Anyone else thinking of NOT renewing next season?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretdj
Been Liked: 284 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Re: Anyone else thinking of NOT renewing next season?

Post by claretdj » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:43 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:I had a season ticket from 1983 until 2008, if I still lived in the UK I would renew despite not enjoying our style of play. I wouldn't care what division we are in either
Well you missed the best style of football we have played Vegas! 2009 under Coyle.. :lol:

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:49 pm

claretdj wrote:Well you missed the best style of football we have played Vegas! 2009 under Coyle.. :lol:
yep I'm aware !! :lol:

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:20 pm

It's mad to think where we are as a club, being our first European competition for decades and even maintaining our premier league status is a tiny miracle. I'm not denigrating anyone's decision to not renew, it's just a weird situation whereby fans who not so long ago were watching us play Maidstone have in some way given up hope. I understand it to a degree, watching us at times is a chore and not enjoyable at all. The simple fact is we're always up against it, and Sean Dyche has (so far) found a way to make us competitive at the top level. It's a difficult balance, and when you're winning it's fine but in lieu of that you have to entertain. I don't think Sean Dyche believes we have the resources to do both, and he might well be right. More broadly I agree with a previous poster who said the game itself has lost its charm a bit. The experience of a matchday is really benign and beige, the atmosphere is horrific, and it's an expensive hobby these days.

One thing remains a constant however, fans like it or not are fickle. With respect to the op this thread wouldn't have appeared just 3 weeks ago, and if we win our next two games with good performances there's no doubt the atmosphere on here will be totally different. Such is the rollercoaster!
These 4 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Dark Cloud simonclaret Carnsmerry12

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:29 pm

We are a Jekyll and Hyde team

We can and do play it on the floor and get good results when we play this way

Then we play Neanderthal kick it up in the air stuff which is awful

(Who is responsible for such contrasting styles??)

If we played like Chelsea or Everton away last year all the time there would be full houses every week no matter if in championship or premier.

Hilariously we need to find the next ‘Owen Coyle’ who can get results while playing attractive football, maybe the solution is already at the club and we need to promote from within. Something the board need to sort out in the coming months.

Downhamclaret
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by Downhamclaret » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:44 pm

Renewed mime, but that early bird price should start in may, its not like the club needs the money in for transfers

Burnleybabe
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 70 times

Post by Burnleybabe » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:41 pm

No renewed mine, even though for the last few years through Illness, both mentally and physically I cant make a lot of games.
I am still a Burnley supporter and have been for over 50 years and will continue to be.
So I will renew until the cows come home even if I cannot attend the games, the club will still get my support.
I am a claret and cant change that, nor do I want to.
These 4 users liked this post: boatshed bill Leisure Bosscat Carnsmerry12

Sheedyclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by Sheedyclaret » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:57 pm

I will be there regardless of division actually wouldn't mind abit of championship footy..its a great league ..bar the revenues difference to the prem..

Greeny
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Greeny » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:41 pm

Started watching the Clarets with my Dad + my Uncle 50 years ago. Have been a season ticket holder for many years. Despite the stick he receives on here for the way he departed, for many of us, we were spoiled by the football OC’s team produced for that magic period. SD has done a great job getting us back in the Prenier League but we are a functional team rather than flair. Which can get results but is not great on the eye. Compounded by SD’s total lack of anything other than Plan A. The thought of paying circa £900 again for our 2 tickets is lingering long in the mind, not helped by numerous games at Turf Moor this season where the post match view was “we would have been better staying in the pub”.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 773 times
Has Liked: 1431 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:45 pm

All signed up again. Not sure how you could stop being a fan due to being in another league.

On another point. I’d like all of the posters who keep calling out for +30k stadium to be signed up to a 10 year season ticket.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:40 pm

Burnleyareback2 wrote:All signed up again. Not sure how you could stop being a fan due to being in another league.
You're in good company then. I don't think I've seen any posters saying it's because of a potential relegation.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:58 pm

Premier is great. In the Championship, we win!
Win-win!

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:50 am

IanMcL wrote:Premier is great. In the Championship, we win!
Win-win!
this, I'd rather we stay up though as it means I can watch every game !

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1170 times

Post by Falcon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:57 am

Stoke fans wanted their side to play 'attractive football' and now they're languishing in the 2nd tier. Same with Villa. I'll stick with being competitive.
These 2 users liked this post: IanMcL simonclaret

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:21 am

After reading 4 pages of this I’m seriously worried about the delusions of some of our so called ‘supporters’

Oh and as soon as you start talking about ‘the product on show’ you are a customer, not a fan, and definitely not a supporter.

This premier league lark isn’t meant to be easy you know.

Just going to reel off a few clubs who, according to this thread we should be comfortably beating. All have multi multi millionaire owners

Wolves
Leicester
Bournemouth
Watford
Cardiff
Everton
West Ham
Brighton
Fulham

So the task is to play attractive football on pretty much the lowest wage bill, against teams who regularly pay 50-100k a week to players.

I’m sure there are plenty of managers who can take on that challenge.....
These 3 users liked this post: IanMcL Dark Cloud Leisure

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:33 am

Ric_C wrote:Oh and as soon as you start talking about ‘the product on show’ you are a customer, not a fan, and definitely not a supporter.
That wasn't our decision and if you think the club sees us differently, I'd say you're fooling yourself.

You're another to whom it seems important to be recognised as "more of a fan" than other people. Duly recognised. Well done.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:39 am

Ric_C wrote:After reading 4 pages of this I’m seriously worried about the delusions of some of our so called ‘supporters’

Oh and as soon as you start talking about ‘the product on show’ you are a customer, not a fan, and definitely not a supporter.

Just going to reel off a few clubs who, according to this thread we should be comfortably beating. All have multi multi millionaire owners

Wolves
Leicester
Bournemouth
Watford
Cardiff
Everton
West Ham
Brighton
Fulham

So the task is to play attractive football on pretty much the lowest wage bill, against teams who regularly pay 50-100k a week to players.

But when you have £30m of talent not getting a look in and shite buys like Walters, Juke, Crouch, Lennon, Wells, Hart it seriously hampers you even more.

Now you can’t tell me there are not far better players than those that’ll cost far less and far far younger.

Despite 7th last year have we really moved on from where we were in our first season back in the PL? No.

Murger
Been Liked: 1243 times
Has Liked: 845 times

Post by Murger » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:48 am

I'm still caught in 2 minds. Watching Championship football isn't the issue for me. It's the entertainment value that's got me. It's such a chore to watch us.
This user liked this post: buzzclarets79

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:34 am

Murger wrote:I'm still caught in 2 minds. Watching Championship football isn't the issue for me. It's the entertainment value that's got me. It's such a chore to watch us.
Well try Accy Stanley. Only 5 miles away and probably a cheaper option though most of their home games are re-arranged and at night because they don't have a pitch that can cope with an inch or two of rain.

Or Ewood. 15 minutes down the M65. Playing awful football but scoring goals and won't be relegated.

Huddersfield perhaps? They will score goals next season and aren't a million miles from Burnley.

Or Bradford offer a really cheap deal?

I'm caught in one mind.
This user liked this post: simonclaret

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:41 am

This 30m on the bench is becoming the new buzz word on here to beat the club with.

Good job we didn't spend more in January as that could have seen us with 50m on the bench. We will always have subs on the bench that cost money just like every other club in the division. Most weeks our bench will be the cheapest too.
This user liked this post: Leisure

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3339 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:50 am

I never ever find it a chore to watch us if we win (or get a draw against the odds or a big team). Yep, it's crap when we lose and even crapper if we play poorly and lose, but you can't experience the highs without the lows in pretty much anything in life and the most bored people in football must be the die hard City fans who absolutely KNOW they're going to win big every week and that takes away the enjoyment too.

Murger

Post by Murger » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:54 am

tybfc wrote:Well try Accy Stanley. Only 5 miles away and probably a cheaper option though most of their home games are re-arranged and at night because they don't have a pitch that can cope with an inch or two of rain.

Or Ewood. 15 minutes down the M65. Playing awful football but scoring goals and won't be relegated.

Huddersfield perhaps? They will score goals next season and aren't a million miles from Burnley.

Or Bradford offer a really cheap deal?

I'm caught in one mind.
Good for you. I'm a Burnley fan, not an Accy Stanley or Venkys fan.

tybfc

Post by tybfc » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:08 am

Murger wrote:Good for you. I'm a Burnley fan, not an Accy Stanley or Venkys fan.
So renew your season ticket.

Murger

Post by Murger » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:23 am

tybfc wrote:So renew your season ticket.
You shouldn't feel the need to renew out of loyalty. If you don't get any enjoyment out of what you're paying for, then why should you?
I watched us long before we got the Prem under Coyle, so I'm not a plastic either.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:39 am

Way I feel at the moment, not remotely bothered but I know I'll be keen again in August.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:39 am

Ric_C wrote:After reading 4 pages of this I’m seriously worried about the delusions of some of our so called ‘supporters’

Wolves
Leicester
Bournemouth
Watford
Cardiff
Everton
West Ham
Brighton
Fulham

If you think the club see us as anything other than customers to be milked then you're very naive.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:42 am

I imagine the club see some as some of the most whiniest fans in football they would be right too.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:46 am

Our supporters are just saying the same things every supporter up and down the country would be saying when in the same position.

I remember many Rovers fans saying that crowds would drop off after a few seasons in the Prem, people getting bored etc.

It's exactly the same at every other club when in the same place.
These 3 users liked this post: thatdberight Vegas Claret elwaclaret

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:33 pm

"The experience of a matchday is really benign and beige, the atmosphere is horrific, and it's an expensive hobby these days."

I find this a bizarre comment. 'Horrific' ? Surely more of an atmosphere with a near full Turf, than when we were getting 10-12000 in the Championship (although I agree that smaller crowds perhaps create a more positive atmosphere by being more loyal to the cause, by definition of turning up at a lower level of football). Three weeks ago we enjoyed what many described as the best day at the Turf ever, and that for a televised lunchtime match.

Expensive? - price freeze for how many years running now? - £30 away tickets, cheaper than when we were in the Championship, and less games in total - so definitely not more expensive. I love the fact that my two sons can attend with me for £50 per season.

Fair play if you decide to do something else more productive with your time than supporting Burnley / watching football, in some ways I appreciate your self-discipline and I'm sure my wife would be delighted if I started to 'choose' my games. I think its never been easier to stop going as all the matches are streamed at home or screened live in the pub these days.

I understand people find the whole process of watching Burnley stressful and frustrating. Some can't take it for what it is, and are constantly consumed with how we should be playing better, doing better things off the pitch, spending more money etc. The 'noise' around it is definitely magnified being in the Prem, and maybe playing at a lower level does suit of psyche as a club better. After all, our natural environment is probably that of a mid-table Championship team. Expectations have risen due to our recent success and frankly we have fallen short of those standards this season. That's a weird basis to 'throw the towel in' after all these years of over-achievement, but if you are really not enjoying this halcyon period, then its definitely worth looking at other pursuits.

I still think our 4th division title season was my favourite watching Burnley as it happens, but the journey the club has given me down the years outstrips that of pretty much all of my friends supporting other clubs, which is why I have attended more live football matches than all of my friends of a similar age. Its a personal thing but I find the process of NOT being in attendance far more daunting than being there.

Renewing has never been easier, you have to do nothing, so putting a stop to it all takes some consideration and I'm sure no one will do it lightly. Respect either way I say.
These 2 users liked this post: thatdberight Sausage

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:46 pm

Cubanclaret wrote:Respect either way I say.
Excellent post, with a parting shot that seems strangely absent in some posts.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3787 times
Has Liked: 12479 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:10 pm

jrgbfc wrote:If you think the club see us as anything other than customers to be milked then you're very naive.
Any actual evidence of this 'milking'?

PS - How does our club treat our fans differently/worse to how other clubs treat their fans?

claretdj

Post by claretdj » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:53 pm

Leisure wrote:Any actual evidence of this 'milking'?

PS - How does our club treat our fans differently/worse to how other clubs treat their fans?
When was the last time barring Blackburn, that our club gave us FREE away travel when purchasing an away ticket leisure? You should know! :lol: maybe a free program,scarf,pie,pint,tee shirt etc.. nah none of the above by bfc which I would call milking it's fans. What did Leicester leave for their fans @ the ground on Saturday? Would bfc EVER do the same for our travelling support? Never!

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:15 pm

Maybe finishing 7th last season was a bit of a curse? I suspect we all know deep down that is likely as good as it's ever going to get for us. I know I'm struggling to get excited by the prospect of simply battling to finish 17th every year, I can't be the only one looking at how our away followings have declined this year.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:38 pm

claretdj wrote:When was the last time barring Blackburn, that our club gave us FREE away travel when purchasing an away ticket leisure? You should know! :lol: maybe a free program,scarf,pie,pint,tee shirt etc.. nah none of the above by bfc which I would call milking it's fans. What did Leicester leave for their fans @ the ground on Saturday? Would bfc EVER do the same for our travelling support? Never!
None of those examples mean that the club are 'milking' the fans. How about no increase in season tickets for many years! Convenient to overlook that!

PS - No idea about Leicester. But I do remember our club handing out free hats at Spurs a few Christmases ago!
This user liked this post: EK Claret

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:51 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Maybe finishing 7th last season was a bit of a curse? I suspect we all know deep down that is likely as good as it's ever going to get for us. I know I'm struggling to get excited by the prospect of simply battling to finish 17th every year, I can't be the only one looking at how our away followings have declined this year.

I know it is almost like we don't take as many away during a poor season compared to a good one. Strange how the people asking for the loyalty points to be re set have stopped asking too.

kilmalley
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by kilmalley » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:08 pm

The answer requested (from me) is NO, as renewal for next season was paid for as soon as I was aware and before reading all the posts on this thread. I am also hoping I can RENEW my reservation for a seat on the Accy Clarets coach for every game next season, wherever that takes me.

J UTC aka Harry Kane.
BFC inbred (he's on of our own) since 1959.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:14 pm

claretdj wrote:When was the last time barring Blackburn, that our club gave us FREE away travel when purchasing an away ticket leisure? You should know! :lol: maybe a free program,scarf,pie,pint,tee shirt etc.. nah none of the above by bfc which I would call milking it's fans. What did Leicester leave for their fans @ the ground on Saturday? Would bfc EVER do the same for our travelling support? Never!
You mean each fan receiving a scarf that probably cost less than a quid to make!

Likewise, no doubt if Arsenal gave away free coach travel some on here would ask why we don't do the same, despite the fact that they fleece some of their own fans for upwards of a grand in season ticket prices.

The club can keep their gimmicks if it means I pay less for my season ticket than I would at many other clubs!
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure elwaclaret

Sausage
Been Liked: 638 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:20 pm

How about the thousands of free season tickets the club gave away for the 2009/10 season? I'm pretty sure no club has done that before or since.

claretdj

Post by claretdj » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:39 pm

Sausage wrote:How about the thousands of free season tickets the club gave away for the 2009/10 season? I'm pretty sure no club has done that before or since.
10 years ago, is that how far back we have to go! :lol: n it's not about the cost of a £1 scarf it's about the gesture of the club & ours gives zilch back to its paying fans in any way of a gesture of faith.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:41 pm

claretdj wrote:10 years ago, is that how far back we have to go! :lol: n it's not about the cost of a £1 scarf it's about the gesture of the club & ours gives zilch back to its paying fans in any way of a gesture of faith.

Be honest if the club said free scarf you would want a hat as well, if they said free drink you would want a pie as well. Moaning now that the club aren't giving you something for free when you go on a game is about as begging as it gets.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:43 pm

claretdj wrote:10 years ago, is that how far back we have to go! :lol: n it's not about the cost of a £1 scarf it's about the gesture of the club & ours gives zilch back to its paying fans in any way of a gesture of faith.
Rubbish! Frozen season tickets not worth anything?

PS- You still haven't been able to provide any examples of how the club are 'milking' the fans!

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:45 pm

So you think receiving a cheap piece of rubbish would make you feel more valued?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2071 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:47 pm

I don’t think I've heard anyone wanting free stuff of the club in real life or about the prices.

The club are way behind on facilities but that's another issue.

The argument about 80m not being enough to play good football and survive in the prem is absolute ********. Ajax have 28m for the entire club, including academy. They would survive in the premier league after tubbing Real Madrid and getting to the Europa league final etc..

They play good stuff.

tybfc

Post by tybfc » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:58 pm

Stop watching us then. Simple as. And stop posting on here and moaning. Simple as.

Accy Stanley need fans.

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:36 pm

I will be renewing my ST again whether Premier League or Championship, I’ve been watching them too long to knock it on the head now.. we’re still in the PL and I don’t think we are going down... and I’ve got a seat near the half-way line in the JHU.

It’s not just about the match anyway. It’s fresh air and plenty of walking and I go on with three brothers, two nephews, other family members and I see plenty of friends here and there. A few pubs before and after the match, then a curry, then a taxi, and it’s been a full day, even better if we win. The match provides the excuse for all the rest of it. I’m not complaining about the football because in the years I’ve been going on the Turf, I’ve seen all sorts of football.
We will stay up, in the wealthiest league in the world,...we have improved the club in several ways since 2009, we have a very able manager and a pretty decent squad in the circumstances ( we need to offload 5/6 and then strengthen..) All in all it’s a very decent situation for a club like us to be in ( especially when you think of all the bigger £££££ clubs currently below us) and I still find the round trip ( nearly) always worthwhile.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:15 pm

Do you travel from London for every home match Hampstead?

EK Claret
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by EK Claret » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:58 pm

Leisure wrote:None of those examples mean that the club are 'milking' the fans. How about no increase in season tickets for many years! Convenient to overlook that!

PS - No idea about Leicester. But I do remember our club handing out free hats at Spurs a few Christmases ago!
Remember that well still got mine! That was the day Ashley hit a screamer!

EK Claret
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by EK Claret » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:59 pm

Yes i will be renewing, i travel from East Kilbride
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:32 pm

This is Burnley’s Gary megson/ tony pulis / Sam Allardyce moment. From afar I can do little but marvel at the progress the club has made, the results they have for and the league they are playing in. If I was watching it week in week out, I’m not sure I’d be so pleased. But, most of these clubs where fans get bored of the football and stability end up nose diving. That’s the reality facing the club if they change the manager I’m afraid. The club is still way higher than it has a right to be.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Spijed

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:03 pm

Cubanclaret wrote:Do you travel from London for every home match Hampstead?
Hello there.

I travel from St Albans via Watford Junction...it's always on the train these days..usually have a natter somewhere with some fans from other clubs.

I got to most home matches last season, definitely missed a couple.

I have missed a few lately, my son is doing A levels very soon and I help him at weekends with his studies...unfortunately I missed the Tottenham win.

If I duck, my ticket always gets used.

tybfc

Post by tybfc » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:44 pm

dandeclaret wrote:This is Burnley’s Gary megson/ tony pulis / Sam Allardyce moment. From afar I can do little but marvel at the progress the club has made, the results they have for and the league they are playing in. If I was watching it week in week out, I’m not sure I’d be so pleased. But, most of these clubs where fans get bored of the football and stability end up nose diving. That’s the reality facing the club if they change the manager I’m afraid. The club is still way higher than it has a right to be.
Dan - nail on the head. It doesn't seem two minutes since we met on dreary Saturday and Sunday mornings scouting for kids on footy games around the north west to entice them to the Turf.

But as you say the Club has moved on so far it is unimaginable.

Those who complain I just cannot understand.
This user liked this post: dandeclaret