New Corner Stands

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Re: New Corner Stands

Post by claretblue » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:18 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:Looks like it's just been plonked there over night.
certainly can't be described as 'over-night' :?

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Rileybobs wrote:In what way is it cheaply built?

They're probably aren't, they'll be state of the art do doubt

I just didnt think doing things through gritted teeth, only when you have too, it taking an age, and looking at the final result doesn't give me the wow factor.

But suppose its upto those using it to judge. Anything would be state of the art with what they've had to put up with.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:35 pm

MACCA wrote:They're probably aren't, they'll be state of the art do doubt

I just didnt think doing things through gritted teeth, only when you have too, it taking an age, and looking at the final result doesn't give me the wow factor.

But suppose its upto those using it to judge. Anything would be state of the art with what they've had to put up with.
Tbf, is there a football club that exists (at our level) that puts fans first?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6947 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:41 pm

Why are people still banging on about the club having to build it. Even if that was the only reason they have built the corner stand then so what? It’s done.

I don’t know the reason for the long construction period but these things happen and I’m pretty certain the delay hasn’t benefited either BFC or the contractor.

As for giving you the wow factor, I think your expectations may have been too high if you were expecting a small addition to the stadium providing disabled viewing platforms to have a wow factor.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5267 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:43 pm

Members of Burnley Disabled Supporters Group used the facility at the end of last season and they were delighted with the result.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone thomaspaine

occ-claret
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by occ-claret » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:47 pm

I think they look great

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Spijed wrote:Tbf, is there a football club that exists (at our level) that puts fans first?

Probably not

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:12 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Members of Burnley Disabled Supporters Group used the facility at the end of last season and they were delighted with the result.
I believe so.

SonofPog
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by SonofPog » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:19 pm

If there was just a little bit of Claret & Blue, perhaps a strip to match the other stands, it'll would have be fine.

Its the inside that's most important though and they've been good on that before.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2460 times
Has Liked: 1989 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:20 pm

I saw a clip on youtube yesterday, whilst under construction. There seemed to be an awful lot of stairs for a stand built for folk with a disability. So I’m delighted to read CT’s comment #258 that the BDSG are delighted with it.

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:53 pm

Now someone has gone and blown it up...

https://news.sky.com/video/kfc-explosio ... v-11762367" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 383 times
Has Liked: 234 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:59 pm

How is the 2nd corner stand coming along? (I hardly dare ask)

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:18 pm

Im_not_Robbie_Blake wrote:How is the 2nd corner stand coming along? (I hardly dare ask)
Nowhere near ready when I was in the ground a couple of weeks ago.
This user liked this post: Im_not_Robbie_Blake

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 291 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:50 pm

FWIW, I think the corner stands look horrendous. Ill thought out and badly constructed.

But it doesn’t really matter what I think. I’m just pleased for those disabled fans that have been getting drenched every winter for decades without consideration.

I’d have stopped attending long ago if I was treated the same way. Credit to them, and I hope they thoroughly enjoy the new facilities.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:50 pm

Just curious, but, is Defour a member of the BDSG.
These 2 users liked this post: MG70 box_of_frogs

MG70
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 425 times

Post by MG70 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:53 pm

I wonder if the corner stands will help with the acoustics from the home end?
This user liked this post: Fretters

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:40 am

When our chairman attends the premier league meetings and is told new rules for the catering of disabled supporters are being worked on, then it made sense to wait to see the requirements before planning anything. Once clear, plans can be drawn and approval sought. Only then can construction begin. It all takes time, 3 or 4 years to completion.
Congratulations should go to the club for satisfying the requirements of two different sets of supporter with these two constructions.
Supporters who have been expressing a wish to see the corners filled in are now 50% there.
Supporters with disabilities requiring better facilities have been satisfied.

Many have been calling for a new Cricketfield stand and facilities, maybe we're just waiting for the recommendations of the report into safe standing before plans are submitted. As with the disabled facilities, there's no point spending what little money we have on something, only to have to spend more again when new rules come out.

As with on the pitch player investment, there's only so much money available and so we have invest in improvements steady away over time.
I'd say our board have done well recently in improving things for supporters, club staff and players.
Club Shop.
Ticket Office.
Gawthorpe.
Corner stands.

Well done Burnley FC.
These 5 users liked this post: Blackburnclaret Leisure Bosscat thomaspaine Juan Tanamera

Inchy
Been Liked: 1333 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:59 am

I don't think anyone has an issue with meeting the disabled requirements. It was a requirement we needed to meet. However in my opinion they look cheap and do not match the look of the ground.

As for safe standing, other clubs have incorporated new stands with the ability to transfer to safe standing so that should not impact on potential CFS developments.

Personally I would rather the club had created disabled seating in the BLS. Would have been relatively easy to add lifts and other facilities into the BLS alongside updating the whole stand.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:00 am

Inchy wrote:Personally I would rather the club had created disabled seating in the BLS. Would have been relatively easy to add lifts and other facilities into the BLS alongside updating the whole stand.
Was looked at as an option and would not have been relatively easy, or anything like that, and would have caused a considerable number of issues involving season ticket holders.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3786 times
Has Liked: 12469 times

Post by Leisure » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:14 pm

No Ney Never wrote:When our chairman attends the premier league meetings and is told new rules for the catering of disabled supporters are being worked on, then it made sense to wait to see the requirements before planning anything. Once clear, plans can be drawn and approval sought. Only then can construction begin. It all takes time, 3 or 4 years to completion.
Congratulations should go to the club for satisfying the requirements of two different sets of supporter with these two constructions.
Supporters who have been expressing a wish to see the corners filled in are now 50% there.
Supporters with disabilities requiring better facilities have been satisfied.

Many have been calling for a new Cricketfield stand and facilities, maybe we're just waiting for the recommendations of the report into safe standing before plans are submitted. As with the disabled facilities, there's no point spending what little money we have on something, only to have to spend more again when new rules come out.

As with on the pitch player investment, there's only so much money available and so we have invest in improvements steady away over time.
I'd say our board have done well recently in improving things for supporters, club staff and players.
Club Shop.
Ticket Office.
Gawthorpe.
Corner stands.

Well done Burnley FC.
Spot on.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:16 pm

Anything but spot on to be honest. We were given a year’s grace on legislation that was available to all and we are still a year late.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:25 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Anything but spot on to be honest. We were given a year’s grace on legislation that was available to all and we are still a year late.
Thats Burnley all over everything takes time and it's been like that in 50 years of supporting them
The only surprise was the two of the resent promotions never expected anything

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:47 pm

FB_IMG_1563104765404.jpg
FB_IMG_1563104765404.jpg (38.35 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
How about something like this
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat 4:20

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:51 pm

Yes that would do it and on the other corner Barnes planting that kiss

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:58 pm

Longside4evr wrote:Yes that would do it and on the other corner Barnes planting that kiss
:lol: great idea

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18201 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:01 pm

Perhaps the view of one of our disabled fans on the new corner stands, access and facilities would be better than the surmising of people who are fortunate not to require them...

I personally have no opinion on the exterior (as they could change the cladding quite easily... in the future)
Maybe the planning department had a say in the colour of the cladding... who knows?

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Bosscat wrote: Maybe the planning department had a say in the colour of the cladding... who knows?

If anything they'd say it needed to be in keeping with the rest of the area, which black clearly isnt.
It sticks out like a sore thumb, but who really cares.

It has gone pretty much as most people could have guessed from start to finish.

Well over a year late , after an extension for a project as small as this isnt acceptable.

thomaspaine
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by thomaspaine » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:54 pm

Would have thought that some Claret and blue livery might be added at some point?

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:57 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Members of Burnley Disabled Supporters Group used the facility at the end of last season and they were delighted with the result.
...which is all that really matters. But hey, we’re Burnley fans - we need something to moan about.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1333 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:00 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Was looked at as an option and would not have been relatively easy, or anything like that, and would have caused a considerable number of issues involving season ticket holders.

Any significant upgrades to current stands will cause issues involving season ticket holders. Move them, they will get over it.

Although it might not be relatively easy, building 2 new corner stands hasn’t exactly been a breeze. IMO it would have been better to revamp the BLS, add seats at the bottom to negate any seats lost to disabled supporters. Add in disabled seats half way up the stand like at Wigan and incorporate internal lifts. Could have developed the whole stand both inside and out. Would be better than the eye sores we now have

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5069 times
Has Liked: 6839 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:29 pm

Inchy wrote:Any significant upgrades to current stands will cause issues involving season ticket holders. Move them, they will get over it.

Although it might not be relatively easy, building 2 new corner stands hasn’t exactly been a breeze. IMO it would have been better to revamp the BLS, add seats at the bottom to negate any seats lost to disabled supporters. Add in disabled seats half way up the stand like at Wigan and incorporate internal lifts. Could have developed the whole stand both inside and out. Would be better than the eye sores we now have
If you add seats to the bottom you lose the running track.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:41 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Anything but spot on to be honest. We were given a year’s grace on legislation that was available to all and we are still a year late.
With respect Tony, many clubs have the financial resources to implement such legislation in a more timely manner than us.
We want to give the Gaffa as big a transfer budget as possible, we want to attract and retain the best players we can afford by improving our wage structure, we want the Turf bringing into the 21st century, all as a self financing club.
With one eye on investing in maintaining the premier league status for its income, the other will be looking at ways of affording the required improvements with what's left.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:49 pm

Inchy wrote:Any significant upgrades to current stands will cause issues involving season ticket holders. Move them, they will get over it.

And it hasn’t caused any disruption to anyone else. What you are suggesting wasn’t feasible for any number of reasons.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:51 pm

Spurs built a brand new state of the art stadium in the time it will end up taking us to get those corners filled in. Pretty poor effort from the club/Barnfield really.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:51 pm

No Ney Never wrote:With respect Tony, many clubs have the financial resources to implement such legislation in a more timely manner than us.
We want to give the Gaffa as big a transfer budget as possible, we want to attract and retain the best players we can afford by improving our wage structure, we want the Turf bringing into the 21st century, all as a self financing club.
With one eye on investing in maintaining the premier league status for its income, the other will be looking at ways of affording the required improvements with what's left.
Nothing to do with that. We have, rightly so, to adhere to Premier League rules and legislation. We are not the only club behind and I accept it is more difficult in an older ground like ours, but it has to be done.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:52 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Spurs built a brand new state of the art stadium in the time it will end up taking us to get those corners filled in. Pretty poor effort from the club/Barnfield really.
I don’t think so. Was it about four years ago that work started at Spurs?

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:57 pm

So what is the actual reason why the second corner stand has taken so long (and looks like it won't be complete in time for the first game)?

I've been past numerous times over the last few weeks and there never seems to be many workers. Surely a Premier League football club hasn't taken a back seat to another Barnfield project?

Not good.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:59 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:So what is the actual reason why the second corner stand has taken so long (and looks like it won't be complete in time for the first game)?

I've been past numerous times over the last few weeks and there never seems to be many workers. Surely a Premier League football club hasn't taken a back seat to another Barnfield project?

Not good.
There’s plenty going on. There was a huge hold up because of problems. Not sure why it had taken so long since. It’s only one level I think for disabled seating, the higher level is for a new control box.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:59 pm

And had to have nearly and extra season to finish
Spurs new ground that is
Last edited by Longside4evr on Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:00 pm

ClaretTony wrote:There’s plenty going on. There was a huge hold up because of problems. Not sure why it had taken so long since. It’s only one level I think for disabled seating, the higher level is for a new control box.
Problems with what?

There wasn't much going on last week...

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:05 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:Problems with what?

There wasn't much going on last week...
We were told that there were considerable unforeseen problems.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:06 pm

I think hes on about at the beginning when unforeseen problems underground occurred
That was the biggest problem but you after question the searchers reports on foundation and landregestry
We do a lot on the cheap so it's no surprise really

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:09 pm

MACCA wrote:
I remember getting castrated for being a miserable git when the plans came out.), and it was quite clear what the end result would be.
Do you mean “castigated”?
These 2 users liked this post: Rileybobs Rick_Muller

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18201 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:17 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:Do you mean “castigated”?
Might explain MACCA's high pitched voice.....
These 2 users liked this post: elwaclaret Rick_Muller

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6947 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:17 pm

Longside4evr wrote:I think hes on about at the beginning when unforeseen problems underground occurred
That was the biggest problem but you after question the searchers reports on foundation and landregestry
We do a lot on the cheap so it's no surprise really
What would landregestry (Land Registry) have to do with anything?

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:38 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:Do you mean “castigated”?

No

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:45 pm

ClaretTony wrote:We were told that there were considerable unforeseen problems.
I thought that was just with the foundations? Once the steelworks started to go up, I expected quicker progress than what there has been. They certainly can't use the weather as an excuse.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2008 times
Has Liked: 2903 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:49 pm

There seem a lot on here who should be working for BFC. There is an old Lancashire saying... any fool can spend other folks money.

I have little doubt the Directors of Burnley football club showed far more diligence when planning the development than any but the most anorakey of the posters on the Bee Hole End. Judge on completion after hearing what those for whom it was intended.

I expect the cladding will eventually be uniformed, though it could just be that Burnley planning department have insisted in a more neutral outer... meaning the whole outside of the stadium may in time have to match the new colour scheme rather than the new to match the older stands.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4831 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:20 pm

No issue with the construction of the stands. The only thing I would say is ‘Why black?’ It just doesn’t work.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:22 pm

MACCA wrote:No
Are you sure?