needed kick in the nuts and if they don’t get their places back - tough.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:33 pm

snapcrackleandpop wrote:I’ve renewed and will do even if drop right to league 2, does that make me a super fan (hate that terminology) or just an idiot?
Neither. It makes you somebody doing what they want. I hope you enjoy it and have a great season even though I won't be there.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5642 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:35 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Also some who contribute nothing at all to the club apart from whinging.

I Know which I would rather have around me
how's that then ?

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:15 pm

Here we go again. Just makes me wonder how many real Burnley fans there are out there.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3860 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:22 pm

ontario claret wrote:Here we go again. Just makes me wonder how many real Burnley fans there are out there.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5642 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:30 pm

I had a season ticket from 1983 until 2008, if I still lived in the UK I would renew despite not enjoying our style of play. I wouldn't care what division we are in either