Burnley to get a Starbucks

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Re: Burnley to get a Starbucks

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:05 pm

Also I thought the new site is going to be across from the former Lookers Volkswagen garage on the site that used to be a church, so its hardly going to impact on businesses in the actual town centre

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeGIFQXPfuk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:38 pm

Best c9ffee ive had in this country btw is atkinsons at lancaster. Can buy theirs online. Its great.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:42 pm

There’s a Tim Hortons in Bury, my lad likes the donuts which I’d say are about between a Krispy Kreme and a ( remarkably good) “ Blackpool “ donuts,mainly as they’re hot n fresh . It has the par U.K. service vaguely trying but “ don’t want to be here “ students and it felt as out of place as any US/Canadian franchise could be . To me they look like they should be in shopping centres as I couldn’t see them persuading any of the big chain fan boys away

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:54 pm

The Evian fans know that ‘evian’ spent backwards is ‘naive’
Evian is ok with me.

thomaspaine
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by thomaspaine » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:25 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Dont care what anyone says. You can definitely tell the difference with Evian.
Yeah you sure can when you compare the price to tap water!

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:36 pm

Do people still drink tap water? Jeezus . Fine for the kettle etc

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:31 pm

thomaspaine wrote:Yeah you sure can when you compare the price to tap water!
Try it. Pour a glass of water. And pour a glass of evian. And try them both.

Its not even remotely similar. Not that I dont drink tap water. Its fine. Up here at least. But its not the same.

Apart from Tea and Coffee I rarely drink anything other than lots of water. And you can definitely tell the difference. You can even tell the difference between other mineral waters like Buxton and Evian. Its all in The PH! Even more of a difference with spring water!

Evian has the most perfect or one of PH balances. Hence its popularity. And obviously marketing. Not doubting that.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:33 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:Do people still drink tap water? Jeezus . Fine for the kettle etc
I do drink it. But as above. Its almost a different thing to mineral or spring water.

A lad I know ended up with severe stomach issue. Big c. Doctor upon seeing where he was from suggested the tap water may be a contributing factor... wouldnt surprise me with rusty taps and how its treated. Not to mention what else is in it.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:50 pm

bumba wrote:Little Barista is run by a Turkish man and his girlfriend, the girl is local but to say local couple is a bit strange as Turkey isn't local!
Add to that it's crap
It could be wrong, but I was told that the Little Barista is actually owned by the bloke who used to run Rhode Island.

It's ok and better than Starbucks. The problem with Starbucks and to a lesser extent Little Barrista is that their coffee can taste bitter. The Starbuck's blend also has a bad ashen taste to it. Both of those qualities are a by product of using cheaper coffee beans. When you use cheaper coffee beans you have to subject them to a harsher roast that affects the oils and leads to an inferior flavour.

I don't mind the Costa Packet blend, but it can be hit and miss. Especially if you have a numpty who slings the cup under the nozzle off centre causing the crema to ooze down the side. Having to point it out and ask them to make it again can be a bit of an inconvenience for everyone.

The Burnley branch has also taken to placing their serviettes out of easy reach, which you need to use to pop under the legs of the tables on the uneven ground, the fiends.

The best way to get a good cuppa is to buy quality ground beans and make your own. First thing in my suitcase when I'm off travelling is one of my portable espresso makers and some quality beans, like the stove top Moka pots but electric.

They aren't perfect, but the end product is a lot better than the free swill in the hotel room and general shop bought faire.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:00 pm

thomaspaine wrote:Yeah you sure can when you compare the price to tap water!
It's not just the price. You have to factor in the environmental cost of shipping all those non degradable plastic bottles back and forth around the world to meet the manufactured demand.

Water of Life ........ oh the irony.

The Story of Bottled Water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se12y9hSOM0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:58 pm

Christ we have water ponces on here :D

You can't beat corporation pop.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health ... riety.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:14 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Has it ever occurred to you that people drink gin and coffee because they like the taste? Just because you might not like either doesn’t mean that others drink them to look ‘trendy’.

Both products are marketed more than they were in the past and as a result there are more varieties widely available. A similar thing happened with cider fairly recently. I’ve never seen someone drinking cider and thought they are trying to look trendy.

It’s weird how people seem threatened by things they don’t like but others do.
You’ve never seen someone drinking cider trying to look trendy? Never? Aye, ok then.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:18 pm

Foulthrow wrote:You’ve never seen someone drinking cider trying to look trendy? Never? Aye, ok then.
I give you White lightening

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:25 pm

tim_noone wrote:I give you White lightening
No ta. More of a Frosty Jacks man to be honest.

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:08 pm

If Tim Hortons ever came to England, I'd have faith in their training programmes to teach proper etiquette to their staff. Wait!!! It's England!!! You're right. But the best actual doughnuts are Krispy Kream, but their coffee is shiite. Timmy's now has a full range of meal options, which are actually quite good. I prefer their chili. The worst things are their chipotle buns, which they try to serve with almost everything. I usually decline the penalty.

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:22 pm

And did you know that Tim Horton was a real person? He played defence for the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Buffalo Sabres of the NHL. Had a few extra quid to throw around, so he started a doughnut shop on Ottawa Street in Hamilton, Ontario. People loved the coffee (which is actually standard fare Mother Parker's coffee), so he decided to franchise the business. One of the new franchisees was a guy named Ron Joyce, who soon became a partner. Joyce threw his heart and soul into the business. In the meantime, Tom killed himself while driving home to Buffalo after a game against the Leafs in Toronto. He drove off the road along the QEW at Lake Street in St. Catharines. I was sound asleep in my dormitory room at Brock University in St. Catharines when it happened.

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:23 pm

"Tom", of course, was "Tim".

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:41 pm

ontario claret wrote:And did you know that Tim Horton was a real person? He played defence for the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Buffalo Sabres of the NHL. Had a few extra quid to throw around, so he started a doughnut shop on Ottawa Street in Hamilton, Ontario. People loved the coffee (which is actually standard fare Mother Parker's coffee), so he decided to franchise the business. One of the new franchisees was a guy named Ron Joyce, who soon became a partner. Joyce threw his heart and soul into the business. In the meantime, Tom killed himself while driving home to Buffalo after a game against the Leafs in Toronto. He drove off the road along the QEW at Lake Street in St. Catharines. I was sound asleep in my dormitory room at Brock University in St. Catharines when it happened.
Have tou and PSTOTTO ever been seen in the same room together :D

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:45 am

ontario claret wrote:If Tim Hortons ever came to England, I'd have faith in their training programmes to teach proper etiquette to their staff. Wait!!! It's England!!! You're right. But the best actual doughnuts are Krispy Kream, but their coffee is shiite. Timmy's now has a full range of meal options, which are actually quite good. I prefer their chili. The worst things are their chipotle buns, which they try to serve with almost everything. I usually decline the penalty.

They already have come to England

brexit
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:52 am

hampsteadclaret wrote:They do very decent coffee in Continentals, and they are nice people in there.
Don't big up the continentals it is far too busy in there already and all the hipsters on this board will be heading there for the vegan falafel

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:27 pm

Sorry, Falcon. I haven't been to luxurious Bury recently.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:03 am

ontario claret wrote:Sorry, Falcon. I haven't been to luxurious Bury recently.
There is one in Altrincham as well 8-)

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:55 am

brexit wrote:Don't big up the continentals it is far too busy in there already and all the hipsters on this board will be heading there for the vegan falafel

As opposed to non-vegan meat falafel :roll:
This user liked this post: Dyched

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:00 pm

Falcon wrote:As opposed to non-vegan meat falafel :roll:
:lol: :lol: