Out of contract players in the summer (ours)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Out of contract players in the summer (ours)

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:44 am

Info taken from this site

15 Peter Crouch Forward 2019
19 Jonathan Walters (loan to Ipswich) Forward 20/09/1983 1 0 2019
22 Anders Lindegaard Goalkeeper 13/04/1984 1+1 0 2019
23 Stephen Ward Defender 20/08/1985 10 0 2019+
26 Phil Bardsley Defender 28/06/1985 23 0 2019
32 Daniel Agyei Forward 06/02/1997 0 0 2019
36 Conor Mitchell (loan to Linfield) Goalkeeper 09/05/1996 0 0 2019
41 Aiden O’Neill 2019+

I expect Bardsley to extend and hopefully Agyei has done enough.

Releasing the others will free around 120k a week for new players.

I thought Lennon was out of contract but he has another year, it might be harder than people think to clear the decks.

taffy
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Re: Out of contract players in the summer (ours)

Post by taffy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:50 am

I expect crouch to sign an extension too

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:55 am

Conor Mitchell is a real talent need him to sign.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:08 am

taffy wrote:I expect crouch to sign an extension too
Is that an April fool taffy. :lol:

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:10 am

Bardsley another year

Not sure any of the rest are worth it, as Aygei has been here a while and doesn't look like he's going to break through.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:17 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Not sure any of the rest are worth it, as Aygei has been here a while and doesn't look like he's going to break through.
Only 22 and scores regular for the u23s.

When he came on at Bradford a few years ago in the friendly he looked a very exciting talent albeit in a short cameo role.

It would take all the other strikers getting injured before he got a game here though.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4835 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:36 am

In an effort to be ruthless, because that’s what I think we need to be, in order to move on, I would be looking to offload Bardsley. He has been absolutely fantastic this season, but Lowton is under contract and can be a fantastic Premier League fullback.

But what I’d like to see us do, is to buy a quality rightback, who will go into the first team as first choice. Doing this improves your squad!
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:43 am

jdrobbo wrote:In an effort to be ruthless, because that’s what I think we need to be, in order to move on, I would be looking to offload Bardsley. He has been absolutely fantastic this season, but Lowton is under contract and can be a fantastic Premier League fullback.

But what I’d like to see us do, is to buy a quality rightback, who will go into the first team as first choice. Doing this improves your squad!
Nixon reckons Derby want 7m for Bogle. We have had a bigger bid turned down already.

I'm not sure if he would step straight in though.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:45 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:I expect Bardsley to extend and hopefully Agyei has done enough.
Id expect Agyei to move on to be honest. He’s 22 now and needs to start playing first team football.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:54 am

We do need some fresh faces, the squad is too old, although the emergence of McNeil helps. you don't lose much skill as you age, but you certainly lose pace, and we are already a very slow team.
We've improved the squad massively over the last 4 years, now we need to make sure we improve the starting XI. If that requires letting some squad players go then anyone out of contract, not playing regular, or old has to be sacrificed for the good of the team. I would make an exception for Bards, as he's been outstanding, and brings so much more to the team than just a right back.
Fingers crossed the new recruitment team can deliver.

UTC

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:58 am

There is a decision to be made on our tactics before we splash out. We now have 4 wingers and only 1 is right- footed. Only 2 are what we need now. McNeil and Jbg. Id we can move lennon and brady on then we can bring in 2 new wingers one of which needs to be straight in on the right wing.

If we are stuck with brady and Lennon then we could get a new rb and let Bardsley go. I like lowton though so whilst ideal it is not THE priority.

However centre midfield is. Defour is a write off and we need to sort that. Cork imo can no longer start in a 2 man midfield, he is too slow including his thinking.

Westwood is a super sqaud member but we need to sign 2 starters for cm. Mooy for 1 imo.

As i don't think we would sign more than 3 starters tne other has to be a striker.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6744 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:08 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Id expect Agyei to move on to be honest. He’s 22 now and needs to start playing first team football.
To be fair he could have sat on the bench for the first team instead of Vydra. What difference would it make.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:09 pm

We certainly don't need another striker, we have Wood , Barnes and Vydra all more than capable, priority is to get someone on the pitch that can create chances.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:11 pm

As others have said we can't afford to be sentimental this summer. Bardsley has been great for us but with his age and our finances we really need to be looking to do better. With Lowton still under contract it's easier to let Bardsley go.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:41 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:We certainly don't need another striker, we have Wood , Barnes and Vydra all more than capable, priority is to get someone on the pitch that can create chances.
Even if we presume that Vydra may get a look in next season, 3 strikers still isn't enough. By the sound of it Agyei will be on his way so we have very limited options up front. The minimum we need is to replace Vokes, though not necessarily that style of player. And for me the most desperate need is as identified previously, 2 midfielders. At least one needs to be physical and pacey. If we can offload one of the injury prone wide players, then a replacement there also. I also think we will find ourselves looking for a keeper this summer, as Hart will go and I have a strong feeling that Pope won't want to sit on the bench at his stage of career. Given that Lindegaard is also out of contract, it may be 2 keepers needed...

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 348 times
Has Liked: 150 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:51 pm

I think Bardsley will get another year given he's played the majority of games this season, but then again the speculation with Bogle would suggest we're looking at changing that area. Lowton was great last season but was poor in the first half of the season (but then again, who wasn't?!).

A lot of the rest of the out of contract players are deadwood and should get released. We also need to be looking to move on Lennon and Defour if we can find any takers. I know there was talk Lennon going back to Leeds should they go up which would be a good move for both parties. Might well be Defour's last chance for that big pay day in some far flung corner of the world that his agent seems to keep touting in every window. In an ideal world we'd move Hart on to just to avoid the media circus.

I'm always optimistic going into a new window only to be let down by the lack of activity so I'm not pinning my hopes on a major overhaul but we definitely need a new CM who will be a starter - a young right and a young left back. If I'm greedy I'd up that to two CMs and a winger if we manage to shift Lennon out. I can't see us paying big money on a new striker but would like to see us utilise the loan market here and get someone in for a year and see how they do - start making use of Rigg's moneyball system!

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:57 pm

I'd go in for the young Millwall right back looks a decent prospect and looks better than Bogle from derby.

PWBFC
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by PWBFC » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:02 pm

Keep O’Neill and the rest can go for me. Agyei needs to be getting regular lower league football now.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:14 pm

jdrobbo wrote:In an effort to be ruthless, because that’s what I think we need to be, in order to move on, I would be looking to offload Bardsley. He has been absolutely fantastic this season, but Lowton is under contract and can be a fantastic Premier League fullback.

I tend to agree that right back would be a bit of a priority area. Bardsley has done a decent enough job, but he's limited (teams are already working us out a bit down the right without a real attacking option on that side) and of course he's getting towards the end of his days at this level. Lowton had an excellent 17/18 season but he's been incredibly disappointing this time round, so we need someone younger to at the very least provide competition in that department. Whether that means Bardsley goes, I'm not sure - apart from anything else, he's got history of playing at left back, so perhaps he can offer an alternative to Taylor for 12 months which can defer the need for further reinforcement in that position (although Lowton's struggles this season demonstrate the need to be wary of relying on Taylor to replicate this season's form, we do also have Gibson who can provide a stop gap option at left back should one be needed).

The striker position is an interesting one. My personal view is that I'd like to see McNeil given opportunities before long to play in behind the main striker (i.e. as it stands, Barnes or Wood), which would arguably mean that signing another striker might be a bit superfluous unless one of Vydra, Barnes or Wood moves on. It might make more sense to look for someone with pace who is comfortable playing both out wide in a 4-4-1-1 or through the middle to add another forward option (Adams would, of course, have added this option had we signed him in January).

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:16 pm

boatshed bill wrote:To be fair he could have sat on the bench for the first team instead of Vydra. What difference would it make.
Vydra has started some games and also been used as a sub. Big difference to having a young lad in the bench just for the sake of it.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:19 pm

On the subject of strikers - we’ve scored more goals this season than in any other Premier League season at this stage.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:19 pm

Walters has retired, I expect Crouch to retire.
Lindegaard, Agyei, Mitchell and O'Neill I'd expect to be released.
Bardsley give a 1 year deal, same for Ward on the thinking they are cover if we don't sign a new LB and RB but known we would look to sell if we did.

Don't get the clear the decks comment. We need a few new players, not an overhaul.
Definitely 1, maybe 2 CM and striker/forward who's more of a skill player, we have Vydra for pace and Barnes and Wood are probably considered target men for their power.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:29 pm

ClaretTony wrote:On the subject of strikers - we’ve scored more goals this season than in any other Premier League season at this stage.
Wood and Barnes have done all we can ask scoring goals but they need to do more in the game to warrant 2 forwards playing together.
The midfield get outnumbered every week to allow it.

If we could bring a quick CF who can play up top on his own then it would improve us massively in keeping the ball etc

But they're not cheap.

Otherwise it's a must we bring in a Viera type midfielder. Cork tries his best and is nowhere near as bad as some on here make out but he's not strong enough against 95% of the premier league midfielders I'm afraid. The amount of times I shout great tackle thinking Cork has won the ball but the opposition still come away with it is quite high.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Wood and Barnes have done all we can ask scoring goals but they need to do more in the game to warrant 2 forwards playing together.
The midfield get outnumbered every week to allow it.

If we could bring a quick CF who can play up top on his own then it would improve us massively in keeping the ball etc

But they're not cheap.

Otherwise it's a must we bring in a Viera type midfielder. Cork tries his best and is nowhere near as bad as some on here make out but he's not strong enough against 95% of the premier league midfielders I'm afraid. The amount of times I shout great tackle thinking Cork has won the ball but the opposition still come away with it is quite high.
Totally agree on the CM requirements. Just surprising that we are scoring more goals this season.

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:02 pm

Wardy has been a fantastic servant but still lives in the Midlands. Rumour is he is looking at 2 years and nearer home

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:03 pm

You know what wages he's on I take it?

Massive apologies Spike, i thought for some reason you were on about Vardy!

Christ, must learn to read better

Not sure he's worth another deal to be honest, though he's been terrific for us.
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:23 pm

Spike wrote:Wardy has been a fantastic servant but still lives in the Midlands. Rumour is he is looking at 2 years and nearer home
Stephen Ward - an underwhelming signing in 2014 but what an important player he proved to be for us. He lives in Birmingham area, stays with Jeff Hendrick when he's up here.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:46 pm

No sentiments
If we are serious about improving our starting eleven (not squad) for next season then all senior players on this list should be let go
We also have to find better players than Cork and Defour, one wide man with pace and a striker who will start instead of any of our current options
Younger, potential players should be sort for cover at both full back positions

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1992 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:07 pm

Keepers, we are fine. Two will stay, Hart +1 will leave.
FBs Lowton, Bardsley, Taylor to stay. Unless Koiki is ready we need cover for Taylor.
MF. Cork appears spent, need a powerhouse ball winner who drives others on(a la Marney, Barton) to partner Westwood, who has been a revelation.
Wide. McNeil was this years Xmas present. JBG, Brady to stay. Lennon to be replaced.
Striker. JRod has looked good for Baggies, no injuries and he floats over the ground compared to our two warhorses. Sign him.

In all a cover for LB, a ball winner, a RWinger & JRod.

PS I’ve seen Bogle, a few times on tv, and never been impressed. Holmes would be a far better buy but they are both a bit wee for an SD defence. Tripps only got in because of his class but Sean likes big fellas.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:39 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:We certainly don't need another striker, we have Wood , Barnes and Vydra all more than capable, priority is to get someone on the pitch that can create chances.
We do

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3436 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:48 pm

If we didn't get Jay for £20 million last summer, not sure why anyone thinks we will get him this summer, especially as Gayle is only there on loan.

Plus he is 30 in the summer, not exactly bringing down the squad age which some are prioritising..

Malvern claret
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Malvern claret » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:30 pm

Would be surprised if Agyei will be with us next year. With Crouch not on the bench against Wolves SD chose to go with a 3rd defender as a sub rather than select Agyei as a sub. Suggests he will not feature at all.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6744 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:14 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Vydra has started some games and also been used as a sub. Big difference to having a young lad in the bench just for the sake of it.
It was tongue in cheek, CT ;)

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11035 times
Has Liked: 5648 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:18 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Nixon reckons Derby want 7m for Bogle. We have had a bigger bid turned down already.

I'm not sure if he would step straight in though.
anytime I've seen Bogle (granted only on the TV) he's been absolute turd

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:16 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:anytime I've seen Bogle (granted only on the TV) he's been absolute turd
Same here.

Reminds a bit of a Darikwa type RB, although maybe young enough to develop, but do we have that time.

Id much rather we signed a first choice RB, as Lowton is adequate cover IMO.

A minimum of 3 first teamers required I think, but we very rarely sign first teamers, and if we do, they never seem to go straight in.

KeighleyClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by KeighleyClaret » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:40 pm

We won't sell Defour without demonstrating he is fit, given his record over the last 2 seasons. And if he is fit, I'd much rather he stays. He was the difference in the first half of last season, and we have really missed him this season. Arguably the most talented player we have had at Burnley since the 1970's.
This user liked this post: DCWat

taffy
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by taffy » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:03 pm

Hasn't defour signed an extension earlier this season, can't see him going anywhere. I still think he will offer crouch a longer contract, crouch is the striker he turns to when we need a goal but we definitely need a new forward and a cm

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:41 pm

KeighleyClaret wrote:We won't sell Defour without demonstrating he is fit, given his record over the last 2 seasons. And if he is fit, I'd much rather he stays. He was the difference in the first half of last season, and we have really missed him this season. Arguably the most talented player we have had at Burnley since the 1970's.
It will be interesting to see if we're willing to do a deal on Defour's contract to get him off the books - I guess that will depend on how likely we think it is he'll ultimately play a full role next season.

A for right backs, if we've been assured of one thing in Dyche's time here, it's that he can spot a defender, and make them better. If he thinks Bogle is the man, then fine by me (the name that immediately occurred to me as the sort of player we might be interested in was Mason Holgate, who appears to be doing quite well at West Brom in the Championship, and appears to be down the pecking order at Everton, especially if their rumoured interest in Trippier is correct - but Bogle appears to be of a similar sort of ilk).

burnmark
Been Liked: 602 times
Has Liked: 477 times

Post by burnmark » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:08 pm

Agyei offered a new deal

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/new ... tI.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:32 pm

burnmark wrote:Agyei offered a new deal

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/new ... tI.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great news for the lad.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:46 pm

The thing is with a player like Defour, he's that good we could potentially win a couple of games we might not otherwise do so, thus making a big difference to our season.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:03 pm

Spijed wrote:The thing is with a player like Defour, he's that good we could potentially win a couple of games we might not otherwise do so, thus making a big difference to our season.
We can do better than Defour now (if we stay up)

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:13 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:We can do better than Defour now (if we stay up)
And how much do players of his ability cost?

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:22 pm

Spijed wrote:And how much do players of his ability cost?
No point having ability sitting in the stands. We could pick up any one of a dozen midfielders playing in Spain, France or Germany for 10-20 million - Huddersfield will easily ask 15-20 for Mooy or Billing. Defour is good of course he is, he's no World class player though.

edit: and I'll add there is no guarantee he will be anywhere near the player he was pre-injury when/if he ever comes back

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:08 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:No point having ability sitting in the stands. We could pick up any one of a dozen midfielders playing in Spain, France or Germany for 10-20 million - Huddersfield will easily ask 15-20 for Mooy or Billing. Defour is good of course he is, he's no World class player though.

edit: and I'll add there is no guarantee he will be anywhere near the player he was pre-injury when/if he ever comes back
Look at his career stats, he has made around 330 club appearances in 15 years. So consistently he averages half a season on the pitch and half sat in the stands. No one should be surprised that he has made 50 appearances in 3 seasons for us and the mind boggles why we extended his contract. Say he is on 40k a week, 3 years is just over 6m in wages, or 125k per appearance. So when we say we don't pay big wages......

And of those, many games he doesn't last 90 minutes do the figures look even worse if you work it out per actual 90 minutes played. A massively expensive liability in my opinion.
These 2 users liked this post: Vegas Claret tiger76

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:37 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:Look at his career stats, he has made around 330 club appearances in 15 years. So consistently he averages half a season on the pitch and half sat in the stands. No one should be surprised that he has made 50 appearances in 3 seasons for us and the mind boggles why we extended his contract. Say he is on 40k a week, 3 years is just over 6m in wages, or 125k per appearance. So when we say we don't pay big wages......

And of those, many games he doesn't last 90 minutes do the figures look even worse if you work it out per actual 90 minutes played. A massively expensive liability in my opinion.
didn't realise it was THAT bad

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:51 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:Look at his career stats, he has made around 330 club appearances in 15 years. So consistently he averages half a season on the pitch and half sat in the stands. No one should be surprised that he has made 50 appearances in 3 seasons for us and the mind boggles why we extended his contract. Say he is on 40k a week, 3 years is just over 6m in wages, or 125k per appearance. So when we say we don't pay big wages......

If we're relying on Defour to play more than 10 games next season we're in trouble,i'd cash in this summer if there is interest,be it from China or elsewhere,if him being on the books is used as a reason not to purchase a CM in the next window i'll be annoyed.

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:43 am

Vegas Claret wrote:didn't realise it was THAT bad
My figures are a bit out as he must have joined his first club at 14! But the costs to Burnley are under estimated as he is on 45k a week. So you can add another 750k to the total cost which brings the cost per game even higher.