UEFA charge Montenegro

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

UEFA charge Montenegro

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:24 am

Disciplinary proceedings opened on charges including racist behaviour and throwing of objects

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Re: UEFA charge Montenegro

Post by Murger » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:29 am

Be a few quid fine at most. It's a joke.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:32 am

Murger wrote:Be a few quid fine at most. It's a joke.
That's the problem Murger - always a fine for an association that's no greater than fining you or me a quid. They need to start getting tough with these countries. If guilty, throw them out of the competitions for a period of time.
These 3 users liked this post: Rick_Muller simonclaret longsidepies

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:02 pm

Agreed.

If found guilty, after a proper investigation [which should not drag on] they should have points deducted.

Next sanction would be matches behind closed doors.

Next would be Montenegro [or whoever] playing their home games in a neighbouring country.

Finally..ban them from international football, if their behavioural record does not improve.

Fines are useless..insulting even - hit them where it hurts.
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

whiffa
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 2560 times

Post by whiffa » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:06 pm

I'm not condoning the behavior in the slightest. Completely unacceptable. However, if you take aside racism and look at behavior in football in general - incidents like the Jack Grealish one are no better. Where do you draw the line at it being the fault of an individual, club or national FA?

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:11 pm

I don’t even know why we have to play these primitive footballing non entities , utter waste of everyone’s time as no matter how well you beat them unless your going up against quality teams you’ll learn very little . Time to reduce the size of the comp

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:29 pm

Monty Don's next... Once the softy middle classes starting acting up THEN they'll be a fight...

Ilkley claret
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by Ilkley claret » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Perhaps FIFA will force them to change the name of their country?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:54 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:I don’t even know why we have to play these primitive footballing non entities , utter waste of everyone’s time as no matter how well you beat them unless your going up against quality teams you’ll learn very little . Time to reduce the size of the comp
Obviously to give England a chance of qualifying...Accy would have beaten Montenegro Last night.

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:13 pm

So points deductions, games behind closed doors, etc. Nothing wrong with these suggestions. What about the domestic game though? What should Burnley's punishment be for what happened at Brighton? I'm not trolling, it's a genuine question as our own authorities go easy on clubs in this country when there's clear evidence of racism from a minority.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:17 pm

Forced to play as Montepersonofcolour for the rest of the qualifying campaign. That'll teach them to think on.
These 2 users liked this post: wilks_bfc basil6345789

claretburns
Been Liked: 848 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:17 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:
If found guilty, after a proper investigation [which should not drag on] they should have points deducted.
Not sure how you could police a fair points deduction as punishment, for example Montenegro get 6 points deducted for last night and if say in future racism happens from Italy, England, Spain, France fans etc and these countries get deducted 6 points, the point deduction will hurt these countries a lot more than a Montenegro sized nation as they wouldn't have qualified anyway in all likelihood.

For me simply any fans of a country found to be racist then that country is eliminated from the competition and all results removed.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:22 pm

All countries have racists some more than others and it's a two way thing.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:24 pm

thatdberight wrote:Forced to play as Montepersonofcolour for the rest of the qualifying campaign. That'll teach them to think on.
I shouldn’t have found that as funny as I did :lol:

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:08 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:I don’t even know why we have to play these primitive footballing non entities , utter waste of everyone’s time as no matter how well you beat them unless your going up against quality teams you’ll learn very little . Time to reduce the size of the comp
Er, could Man City, United, Chelski etc not say this about us?

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:04 pm

Not guna stop it. Why bother
This user liked this post: houseboy

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Foulthrow wrote:Er, could Man City, United, Chelski etc not say this about us?
I think you’ll find that we can compete far more consistently than Montenegro ( hardly their fault but a tiny nation ) using the above examples . Surely there should be a “ small racist country/ utterly sh1t at football” euros where the likes of Ascension Island , Isle of Man ,Gib,Puffin Island ,Scotland,Montenegro/ ex soviet shitholes can have close competitive football ?

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:40 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:I think you’ll find that we can compete far more consistently than Montenegro ( hardly their fault but a tiny nation ) using the above examples . Surely there should be a “ small racist country/ utterly sh1t at football” euros where the likes of Ascension Island , Isle of Man ,Gib,Puffin Island ,Scotland,Montenegro/ ex soviet shitholes can have close competitive football ?
We've played Montenegro 5 times in the past 10 years and only beaten them twice.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:24 pm

Racism seems always to occur in Eastern Europe. The penalty ought to be to ban them. But it wont happen.

Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Cheshireclaret » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:39 pm

The current punishments for racist abuse are shamefully pathetic. The chances are, Montenegro will face a fine of around £44,000 and will be forced to play a game behind closed doors.

Quite simply, the authorities are not tackling this issue sufficiently. Before the World Cup last year, Russia were fined £22,000 by FIFA for racist abuse during a warm up game against France. To put that into context, UEFA fined Besiktas circa £30,000 for the heinous crime of allowing a cat to wander onto the field of play.

Until countries are thrown out of competitions for this disgusting behaviour and proper sanctions are imposed, then this will just continue. Punishment should also include education so this abhorrent ignorance is addressed.

To hear the Montenegran manager try and claim ignorance of the matter after the match heaped yet more shame on the whole sorry incident and any sympathy I may have had for strong sanctions affecting innocent players and staff of Montenegro evaporated in that moment.

If this is swept under the carpet again with a spineless punishment then I really will despair.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:34 pm

Stayingup wrote:Racism seems always to occur in Eastern Europe. The penalty ought to be to ban them. But it wont happen.
Until they gain an Empire (then lose it) and have their lands saturated with Asians (not the oriental ones) and descendants from Africa, then they should play their matches behind closed doors forever.

I hope that Danny Rose is getting some counselling right now.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:54 pm

Stayingup wrote:Racism seems always to occur in Eastern Europe. The penalty ought to be to ban them. But it wont happen.
Is Bombing an option?

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:28 pm

Send the buggers back!
Attachments
Montenegro clarets.JPG
Montenegro clarets.JPG (152.97 KiB) Viewed 2364 times

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:31 pm

Shocking that it happens. But punishing a team / nation because of a few mindless individuals wont resolve the problem nor is it the right action to take IMO.

Should Burnley be punished because some dickhead threw a bottle at Joey Barton? Most of the time they are only using the football as an excuse, they arent even arsed about the result or the impact to the team! Banning or fining the team will have no impact on tose individuals. They wont care.

Its like the coaches to Ewood. The majority have never caused an issue. Yet the majority are the ones who have to get the policed coaches to the game!

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:50 pm

Point one: I'm not sure we will ever 'kick it out', it is human nature I think to criticise and denegrate 'others'. It may even die away to a degree if it wasn't made so much of. It may well be best (although I don't think it will happen) just to leave it because it is virtually impossible to police. I don't in any way agree with what happened but sometimes I think it's just better to brush it off and think of them as idiots.
Point two: It doesn't surprise me in the least that this happened. Some years ago I passed through Montenegro (when it was still part of Yugoslavia). We were on a train from Salonika to Belgrade and passing through this area the train was suddenly filled with hundreds of gypsy-like people who proceeded to climb onto baggage racks and into toilets to sleep. We were virtually trapped in a compartment with an American and a Serb (who actually described them as animals). The American guy went in search of a toilet (which he never found due to people sleeping in them) and came back saying he had witnessed people being robbed of money and passports as they slept. The Serb (who spoke perfect English and who it transpired was a very intelligent civil servant returning from holiday) considered these people less than human, which lead me to understand the hatred behind the civil war there some years later. It was a scary experience considering we were on the train for upwards of 12 hours but thankfully our 'visitors' got off before we did.
Now I'm sure that Montenegro is full of very nice decent people (it is certainly a beautiful country) but my only experience of being among them was one I wouldn't wish to repeat.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:04 pm

Hard to believe this happens in a part of the world that suffered so much from some of the worse ethnic’ cleansing’ since WW2. The culprits should be publicly named and shamed. What would they think about someone from Norway chanting at them because they have slightly olive skin colour. It’s pathetic and weak. Who gives one.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:11 pm

houseboy wrote:Point one: I'm not sure we will ever 'kick it out', it is human nature I think to criticise and denegrate 'others'. It may even die away to a degree if it wasn't made so much of. It may well be best (although I don't think it will happen) just to leave it because it is virtually impossible to police. I don't in any way agree with what happened but sometimes I think it's just better to brush it off and think of them as idiots.
Point two: It doesn't surprise me in the least that this happened. Some years ago I passed through Montenegro (when it was still part of Yugoslavia). We were on a train from Salonika to Belgrade and passing through this area the train was suddenly filled with hundreds of gypsy-like people who proceeded to climb onto baggage racks and into toilets to sleep. We were virtually trapped in a compartment with an American and a Serb (who actually described them as animals). The American guy went in search of a toilet (which he never found due to people sleeping in them) and came back saying he had witnessed people being robbed of money and passports as they slept. The Serb (who spoke perfect English and who it transpired was a very intelligent civil servant returning from holiday) considered these people less than human, which lead me to understand the hatred behind the civil war there some years later. It was a scary experience considering we were on the train for upwards of 12 hours but thankfully our 'visitors' got off before we did.
Now I'm sure that Montenegro is full of very nice decent people (it is certainly a beautiful country) but my only experience of being among them was one I wouldn't wish to repeat.
You can only go off your own experiences. And there are plenty of places I have been that came recommended that I wouldn't rush back to. And vice versa. Heard similar about Serbia, Montenegro etc before I went. Can honestly say of all the places I have been I love this region the most. The best people I have ever met in my case. Hospitable beyond belief. I have been to these countries more than anywhere else as a result.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:02 pm

houseboy wrote:Now I'm sure that Montenegro is full of very nice decent people (it is certainly a beautiful country) but my only experience of being among them was one I wouldn't wish to repeat.
Those don't sound like Montenegrins/ Serbs in my experience.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:03 pm

thatdberight wrote:Those don't sound like Montenegrins/ Serbs in my experience.
As I said it was a limited experience and I think they were gypsies of some kind. I can't comment about Montenegrans in general because unfortunately my only experience was with the people on the train. I think the other thing was the attitude of the Serb who, as I said, seemed to regard these people as subhuman. The war there caused me great sadness because it happened that we stayed with a woman and her daughter for a while in their apartment in Sarajevo, which was of course at the cventre of much of the attrocities. I often wonder what happened to them but alas I will never know.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:31 pm

houseboy wrote:As I said it was a limited experience and I think they were gypsies of some kind. I can't comment about Montenegrans in general because unfortunately my only experience was with the people on the train. I think the other thing was the attitude of the Serb who, as I said, seemed to regard these people as subhuman. The war there caused me great sadness because it happened that we stayed with a woman and her daughter for a while in their apartment in Sarajevo, which was of course at the cventre of much of the attrocities. I often wonder what happened to them but alas I will never know.
In my experience when I was there, the people many Serbs (and the Montenegrins who identify as/with Serbs) regarded in that light were Albanians, Roma and Muslims (and immigrants making their way across the Balkans). "The West" didn't rank much higher in their view but it was a different kind of dislike.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:20 pm

thatdberight wrote:In my experience when I was there, the people many Serbs (and the Montenegrins who identify as/with Serbs) regarded in that light were Albanians, Roma and Muslims (and immigrants making their way across the Balkans). "The West" didn't rank much higher in their view but it was a different kind of dislike.
Only some Montenegrins identify as serbs. Most don't. Although in the main its amicable.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:49 pm

thatdberight wrote:In my experience when I was there, the people many Serbs (and the Montenegrins who identify as/with Serbs) regarded in that light were Albanians, Roma and Muslims (and immigrants making their way across the Balkans). "The West" didn't rank much higher in their view but it was a different kind of dislike.
It was an odd country, Yugoslavia, made up it seemed of a whole variety of peoples, many of whom didn't like or trust each other. It was a minor miracle it was a country at all (which of course it subsequently ceased to be). The people on the train were possibly Romanies which may have been the cause of the Serbs dislike.
Memories of the country:
It was beautiful.
On arriving in Belgarde at about 7.30 in the morning we discovered people seemingly breakfasting on beer and a kind of beefburger thing (which we did eventually try and they were delicious).
Sarajevo really was one of the most beautiful cities I've been to.
Finding anyone who spoke English was like trying to find rocking horse sh!t. The main foreign languages seemed to be German (of which I know nothing) or Italian (which I can get by with as long as no-one actually wants a proper conversation).
I got very, very drunk on a campsite with an Austrian who introduced me to a white liquid (not vodka) that took a layer of skin off your throat and allowed me to think I could speak Serbo-Croat.
Happy days.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:36 pm

houseboy wrote:It was an odd country, Yugoslavia, made up it seemed of a whole variety of peoples, many of whom didn't like or trust each other. It was a minor miracle it was a country at all (which of course it subsequently ceased to be). The people on the train were possibly Romanies which may have been the cause of the Serbs dislike.
Memories of the country:
It was beautiful.
On arriving in Belgarde at about 7.30 in the morning we discovered people seemingly breakfasting on beer and a kind of beefburger thing (which we did eventually try and they were delicious).
Sarajevo really was one of the most beautiful cities I've been to.
Finding anyone who spoke English was like trying to find rocking horse sh!t. The main foreign languages seemed to be German (of which I know nothing) or Italian (which I can get by with as long as no-one actually wants a proper conversation).
I got very, very drunk on a campsite with an Austrian who introduced me to a white liquid (not vodka) that took a layer of skin off your throat and allowed me to think I could speak Serbo-Croat.
Happy days.
I've only visited since it was split up. It was a real mix of experiences from Slovenia (just as nice as Northern Italy but a fraction of the price) to unlovely Podgorica which I didn't get at all. I liked Belgrade but not Zagreb; adored Skopje - I visited since it started its mental statue building program. Of course, you only get a brief glimpse of places but I'd visit any of them again.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2143 times
Has Liked: 3060 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:15 pm

I mean, this could be a post ironically painting a whole area based on a few examples, but what would i know?
This user liked this post: thatdberight

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:41 pm

The answer has to be to keep identifying the spectators who are being rascist and ban them for life...CCTV technology is availabe to do this.Yes fine the club or country by all means if they are not seen to be taking action against the perpetrators.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:17 pm

houseboy wrote:
Happy days.
That would be Rakija.

Always does the job. Best i had was homemade in belgrade. More often than not you wont pay. They insist especially if homemade.

Picked this bottle up in Kosovo. Saving it for a special occasion :D in fact one of my mates is over from montenegro next week...
Attachments
Screenshot_20190328-201529_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190328-201529_Gallery.jpg (872.23 KiB) Viewed 2029 times

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:20 pm

thatdberight wrote:I've only visited since it was split up. It was a real mix of experiences from Slovenia (just as nice as Northern Italy but a fraction of the price) to unlovely Podgorica which I didn't get at all. I liked Belgrade but not Zagreb; adored Skopje - I visited since it started its mental statue building program. Of course, you only get a brief glimpse of places but I'd visit any of them again.
Im in a minority but I loved Podgorica. Not a beautiful city, especially by Balkans standards. But some great bars, restaurants and people.

Skopje i loved too but many I know dont.

Belgrades one of the best cities in the world. Absolutely love it. For similar reasons to podgorica over anything else. There are actually more beautiful cities (Novi Sad for example) and theres a lot of investment now down by the river.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:19 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:That would be Rakija.

Always does the job. Best i had was homemade in belgrade. More often than not you wont pay. They insist especially if homemade.

Picked this bottle up in Kosovo. Saving it for a special occasion :D in fact one of my mates is over from montenegro next week...
Cheers CFC (literally). That sounds about right and now you come to mention it I don't recall actually paying for any of it. I do remember it was possibly the most drunk I have ever been in my life. I'd been drinking cheap (very cheap) Yugoslav beer before I got talking to this Austrian guy and he suggested it. I walked back to my tent (don't know how I found it) and woke up the following morning with my head out the door surround by vomit (nice). Somehow amongst all of this I managed to exchange addresses with the guy on this one and only time I met him and we exchanged letters for a good few years - he became a doctor. Funny thing life ain't it?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:59 pm

houseboy wrote:Cheers CFC (literally). That sounds about right and now you come to mention it I don't recall actually paying for any of it. I do remember it was possibly the most drunk I have ever been in my life. I'd been drinking cheap (very cheap) Yugoslav beer before I got talking to this Austrian guy and he suggested it. I walked back to my tent (don't know how I found it) and woke up the following morning with my head out the door surround by vomit (nice). Somehow amongst all of this I managed to exchange addresses with the guy on this one and only time I met him and we exchanged letters for a good few years - he became a doctor. Funny thing life ain't it?
Powerful stuff especially the homemade plum rakija. That bottle of mine is from a shop so probably wont be as good. But at 49percent will help me sleep no doubt :D