REPORT: Clarets go Cherry picking

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32527 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

REPORT: Clarets go Cherry picking

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:07 pm

Bournemouth v Burnley report

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/clarets-go-cherry-picking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 5 users liked this post: bfcjg turfytopper BFCmaj Working_Class_Zero Burnleyareback2

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Re: REPORT: Clarets go Cherry picking

Post by CleggHall » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:31 pm

A very happy report, as ever most welcome, a joy to read.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:32 pm

CleggHall wrote:A very happy report, as ever most welcome, a joy to read.
A joy to write and a joy to watch. I do like winning at Bournemouth. :D

rufus lumley
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by rufus lumley » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:44 pm

Don’t know if this has been mentioned before the win was our 50th in the Premier League.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:46 pm

rufus lumley wrote:Don’t know if this has been mentioned before the win was our 50th in the Premier League.
That's one I did miss - thanks for that

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:49 pm

bespectacled septuagenarian at the front

Ha ha, yes, Rocky was at the front. :D

Leisure
Been Liked: 3793 times
Has Liked: 12492 times

Post by Leisure » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:02 pm

Very disappointing that Gudmundsson didn't bother to come over to the away fans, he just headed straight for the tunnel! ☹️ Not sure whether to read anything into that or not.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4842 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:40 pm

Great read Tony. Glad you all had such a fabulous day!

Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Cheshireclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:47 pm

I posted this on the player ratings thread but me and little man are still buzzing after yesterday so though I’d add it here just to underline what an amazing day it was. Superb from start to finish - I’m a daft old sod, I’m almost emotional about it :-

A truly immense performance from all concerned, Westwood my man of the match - at one point late in the second half he played a ball out wide to JBG, and when JBG didn’t anticipate it, Westy legged it himself and managed to get there before it went out of play! This was after 80 minutes or so, his energy and running was out of this world yesterday.

His performance was closely followed by McNeil who’s crosses in the first half especially were sublime at times.

However, as me and little man were wandering around the ground towards the team bus, a Bournemouth fan launched into a diatribe about ‘what a disgrace our number 2 was’ and when I replied that we’d played really well and it was a great performance, his reply was along the lines of ‘call that a great performance? You’re happy with that? Fair play you won, but that’s anti-football, worse than a Pulis team.....’.

At that point, his fellow fans argued back at him and a few came over to congratulate us on a great result and performance. I felt he was just angry in the moment, he didn’t swear or get aggressive either and his comments were probably writtten before the game began in anticipation of us winning. I’ve no idea what Lowton did to wind him up either!

The fact was his team had been outplayed, out thought and out muscled - we were brilliant. It was exactly the performance we needed and all 12 put in a great shift and did everything that was asked of them. Rocky’s dancing just added to the entertainment.

The above was literally the only negative I encountered on a memorable day in which little man was our mascot. We will never ever forget the memories.

Thank you Burnley Football Club for making my son (and his old man) very, very, very happy. Dreams can come true.

Up The Clarets!

Cheshire
These 5 users liked this post: bfcjg Leisure MT03ALG randomclaret2 Working_Class_Zero

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4566 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:23 pm

Rocky et al clearly seen on MOD !!

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:07 pm

How come, whenever some record comes up, it always seems to be “since Peter Noble”

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3187 times
Has Liked: 1869 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:23 pm

I’m interested in the picture in the report of the Bournemouth player squaring up to Lowton.

What had the little wind up merchant done this time? ;)

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:42 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:I’m interested in the picture in the report of the Bournemouth player squaring up to Lowton.

Right at the end. Adam Smith had completely lost the plot. Had a go at Cork & Heaton too and got a yellow.

Cheshireclaret

Post by Cheshireclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:06 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:I’m interested in the picture in the report of the Bournemouth player squaring up to Lowton.

Westwood and Smith collided in the penalty box with Westy staying on his feet and Smith hitting the deck. Westy bent down and said something to Smith as he lay on the floor and he sprung to his feet heading after him, only for Lowton to come over in his defence and then he threw a hissy fit at Lowton, Heaton, Cork - anything that moved basically. Very bizarre.

I’ve come to assume that the Mr Angry I reference above thought Lowton was Westwood, although frankly Smith just seemed to take the bait and, as CT says, lose the plot.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:08 pm

Westwood leant over Smith and said something which had Smith jumping up and trying to get to him. Heats grabbed hold of Smith and then it looked like Lowts just gave him a little extra wind-up just to calm things down a bit :D :shock:

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:32 am

I think you missed out some praise for our corner routine, it probably just looked a goalkeeping error from where the away fans sit, but as highlighted on Goals on Sunday it was training ground brilliance.
To leave the front of the goal open but block the goalkeeper from moving backwards with a back post delivery has certainly got rewards for us on Saturday and away to Liverpool.

Teams will certainly think about Zonal marking against us in the future.
This user liked this post: simonclaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:53 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:I think you missed out some praise for our corner routine, it probably just looked a goalkeeping error from where the away fans sit, but as highlighted on Goals on Sunday it was training ground brilliance.
To leave the front of the goal open but block the goalkeeper from moving backwards with a back post delivery has certainly got rewards for us on Saturday and away to Liverpool.

Teams will certainly think about Zonal marking against us in the future.
Clearly tricked the keeper with that and then he got so confused he was almost beaten on his near post by a low Westwood cross that was possibly on its way in. But it was still poor goalkeeping, not as though I'm bothered too much about that, just the fact that we got the goals.

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:10 am

Smith had a word with Dyche at the end, I wonder what Westwood said?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:45 am

Bertiebeehead wrote:Smith had a word with Dyche at the end, I wonder what Westwood said?
And the referee had a word with Smith, he must have asked his name. I've no idea what actually happened but it landed the mard arse with a yellow card.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:51 am

What I liked about the corner was that it was their player stood directly behind Begovic, so it was less likely that the referee would have blown for a free kick - because it was his own man blocking him.
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:14 pm

FactualFrank wrote:What I liked about the corner was that it was their player stood directly behind Begovic, so it was less likely that the referee would have blown for a free kick - because it was his own man blocking him.
Yes- Chris Kamara highlighted this on Goals on Sunday, that Barnes managed to trap his marker between him and Begovic, which meant that when the corner went long, provided Barnes stood his ground, there was no way Begovic could get through the traffic. Clever move, although Begovic got himself into one hell of a tangle in the first place, and the goal also relied upon the quality of the ball in from Westwood (top drawer) and some tidy movement by Wood and Tarks to get free of their markers.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:42 pm

.... and Mee.

Paulclaret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 268 times

Post by Paulclaret » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:42 pm

Excellent report Tony. It's been a superb weekend. Actually living in Bournemouth and having a lot of my wife's side of the family in the home end, made it particularly sweet. Also seeing us both on the MotD highlights and Sky and my wife celebrating looking like she knew what was going on really wound up the Bournemouth side of the family :lol:

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:54 pm

Westwood was classed as a soft touch by Villa fans , good to see him mixing it up

Cheshireclaret

Post by Cheshireclaret » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:37 pm

I’ve just checked and to purchase one of the images used in the article, it seems to cost £150 - is that correct? Me and little man are in one that would make a lovely photo for us to have framed.

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:30 am

Bertiebeehead wrote:Smith had a word with Dyche at the end, I wonder what Westwood said?
Whatever it was, he ought to tell physios because it would be a great help to them all. Smith was lying on the floor seriously injured until Westwood said his magic words, and - miracle of miracles - he leapt to his feet, his injury was healed!
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2008 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:25 am

Sky Premier League Grades were happy with us.

Burnley: A

Burnley really can be a joy to watch at times, when in full flow. And this was about as full as their flow can be. They showed excellent resilience not only to survive Bournemouth's early pressure but also keep their heads up despite conceding an early goal, and inside 20 minutes they had turned the game around.

Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes' partnership blossomed while Dwight McNeil kept his reputation on the rise, and Ashley Westwood's set-pieces were excellent throughout.
There was steel at the back too which we haven't always seen this season, and Ben Mee and James Tarkowski marshalled Bournemouth's lively front two very well. Burnley are all but safe, but they can play like this more often, and undo some of that reputation for attritional football with which they have become synonymous. (Ron Walker)

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:00 am

As regards Westwood’s corner routine,the very first corner he took only just reached the near post and was an easy take for their goalie.
Was this all part of the plan.
When that first corner fell short the guy behind me was slating Westwood as f**king useless.

And JBG did come across to the fans. He was in front of us when the final whistle blew and he came a couple of yards nearer to us and clapped a few times before turning round and heading to the tunnel before the rest of the players came over. I did think it was a bit strange at the time

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:16 am

Paulclaret wrote:Excellent report Tony. It's been a superb weekend. Actually living in Bournemouth and having a lot of my wife's side of the family in the home end, made it particularly sweet. Also seeing us both on the MotD highlights and Sky and my wife celebrating looking like she knew what was going on really wound up the Bournemouth side of the family :lol:
And good for you to have a home game Paul after all the long treks north
This user liked this post: Paulclaret