Cardiff at home

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Re: Cardiff at home

Post by Spijed » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:17 am

nil_desperandum wrote:If we lose at Bournemouth by more than one goal then they will only be 5 points behind us, with something like a -9 GD
If we then lose our last 4 games by an average of 2 goals and they pick up just 5 points in their remaining games, which is quite possible, then they would most likely stay up on on GD.
Put it another way, if we lose at Bournemouth and draw against Cardiff, then (looking at the fixtures) I think Cardiff will consider that they are in with a really good chance.
You do realise they have to play Liverpool after they've played Brighton don't you?

Unless you think goals against them won't count in that game.

Goddy
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 691 times

Post by Goddy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:08 am

Spijed wrote:You do realise they have to play Liverpool after they've played Brighton don't you?

Agreed, Spijed. People being worried that our GD advantage is basically 'at risk' appear to assume that Cardiff will win every game and we'll lose every game. If that happens we're down and they'll stay up anyhow, regardless of GD.

Let's say we draw against Cardiff and then lose every other game by, say one or two goals (likely if we lose the rest) so add minus 7 to us, that would mean we'd be on -29

Cardiff draw against us and then need 5 more points, to catch us for GD to be an issue. Let's say they win one game and draw two others and then lose two others (for their 5 points), it's actually more likely that their GD would get worse (two defeats versus one victory).

My point is that if it comes down to GD then it would be unbelievably unfortunate for us to not be the beneficiaries. If Cardiff are to stay up, they'll almost certainly need more points than us, so they already need 6 points to stay up (and need those from 5 remaining games assuming we get a draw against them and we get no further points for the rest of the season). Not losing to Cardiff is, quite frankly, the key to us staying up........probably :?
This user liked this post: bodge

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:19 am

A point at home against Cardiff will be fine. I reckon they will lose at home to Palace, who are excellent on the road.

Some people are assuming it's a straight shoot out between us and Cardiff, clearly Brighton and Southampton are very much involved as well.

Guich
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by Guich » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:49 am

They also play away to Man United on the last day.

I don't think it will matter by then, but I predict we'll draw with Arsenal 1-1 and Manyoo will beat Cardiff 4-0

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani
Been Liked: 212 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:04 pm

Guich wrote:They also play away to Man United on the last day.

I don't think it will matter by then, but I predict we'll draw with Arsenal 1-1 and Manyoo will beat Cardiff 4-0
I think we will get a point against arsenal but then I always think we can at home until the ref steps in

edison
Been Liked: 345 times

Post by edison » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:36 pm

bodge wrote:A point at home against Cardiff will be fine. I reckon they will lose at home to Palace, who are excellent on the road.

Some people are assuming it's a straight shoot out between us and Cardiff, clearly Brighton and Southampton are very much involved as well.
We won't make it easy or comfortable for supporters. A point at home v Cardiff and folk will be losing their sh**, although Cardiff's next 2 games after us could effectively seal their fate.

midlander63
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by midlander63 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:48 pm

My view is that what happens against Bournemouth will have a massive effect on the Cardiff game.
A win for Burnley tomorrow will mean Cardiff are 8 points back when they visit Turf Moor. This makes it a game that they really have to win to stand a realistic chance of catching Burnley - the pressure on them would be enormous. Burnley lose and they'd probably be satisfied with a draw.
Win tomorrow and Cardiff will need to attack at Turf Moor. If Burnley get the first goal I could then see us winning easily as Cardiff have to commit men forward.
Their fans will be making a right noise at kick off but a Burnley goal would silence them.

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:13 pm

Cardiff haven't a sheep in Hell's chance of beating us

Longsidebogs
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by Longsidebogs » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:32 pm

I think we’re more likely to win at Bournemouth than against Cardiff.sure it will be a tough game on the South coast, but I expect Cardiff to go all guns blazing in an anything goes type of game. They have absolutely nothing to lose. We will be a bag of nerves. I might have a bet on a couple of Red cards in that game. The atmosphere should be electric. Will we stay up? For me yes.....could be Brighton for relegation.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:31 pm

4 more points plus our superior goal average and we should OK. I can't see Cardiff getting 10 points from there remaining fixtures

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:05 pm

Spijed wrote:You do realise they have to play Liverpool after they've played Brighton don't you?

I do realise, and that's one of the fixtures that worries me.
I'm far from being alone in thinking that Klopp's Liverpool will bottle it in the last few games, and this is exactly the sort of game where - in the past - Liverpool have dropped a couple of points. (Yes, I know Liverpool are much stronger this season).
Klopp's really good at being a runner-up by the way.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:25 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:I do realise, and that's one of the fixtures that worries me.
I'm far from being alone in thinking that Klopp's Liverpool will bottle it in the last few games, and this is exactly the sort of game where - in the past - Liverpool have dropped a couple of points. (Yes, I know Liverpool are much stronger this season).
Klopp's really good at being a runner-up by the way.
And what about our matches?

Why are the games against Chelsea & Arsenal more difficult for us than Cardiff playing Liverpool & Man U?

It makes you despair the complete negativity on here at times. We are in a far, far stronger position than Cardiff and you forget they also have to play Brighton away.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:58 pm

Spijed wrote:And what about our matches?

Why are the games against Chelsea & Arsenal more difficult for us than Cardiff playing Liverpool & Man U?

It makes you despair the complete negativity on here at times. We are in a far, far stronger position than Cardiff and you forget they also have to play Brighton away.
I don't think I'm being particularly negative. It's just how I "read" the fixtures.
I fully expect Cardiff to beat Fulham, so leaving all else aside that puts them 2 points behind us. If as some are suggesting we only draw against Cardiff, then the differential remains the same. Looking at the other games I just feel that they are more likely to pick up 3 or 4 more points than we are, (unless we win tomorrow, in which case "the Cardiff" draw would be more positive for us than them)

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:08 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:I don't think I'm being particularly negative. It's just how I "read" the fixtures.
I fully expect Cardiff to beat Fulham, so leaving all else aside that puts them 2 points behind us. If as some are suggesting we only draw against Cardiff, then the differential remains the same. Looking at the other games I just feel that they are more likely to pick up 3 or 4 more points than we are, (unless we win tomorrow, in which case "the Cardiff" draw would be more positive for us than them)
Fulham have comfortably beaten every team at the bottom at home.

I think your pessimism is a bit misplaced.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (70.94 KiB) Viewed 1161 times

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:46 pm

Spijed wrote:Fulham have comfortably beaten every team at the bottom at home.

I think your pessimism is a bit misplaced.
I think that that's a very fair point, but the spirit at Cardiff is very good and Fulham just seem to have given up in the past 2 months.
On checking I was surprised to note that they've lost every single game they've played in 2019, (except, consistent with what you say) they beat Brighton back in January.
We will have to hope that, now relegated, and with Parker in charge they might start to play a bit better. Problem is they just can't defend.
This user liked this post: Spijed