Players—Fans

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Players—Fans

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:53 am

The line needs enforcing between players and fans. Quite rightly fans are being dragged into the courts for encroachment but nothing is done about players standing in front of opposition supporters goading them. This, to me, is incitement and should be punished.
Scott Brown after the Old Firm game is the latest high profile case but this is happening every weekend. Celebrate a goal with your teammates and get back in your own half.
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Re: Players—Fans

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:55 am

But provoking someone isn't a crime. Its up to the provoked to be mature enough not to react.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:57 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:The line needs enforcing between players and fans. Quite rightly fans are being dragged into the courts for encroachment but nothing is done about players standing in front of opposition supporters goading them. This, to me, is incitement and should be punished.
Scott Brown after the Old Firm game is the latest high profile case but this is happening every weekend. Celebrate a goal with your teammates and get back in your own half.
What if they are celebrating in front of opposition fans is in response to abuse they have been getting from the stands? Pretty much a chicken and egg sort of scenario which could end up with ridiculous amounts of people being prosecuted.

Banter / abuse of the opposition and their players is part of the game and IMO so to is the players right to react with a fist pump or jeer back when they score or win. What is not acceptable is a fan running onto the pitch and physically assaulting someone because they can't handle it.
Last edited by Goobs on Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by fidelcastro » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:57 am

How much of a wuss must you be to be unable to control your emotions when a player celebrates a goal in front of you?
These 3 users liked this post: Goobs Bosscat nyclaret

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:The line needs enforcing between players and fans. Quite rightly fans are being dragged into the courts for encroachment but nothing is done about players standing in front of opposition supporters goading them. This, to me, is incitement and should be punished.
Football fans goad each other ...
Football fans boo rival players for varying reasons ...
Football fans are downright evil if they perceive a weakness or a rival player has a problem ...
Footballers goad rival fans ...
Its always gone on and always will ...

Assault is a different matter and to encroach on the field of play to assault or even just confront a player is totally wrong and should be punished accordingly.

But if a player is given stick from the stands by opposing fans... said fans shouldn't take offence ..... if that player responds back in kind.

I remember ex Rover Colin Hendry being given some stick at Turf Moor, and he turned his back to the crowd and pulled his shorts up tight between his butt cheeks (giving the old Scottish salute of bearing his buttocks)
Bending over and wiggling his backside........ :D
Everyone laughed and at the end of the match he was given the biggest cheer and we sang "Theres only one Colin Hendry" as he walked off waving to all 4 sides of the ground.....
Now thats the way to deal with stuff

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:14 pm

Bosscat wrote:Football fans goad each other ...
Football fans boo rival players for varying reasons ...
Football fans are downright evil if they perceive a weakness or a rival player has a problem ...
Footballers goad rival fans ...
Its always gone on and always will ...

Assault is a different matter and to encroach on the field of play to assault or even just confront a player is totally wrong and should be punished accordingly.

But if a player is given stick from the stands by opposing fans... said fans shouldn't take offence ..... if that player responds back in kind.

I remember ex Rover Colin Hendry being given some stick at Turf Moor, and he turned his back to the crowd and pulled his shorts up tight between his butt cheeks (giving the old Scottish salute of bearing his buttocks)
Bending over and wiggling his backside........ :D
Everyone laughed and at the end of the match he was given the biggest cheer and we sang "Theres only one Colin Hendry" as he walked off waving to all 4 sides of the ground.....
Now thats the way to deal with stuff
I don't remember the crowd singing Colin Hendrys name after the City FA cup game?

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by fidelcastro » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:17 pm

They were, but it wasn't that song!

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:35 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:But provoking someone isn't a crime. Its up to the provoked to be mature enough not to react.
Provocation can be a crime. It's called incitement and the OP mentions it specifically.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:12 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:But provoking someone isn't a crime. Its up to the provoked to be mature enough not to react.
I’ve seen people arrested years ago for standing at the coaches and goading away fans and not moving on. What’s the difference?

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:00 pm

Players and fans should grow up.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:32 pm

As if football stadia aren’t sanitised enough already ! Let’s face it some Prem games and ground are closer in atmosphere to a Disney show . It’s the more “ tastier” games that make the game what it is and an opposing player giving a cupped ear or a cheeky gesture after receiving terrible stick is fine by me .

Pitch encroachment is entirely different and should be dealt with by huge fines 10k for example for anyone stepping onto the field of play when a match is on

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 965 times

Post by MrTopTier » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Fans go to games and say all manner of things and that’s deeemed as banter or taking the **** etc, but as soon as player does it it’s incitement, bit rich that, don’t you think.
Be interesting to see what you thought of the incident involving Kean at Juventus last night.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:16 pm

If id scored against my rivals id be in the nearest corner to their fans cupping my ears.

**** em
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat MrTopTier

Ptangyangkipperbang
Been Liked: 195 times
Has Liked: 272 times

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:42 pm

Remember Mickey Mellon getting dogs abuse from Blackpool fans for 80 mins then after scoring at the Jimmy Mac end ran backwards pointing to his name on the back of his shirt winding them up.On the radio Lanlancs phone in after the game Blackpool fans were calling him a disgrace and said he could have incited a riot
This user liked this post: MrTopTier

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:15 pm

When has a p1ssed up football crowd ever been mature?
These guys take dogs abuse every week. They are paid a lot of money to ignore all that and get on with the game. As I said in the OP celebrate with your team.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:46 pm

So if someone earns more money than me or has more money than me it’s ok for me to abuse them. Also take it you think that anyone with less money than you should be free to give you dogs abuse for no other reason?

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:42 pm

Darnhill Claret wrote:So if someone earns more money than me or has more money than me it’s ok for me to abuse them. Also take it you think that anyone with less money than you should be free to give you dogs abuse for no other reason?
It's only a form of panto.
They stay on the pitch, we stay off it...no problem.
(apart, that is, from the racist stuff which goes beyond what is acceptable.)