Back in for Jay, again

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Back in for Jay, again

Post by Zom Zom » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:08 am

£12m bid rejected, source BBC Gossip column.

Longsidebogs
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Re: Back in for Jay, again

Post by Longsidebogs » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:11 am

Hope this is a joke.

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:15 am

Zom Zom wrote:£12m bid rejected, source BBC Gossip column.
Click the link....the page it goes to is dated June 2018.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11047 times
Has Liked: 5656 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:16 am

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2008 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:20 am

BurnleyPaul wrote:Click the link....the page it goes to is dated June 2018.
Marty MacFly is his agent.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8512 times
Has Liked: 18257 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:47 am

Charge up the flux capacitor and hit 88 mph

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:37 am

It might be a mistake, but I was bit surprised that we didn't go back in for him during the Winter window. The cash we spent on Vydra and adding Crouch to our ranks probably put paid to that notion. Along with our decision to do nothing.

What makes me think the Winter would have been different?

This article

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... d-to-sell/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I noticed it at the time, but I refrained from posting about it, on the basis that I think we can do better for our money.

It's all change at WBA and the article strongly suggests Dowling would have been happy to sell Jay for the ridiculous amount of money that we offered in the Summer window, if we had repeated the bid early in the Winter window. The article was practically begging us to do so, which would make sense. Dowling obviously had targets in mind, supported by the failed movements of WBA in the window.

I suspect he was reasonably confident he could bring in younger replacements of comparable ability for lower transfer fees and wages, albeit without the experience of the players mentioned, and then pocket the difference or use it to improve other areas of an aging squad. Or, alternatively, a better player with more development potential.

At the start of the season Moore managed to convince the owners to hold onto their existing squad members, but that was before Dowling arrived at the club. According to Dowling, Moore is " a man players want to play for and staff want to work for". He is a strong character who values loyalty. Or to put it another way, the type of person you probably don't want in place if you are planning a big squad overhaul.

Fast forward a few months to the time immediately before Darren was sacked and WBA are suffering from a slight dip in results after playing the strongest teams in the league, but they are still well placed for a playoff push.

If the results swing back in their favour, which is likely given the relative strength of the teams they will face in their final run up, the team will win promotion or make it to the playoffs. Either way the players and the fans will be firmly behind the Manager, setting the stage for a difference of opinion about keeping or selling key players in the Summer window.

The only way to avoid that conflict is to send the manager packing on the basis of a couple of results before the results turn back around. With the club in a good position bringing in a patsy Head Coach should be fairly easy and most of the hard work has been done in terms of a promotion bid.

I could be wrong, but that is the only reasoning that I can find to support the strange decision to sack Darren Moore.

On the back of it I wouldn't be in a rush to rule out any interest in Jay from us in the next window. I didn't agree with the inflated price we were offering for him in the last window and our prolonged pursuit in the face of rejection. His early performances this season didn't blow my socks off and his goal tally for this season has benefited from "fatten the turkey" penalties. However, I will hold my hands up and say that he has been playing well recently.

I still wouldn't pay more than £8-£10m for him though and I would prefer us to look at Albian Ajeti, Robin Quaison or possibly Marcus Thuram if Guingamp get relegated. Is Thuram a left winger or a striker, I would say the latter, but it doesn't hurt that he can play well as the former.

http://www.just-football.com/2019/02/ma ... r-profile/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If Dowling is confident that he can do better for the money then we should be thinking the same. £12m is too much for Jay and it smacks of more of the same, instead of a move to up our recruitment game. His value is only going to go one way and it isn't up. We already have a wealth of Premier League experience in our squad, we don't need anymore, what we need are younger players to pass it on to.
This user liked this post: claretfern

maidenover
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by maidenover » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:53 am

As said above, story is from 2018. Even talks about WBA's interest in Bobby Reid, whose been at Cardiff all this season. So ignore, it's an archived story, incorrectly dredged up.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 519 times

Post by beddie » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:47 am

How can a bid be accepted or rejected when the transfer window is closed or am I missing something.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:09 am

beddie wrote:How can a bid be accepted or rejected when the transfer window is closed or am I missing something.
You can buy anyone now just not register them until the transfer window opens.

lesxdp
Been Liked: 112 times
Has Liked: 1662 times

Post by lesxdp » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:20 am

beddie wrote:How can a bid be accepted or rejected when the transfer window is closed or am I missing something.
Yes you are missing the number of posts in this thread explaining that this is an old story from 2018 that has managed to be dragged up again.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:24 am

Hed be 4th choice if we did. Cant do the biz in the championship never mind prem

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2008 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:15 am

lesxdp wrote:Yes you are missing the number of posts in this thread explaining that this is an old story from 2018 that has managed to be dragged up again.
There could be truth in the story but a lazy sub-editor has dragged up an old file.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2169 times
Has Liked: 3104 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:44 am

10 plus Vydra?