Under 9’s School Football

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
JamesSherbourne
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Under 9’s School Football

Post by JamesSherbourne » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:12 pm

Anyone else have experience with kids football ?

My lad ( 8 ) is extremely keen and plays for his school team every Tuesday & trains Every Wednesday.

The behaviour of some of the coaches & parents is an absolute disgrace. The teams made up of mixed abilities and some of the treatment of the slightly less talented players is awful, shouting at them to the point of tears.

I want the kids & my lad to enjoy there football - It’s meant to be fun but with there’s a real risk of kids starting to resent it & no doubt returning to more XBox & PlayStation.

Have any other Parents or Grandparents experiences similar watching there kids ?

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3171 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Re: Under 9’s School Football

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:27 pm

I’m involved in grassroots football and coach an u9 team.

Locally we play teams of similar abilities but unfortunately it happens too often and you get coaches & parents that have a “win at all costs” mentality.

We played a team recently that were physical and the parents were telling my players not to be “so soft” when they were obviously hurt.
This user liked this post: JamesSherbourne

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:33 pm

Yep, I had an experience last week where in a kids footy game I saw both parents and a player swear at the referee.
I saw a child kick the ball at the referee after a decision went against him ( it hit the ref on the back and got a big cheer from several of the parents and most of the kids playing )

Now granted it was a cup final, and this particular team usually win everything it was still no excuse.

Why anyone would take up refereeing at that level I'll never know, what a horrible experience.

I said wow, i didnt expect this, and a lad I was stood next to said "this happens on a weekly basis, no doubt up and down the country"

These were high school kids, I can't imagine what Sunday league has turned into.

I'm just glad my lad switched sports at 9, and I've not had my last 4 years of weekends listening and watching that behaviour.

Some parents are worse than the kids and there not the ones playing, what an example to set!

JamesSherbourne
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Post by JamesSherbourne » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:35 pm

I’m starting to not like going to watch, it’s got that bad. I want the school & especially my lad to do well, I’m fiercely competitive but there’s a time and place & surely at 8 it’s about coaching, praising & encouragement
These 2 users liked this post: thomaspaine wilks_bfc

Claretpants
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by Claretpants » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:43 pm

Ran son’s team from U10 to U16 and experienced parents fighting/game abandoned/police called to insure safety of players and parents at full time

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:44 pm

JamesSherbourne wrote:I’m starting to not like going to watch, it’s got that bad. I want the school & especially my lad to do well, I’m fiercely competitive but there’s a time and place & surely at 8 it’s about coaching, praising & encouragement
At 8.... It's about enjoying yourself and having fun with your mates.life in general :D

fanzone
Been Liked: 226 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:44 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:I’m involved in grassroots football and coach an u9 team.

Locally we play teams of similar abilities but unfortunately it happens too often and you get coaches & parents that have a “win at all costs” mentality.

We played a team recently that were physical and the parents were telling my players not to be “so soft” when they were obviously hurt.
I am also a coach of a local under 9s team, IV taken the team from under 7s and can honestly say from my own parents IV had 0 derogatory comments towards a player, opponent or a referee. Iv played one game where the opposing coach was vocal to the point he were loud and I imagine scary to 7-8 year olds but 1 in 100 games on the grand scheme of things isn't bad when you read some of the horror storys

thomaspaine
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by thomaspaine » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:44 pm

JamesSherbourne wrote:I’m starting to not like going to watch, it’s got that bad. I want the school & especially my lad to do well, I’m fiercely competitive but there’s a time and place & surely at 8 it’s about coaching, praising & encouragement
Exactly - I coached football for many years and would always remind Parents to be positive and encourage at all times. I would tell them at games and training that if they couldnt find anything positive to say then best to keep quiet and leave coaching to the coaches.

Claretpants
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by Claretpants » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:48 pm

thomaspaine wrote:Exactly - I coached football for many years and would always remind Parents to be positive and encourage at all times. I would tell them at games and training that if they couldnt find anything positive to say then best to keep quiet and leave coaching to the coaches.
I had a similar talk with parents and they were fantastic with all the players not just their son and the players were a credit to themselves and their parents-sadly the majority of other teams didn’t conduct themselves likewise!

beddie
Been Liked: 1384 times
Has Liked: 512 times

Post by beddie » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:00 pm

One of the things my son introduced from the outset at school football games for all age groups was to hold meetings for children's parents about the behaviour expected from those parents and children, they were told about the impact it could have on their child to hear and receive negative and expletive comments. They were also told they should respect decisions made by referee's. There were many positives explained to parents within those meetings. The end result is that all their age groups both in training and league games actually show respect to each other, on the odd ocassion where a parent has said something out of turn they have been reprimanded by other parents. The area in question is predominantly working class in the north east, they didn't hold back. The difference is a complete turn around. It's the parents that require educating. :roll:

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:08 pm

Never witnessed this in school football ( from sink estate junior school to “ posh school”) As for grassroots the top teams and local rivalry type derbies can on the odd occasion get a bit lively with parents from the u11 ish kinda age group . By far the worst culprits are managers though I’ve seen refs abused quite badly ,and once in a Salford ( rough as you could ever get) cup final u11 the manager took his team off in a huge huff and went home after a pen was awarded for one of his own players calling the ref a “ ******* ******”

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:10 pm

JamesSherbourne wrote:Anyone else have experience with kids football ?

My lad ( 8 ) is extremely keen and plays for his school team every Tuesday & trains Every Wednesday.

The behaviour of some of the coaches & parents is an absolute disgrace. The teams made up of mixed abilities and some of the treatment of the slightly less talented players is awful, shouting at them to the point of tears.

I want the kids & my lad to enjoy there football - It’s meant to be fun but with there’s a real risk of kids starting to resent it & no doubt returning to more XBox & PlayStation.

Have any other Parents or Grandparents experiences similar watching there kids ?
My play U12s and U10s.

About half the coaches and teams are spot on, the other half vary from slight over eagerness to win to full on nutters who verbally attack parents who are running the line.

Thinking of pulling my lad out of U10s because the man who runs the whole set up for his team shouldn't be working in anything to do with kids football.

But it is great fun when it all runs ok.

And both kids love it.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:21 pm

I must add that whenever my lad played in Liverpool ( usually tournaments ) the parents were often mouthy and dismissive and some of the managers literally standing half way into the pitch during games and blatantly ignoring refs , though they werent happy a team of mancs won their big tourney every year ! They’d moan soon as we arrived “ these are academy players yak yak yak” etc etc . Last year they had a truly sozzled chain smoking Peter Reed doing the trophies
This user liked this post: Bop

fanzone

Post by fanzone » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:28 pm

Be interesting to see who coaches which teams.

I'm Burnley Town Black under 9s

J50
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by J50 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:28 pm

Had experience of this from U6 upwards. Its ********. Feltham Youth U7s were the worst, and teams refused to play them... Manager was ****, kids used to hack people, elbows in the face etc. Parents were ****. Saw lots of crap and so glad he gave up playing by U13s.

Different at son's school - which admittedly is private SW London. They're not allowed to ask the referee anything or question a decision, and they don't, they just get on with it. Parents are fine. Opposition parents less so, especially when they have to play state schools. Though my son did nearly get sent off once when he called for a red card after a clear red card challenge... RED CARD REF FFS... seemed fair to me but not the coach. Playing at Eton the parents and coach were quite vocal and the coach near him (he's GK) kept coming 5 metres onto the pitch (U13s)... son had a word with the ref who sorted the coach out which was amusing.

Overall kid's football in this country is a nightmare. There are good initiatives to improve things but there is a long way to go.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:29 pm

They'd have been better with his namesake Peter Reid the old city manager.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2289 times

Post by basil6345789 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:29 pm

Grandson is with Fulledge Colts, who have their beliefs and principles. The objective is for all kids to enjoy themselves. No-one challenges or shouts at the ref - he's the one who sorts it all out.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret wilks_bfc

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani
Been Liked: 212 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:15 pm

Without a shadow of doubt it's the manager who is to blame , players and parents follow their lead , it's disgraceful that these people are able to coach young children , I have coached for 8 years and am sick of it !
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani wrote:Without a shadow of doubt it's the manager who is to blame , players and parents follow their lead , it's disgraceful that these people are able to coach young children , I have coached for 8 years and am sick of it !
Disagree. I've seen plenty of good people who are managers and they put up with sh1thouse parents so the kids of the sh1thouse parents can do something they love doing. There are loads of good people involved in junior football. Just make sure your philosophy is aligned to the Club that you choose to be associated with.

UTC!

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:31 pm

Duffer_ wrote:Disagree. I've seen plenty of good people who are managers and they put up with sh1thouse parents so the kids of the sh1thouse parents can do something they love doing. There are loads of good people involved in junior football. Just make sure your philosophy is aligned to the Club that you choose to be associated with.

UTC!
Thats fair as well, but the manager can talk to the parents about their behaviour, and under the FA code they are supposed to.

But I do 100% appreciate that the vast majority do it for the love of the game and the love of teaching kids, so I do cut them a load of slack.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:12 pm

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani wrote:Without a shadow of doubt it's the manager who is to blame , players and parents follow their lead , it's disgraceful that these people are able to coach young children , I have coached for 8 years and am sick of it !
I got fed up with it after about 3 years of coaching too.

Very time consuming
Lazy parents thinking it's a creche
No refs
Rubbish pitches
Rubbish rules brought in
Hassle off parents who should/shouldn't play
Club use kids as cash cows
A LOT of dodgy clubs/people on the scrounge all the time
Pushy parents whos kid is the next Messi, and bore you to death with what he's done every week.

Been there, done it, won all there was to win and I still got fed up and bored.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3844 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:22 pm

I have put my lad in with a team below his level as the team are run properly. They get beat every week but the lads all enjoy it.
This user liked this post: Billy Balfour

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:59 pm

Duffer_ wrote:Disagree. I've seen plenty of good people who are managers and they put up with sh1thouse parents so the kids of the sh1thouse parents can do something they love doing. There are loads of good people involved in junior football. Just make sure your philosophy is aligned to the Club that you choose to be associated with.

UTC!
It was the teams and parents we have played against , there are some good coaches out there and the respect is slowly improving

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:01 pm

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani wrote:It was the teams and parents we have played against , there are some good coaches out there and the respect is slowly improving
My biggest bugbear with junior football is the entitled folk who pay £15 a month subs and expect a Premier League experience. They do sweet fa to help and are often the first to criticise those that give of their time freely. Respect goes further than the bare minimum of touchline behaviour.

UTC!

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:15 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:I have put my lad in with a team below his level as the team are run properly. They get beat every week but the lads all enjoy it.
Similar story here, let the young en move from a team that wins everything to play for a side who were a few leagues below as I knew the manager and how he coached. He went there and got put in a position he had never played in as he was a better player than most the other lads there and could control the game for them a bit. He absolutely loves playing again and has made more mates for life within a season than he did playing for the other side for a number of seasons. He’s also loved the challenge of trying to help get his new team back up the leagues too but with a smile on his face.

At u14 though now, with his new side going back up the leagues it’s clear that the better leagues he plays in the more serious kids/parents/coaches take it and abuse levels increase as they are playing better teams.

Played a team at the weekend who had a coach threatening his manager because of an offside call and shouting abuse at him on the side line for a decision at the other end of the pitch :lol:
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:17 pm

Strangely though, whenever he has played against teams from Blackburn there are certain sides you know will just try and kick their way through a game and it has happened for a number of seasons so that must come from the coaches.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:23 pm

From what I've seen a lot of the hassle comes from pushy parents who think their little smasher is going to be the next Kevin De Bruyne. Watching their kid play with pound notes in their eyes. They lose interest when they realise that their child is no footballing prodigy. I feel sorry for the kids. They want to continue with mid-week training and weekend games.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:57 pm

My little boy, Vito (9) IS the new Messi.

We have Barcelona, Espanyol, Girona and every club in Spain trying to sign him but we are staying with the local club until he's 13.

I used to shout from the sidelines when he was younger but it did more harm than good so now I go for a walk during the games to let him get on with it.

I'd love to be able to keep me trap shut but I can't so I go and have a coffee and my wife sends me the score by whatsapp, once he's scored three or four I come back and enjoy the rest of the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzXu6zXShaM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:07 pm

MACCA wrote:I got fed up with it after about 3 years of coaching too.

Very time consuming
Lazy parents thinking it's a creche
No refs
Rubbish pitches
Rubbish rules brought in
Hassle off parents who should/shouldn't play
Club use kids as cash cows
A LOT of dodgy clubs/people on the scrounge all the time
Pushy parents whos kid is the next Messi, and bore you to death with what he's done every week.

Been there, done it, won all there was to win and I still got fed up and bored.
I took on a U11 side after they were dumped by their previous manager. Done the FA coaching badge. I think this season is going to be my last for some of the reasons Macca gave.

Time consuming
Lazy parents
Shortage of players. You get a group who are mates, fall out and 3 leave because of it.
And I have 3 or 4 players at age 13 who have zero ability and a couple of them can add minimal effort to their lack of ability. It's demoralizing for the 6 or 7 players who are half decent getting stuffed week after week as we are forced to play the zero ability kids due to lack of numbers.
We have a match planned this Sunday, I have 6 players. Time to let someone else have a go. Though we have had very little in the way of trouble with other teams or players as others seem to have.

fanzone

Post by fanzone » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:59 am

Herts Clarets wrote:I took on a U11 side after they were dumped by their previous manager. Done the FA coaching badge. I think this season is going to be my last for some of the reasons Macca gave.

Time consuming
Lazy parents
Shortage of players. You get a group who are mates, fall out and 3 leave because of it.
And I have 3 or 4 players at age 13 who have zero ability and a couple of them can add minimal effort to their lack of ability. It's demoralizing for the 6 or 7 players who are half decent getting stuffed week after week as we are forced to play the zero ability kids due to lack of numbers.
We have a match planned this Sunday, I have 6 players. Time to let someone else have a go. Though we have had very little in the way of trouble with other teams or players as others seem to have.

Wouldn't it be best to try and push the 6 or 7 committed lads on and build a team from them instead of giving up. The lads that are no shows or lack effort just say thanks but no thanks, at the age of 13 I can guarantee if it were the school football team players with no ability no effort or commitment will be told directly from the PE teacher your not playing.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:38 am

fanzone wrote:Wouldn't it be best to try and push the 6 or 7 committed lads on and build a team from them instead of giving up. The lads that are no shows or lack effort just say thanks but no thanks, at the age of 13 I can guarantee if it were the school football team players with no ability no effort or commitment will be told directly from the PE teacher your not playing.
It all depends if his motivation is because his son plays, or purely volunteering. If it's the later, no one should push them "6 or 7" if it has become a chore, and there's those "6 or 7" kids parents not lifting a finger ( lazy parents ) that could take over.

Guarantee 90% ( probably more ) of coaches do it purely as their son plays, or they want they want to push their son into fame, or it's a guarantee way to get their son in the team.
No one starts purely to bring kids on, keep them off the streets and for the fun of it, so therefore if it becomes a chore and starts to impact/overtake your life it is time to walk away. There are ripples of being a football coach with a young family, and it's how quick you see those ripples.

It may take 3 seasons, it may take 10, but eventually the majority will wake up and think enough is enough, and realise it was a massive waste of time.

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:40 am

bfccrazy wrote:Strangely though, whenever he has played against teams from Blackburn there are certain sides you know will just try and kick their way through a game and it has happened for a number of seasons so that must come from the coaches.
Over the last 8 years it's always the blackburn teams , mill hill blackburn all stars blue star to name a few horrible just horrible parents and players

fanzone

Post by fanzone » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:52 am

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani wrote:Over the last 8 years it's always the blackburn teams , mill hill blackburn all stars blue star to name a few horrible just horrible parents and players
Add Blackburn eagles to that list. Never had a pleasant game against them.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:59 am

Herts Clarets wrote:I took on a U11 side after they were dumped by their previous manager. Done the FA coaching badge. I think this season is going to be my last for some of the reasons Macca gave.

Time consuming
Lazy parents
The thing is the 3 or 4 players who have zero ability are probably gaining more from you running the side. Letting them train and run about in matches is good for their health. Discarding them won't do anyone any good. Unless of course you are in it for the glory? To tell all your mates down the pub what a great side you are?

Improving kids and letting them grow is a coaches job.

Oh and get them to drop down a league to their right level. You will see a major difference.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:48 am

A few years ago I took over an under 11's team and I did what I always did which is give the lad(s) who were subs a good run out in every game, even if it meant taking off someone who was clearly a better player or it put the result in jeopardy. I always believed that was the right thing to do at that level, but parents and our resident referee expressed real surprise and I then discovered that my predecessor would regularly take several subs to matches, even in wet, freezing conditions and if he didn't deem it necessary he simply wouldn't use them. I thought that was awful tbh.

wilks_bfc

Post by wilks_bfc » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:32 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:A few years ago I took over an under 11's team and I did what I always did which is give the lad(s) who were subs a good run out in every game, even if it meant taking off someone who was clearly a better player or it put the result in jeopardy. I always believed that was the right thing to do at that level, but parents and our resident referee expressed real surprise and I then discovered that my predecessor would regularly take several subs to matches, even in wet, freezing conditions and if he didn't deem it necessary he simply wouldn't use them. I thought that was awful tbh.
Equal pay = equal play

From my squad of 12 at least 2 have a “rest week”.
That leaves me with 2 or 3 subs for a 7v7 game.
I always look to give every one equal time (or as near as possible), and don’t want players stood on side for too long so we’ve worked that making subs around every 6-7mins works well

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:36 pm

Our coaches had a spread sheet so everybody played the same amount of time, starting at U8s

Its changed slightly, but no one has never got on for at least twenty minutes, even though we are now U12s

But the parents, coaches and kids are aligned in that, and we accept that we are not going to win the league (probably the 3rd or 4th best team in it, but the best two teams cherry pick the best in the area)

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:12 pm

Duffer_ wrote:My biggest bugbear with junior football is the entitled folk who pay £15 a month subs and expect a Premier League experience. They do sweet fa to help and are often the first to criticise those that give of their time freely.
Spot on that. There was one parent on my daughter's team (girl's football is unfortunately mirroring a lot of the boys' league problems as it becomes more popular) - who was always whining and sniping about the volunteer coach running the team. This dad never helped out at training or match day, turned up late every game and offered nothing. If you want to help, or influence how things run that's fine, get involved and get an appreciation of the amount of time and effort that goes into running a team.

My lad plays cricket instead thankfully, it's an oasis of civilisation. Everyone helping out, opposition made to feel welcome, and the kids left to play the game without some never-has-been screaming at them.
This user liked this post: Duffer_

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:14 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:A few years ago I took over an under 11's team and I did what I always did which is give the lad(s) who were subs a good run out in every game, even if it meant taking off someone who was clearly a better player or it put the result in jeopardy. I always believed that was the right thing to do at that level, but parents and our resident referee expressed real surprise and I then discovered that my predecessor would regularly take several subs to matches, even in wet, freezing conditions and if he didn't deem it necessary he simply wouldn't use them. I thought that was awful tbh.
It wasn't Sean Dyche was it?
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:24 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote: Unless of course you are in it for the glory? To tell all your mates down the pub what a great side you are?

Improving kids and letting them grow is a coaches job.
And there lies the problem.

How many pictures/status on Fakebook do you see every week of coaches or teams talking about how many they won, who scored what etc etc.

Never a mention of both teams kids and how well they've done, respect shown, or effort put in.

If coaches were doing it for the purpose they say they do it for, you'd rarely "see a look at me" social media post, as the kids they are doing it for aren't on fakebook.

Most of the time it's just a d1ck measuring contest for the coaches/pushy parents.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:38 pm

I've even stopped putting in the "charity buckets" at supermarkets and football cards they run to "raise much needed club funds" after seeing and hearing the following things numerous times...

Kids taken on an Christmas trip/day out
Kids Christmas party held
Present for all the kids bought
Coaches receiving Christmas gifts
Hats and gloves bought for players/coaches
Full training kits with badges/names on for players AND coaches
Home AND away strips every season

Wowzers, no wonder you need more funds.
You don't send you child to a leisure activity at a club, and expect everyone a part from their actual parents or club they're representing to buy them everything THEY DONT ACTUALLY NEED.

Its got to the point where it's actually embarrassing the amount of begging they do.

If you want your child to play football to enjoy it, improve and get fit, for free, take them to a local park and invest YOUR time helping YOUR child.

If you want them to be at a club and part of a team etc.
Then YOU should pay for YOUR child's equipment, especially if 90% of it is not necessary and is only ( as high lighted above ) show off/d1ck measuring contest.

Why should other people fund your child's leisure activities with time and finance if their parents are too lazy or can't be bothered doing or paying for it themselves!

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:24 pm

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani wrote:Over the last 8 years it's always the blackburn teams , mill hill blackburn all stars blue star to name a few horrible just horrible parents and players
Mill Hill are the ones who stand out.

Wilpshire has a GREAT team a couple of years ago but had players switched about the pitch by their manager targeting certain players for elbows/knees/kicks etc.... then moving them to a dif position before and retaliation could happen. (At u10?11? Age groups)

Feniscowles have always been a football first side .... as have AHF? from down the road whenever I’ve seen them.

It has to be the mantra at certain clubs though that so many teams play in a certain horrid way.

wilks_bfc

Post by wilks_bfc » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:32 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Mill Hill are the ones who stand out.

Wilpshire has a GREAT team a couple of years ago but had players switched about the pitch by their manager targeting certain players for elbows/knees/kicks etc.... then moving them to a dif position before and retaliation could happen. (At u10?11? Age groups)

Feniscowles have always been a football first side .... as have AHF? from down the road whenever I’ve seen them.

It has to be the mantra at certain clubs though that so many teams play in a certain horrid way.
AHF are a great club. Never had any issues playing them and always a great game.

Also it’s not all teams within the clubs. There have been clubs where we’ve had “issues” with one team but not another

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:34 pm

Looks like there is space at the same team that my eldest plays for so my youngest can transfer across.

Will simplify things a lot!

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:37 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:AHF are a great club. Never had any issues playing them and always a great game.

Also it’s not all teams within the clubs. There have been clubs where we’ve had “issues” with one team but not another
It’s usually the better side of that club that is just whingey/nasty. Great Harwood are a good example of it - they have a weaker side who just get on with playing and a stronger side who won’t stop nibbling the refs ear - love to put in HARD tackles but then love to whinge to the ref more when someone has the audacity to try and tackle them.

AHF have always been brilliant off the pitch and on the pitch you can tell they put in the effort to make sure all their kids know they have to have respect.

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:11 pm

MACCA wrote:And there lies the problem.

How many pictures/status on Fakebook do you see every week of coaches or teams talking about how many they won, who scored what etc etc.

Never a mention of both teams kids and how well they've done, respect shown, or effort put in.

If coaches were doing it for the purpose they say they do it for, you'd rarely "see a look at me" social media post, as the kids they are doing it for aren't on fakebook.

Most of the time it's just a d1ck measuring contest for the coaches/pushy parents.
I rarely if ever post anything on social media and the last thing I am doing it for is glory. We have lost every game this season until 3 weeks ago when I had some U12s play up a year. These difference is they are footballers, many of mine are not. Like many I took on the role as my son played, but the main reason was that a number of players were left without a team when we moved from 7 to 9 a side. I didn't want them not to have the opportunity to play football so I took them on and recruited to get a full team.

If you have never been involved with junior football you will not realise the amount of work that goes in to qualifying, recruitment, training, match days, paperwork, meetings, awards events, trying to get kit sponsors, fixtures, organising pitches and a whole host of other tasks. And I don't want any thanks for doing this. I do it for the love out the game. But there are only so many hours in the day and I find it increasingly difficult to allocate the time, especially when the support from parents is thin in the ground. Turn up at 10am on a match day, kick Jonny out of the car with his kit on and return at 12pm to pick him up is a common event. And of course the pitch has marked itself, goals, corner flags and respect barrier have all put themselves up and packed themselves away after the game. The balls and equipment have carried themselves to and from the pitch , volunteer linesman have turned up and the ref has run the game free of charge. You get the picture. 2 hours of free child care for Jonny.

I think 3 years of this and I have done my share, time for someone else to have their turn...

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:15 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:I rarely if ever post anything on social media and the last thing I am doing it for is glory. We have lost every game this season until 3 weeks ago when I had some U12s play up a year. These difference is they are footballers, many of mine are not. Like many I took on the role as my son played, but the main reason was that a number of players were left without a team when we moved from 7 to 9 a side. I didn't want them not to have the opportunity to play football so I took them on and recruited to get a full team.

If you have never been involved with junior football you will not realise the amount of work that goes in to qualifying, recruitment, training, match days, paperwork, meetings, awards events, trying to get kit sponsors, fixtures, organising pitches and a whole host of other tasks. And I don't want any thanks for doing this. I do it for the love out the game. But there are only so many hours in the day and I find it increasingly difficult to allocate the time, especially when the support from parents is thin in the ground. Turn up at 10am on a match day, kick Jonny out of the car with his kit on and return at 12pm to pick him up is a common event. And of course the pitch has marked itself, goals, corner flags and respect barrier have all put themselves up and packed themselves away after the game. The balls and equipment have carried themselves to and from the pitch , volunteer linesman have turned up and the ref has run the game free of charge. You get the picture. 2 hours of free child care for Jonny.

I think 3 years of this and I have done my share, time for someone else to have their turn...
Fully agree, I also did 3 years too, It is vert demanding.

Well you are 1 of very few that do it for the right reasons and don't use it as a d1ck measuring contest or some sort of trophy.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:19 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:I rarely if ever post anything on social media and the last thing I am doing it for is glory. We have lost every game this season until 3 weeks ago when I had some U12s play up a year. These difference is they are footballers, many of mine are not. Like many I took on the role as my son played, but the main reason was that a number of players were left without a team when we moved from 7 to 9 a side. I didn't want them not to have the opportunity to play football so I took them on and recruited to get a full team.

That sounds shocking Herts

Hell, in both my lads teams at least all the parents actually watch the game, and as I've already said, once the game is over in my eldest, everybody takes the goals down, and the respect tape and packs it all away.

Considering the very first game we built the goal we managed to build an actual square goal, this is progress!

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:07 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:That sounds shocking Herts

Hell, in both my lads teams at least all the parents actually watch the game, and as I've already said, once the game is over in my eldest, everybody takes the goals down, and the respect tape and packs it all away.

Considering the very first game we built the goal we managed to build an actual square goal, this is progress!
Don't get me wrong some parents do watch games and will help. But they are the minority. It has been noticeable when we have had the U12s playing with us that their parents either match ours or exceed in numbers. Bear in mind there are 5 u12 players and 10 of mine and it really shows. Many of our boys are not what I would call footballers. Their parents have no interest in football and outside of our team they have no real interaction with football. At their age I was on the Turf every other week, watched MOTD, Sportsnight, pub teams down the park, took packed lunch to school so I could play at lunchtime. I lived for football. I bought Match and Shoot magazines, had subbuteo tournaments with my mates.

I know many of my team will not interact with football between training and matches so they have no idea of what goes on outside a junior team. But I think they have enjoyed the last 3 year's so I have at least taught them something. That football can be fun.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 am

Parents have always been the main problem with kids football.

Read on here after a defeat and the number of experts telling Dyche what he should have done, you can only imagine their conduct towards junior level coaches who they see as failing their kid.