Religion wins again

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
basil6345789
Posts: 1305
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:22 pm
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby basil6345789 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:38 pm

Schools should stick to teaching the 3 R's, not subjective, controversial topics
This user liked this post: Funkydrummer

# 2
Funkydrummer
Posts: 4666
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Been Liked: 1711 times
Has Liked: 1103 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Religion wins again

Postby Funkydrummer » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:44 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:What age do you explain to kids that being homosexual is fine?

Why wait, we don't wait to tell them heterosexual relationships are fine.


Spot on, bloody brilliant - take a like from me.

# 3
Imploding Turtle
Posts: 19397
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 am
Been Liked: 5284 times
Has Liked: 2450 times
Location: Burnley, Lancs

Re: Religion wins again

Postby Imploding Turtle » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:06 am

When it comes to education there should never be a religious test for what should and shouldn't be taught. And it's ******* ridiculous that we're still bowing down to these idiots (which actually makes us even more stupid).

# 4
PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:35 pm
Been Liked: 188 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:01 am

We shouldn't be teaching kids in school that being gay or lesbian is fine. Society should be teaching kids that being gay or lesbian is fine, most kids don't grow up in isolation and suddenly arrive at a lesson in school one day without experiencing things outside school. Most kids today know that boys can like girls, girls can like boys, boys can like boys and girls can like girls. And for those few kids who have been isolated and who are already influenced by religion/parents a few lessons are not going to change anything.

We should be teaching about self worth, building kids self confidence, teaching them to value others, team work. Not concentrating on relationships, kids should not be in relationships,but if they are taught about self worth, self confidence, team work, value others they will go on to establish positive meaningful relationships in future years when they are older.
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

# 5
Imploding Turtle
Posts: 19397
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 am
Been Liked: 5284 times
Has Liked: 2450 times
Location: Burnley, Lancs

Re: Religion wins again

Postby Imploding Turtle » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:43 am

PutTheWheelieBinsOut wrote:We shouldn't be teaching kids in school that being gay or lesbian is fine. Society should be teaching kids that being gay or lesbian is fine, most kids don't grow up in isolation and suddenly arrive at a lesson in school one day without experiencing things outside school. Most kids today know that boys can like girls, girls can like boys, boys can like boys and girls can like girls. And for those few kids who have been isolated and who are already influenced by religion/parents a few lessons are not going to change anything.

We should be teaching about self worth, building kids self confidence, teaching them to value others, team work. Not concentrating on relationships, kids should not be in relationships,but if they are taught about self worth, self confidence, team work, value others they will go on to establish positive meaningful relationships in future years when they are older.



Part of society teaching people that it is fine is schools teaching kids that homosexuality is fine. And it's impossible to properly teach children about discrimination throughout history without teaching them about the kinds of things people were discriminated for, including their homosexuality.
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

# 6
Corky
Posts: 874
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:37 pm
Been Liked: 305 times
Has Liked: 256 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby Corky » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:45 am

For me it is quite simple; anybody is allowed to be an idiot in our society and believe in a God or Gods if they so wish. I don't even mind them dressing up in funny clothes (if it is genuinely their choice), but, as soon as it starts impacting on day to day society as in this case then they should be stopped not pandered to.
This user liked this post: Pstotto

# 7
Quickenthetempo
Posts: 8116
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:35 am
Been Liked: 1807 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby Quickenthetempo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:17 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:What age do you explain to kids that being homosexual is fine?

Why wait, we don't wait to tell them heterosexual relationships are fine.

Exactly this.

Over 30 years ago I know but when I was in junior school the term 'gay' was used to knock other people. Insinuating they were weak etc.

Society had taught us about Gays at a young age. Just wrongly.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

# 8
Pstotto
Posts: 4102
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:11 pm
Been Liked: 726 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby Pstotto » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:30 am

... And now you sit on a coke bottle for comfort when you're driving, yeah and say "Hey those folks aren't so bad after all" :-)

# 9
Imploding Turtle
Posts: 19397
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 am
Been Liked: 5284 times
Has Liked: 2450 times
Location: Burnley, Lancs

Re: Religion wins again

Postby Imploding Turtle » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:33 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:Exactly this.

Over 30 years ago I know but when I was in junior school the term 'gay' was used to knock other people. Insinuating they were weak etc.

Society had taught us about Gays at a young age. Just wrongly.



Maybe schools should send letters out to parents telling them that if their kid is caught using discriminatory slurs then they're going to get detention for a week, and in that detention they're going to learn all about the history of the terms they used. That way if parents don't want their kids learning about homosexuality and how homosexuals have been tortured and killed throughout history, as a result of things like religion, then they should do a better job of not raising ignorant little *****.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

# 10
Quickenthetempo
Posts: 8116
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:35 am
Been Liked: 1807 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby Quickenthetempo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:56 am

Pstotto wrote:... And now you sit on a coke bottle for comfort when you're driving, yeah and say "Hey those folks aren't so bad after all" :-)

Who even drinks Coke anymore? So 1990s

# 11
claret59
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:10 pm
Been Liked: 51 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby claret59 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:16 pm

I thought that religious subjects on this site were to be avoided and with good cause. Nearly all of the posts so far have been attacking religious faith and in so doing attack people who adhere to a faith. It is not that long ago that homophobic posts were the norm and racial abuse echoed down around the terraces ; racial posts were quite common on here and anyone who murmured any objection was told it was only 'banter.'
Now those twin towers of hatred and enmity are no longer available those who joined in them have to find something else where can they express their dislike of those who may be different to them. They turn on religion safe in the knowledge that they can offend to their heart's' content without any word of sanction.

# 12
willsclarets
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:06 am
Been Liked: 268 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby willsclarets » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:55 pm

Religion is really important. But it's importance is part of our cultural heritage and social history. In many ways it was our first attempt, in trying to make sense of scientific phenomena, health and morality. Imagine our ancestors seeing lightning, or beginning to understand the role of the Sun in sustaining life. It's no wonder Gods came about! But it's also great for explaining functions and facets of society like control, identity, discrimination and order. The arts too are full of religious significance, whether it's music, architecture or paintings. The very fact that the religion you happen to believe in is almost universally dependent on where you were born and the cultural underpinnings that follow is fascinating to learn about. But what's interesting is that we've moved on as species in so many ways, and yet hold onto the coat tails of an understanding of our place in the universe that is demonstrably untrue, mightily improbable and often damaging in the wrong hands.

Morality for example, is a zeitgeist that moves on through social discourse. Until (relatively) recently, we used to make bears dance and put children up chimneys to work. Our treatment of those who might have a different sexual preference has also, thankfully, moved on. Religion holds us back in these regards not forwards. Copernicus was burned at the stake for trying to move our understanding of our solar system, fast forward 400+ years the development of medicine and healthcare is still massively held back in parts of the world where religious texts are followed to the letter.

Our problem as a species is we aren't comfortable with what we don't know or understand, and religion still plugs those gaps. I get it, people don't want to think they just die, that there's no reason for our existence, that something can come from nothing, infinity is a mind boggling concept etc etc. But religion isn't the answer to any of it at least at a scientific level. What people believe personally is non of mine or anyone else's business, but under any proper scientific process a theory anchored in religion fails at the first hurdle.

So yes, religion should definitely be taught, but in the history class.
These 5 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Goodclaret Greenmile Darnhill Claret Falcon

# 13
GodIsADeeJay81
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
Been Liked: 585 times
Has Liked: 1332 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:02 pm

claret59 wrote:I thought that religious subjects on this site were to be avoided and with good cause. Nearly all of the posts so far have been attacking religious faith and in so doing attack people who adhere to a faith. It is not that long ago that homophobic posts were the norm and racial abuse echoed down around the terraces ; racial posts were quite common on here and anyone who murmured any objection was told it was only 'banter.'
Now those twin towers of hatred and enmity are no longer available those who joined in them have to find something else where can they express their dislike of those who may be different to them. They turn on religion safe in the knowledge that they can offend to their heart's' content without any word of sanction.


Now it might be me misreading your post, but are you implying racists and homophobes are attacking religion because they can't express their racism and homophobia in their normal way?

If I'm wrong then so be it, but it doesn't look that way.

# 14
dsr
Posts: 8030
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 pm
Been Liked: 2446 times
Has Liked: 1077 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby dsr » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:04 pm

There are two main themes on this thread.

1. Tolerance of homosexuals.
2. Intolerance of people with faith in God.

Is there a contradiction?

# 15
AndrewJB
Posts: 1654
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:20 pm
Been Liked: 696 times
Has Liked: 478 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby AndrewJB » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:10 pm

The purpose of religious education isn't to inculcate religious values, but to give children an understanding of other people (among many definitions). The vast majority of people on earth take their core values either directly, or as a derivation from religion - so why (even as an atheist) would you not want your children learning about it? And in keeping with the rest of the curriculum, children are encouraged to think critically in RE, and ask questions.

As for teaching the diversity of relationships, the school I'm involved with (in a predominantly non-Christian area of London) has been doing it for years, only rather than banging a drum about it we've listed it under the banner of "teaching British values" Whenever I've been asked about it by parents (and since the issue became more public recently this has happened a few times), I suggest they make an appointment to view a lesson and see for themselves. Everything is age appropriate.

For parents who demand choice in the matter - the choice to excuse their children from the lesson - I would point out that their "choice" was between putting their child in state school or going down the private route (or home schooling). They can't just cherry pick what they like and don't like about the state system. There are established ways of getting the curriculum changed.

# 16
Lord Beamish
Posts: 4116
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 2788 times
Has Liked: 1823 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby Lord Beamish » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:14 pm

dsr wrote:There are two main themes on this thread.

1. Tolerance of homosexuals.
2. Intolerance of people with faith in God.

Is there a contradiction?

I’m only intolerant of Religious Believers who are intolerant of Homosexuals/other Out-Groups. Other than that, I’m absolutely fine with People of Faith.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

# 17
willsclarets
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:06 am
Been Liked: 268 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby willsclarets » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:16 pm

You can criticise ideas in monotheistic religions claiming truths, without being intolerant of someone who believes in a God. Religious ideas like any others should be held to the same levels of scrutiny, and shouldn't be personal but objective.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

# 18
GodIsADeeJay81
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
Been Liked: 585 times
Has Liked: 1332 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:18 pm

dsr wrote:There are two main themes on this thread.

1. Tolerance of homosexuals.
2. Intolerance of people with faith in God.

Is there a contradiction?


1 isn't promoted by people who're part of group 2 as a general rule of thumb.

So if group two are allowed to be intolerent why can't group one, and supporters of their rights, be intolerent of people who follow and believe in a book that promotes intolerance...

Or doesn't it work that way?

# 19
CoolClaret
Posts: 956
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 7:39 pm
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby CoolClaret » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:22 pm

grapidianclaret wrote:Seperation of church and state needs to be mandated everywhere to prevent all religious indoctrination.


No doubt.

I'm just concerned in an increasingly aethistic society, where kids are largely rejecting religious dogma that kids from an Islamic background really aren't to anywhere near the same magnitude - some even being more fundamental!

I attribute this partially to just how radical Islam as a religion is and how the community deals with apostates.

Which is basically why I believe it really should be of a concern more so than Christianity.

# 20
dsr
Posts: 8030
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 pm
Been Liked: 2446 times
Has Liked: 1077 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby dsr » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:29 pm

Most religions are tolerant of homosexuality. The Church in the UK certainly is. Disapproving, certainly; but that's not the same as intolerant.

We had all this years ago, when adultery was legalised. There was no suggestion then that the Church should embrace it and welcome it; but nonetheless, it is tolerated.

# 21
CFS
Posts: 1171
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:46 am
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby CFS » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:33 pm

I think a parent has every right to stand up for what he deems unnecessary for his child. It is is their children not yours so let people raise kids how they want or else give a rulebook out for everyone saying you must be this or do this.

# 22
MACCA
Posts: 10113
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2468 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby MACCA » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:35 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:But she's not real. ;)


Oh she is real, fine specimen of a women.

I'd love to live on Coronation street, there's not many munters walking around on that street!

# 23
willsclarets
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:06 am
Been Liked: 268 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby willsclarets » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:36 pm

dsr wrote: We had all this years ago, when adultery was legalised


:lol:

# 24
GodIsADeeJay81
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
Been Liked: 585 times
Has Liked: 1332 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:38 pm

The church only approves of homosexuality when it involves one of their priests.....misbehaving.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

# 25
Lord Beamish
Posts: 4116
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 2788 times
Has Liked: 1823 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby Lord Beamish » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:41 pm

dsr wrote:Most religions are tolerant of homosexuality. The Church in the UK certainly is. Disapproving, certainly; but that's not the same as intolerant.

We had all this years ago, when adultery was legalised. There was no suggestion then that the Church should embrace it and welcome it; but nonetheless, it is tolerated.

If I was Gay I wouldn’t want the Church or any Religion ‘tolerating’ me. I’d want the to keep their f *cking nose right out of my personal business. All this ‘Love the Sinner; Hate the Sin’ stuff is bunk; especially if the ‘sin’ is to ‘be’ something rather than ‘do’ something.
Who gives a tuppeny f* ck if The C of E, Vatican, or whoever disapprove; they’re hardly paragons of virtue them selves, and certainly don’t seriously carry any Moral Superiority over anyone.
Last edited by Lord Beamish on Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Greenmile

# 26
willsclarets
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:06 am
Been Liked: 268 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby willsclarets » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:00 pm

A great little quote from Stephen Fry in a debate:

"It’s the strangest thing about this church - it is obsessed with sex, absolutely obsessed. Now, they will say we, with our permissive society and rude jokes, are obsessed. No. We have a healthy attitude. We like it, it’s fun, it’s jolly; because it’s a primary impulse it can be dangerous and dark and difficult.
It’s a bit like food in that respect, only even more exciting. The only people who are obsessed with food are anorexics and the morbidly obese, and that in erotic terms is the Catholic Church in a nutshell.”
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

# 27
WadingInDeeper
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:37 pm
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby WadingInDeeper » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:03 pm

What a great topic. So, basically, an essentially religious group with millions of obsessive followers, which indoctrinates it's children, is still largely homophobic, still has racist elements, and which still segregates male from female, is criticising a religion with millions of followers, which (allegedly) indoctrinates it's children, is homophobic and segregates male from female.

As the course is called no outsiders, or something similar, to promote integration, it would be interesting to see if they had similar courses planned for other groups.

# 28
GodIsADeeJay81
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
Been Liked: 585 times
Has Liked: 1332 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:08 pm

WadingInDeeper wrote:What a great topic. So, basically, an essentially religious group with millions of obsessive followers, which indoctrinates it's children, is still largely homophobic, still has racist elements, and which still segregates male from female, is criticising a religion with millions of followers, which (allegedly) indoctrinates it's children, is homophobic and segregates male from female.

As the course is called no outsiders, or something similar, to promote integration, it would be interesting to see if they had similar courses planned for other groups.


Yeah, pretty much.

Followers of the same god complaining about how to treat gay people when they've been raised to believe that being gay is a bad thing...
Religion does strange things to people's minds.

# 29
ontario claret
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:13 am
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times
Location: Brooklin

Re: Religion wins again

Postby ontario claret » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:15 pm

Obviously, most of what I post is lost on you lot. You twist and turn everything and pick at scabs until you find something you find fault with. I'm not preaching to anybody. What you find in your heart (if, indeed, you have one) is there and should ever remain there. But I'll leave you with this. I call it the ultimate parable. Your family has a cottage in northern Ontario. You're six years old, and are playing on the beach. You have a jar in which you are trying to catch minnows. You are successful, but in doing so you have cut your finger. The blood from your finger drops into the jar, and the minnows rise up in order to digest your blood. What does this mean, and what effect did it have on said person? When I was told it, I couldn't figure it out for over 30 years. Then the answer came one lonely night. Good luck.

# 30
Lord Beamish
Posts: 4116
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 2788 times
Has Liked: 1823 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby Lord Beamish » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:19 pm

ontario claret wrote:Obviously, most of what I post is lost on you lot. You twist and turn everything and pick at scabs until you find something you find fault with. I'm not preaching to anybody. What you find in your heart (if, indeed, you have one) is there and should ever remain there. But I'll leave you with this. I call it the ultimate parable. Your family has a cottage in northern Ontario. You're six years old, and are playing on the beach. You have a jar in which you are trying to catch minnows. You are successful, but in doing so you have cut your finger. The blood from your finger drops into the jar, and the minnows rise up in order to digest your blood. What does this mean, and what effect did it have on said person? When I was told it, I couldn't figure it out for over 30 years. Then the answer came one lonely night. Good luck.

Have the minnows now got Hep C?

# 31
willsclarets
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:06 am
Been Liked: 268 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby willsclarets » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:32 pm

ontario claret wrote:Obviously, most of what I post is lost on you lot. You twist and turn everything and pick at scabs until you find something you find fault with. I'm not preaching to anybody. What you find in your heart (if, indeed, you have one) is there and should ever remain there. But I'll leave you with this. I call it the ultimate parable. Your family has a cottage in northern Ontario. You're six years old, and are playing on the beach. You have a jar in which you are trying to catch minnows. You are successful, but in doing so you have cut your finger. The blood from your finger drops into the jar, and the minnows rise up in order to digest your blood. What does this mean, and what effect did it have on said person? When I was told it, I couldn't figure it out for over 30 years. Then the answer came one lonely night. Good luck.



I've looked through the thread and cannot find a single instance of someone twisting your words and/or picking at them. I'm not being facetious, I just genuinely can't see it.

# 32
willsclarets
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:06 am
Been Liked: 268 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby willsclarets » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:36 pm

willsclarets wrote:I've looked through the thread and cannot find a single instance of someone twisting your words and/or picking at them. I'm not being facetious, I just genuinely can't see it.


EDIT: saw the lib dem/preachy one. Don't take it personally, more than anything else it's definitely not worth it.

# 33
Jakubclaret
Posts: 1452
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:47 pm
Been Liked: 183 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby Jakubclaret » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:40 pm

PutTheWheelieBinsOut wrote:We shouldn't be teaching kids in school that being gay or lesbian is fine. Society should be teaching kids that being gay or lesbian is fine, most kids don't grow up in isolation and suddenly arrive at a lesson in school one day without experiencing things outside school. Most kids today know that boys can like girls, girls can like boys, boys can like boys and girls can like girls. And for those few kids who have been isolated and who are already influenced by religion/parents a few lessons are not going to change anything.

We should be teaching about self worth, building kids self confidence, teaching them to value others, team work. Not concentrating on relationships, kids should not be in relationships,but if they are taught about self worth, self confidence, team work, value others they will go on to establish positive meaningful relationships in future years when they are older.

Agree, there’s more important things kids need to be learning about than whether a certain kind of sexuality is acceptable or not, teaching kids that being gay & lesbian is fine but will not help them pass the GCSEs grades well numbers now, kids will discover things for themselves from there parents or on TV or from there pals outside of school, everyone’s different & teachers have certain remits to follow, eg maths algebra, sex education strayed into biology fleetingly, apart from that it was normal for it not to be mentioned & everybody seemed comfortable with that arrangement.
Last edited by Jakubclaret on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

# 34
ontario claret
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:13 am
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times
Location: Brooklin

Re: Religion wins again

Postby ontario claret » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:42 pm

You don't find the discussion over the name "Misra" to be, how can I say it, odious and only designed to make me rise to the bait and "touch a nerve"? You interpret it the way you want, and I congratulate you on your successful fishing expedition.

# 35
ontario claret
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:13 am
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times
Location: Brooklin

Re: Religion wins again

Postby ontario claret » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:46 pm

Anybody else want a shot at the parable? I don't think that testing for blood diseases had yet been invented back then.

# 36
willsclarets
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:06 am
Been Liked: 268 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby willsclarets » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:55 pm

Not fishing, never have. I just thought Riley Bobs was being observant really and didn't mean offence. Anyway, not my quarrel so i'll shut it.

The parable seems to me something about not expecting to take from people all the time without giving something of yourself in return?
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

# 37
ontario claret
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:13 am
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times
Location: Brooklin

Re: Religion wins again

Postby ontario claret » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:59 pm

You're kind of on the right track, but not really. I have a huge clue to give, but I'm not ready to reveal it just yet.

# 38
Bin Ont Turf
Posts: 8358
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 am
Been Liked: 3944 times
Has Liked: 469 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: Religion wins again

Postby Bin Ont Turf » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:01 pm

Man is the master of his own fate, not a god. The Gods are man's creation to give answers that they are too afraid to give themselves.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

# 39
ontario claret
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:13 am
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times
Location: Brooklin

Re: Religion wins again

Postby ontario claret » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:27 pm

That is true, B-o-T, only if man lacks a soul. I'm in the camp that what separates man from the beasties is the ability to look at one's actions and criticize if they are "good" or "bad". Hence, the creation of philosophy. My favourite philosopher was Soren Kierkegaard, the philosopher who was the father of modern day existentialism, but who also was a pastor in the Danish Lutheran Church. In "Fear and Trembling" he postulated on what was required to reach Heaven. Was it being totally altruistic? Would only the sinless reach Heaven? By illustrating various interpretations of the story of Abraham and Lot, he showed that it was faith that was required, and while it was good that man should try to ply an honest and pious life, the acknowledgement of God was the only real need. David, in the Old Testament, was perhaps the greatest sinner of all time, yet one of the Bible's main contributors. We all must serve.

# 40
ontario claret
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:13 am
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times
Location: Brooklin

Re: Religion wins again

Postby ontario claret » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:35 pm

Another story. This person's father once took his children to the middle of the lake and dumped them overboard. Without life jackets, it was sink or swim. Well, he rowed aside, and they all made it back, but talk about swimming lessons!

# 41
GodIsADeeJay81
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
Been Liked: 585 times
Has Liked: 1332 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:40 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:Agree, there’s more important things kids need to be learning about than whether a certain kind of sexuality is acceptable or not, teaching kids that being gay & lesbian is fine but will not help them pass the GCSEs grades well numbers now, kids will discover things for themselves from there parents or on TV or from there pals outside of school, everyone’s different & teachers have certain remits to follow, eg maths algebra, sex education strayed into biology fleetingly, apart from that it was normal for it not to be mentioned & everybody seemed comfortable with that arrangement.


Ok cool, so does that mean we can expect schools to stop telling kids it's fine to be in a heterosexual relationship?
That's what you're saying isn't it, leave it all to family, friends and the internet...

# 42
GodIsADeeJay81
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
Been Liked: 585 times
Has Liked: 1332 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:42 pm

Ontario, when you can prove a soul exists then we can talk about people who may lack one.

Same with regards to god's, holy books and crazy people from the desert having religions created thanks to their ramblings.
This user liked this post: Barry_Chuckle

# 43
willsclarets
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:06 am
Been Liked: 268 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby willsclarets » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:51 pm

ontario claret wrote:That is true, B-o-T, only if man lacks a soul. I'm in the camp that what separates man from the beasties is the ability to look at one's actions and criticize if they are "good" or "bad". Hence, the creation of philosophy. My favourite philosopher was Soren Kierkegaard, the philosopher who was the father of modern day existentialism, but who also was a pastor in the Danish Lutheran Church. In "Fear and Trembling" he postulated on what was required to reach Heaven. Was it being totally altruistic? Would only the sinless reach Heaven? By illustrating various interpretations of the story of Abraham and Lot, he showed that it was faith that was required, and while it was good that man should try to ply an honest and pious life, the acknowledgement of God was the only real need. David, in the Old Testament, was perhaps the greatest sinner of all time, yet one of the Bible's main contributors. We all must serve.


This kind of thing worries me, that this world is a stepping stone to the next. You hear it in the context of justice too, "justice will be served in the next life if not this.." What we want, surely, is for people to use their human ability to be introspective and condemn their "bad" actions with the will to be a better person. In this world. If the aim is heaven, and the ticket price is faith without responsibility as a member of society - then that to me is a bad idea. It's an unavoidable fact that if God is real, an omnipotent and loving God stands idly in the face of manifest evil, while the Church even claims it to be a necessary part of a heavenly Plan of ultimate justice.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

# 44
Jakubclaret
Posts: 1452
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:47 pm
Been Liked: 183 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby Jakubclaret » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:57 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Ok cool, so does that mean we can expect schools to stop telling kids it's fine to be in a heterosexual relationship?
That's what you're saying isn't it, leave it all to family, friends and the internet...

Like i said everyones different & some schools are different, it was over 25 years ago i was at secondary school, things have changed so much since then, maybe I'm out of touch & I'm behind with the times, my school it never really got mentioned apart from biology with the gender parts being different, back then things seemed simpler, none of the transgender or transvestites (i know thats different) or complex relationships seemed to be talked about, I'll be honest with you I'm ignorant about it all, i can't follow it all nowadays.
Last edited by Jakubclaret on Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

# 45
ontario claret
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:13 am
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times
Location: Brooklin

Re: Religion wins again

Postby ontario claret » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:58 pm

Couldn't agree with you more. We'll talk again tomorrow.

# 46
GodIsADeeJay81
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
Been Liked: 585 times
Has Liked: 1332 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:03 am

Jakubclaret wrote:Like i said everyones different & some schools are different, it was over 25 years ago i was at secondary school, things have changed so much since then, maybe I'm out of touch & I'm behind with the times, my school it never really got mentioned apart from biology with the gender organs being different, back then things seemed simpler, none of transgender (i know thats different) or complex relationships seemed to be talked about, I'll be honest with you I'm ignorant about it all, i can't follow it all nowadays.


20 years since I left school, which makes me feel really old :shock:

Wasn't mentioned much at my school either, but there was plenty of bullying of people who were assumed to be gay.

Plenty hid their sexuality too at my school, including the singer/X Factor competitor Sami Brookes.
I had no clue at school that she was a lesbian, but when people were bullied for it (even if they weren't), why would she admit it until she'd left school?
That's an example as to why schools should explain it early on, to make life easier for all, to help stop bullying through ignorance and to stop young people feeling like the only way out is through suicide because they can't express who they are.

# 47
grapidianclaret
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:03 pm
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 168 times
Location: at work,for a change!

Re: Religion wins again

Postby grapidianclaret » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:03 am

CoolClaret wrote:No doubt.

I'm just concerned in an increasingly aethistic society, where kids are largely rejecting religious dogma that kids from an Islamic background really aren't to anywhere near the same magnitude - some even being more fundamental!

I attribute this partially to just how radical Islam as a religion is and how the community deals with apostates.

Which is basically why I believe it really should be of a concern more so than Christianity.


I live in the USA. The only fundamentalists over here, and they number in the millions, are followers of Jesus
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

# 48
Inchy
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:32 pm
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 70 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby Inchy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:02 am

I am more offended schools teach about religion that homosexual.

They don’t teach kids about the tooth fairy so why educate about other make believe characters

# 49
Greenmile
Posts: 2012
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:50 pm
Been Liked: 622 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby Greenmile » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:15 am

CFS wrote:I think a parent has every right to stand up for what he deems unnecessary for his child. It is is their children not yours so let people raise kids how they want or else give a rulebook out for everyone saying you must be this or do this.


Even Josef Fritzl (as an extreme example)?

# 50
CoolClaret
Posts: 956
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 7:39 pm
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Re: Religion wins again

Postby CoolClaret » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:15 am

grapidianclaret wrote:I live in the USA. The only fundamentalists over here, and they number in the millions, are followers of Jesus


Fair point, I wasn't quite speaking of the US - as you pointed out it has a rather large number of fundamentalists, I. E. wouldn't really call it an increasing aethistic society, I was referring more to the UK & other Northern European countries but again, point taken.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish


Return to “The Bee Hole End”