Drugs dont hurt

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Re: Drugs dont hurt

Post by ontario claret » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:58 pm

I personally prefer shooting heroin into the blood vessels near my eyeballs. It worked wonders for Jimi Hendrix. Talk about a "Purple Haze"!
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:38 pm

Hipper wrote:This documentary was shown a few weeks ago:

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week ... ee-spencer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clearly drugs do a lot of harm. They also do harm socially. Whether it's on the scale of alcohol I doubt. Alcohol is surely the most damaging drug socially, destroying marraiges etc..

Smoking, whilst damaging to health, has very limited social effects.
I think it's important to separate the harm drugs do, from the harm caused by the prohibition of drugs.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:03 pm

ontario claret wrote:I personally prefer shooting heroin into the blood vessels near my eyeballs. It worked wonders for Jimi Hendrix. Talk about a "Purple Haze"!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reading your posts, I am not unconvinced this is not actually a joke! :D

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:16 am

AndrewJB wrote:I think it's important to separate the harm drugs do, from the harm caused by the prohibition of drugs.
You are right of course but my point didn't consider the prohibition of drugs, just there use, which is what this thread is about.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:19 pm

Hipper wrote:You are right of course but my point didn't consider the prohibition of drugs, just there use, which is what this thread is about.
The current state of prohibition is inextricably linked to how drugs are used and the harm they do. To die of a heroin overdose, for example, takes hours (you fall asleep and don't wake up), however many people found dead due to heroin still have the needle in their arms. They've died as a result of what was put into the heroin, and these additives are there because it's an unregulated black market.

Illegal drugs are actively marketed to the most vulnerable.

Illegal drugs are expensive because they're illegal. We can all agree that having an addiction is not a good thing, however it is still possible to manage an addiction, and live an otherwise full and meaningful life. When an addiction costs more than you can afford through having a regular job, then it's no longer possible to manage.
This user liked this post: Hipper

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:44 pm

AndrewJB wrote:The current state of prohibition is inextricably linked to how drugs are used and the harm they do. To die of a heroin overdose, for example, takes hours (you fall asleep and don't wake up), however many people found dead due to heroin still have the needle in their arms. They've died as a result of what was put into the heroin, and these additives are there because it's an unregulated black market.

Illegal drugs are actively marketed to the most vulnerable.

Illegal drugs are expensive because they're illegal. We can all agree that having an addiction is not a good thing, however it is still possible to manage an addiction, and live an otherwise full and meaningful life. When an addiction costs more than you can afford through having a regular job, then it's no longer possible to manage.
Or... dont start taking heroin?

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:45 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Or... dont start taking heroin?
I don't think anyone takes up heroin as a lifestyle choice. If the drug were available on prescription to registered addicts, then there would be no market for it here. Several tonnes of heroin is imported into the UK every year, and simply by decriminalising it and giving it to addicts via the NHS we'd kill that trade off. And with no black market, the number of people trying it for the first time and becoming addicts would drop off markedly.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:25 pm

AndrewJB wrote:I don't think anyone takes up heroin as a lifestyle choice. If the drug were available on prescription to registered addicts, then there would be no market for it here. Several tonnes of heroin is imported into the UK every year, and simply by decriminalising it and giving it to addicts via the NHS we'd kill that trade off. And with no black market, the number of people trying it for the first time and becoming addicts would drop off markedly.
Sounds simple...

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:31 pm

C'mon, cc. You and I usually get along quite well. Yes, it is a joke. But it was also reality for Jimi.

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:33 pm

And how much can you tie in Jimi's musical brilliance to his drug use? Unfortunately, not uncommon among many artists.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:18 pm

AndrewJB wrote:I don't think anyone takes up heroin as a lifestyle choice. If the drug were available on prescription to registered addicts, then there would be no market for it here. Several tonnes of heroin is imported into the UK every year, and simply by decriminalising it and giving it to addicts via the NHS we'd kill that trade off. And with no black market, the number of people trying it for the first time and becoming addicts would drop off markedly.
I see sense in that idea & if it wasn’t available via the black market it’d be unlikely as a first time drug user experimenting with a drug so potent, we already do similar with methodone as a safer substitute but without decriminalising, I suspect the reluctance stems from the message that actually weaning the patient off & gradually becoming free from dependency via a rehabilitation sense is a preferred course, it’s a long way off we haven’t even legalised cannabis yet & you’re suggesting heroin.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun May 12, 2019 11:52 pm

Another young kid sadly a victim of drugs again!!!!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/p ... spartanntp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Mon May 13, 2019 12:20 am

And you’ll see from that tragic story that the police aren’t actually sure what she’s taken due to it being acquired from an unregulated black market.