Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

Post by Blackrod » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:31 am

Has anybody else seen this on Netflix ? Stories that don’t stack up, blood traces in the hire car and appartment, returning to the UK when under suspicion and a rich benefactor funding a high powered lawyer and along with trying to discredit police.... has it changed anyone’s view on this ?

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Re: Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

Post by Lord Beamish » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:32 am

If you’ve seen this programme you’ve spent more time watching Madeliene than her parents did.
Last edited by Lord Beamish on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 7 users liked this post: Funkydrummer Leepick21 AndyClaret Narwhalchomper Vegas Claret Corky Spike

claretdj
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by claretdj » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:35 am

Lord Beamish wrote:If you’ve seen this programme you’ve spent more time watching Madeliene than he parents did.
Ouch! A bit distasteful that.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2179 times

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:35 am

I predict that this thread will bring all the holier than thou types out of the woodwork. :(

Blackrod

Post by Blackrod » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:44 am

They weren’t just left for the one night, twins that were even younger, they couldn’t see all around the apartment and suggestions they were overly sedated. I can’t imagine any parent with intelligence ( which they are) doing that.
This user liked this post: mkmel

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:46 am

5ACDBBA6-DC3F-47A0-B3F7-D2D116B81CCC.jpeg
5ACDBBA6-DC3F-47A0-B3F7-D2D116B81CCC.jpeg (53.33 KiB) Viewed 6659 times
This user liked this post: AndyClaret

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:46 am

Started watching it.

Still astonished that any parents would place their children in that situation.

One of the reporters who was being interviewed said he’d done similar with his kids on a previous holiday as well.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:50 am

Someone posted a link to a website on the last Madelaine thread on here. It contained some crazy theories.

bfcmatt
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by bfcmatt » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:02 am

Blackrod wrote:Has anybody else seen this on Netflix ? Stories that don’t stack up, blood traces in the hire car and appartment, returning to the UK when under suspicion and a rich benefactor funding a high powered lawyer and along with trying to discredit police.... has it changed anyone’s view on this ?
Have you watched it all?
The complete results of the DNA profile would suggest that it was highly unlikely that it was her blood. The hire car evidence was also said to be so flimsy. the profile could be traced back to most of the population it was so minimal.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:03 am

claretdj wrote:Ouch! A bit distasteful that.
Too soon?

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:04 am

Plenty of wild theories floating around.

The indisputable fact is the parents were incredibly negligent. Kids deserve better than that.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:28 am

The last time this thread appeared on here someone accused Gordon Brown of personally being involved in the cover up.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

CaptainKirk
Been Liked: 385 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by CaptainKirk » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:39 pm

Beamish and Beehead:
Hang your heads in shame.
This user liked this post: Bertiebeehead

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:53 pm

The hire car was hired 4 days after she disappeared. Is is likely that they dug up her body from its untraceable hiding place so they could move it to another untraceable hiding place?

Like all conspiracy theories, if you want to say that the official story was a lie, then you need to come up with something remotely likely in its place. The idea that one of them found her dead, explained to the other spouse, did all possible to revive her, declared her dead beyond hope, and found somewhere within walking distance to hide the body where it can never be found, and all within one hour? It's not a remotely likely alternative.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret ewanrob

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Gordon Brown!

jeez

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:59 pm

I think we will all go to our graves not being 100% what happened to her, just 1 of them things that will never be solved, unfortunately.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Attracts all the cranks this one, a favourite for conspiracy weirdos.

They were fairly cold, crappy parents. Someone abducted and almost certainly killed their poor girl. The end.

Not sure you can stretch that into a Netflix mini series though.
This user liked this post: Damo

bfcmatt
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by bfcmatt » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:11 pm

dsr wrote:The hire car was hired 4 days after she disappeared. Is is likely that they dug up her body from its untraceable hiding place so they could move it to another untraceable hiding place?

Like all conspiracy theories, if you want to say that the official story was a lie, then you need to come up with something remotely likely in its place. The idea that one of them found her dead, explained to the other spouse, did all possible to revive her, declared her dead beyond hope, and found somewhere within walking distance to hide the body where it can never be found, and all within one hour? It's not a remotely likely alternative.
It says in the program that the car was hired 25 days after she disappeared.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:16 pm

Bertiebeehead wrote:
5ACDBBA6-DC3F-47A0-B3F7-D2D116B81CCC.jpeg
Oh FFS I shouldn't be laughing but that really is truly funny. If there was a hell I'd be on my way right now.
This user liked this post: CleggHall

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:05 pm

Would a lie detector test help their cause..? I can't remember them ever having taken one..

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:18 pm

The reason why this case grates many is the amount of money, time and resources that have been spent on this missing child compared to other missing children.
Also the fact that the media have treated them differently due to their backgrounds as it has been said if a couple from a working class background had gone out on the lash leaving their children in an unlocked room and their child had gone missing they would have been “slaughtered” by the press.
I am not into conspiracy theories but the fact remains that if they had not been so selfish and stayed with their children that little girl would be alive now.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:27 pm

The parents are guilty as sin.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:30 pm

Nob

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:40 pm

Right_winger wrote:The parents are guilty as sin.
Definitely culpable, you just don’t leave your children anywhere, it’s the golden rule in all good parenting.
This user liked this post: Spike

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:14 pm

Right_winger wrote:The parents are guilty as sin.
Guilty of what? They've been accused of a lot of things, from negligence (difficult to disagree) to manslaughter and perverting the course of justice to trafficking their own daughter.

Be careful of what you accuse them of, they can afford very expensive lawyers.

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:19 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:Definitely culpable, you just don’t leave your children anywhere, it’s the golden rule in all good parenting.
Spot on Jakub..
This user liked this post: Spike

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:22 pm

Didn't need to watch, a needless rehash of an old tragedy with nothing new to offer.

1/5 stars

Netflix’s long-awaited documentary on the McCann case offered no new facts, no new insight – it didn’t even have a point of view

Rumours of difficulties with Netflix’s documentary about the Madeleine McCann case have abounded almost from the moment it was commissioned. The McCanns themselves refused to take part and asked everyone around them not to either. At one point, it was said that it was going to be cut from an eight-part series to an hour-long one-off. Then it was going to be pulled altogether. Certainly no previews were made available, and the makers did not do the usual round of pre-show publicity interviews in the press, which is never a sign of great confidence in the product.

But in the end, The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann landed as a full eight-part series. Was it worth the wait? Did it confound the rumours and the doubters? No and no, not by any conceivable metric.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... al-failure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:14 pm

Leave your kids unattended in America and you are in big trouble. What is the law in the UK ?

JR1882
Been Liked: 161 times

Post by JR1882 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:49 pm

Things that have stood out for me so far...(without entering into any conspiracy theories and accepting you shouldn't leave your kids alone in a foreign country)

Their version of events - a timeline of checks on the kids that would have meant leaving the table every 5 mins that Then was altered.

Kate saying the window was open and the shutters open yet when the police arrived they had been closed?

Kate saying she looked under the bed for Maddie when the mattress went all the way to the floor and there was no space under the bed.

I cannot believe, that Gerry walked past the unlocked patio door and all the way round to the front door which was locked....just wouldn't happen.

The party member who witnessed the mad carrying a sleeping child (for 5 seconds in the dark) deciding months later that she recognised many details she didn't before.

THE DOGS.....whilst they prove nothing legally, they leave massively unanswered questions. A dog specifically highly trained to trace the scent emitted by a dead body identifies it in their apartment. It the identifies it on Maddys toy when it's been moved to another villa. And it identifies it on one of her t shirts but nothing else belonging to anyone else. Now whilst that is not proof of anything specific, it's a massive unanswered question.

We will never know the truth about the poor girl, but what's clear is the parents have been, at worst ultimately responsible and, certainly at least dodgy as f**k.

The only thing in kates favour is, if she knew something had happened to Maddie, would she have let that other bloke go and check on her before she did? I don't think she would have. Unless she knew he was also f**king useless and he wouldn't even bother looking into the room.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:54 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Started watching it.

Still astonished that any parents would place their children in that situation.

One of the reporters who was being interviewed said he’d done similar with his kids on a previous holiday as well.
I remember umming and ahh'ing outside a shop I was parked 5 feet away from whether I should get my son out of the car or not... I spent 10 mins getting him out and 10 mins getting him back in for a 30 second excursion. How it would ever enter ANYBODIES mind to leave their toddlers alone like that is beyond me.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:22 pm

I've never had children, but I've been a child. Obviously there are hard and fast unwritten rules about where a child can be left alone nowadays, and obviously they are wildly different from what they used to be.

So what are they? For example:
1. Is it OK for a child aged 4 to have its own bedroom at home?
2. What about at Grandma's?
3. Is it OK to have a babysitter? How old should the babysitter be?
4. Is it OK for a 4 year old to walk to school alone?
5. or a 6 year old to go to the Library alone?

And for the answers that are No (porbably all of them, nowadays) what ages should they be able to do those things?

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:30 pm

dsr wrote:I've never had children, but I've been a child. Obviously there are hard and fast unwritten rules about where a child can be left alone nowadays, and obviously they are wildly different from what they used to be.

1. Is it OK for a child aged 4 to have its own bedroom at home?
3. Is it OK to have a babysitter? How old should the babysitter be?
4. Is it OK for a 4 year old to walk to school alone?
5. or a 6 year old to go to the Library alone?

And for the answers that are No (porbably all of them, nowadays) what ages should they be able to do those things?

I’m puzzled as to why you think they all may be no, especially 1,2&3

Burnleybabe
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 70 times

Post by Burnleybabe » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:54 pm

Once my children were asleep that is what they were until morning.
We had a caravan in the Lakes for years and left them without any issues, even though we were only a few Vans away.
I worked for various Hotels over the years doing child watch, at special occasions and can say most of other staff missed rooms.
IMO this could have happened to anyone, and in the "OLD DAYS" leaving children was done as the norm.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:57 pm

FCBurnley wrote:Leave your kids unattended in America and you are in big trouble. What is the law in the UK ?
Same here. You would be in trouble if you went out for a meal while leaving very young children in your home. Even if the pub/restaurant was only across the road. The police would be involved and so would the social services.

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:04 pm

dsr wrote:I've never had children, but I've been a child. Obviously there are hard and fast unwritten rules about where a child can be left alone nowadays, and obviously they are wildly different from what they used to be.

No, because they are returned full of sugar.

Seriously, we left ours alone when they were little. But only after making sure:

1 - the room was secure.
2 - the monitor which we had was tested, to make sure it worked at a distance further than the distance we were away.
3 - we were in a place where the only way to and from the room was past us.
4 - it was quiet.
5 - we could get to the room quickly in an emergency.
6 - one of us didn't drink.

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:36 pm

Burnleybabe wrote:Once my children were asleep that is what they were until morning.
We had a caravan in the Lakes for years and left them without any issues, even though we were only a few Vans away.
I worked for various Hotels over the years doing child watch, at special occasions and can say most of other staff missed rooms.
IMO this could have happened to anyone, and in the "OLD DAYS" leaving children was done as the norm.

"in the "OLD DAYS" leaving children was done as the norm."

No it wasn't the norm.. We never left our children alone on their own and neither did our friends,we either stopped in wih them or took them with us..
These 2 users liked this post: mkmel tybfc

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

Post by mkmel » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:59 pm

One thing that is certain is that they are disgusting parents

And why was not the same amount of time and money spent on that' ittle boy (Ben Needham)? Who went missing in Kos?

Hmmmm........Ben Needham single parent

Madeleine McCann. Two Doctors

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:30 pm

Never left my kids alone but plenty of parents have.
“Baby crying in shally no 5”.....Pontins, Butlins and i’m sure many other holiday places.

Not for one minute saying what the McCann’s did was right - clearly it wasn’t. But what happened to them could have easily happened to hundreds of parents.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:36 pm

This is the cranks cranksville , there’s a few sites out there where the tin foil hat theories truly truly beggar belief , this lot make the moon landings lot sane
For what it’s worth the tabloids gave the McCans a terrible time “ we’ve found your child’s blood did you kill her “anyone ?

Blackrod

Post by Blackrod » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:06 pm

JR1882 wrote:Things that have stood out for me so far...(without entering into any conspiracy theories and accepting you shouldn't leave your kids alone in a foreign country)

Their version of events - a timeline of checks on the kids that would have meant leaving the table every 5 mins that Then was altered.

Kate saying the window was open and the shutters open yet when the police arrived they had been closed?

Kate saying she looked under the bed for Maddie when the mattress went all the way to the floor and there was no space under the bed.

I cannot believe, that Gerry walked past the unlocked patio door and all the way round to the front door which was locked....just wouldn't happen.

The party member who witnessed the mad carrying a sleeping child (for 5 seconds in the dark) deciding months later that she recognised many details she didn't before.

THE DOGS.....whilst they prove nothing legally, they leave massively unanswered questions. A dog specifically highly trained to trace the scent emitted by a dead body identifies it in their apartment. It the identifies it on Maddys toy when it's been moved to another villa. And it identifies it on one of her t shirts but nothing else belonging to anyone else. Now whilst that is not proof of anything specific, it's a massive unanswered question.

We will never know the truth about the poor girl, but what's clear is the parents have been, at worst ultimately responsible and, certainly at least dodgy as f**k.

The only thing in kates favour is, if she knew something had happened to Maddie, would she have let that other bloke go and check on her before she did? I don't think she would have. Unless she knew he was also f**king useless and he wouldn't even bother looking into the room.
The artist aspect you describe was farcical and a fabrication at a later date.

The dogs also picked out that car from a number of parked cars.

They left rapidly when they were named as suspects. The case shifted via the media and PR once the rich benefactor and teenage son started playing Taggart IMO. This deflected a lot of negative attention.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:13 pm

Disgusting pair of parents,professionals as well,I don't know how they have the cheek to show their faces in public.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:41 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Disgusting pair of parents,professionals as well,I don't know how they have the cheek to show their faces in public.
Why’s that then ?
They lost their daughter - yes they were negligent but they have paid the worst possible price.
What’s being professionals got to do with it ? Lots of parents have done this - and I bet plenty still do. Do any of them get persecuted or prosecuted ? No - because they have been lucky enough to not get their children abducted....because irrespective of whether their daughter got abducted or not this is what can happen if you leave your kids unattended yet plenty still do.
This user liked this post: Bainsyclaret

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:05 am

conyoviejo wrote:"in the "OLD DAYS" leaving children was done as the norm."

No it wasn't the norm.. We never left our children alone on their own and neither did our friends,we either stopped in wih them or took them with us..
True, if you can't make sacrifices for your children you shouldn't have them, I've been holiday with my partner having a good social time with other friendly couples, & when the kids start yawning & getting grouchy, it signals the end of the evening, no ifs or buts & as a result I'm more refreshed in the morning to spend time with them, life's too short & memories are more important.
These 7 users liked this post: tybfc mkmel spadesclaret Dyched Rick_Muller IndigoLake conyoviejo

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:18 am

TVC15 wrote:Why’s that then ?
They lost their daughter - yes they were negligent but they have paid the worst possible price.
What’s being professionals got to do with it ? Lots of parents have done this - and I bet plenty still do. Do any of them get persecuted or prosecuted ? No - because they have been lucky enough to not get their children abducted....because irrespective of whether their daughter got abducted or not this is what can happen if you leave your kids unattended yet plenty still do.
I don’t personally think it was just ‘bad luck’. I find it hard to believe that a random abductor wandered into the complex, picked an apartment at chance and bingo! unattended kids asleep.

Surely they were being watched or tipped off by hotel staff. If they’d left the kids once and it had happened, then yes, i’d say it is unlucky. To do it repeatedly leaves themselves wide open. In my opinion of course.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:33 am

Jakubclaret wrote:True, if you can't make sacrifices for your children you shouldn't have them, I've been holiday with my partner having a good social time with other friendly couples, & when the kids start yawning & getting grouchy, it signals the end of the evening, no ifs or buts & as a result I'm more refreshed in the morning to spend time with them, life's too short & memories are more important.
Agree 100%

I don’t have children so I maybe wrong

Holidays are to spend time together with family. To have the chance to sit round a table at every meal time. Together. This time should be cherished because once home and reality kicks in it’s not so easy to do that.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:42 am

People excuse them by saying they made a mistake & it could happen to anybody, it's a lack of attention carelessness blah blah, if I ran over a old person or anybody texting somebody with a lack of attention, careless whatever you want to call it I'd be behind bars, I think the McCann's should be facing a prison sentence, I don't buy into haven't they suffered enough losing they daughter as I'd feel the same type of guilt.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:14 am

What puzzles me is that they apparently left the children in the kid's club during the whole day, left them alone at night and didn't bother to use the babysitting service that was available.
I'm not saying they were guilty of any crime, just that if you want to spend some me-time, don't drag along the children

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:20 am

I guess you win some you Praia de Luz some.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:15 am

I haven't watched it , but I do intend to, so I admit my ignorance beforehand, but is it not possible Madeline simply woke up, got up, went out the door, took a wrong turn and wandered off and maybe then fell into somewhere?

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:17 am

Possibly, but you’d think if that had happened someone may have found her in the somewhere she fell into.