Wood

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
Iloveyoubrady
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:30 am
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Wood

Postby Iloveyoubrady » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:21 am

Can’t see why some are so critical of him. Hes a constant goal threat, even if he doesn’t get involved in play so much and looses the ball a bit. His movement is good and generally he puts away his chances. He’s strong and quick and yesterday won a lot more than Barnes. Needs better service though...
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

# 2
evensteadiereddie
Posts: 4407
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:45 pm
Been Liked: 1313 times
Has Liked: 4062 times
Location: Staffordshire

Re: Wood

Postby evensteadiereddie » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:33 am

Wolves couldn't cope with him today - he made many important touches and runs, being creative as well as scoring. As good as.
This user liked this post: simonclaret

# 3
ClaretLoup
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:35 pm
Been Liked: 148 times
Has Liked: 87 times
Location: Retirement Home in Suffolk

Re: Wood

Postby ClaretLoup » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:39 am

Seems to be a confidence player. He got an early boost yesterday with his involvement in the goal so for the rest of the game his touch, movement and effort was good especially considering how little Burnley had the ball.

# 4
Colburn_Claret
Posts: 3289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:30 pm
Been Liked: 1313 times
Has Liked: 1801 times
Location: Catterick N.Yorks

Re: Wood

Postby Colburn_Claret » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:45 am

He wasnt good today, but it wasn't his fault. I've said many times before we have to play to his strengths, and hoofing the ball long doesn't do that.
We were **** first half of the season. Post Everton we got the ball on the deck, played triangles, got the ball into the corners, pulled the ball back from there, and mixed it up with some clever balls through the channels from Westwood. We did that and Barnes and Wood thrived.
Post Spurs and we've gone back to the rubbish before Xmas. It isn't Wood or Barnes fault, just the way it goes, but SD needs to give some time to showing replays of those post Everton games where we proved we can create chances, and take them, and stop this predictable long hoof crap.

# 5
Joe14
Posts: 821
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:43 pm
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 35 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Wood

Postby Joe14 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:55 am

At least the offside rule had finally been explained to him.
This user liked this post: Burnleyareback2

# 6
TVC15
Posts: 5069
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Re: Wood

Postby TVC15 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:01 am

Thought he was frustrating today.
Boli was a few inches bigger than Barnes but for most of the game we seemed to hit it long towards Barnes - either Wood should have swapped or we should have been aiming for Wood a lot more than we were.
I thought Barnes and Wood both tried hard today and they both also had some really good touches but generally both sets of centre backs were in control today.

Wood is definitely a confidence player and I agree a lot of the time we just don’t play to his strengths. He is far better at running the channels than you would expect for his size but we basically only have one player in Westwood who has the quality to put it in the right area. Lowton can do this and of course Trippier was brilliant at this with Ings.
We look such a better team when we play in this way - nobody is expecting us to play like Man City - nobody can - but we do have the ability to play nicer and more effective football than we often do.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

# 7
MRG
Posts: 863
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:13 am
Been Liked: 236 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Re: Wood

Postby MRG » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:01 am

I think people have a go at him because he has 1 good game in 5 and is totally anonymous is the other 4 games apart from being constantly offside.

Statistically the worse offender in the league for being offside which in turn often stops our attack

# 8
jdrobbo
Posts: 3371
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:01 pm
Been Liked: 1982 times
Has Liked: 495 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Wood

Postby jdrobbo » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:03 am

Excellent player. Held the ball well, wasn’t offside once and made that decisive run to get us in front.
These 2 users liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR SussexDon1inIreland

# 9
MDWat
Posts: 1295
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:42 pm
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 152 times
Location: Bradford
Contact:

Re: Wood

Postby MDWat » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:05 am

Thought he was good today. His run for the first goal was very clever, albeit it was a poor finish and we got a bit lucky but his run in McNeil’s goal is great too, creates the space for him to shoot into. I think he’d be better with a better partner.
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

# 10
MDWat
Posts: 1295
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:42 pm
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 152 times
Location: Bradford
Contact:

Re: Wood

Postby MDWat » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:05 am

jdrobbo wrote:Excellent player. Held the ball well, wasn’t offside once and made that decisive run to get us in front.


He was, in the 93rd minute (you’ll have missed it ;-)), just to annoy this board.

# 11
Steve1956
Posts: 5539
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 1598 times
Has Liked: 874 times
Location: Fife

Re: Wood

Postby Steve1956 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:58 am

MDWat wrote:He was, in the 93rd minute (you’ll have missed it ;-)), just to annoy this board.

93 rd minute?he would have been long gone by then :)

# 12
dougcollins
Posts: 1303
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:23 am
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 401 times
Location: Yarkshire

Re: Wood

Postby dougcollins » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:58 am

Nearer 91st tbh.

# 13
Funkydrummer
Posts: 4501
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Been Liked: 1657 times
Has Liked: 1047 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Wood

Postby Funkydrummer » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:05 am

I think everyone knows that I'm not his biggest fan, simply because his contribution to the overall game, IMO, is pretty negligible.

I will put it this way :- If, per chance, we were relegated, would you be concerned that we won't be able to hold on to him amid fears that other clubs, in the Premier league will be after his signature ?
This user liked this post: claretfern

# 14
claretspice
Posts: 4088
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:13 am
Been Liked: 1729 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Re: Wood

Postby claretspice » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:06 am

MDWat wrote:Thought he was good today. His run for the first goal was very clever, albeit it was a poor finish and we got a bit lucky but his run in McNeil’s goal is great too, creates the space for him to shoot into. I think he’d be better with a better partner.


I'd be very interested in seeing Wood paired with McNeil in behind him at some point before too long. Both goals yesterday showed they've got a pretty good understanding and on paper it's a decent combination in a 4-4-1-1.

As for Wood, he's a bit of a confidence player but he adds mobility and athleticism to our front line, and he makes good goalscoring runs. His link up play is a bit hit or miss but yesterday he was pretty good in that respect.

# 15
Bosscat
Posts: 3268
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am
Been Liked: 1011 times
Has Liked: 2565 times

Re: Wood

Postby Bosscat » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:12 am

I think Chris (or someone at BFC) must read this forum.....

Someone mentioned running a book on how many off sides Chris would be involved in... yesterday.

Not many I am surprised to add .... Innit Brilliant
This user liked this post: alwaysaclaret

# 16
Steve1956
Posts: 5539
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 1598 times
Has Liked: 874 times
Location: Fife

Re: Wood

Postby Steve1956 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:43 am

Bosscat wrote:I think Chris (or someone at BFC) must read this forum.....

Someone mentioned running a book on how many off sides Chris would be involved in... yesterday.

Not many I am surprised to add .... Innit Brilliant

The club reader of this forum Is Jeff Hendrick,hes mightly upset with quite a lot of you posters on here.

# 17
GodIsADeeJay81
Posts: 2435
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
Been Liked: 438 times
Has Liked: 1075 times

Re: Wood

Postby GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:48 am

Funkydrummer wrote:I think everyone knows that I'm not his biggest fan, simply because his contribution to the overall game, IMO, is pretty negligible.

I will put it this way :- If, per chance, we were relegated, would you be concerned that we won't be able to hold on to him amid fears that other clubs, in the Premier league will be after his signature ?


Yeah I'd be concerned.

Last season proved he can score given the service, 10 league goals in 24 league games incase you'd forgotten and he had a decent lay off through injury too.
We all thought he was great back then as well, now he's being picked apart by several on here typically.

This season he's not had the same service really, but 17 league goals to date in the PL would show he can find the back of the net, along with the other stuff he contributes.
There are definitely worse strikers in the PL then him.

# 18
Iloveyoubrady
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:30 am
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Re: Wood

Postby Iloveyoubrady » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:48 am

Funkydrummer wrote:
I will put it this way :- If, per chance, we were relegated, would you be concerned that we won't be able to hold on to him amid fears that other clubs, in the Premier league will be after his signature ?


I think other premier league clubs would definitely be after any of Wood, Barnes and even Vydra?

# 19
Colburn_Claret
Posts: 3289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:30 pm
Been Liked: 1313 times
Has Liked: 1801 times
Location: Catterick N.Yorks

Re: Wood

Postby Colburn_Claret » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:49 am

Funkydrummer wrote:I think everyone knows that I'm not his biggest fan, simply because his contribution to the overall game, IMO, is pretty negligible.

I will put it this way :- If, per chance, we were relegated, would you be concerned that we won't be able to hold on to him amid fears that other clubs, in the Premier league will be after his signature ?

When you look at how many goals Wood and Barnes score, compared to the amount of chances we create as a team, compared to most other teams in the Prem, then I think both of them would be sought after. Their conversion rate must be as high, if not higher, than any but the top, top strikers. In fact scratch that Salah misses loads of chances. If we played every week, as we played those games post Everton - pre Newcastle, they would get a hatful.
We play to our strengths, not Wood's, and our biggest need in the transfer window is someone to complement Westwood, or a fit Defour type to start playing football on the ground.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Tricky Trevor

# 20
andyh
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:27 am
Been Liked: 216 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Re: Wood

Postby andyh » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:10 pm

Iloveyoubrady wrote:I think other premier league clubs would definitely be after any of Wood, Barnes and even Vydra?

Brighton and Southampton and Cardiff and Huddersfield and Fulham (I know the last two will be in the Championship next season). Still that is a quarter odf this division.

# 21
KlyBfc
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:38 pm
Been Liked: 68 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Re: Wood

Postby KlyBfc » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:52 pm

He’s comfortably the best striker we have. For the last two seasons generally if he’s off form we don’t do well, last years winless run when he was injured and this year pre Christmas when he was off form goes to prove that. Hes offside a lot because he knows he isn’t rapid and needs to play on the edge to have a chance of getting in behind teams, there will no doubt be times he actually isn’t offside, and I’d rather this than him wait and never get in.

A portion of our fans will always knock him because he doesn’t have the get out of jail free card (much like Jeff and David Jones) of throwing himself about into opponents and tackles the likes of Barnes and Marney did.

# 22
Stayingup
Posts: 1583
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:02 pm
Been Liked: 255 times
Has Liked: 380 times

Re: Wood

Postby Stayingup » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:16 pm

claretspice wrote:I'd be very interested in seeing Wood paired with McNeil in behind him at some point before too long. Both goals yesterday showed they've got a pretty good understanding and on paper it's a decent combination in a 4-4-1-1.

As for Wood, he's a bit of a confidence player but he adds mobility and athleticism to our front line, and he makes good goalscoring runs. His link up play is a bit hit or miss but yesterday he was pretty good in that respect.


Yes he and McNeil have clicked at Brighton and there was almost a repeat of that move yesterday when Wood ran across the line opening the gap. But this time McNeil did the business. And how. We certainly need to re-assess what we are doing up front but badly need one or two midfield players with some guile and strength. I dread to think of us if Westwood got injured.

# 23
IanMcL
Posts: 13540
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 2646 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Re: Wood

Postby IanMcL » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:03 pm

He covered a lot more than usual, especially late on.

# 24
AlargeClaret
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:55 pm
Been Liked: 371 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Re: Wood

Postby AlargeClaret » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:05 pm

I’d have thought he’d be first in the close season clearout?

# 25
FactualFrank
Posts: 14370
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 3868 times
Has Liked: 6810 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Wood

Postby FactualFrank » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:06 pm

I guess I'll never get an apology from brain cell about me suggesting we sign him.

Along with Taylor he's been a successful signing and we wouldn't be in the Prem without them.

# 26
FactualFrank
Posts: 14370
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 3868 times
Has Liked: 6810 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Wood

Postby FactualFrank » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:07 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:I’d have thought he’d be first in the close season clearout?


If we go down, Leeds will be wanting him back. They'll be a division above.

# 27
dougcollins
Posts: 1303
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:23 am
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 401 times
Location: Yarkshire

Re: Wood

Postby dougcollins » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:22 pm

The offside thing. We've already lost at least one goal (Watford) and 2 points because the lino didn't give him the benefit.
That is the pay-off for being continually offside.

# 28
joey13
Posts: 4079
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:39 pm
Been Liked: 919 times
Has Liked: 762 times

Re: Wood

Postby joey13 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:24 pm

I can’t understand all the stick Wood gets on here , he’s the best striker at the club

# 29
conyoviejo
Posts: 3053
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:38 pm
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On the high seas chasing Pirates

Re: Wood

Postby conyoviejo » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:27 pm

Steve1956 wrote:The club reader of this forum Is Jeff Hendrick,hes mightly upset with quite a lot of you posters on here.



Well phook off then Jeff.. :D

# 30
CoolClaret
Posts: 893
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 7:39 pm
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 405 times

Re: Wood

Postby CoolClaret » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:07 pm

He's effectively a 1 in 3 striker at the PL level.

For a team of our standing - that's absolutely ******* brilliant.

Yes he gets caught offside - but his job is to run tee channels and get in behind - he's not playing with his back to goal and has to play on the edge (as he isn't as quick as say Andre Gray) to be successful.

If he didn't play on the edge he wouldn't have scored that goal that he contributed to yesterday (imo was his goal not an OG).

# 31
Blackrod
Posts: 3993
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:41 pm
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Re: Wood

Postby Blackrod » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:13 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:He wasnt good today, but it wasn't his fault. I've said many times before we have to play to his strengths, and hoofing the ball long doesn't do that.
We were **** first half of the season. Post Everton we got the ball on the deck, played triangles, got the ball into the corners, pulled the ball back from there, and mixed it up with some clever balls through the channels from Westwood. We did that and Barnes and Wood thrived.
Post Spurs and we've gone back to the rubbish before Xmas. It isn't Wood or Barnes fault, just the way it goes, but SD needs to give some time to showing replays of those post Everton games where we proved we can create chances, and take them, and stop this predictable long hoof crap.


This just about sums it up. Wood is best when we play it on the deck.

# 32
tarkys_ears
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:30 pm
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Re: Wood

Postby tarkys_ears » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:40 pm

Probably something to do with this

Image

# 33
FactualFrank
Posts: 14370
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 3868 times
Has Liked: 6810 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Wood

Postby FactualFrank » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:44 pm

Blackrod wrote:This just about sums it up. Wood is best when we play it on the deck.


Of course he is. That's why he played so well at Leeds as they often kept it on the deck. Vydra would be bloody brilliant with Wood, but it looks like Dyche doesn't rate our midfield and so wishes to bypass it with the longer ball.

I think we stay up, but come one Sean, let's move with the times.

# 34
Iloveyoubrady
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:30 am
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Re: Wood

Postby Iloveyoubrady » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:48 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Of course he is. That's why he played so well at Leeds as they often kept it on the deck. Vydra would be bloody brilliant with Wood, but it looks like Dyche doesn't rate our midfield and so wishes to bypass it with the longer ball.

I think we stay up, but come one Sean, let's move with the times.


100%. Imagine how we could play with the likes of McNeil,Brady, JBG, Vydra and wood with the ball ON THE FLOOR

# 35
Carport
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:24 am
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Re: Wood

Postby Carport » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:51 am

CoolClaret wrote:He's effectively a 1 in 3 striker at the PL level.

For a team of our standing - that's absolutely ******* brilliant.

Yes he gets caught offside - but his job is to run tee channels and get in behind - he's not playing with his back to goal and has to play on the edge (as he isn't as quick as say Andre Gray) to be successful.

If he didn't play on the edge he wouldn't have scored that goal that he contributed to yesterday (imo was his goal not an OG).


His shot hit the post so cant see how it could be given to him as a goal! If he had Barnes’ enthusiasm and less offsides he’d be better loved.


Return to “The Bee Hole End”