International Driving Permit

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

International Driving Permit

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:19 pm

OK, who's got one?

Got mine this afternoon - trip to Spain first week of April.

Post office wasn't busy 3pm Saturday afternoon. (I guess lot's of others were on Park Lane - or in Shepherds Market). ;)

Person in front of me was told they'd got none left. She wanted 2 for France/Germany. Forms had run out - more expected next week.

Different permit for Spain (and I guess some other countries), 1949 version. Mine will last 1 year.

France/Germany apparently lasts 3 years.

Booked my trip a few months back. Also got a few days in Amsterdam booked later in April. I'll let you all know how I get on - travelling to Europe post-brexit (maybe....).

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4555 times

Re: International Driving Permit

Post by MT03ALG » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:45 pm

Thanks for the information Paul. Please keep us informed.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:53 am

You don't need an international driving licence to drive in Spain
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:03 am

I thinking quite a lot of folk who come to England and drive, have an International Driving Kermit.
This user liked this post: thatdberight

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1992 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:07 am

Top Claret wrote:You don't need an international driving licence to drive in Spain
You might after March 29th!

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:21 am

Top Claret wrote:You don't need an international driving licence to drive in Spain
Hi Top, "driving permit" not "driving licence."

If/when we leave the EU the rules change - and we, UK driving licence holders, will require the 1949 permit to drive in Spain - and I assume other countries - including hire cars. (Other versions are required for other countries. No I didn't see this on the side of a bus, either).

Yes, the car rental company may not enforce it.... Yes, we may not have left the EU when I fly to Spain in early April. Last time I was in Spain my hire car was broken into - most of luggage was nicked. :(

I spent a lot of time with the Spanish police to make sure I had a valid insurance claim. I wouldn't want to lose an insurance claim because I didn't have the valid International Driving Permit. Cost me £5+. Nothing major.

Happy to show my support for our European neighbours by visiting so soon after 29th March.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:24 am

Paul Waine wrote:Hi Top, "driving permit" not "driving licence."

If/when we leave the EU the rules change - and we, UK driving licence holders, will require the 1949 permit to drive in Spain - and I assume other countries - including hire cars. (Other versions are required for other countries. No I didn't see this on the side of a bus, either).

Yes, the car rental company may not enforce it.... Yes, we may not have left the EU when I fly to Spain in early April. Last time I was in Spain my hire car was broken into - most of luggage was nicked. :(

I spent a lot of time with the Spanish police to make sure I had a valid insurance claim. I wouldn't want to lose an insurance claim because I didn't have the valid International Driving Permit. Cost me £5+. Nothing major.

Happy to show my support for our European neighbours by visiting so soon after 29th March.
Project Fear!!!!

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:39 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:Project Fear!!!!
Not for me, DA. Just a holiday.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

alf_resco
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by alf_resco » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:08 pm

Not forgetting your "green card" when/ if you take your own car.

A real blast from the past - the first green card, along with the IDP (got from the AA back then) we had (my Dad) was in 1964 to take our Morris Minor to Munich.

But don't fret, Brexit won't be allowed to happen so all this International Driving Permit and green card nonsense won't ever come into play.
Still, a fivers not going to break the bank.

Man of Kent
Been Liked: 315 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by Man of Kent » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:11 pm

I've had one for many years and I've never been asked to show it to PC Plod or border staff - not in Brazil, Peru or anywhere in the EU.

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:32 pm

I looked at this for work recently, just in case. It looks like great fun, multiple different permits with different lifespans depending which country you go to. This was a good site for checking https://www.postoffice.co.uk/internatio ... DP-Checker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good to see all the red tape we're cutting down on ...

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2339 times
Has Liked: 1040 times

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:51 pm

Just picked mine up from Burnley's main Post Office, inside the WH Smith's store ...

Fantastically retro experience, the photo machine in there doesn't accept the " new " fivers, and the photo made me look like Stephen Fry with a severe hangover .... The Document itself ( valid for 3 years, cost £5.50 ), is reminiscent of the old British Visitors Passports, for those of us that remember them. They are hand-written on cardboard and look like something Donald Pleasence and his team might have knocked up in his role as the " Forger " in " The Great Escape " !!

I look forward to being asked for my " Papers " when in France come June ....

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:57 pm

Who knew how fun it would be buying something that we didn’t have to buy before.
This user liked this post: Siddo

alf_resco

Post by alf_resco » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:03 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Who knew how fun it would be buying something that we didn’t have to buy before.
We did have to buy them previously.
Just prob before your time.
And if you happen to think it's not been in "EU time", I had to have one to drive in Italy in 1980.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:12 pm

alf_resco wrote:We did have to buy them previously.
Just prob before your time.
And if you happen to think it's not been in "EU time", I had to have one to drive in Italy in 1980.
Before as in directly before Brexit. Not before as in at any point in the past.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1487 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:14 pm

Anyone coming to the UK to live permanently should have to take a UK driving test.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

SingaporeClarets
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by SingaporeClarets » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:16 pm

Is an IDP really necessary? I thought it was just for countries in the middle East where they can't read Latin script, it's the only time I've ever had one until I obtained a UAE license.

I've driven hire cars in the UK, Germany, Austria, Slovenia and Italy on my Singapore license with no issues.

Seems crazy therefore that I can drive in the EU on my Singapore license but not with a UK license.

alf_resco

Post by alf_resco » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:41 pm

SingaporeClarets wrote:Is an IDP really necessary? I thought it was just for countries in the middle East where they can't read Latin script, it's the only time I've ever had one until I obtained a UAE license.

I've driven hire cars in the UK, Germany, Austria, Slovenia and Italy on my Singapore license with no issues.

Seems crazy therefore that I can drive in the EU on my Singapore license but not with a UK license.
Right now, I'm on the Costa del Sol having driven my own motor from England via France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and France (again) - rather a long way round ! but had to visit an ageing relative in southern Bavaria.õ

I've driven my OWN car(s) in every country in Western Europe, including the Baltic States and Scandinavia. I've also driven relatives' and hire cars in Canada, the USA , Australia and New Zealand. Apart from when picking up a hire car, I have NEVER been asked to show a licence. I even got a DM 25 on the spot fine for speeding in a German village pre-euro and wasn't asked.
As I previously posted, as late as 1980 UK drivers were told an IDP was necessary for Italy, so I got one and again was never asked for it.
Your last point is spot-on, in my view. I can't see (for example) a US / Australian / South African etc etc licence not being valid in continental Europe and any arrival from outside the EU having to get an IDP. If anyone knows this is/is not the case, I'd be glad to hear about it.

I was driving in Holland and Germany in 1971 and a UK licence was fine back then - Italy was different for some reason. Green cards for insurance, though, were required.
Back to the future.

But nay bother, it won't happen anyway.
This user liked this post: Top Claret

alf_resco

Post by alf_resco » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:54 pm

Hmm just googled it.

Using a US driving licence as an example, it's valid in France for 90 days and in Germany for 364. So a UK driver being told one needs an IEP is either a load of bull or the EU bloc is making the UK a special case. Or our current govt is making things more difficult than necessary. Probably a combo of the latter two.

lesxdp
Been Liked: 112 times
Has Liked: 1662 times

Post by lesxdp » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:17 pm

I have one for driving in Thailand. Stopped today in a roadside check (not unusual here) but actually asked to see my driving licence for the first time in nearly ten years.

Clevedon Claret
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 932 times
Location: Where Broadchurch is filmed or on the Orihuela Costa

Post by Clevedon Claret » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:39 am

[quote="Paul Waine"]OK, who's got one?

Got mine this afternoon - trip to Spain first week of April.

Post office wasn't busy 3pm Saturday afternoon. (I guess lot's of others were on Park Lane - or in Shepherds Market). ;)

Person in front of me was told they'd got none left. She wanted 2 for France/Germany. Forms had run out - more expected next week.

Different permit for Spain (and I guess some other countries), 1949 version. Mine will last 1 year.

France/Germany apparently lasts 3 years.

Hi Paul.

When buying your permit, did the post office contact the DVLA to check that your licence is active, that you have not been banned, or have mulriple points? (not questioning your driving) I just wonder what checks are made, if any?

Clevedon Claret
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 932 times
Location: Where Broadchurch is filmed or on the Orihuela Costa

Post by Clevedon Claret » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:41 am

Duplicate

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:17 am

Clevedon Claret wrote:
Hi Paul.
When buying your permit, did the post office contact the DVLA to check that your licence is active, that you have not been banned, or have mulriple points? (not questioning your driving) I just wonder what checks are made, if any?
The counter clerk examined all the pages of my paper licence - yes, I'm old enough (and not changed address for some time), so still have a paper licence. He recorded the classes of vehicles I'm licenced to drive on the IDP. My licence is clean. (Yes, I've done the "got caught speeding" course).

I don't think there's any need to check anything with DVLA. The IDP is just a translation of what it says on my licence, so it can be understood in non-English speaking countries. If I hire a car the rental company will still need to see my licence - and may ask for the DVLA code. If I have an insurance claim or need to show licence to police, I'm sure they will make whatever DVLA checks they need at that time.