New Corner Stands

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2903 times

Re: New Corner Stands

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:24 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:Are you sure?
It is difficult to be certain.... maybe it would be more evident you are in fact wrong if we had live cam on threads.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:31 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:Are you sure?
Yes

Inchy
Been Liked: 1333 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:56 pm

ClaretTony wrote:And it hasn’t caused any disruption to anyone else. What you are suggesting wasn’t feasible for any number of reasons.

What reasons? Moving fans wouldn't be a huge problem. Clearly time scale isn't a problem. With a bit of imagination and decent engineering what I am suggesting should have happened was entirely possible

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5268 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:18 pm

Inchy wrote:What reasons? Moving fans wouldn't be a huge problem. Clearly time scale isn't a problem. With a bit of imagination and decent engineering what I am suggesting should have happened was entirely possible
And where would you move them too?

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:04 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Nothing to do with that. We have, rightly so, to adhere to Premier League rules and legislation. We are not the only club behind and I accept it is more difficult in an older ground like ours, but it has to be done.
What exactly is it that you're aggrieved atTony? Do you believe that the club would not have done anything to improve the facilities for our less abled supporters had it not been forced on them by legislation?

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 508 times

Post by Claretforever » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:17 pm

No Ney Never wrote:What exactly is it that you're aggrieved atTony? Do you believe that the club would not have done anything to improve the facilities for our less abled supporters had it not been forced on them by legislation?
Well considering we have done very little for our fans since the Cricket Field stand was built, our history over the last 50 years suggests we don’t do anything unless it’s forced upon us.

Our disabled facilities were actually made worse when we were promoted to the PL in 2009.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:45 pm

I can understand how upset people are getting about the exterior look of this new stand what with the rest of the ground being an architectural masterpiece.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:54 pm

martin_p wrote:I can understand how upset people are getting about the exterior look of this new stand what with the rest of the ground being an architectural masterpiece.
To be fair does one excuse the other?

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2757 times
Has Liked: 4318 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:57 pm

" considering we have done very little for our fans since the Cricket Field stand was built, our history over the last 50 years suggests we don’t do anything unless it’s forced "
...apart trom rebuilding the rest of the ground
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure tim_noone

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 508 times

Post by Claretforever » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:34 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:" considering we have done very little for our fans since the Cricket Field stand was built, our history over the last 50 years suggests we don’t do anything unless it’s forced "
...apart trom rebuilding the rest of the ground
The key words in my comment were “for our fans”.

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:38 pm

Have the 3 new stands not improved things for the fans ?
This user liked this post: Leisure

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:40 pm

Claretforever wrote:The key words in my comment were “for our fans”.
Sure I got a free season ticket in 2009.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:49 pm

martin_p wrote:Sure I got a free season ticket in 2009.
And I got a free scarf once, also I got a free pie, but that was off the lassy behind the counter as they had burnt and were rock hard.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6947 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:01 pm

We have some extremely bitter fans on here. What do you want the club to do ‘for our fans’. They have just constructed some purpose-built disabled facilities ‘for our fans’.

The ground has had significant improvements over the years despite there obviously being more room for improvement. Thousands of fans were also treated to free season tickets. We pay less to watch our club than the majority of the league. Season ticket prices haven’t been increased for quite a long time despite the general rate of inflation.

What exactly do people want?
These 3 users liked this post: ClaretTony Leisure bfcmik

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:07 pm

Rileybobs wrote:We have some extremely bitter fans on here. What do you want the club to do ‘for our fans’. They have just constructed some purpose-built disabled facilities ‘for our fans’.

The ground has had significant improvements over the years despite there obviously being more room for improvement. Thousands of fans were also treated to free season tickets. We pay less to watch our club than the majority of the league. Season ticket prices haven’t been increased for quite a long time despite the general rate of inflation.

We've probably done more for our fans than other clubs in the Prem at least.

Are there any examples of any other Premier league club giving away free season tickets, for example?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:08 pm

Rileybobs wrote: What exactly do people want?
A lot just want something to moan about.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18201 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:16 pm

Rileybobs wrote:We have some extremely bitter fans on here. What do you want the club to do ‘for our fans’. They have just constructed some purpose-built disabled facilities ‘for our fans’.

Say no more Riley m8

Like the words of the song by Chas n Dave (for some of our lot)

"Aint no pleasin you" (not you m8 obviously :lol:)

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 588 times

Post by rob63 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:16 pm

martin_p wrote:A lot just want something to moan about.

That's what we're here for! :D

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:27 pm

Rileybobs wrote:What exactly do people want?
I don’t think it’s a deal breaker for any fan but I can understand why people don’t want something that looks ****.

If they think it looks **** they should be allowed to say it looks **** regardless of a free season ticket that was offered ten years ago when the club was begging for few extra £400 sales.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 291 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:28 pm

This really has been done to death.

Expectations change over time. What was acceptable a generation ago, isn’t so much now.

Sure, we get a helluva lot of things right at Burnley at the moment, both on and off the pitch, which we should be applauded for.

BUT, and there is a but, legitimate concerns have been raised over the state of our facilities for some time now. And we’re talking basics here. Hot water, decent food options, concourses that don’t feel like death traps, adequate lighting and drainage in certain places around the system, poor fanzone, dirty toilets, lack of toilets.. I could go on.

As has been said before, if you go on the Turf with your mates, and get in the ground at 1455, and perhaps want a warm beer at HT, then fine.

If like me, you have young kids, then I have to take into account the things already mentioned. Throw in the lack of decent seating, then I am thinking twice about coming. I can go to a national league ground less than 10 miles away and the facilities are on a par, if not better.

I’m not expecting facilities and a ground to rival the new Spurs Stadium, but jeez, let’s have a bit of ******* pride in the place.

It’s very easy to overlook the state of the Turf in places if you see it every other week. You are used to it after all and don’t take any notice. But actually, in parts, the Turf is a dump, and embarrassing for a supposed PL club.
This user liked this post: Turfytop

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:33 pm

TsarBomba wrote:This really has been done to death.

Expectations change over time. What was acceptable a generation ago, isn’t so much now.

Sure, we get a helluva lot of things right at Burnley at the moment, both on and off the pitch, which we should be applauded for.

BUT, and there is a but, legitimate concerns have been raised over the state of our facilities for some time now. And we’re talking basics here. Hot water, decent food options, concourses that don’t feel like death traps, adequate lighting and drainage in certain places around the system, poor fanzone, dirty toilets, lack of toilets.. I could go on.

As has been said before, if you go on the Turf with your mates, and get in the ground at 1455, and perhaps want a warm beer at HT, then fine.

If like me, you have young kids, then I have to take into account the things already mentioned. Throw in the lack of decent seating, then I am thinking twice about coming. I can go to a national league ground less than 10 miles away and the facilities are on a par, if not better.

I’m not expecting facilities and a ground to rival the new Spurs Stadium, but jeez, let’s have a bit of ******* pride in the place.

It’s very easy to overlook the state of the Turf in places if you see it every other week. You are used to it after all and don’t take any notice. But actually, in parts, the Turf is a dump, and embarrassing for a supposed PL club.
What parts of the Turf are dumps,I think it's fine and fit for purpose.

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Which is the National League ground with better facilities ?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:37 pm

Steve1956 wrote:What parts of the Turf are dumps,I think it's fine and fit for purpose.
The Bob Lord stand is old, decrepit, stinks of p*ss and looks like its on its last legs. Still those fans have to sit somewhere I guess

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:37 pm

But you get what you pay for.

Are you happy paying extortionate prices, such as those to watch Spurs?
http://new-stadium.tottenhamhotspur.com ... et-prices/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:38 pm

What sort of food are you normally buying you kids at 2.30ish on a Saturday afternoon, just for comparison.

TsarBomba

Post by TsarBomba » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:38 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:Which is the National League ground with better facilities ?
Leyton Orient

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:48 pm

Not really relevant to 99.9% of Burnley fans with all due respect. Apart from the last season the last few years at Leyton Orient have been an utter shambles.I'll take lukewarm water in the toilets over that all day long.

Murger
Been Liked: 1243 times
Has Liked: 845 times

Post by Murger » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:50 pm

The facilities are dogshit. The fanzone in a tent and toilets in a portaloo are embarrassing.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Claretforever

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:52 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:Not really relevant to 99.9% of Burnley fans with all due respect. Apart from the last season the last few years at Leyton Orient have been an utter shambles.I'll take lukewarm water in the toilets over that all day long.
I still can't get my head round how some supporters think wooden seats are from the dark ages, whereas plastic ones are the latest must-have in a football stadium.

How can sitting on a plastic seat be more comfortable?

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:The Bob Lord stand is old, decrepit, stinks of p*ss and looks like its on its last legs. Still those fans have to sit somewhere I guess
:lol: Cruel!

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:10 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:I don’t think it’s a deal breaker for any fan but I can understand why people don’t want something that looks ****.

If they think it looks **** they should be allowed to say it looks **** regardless of a free season ticket that was offered ten years ago when the club was begging for few extra £400 sales.
My comments weren’t aimed at the posters who don’t like the appearance of the new stands - that is totally subjective. Some people will like it, some won’t. I was responding to posters asking what have the club ever done for the fans - I should have quoted them to make it clear.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:12 pm

But this thread is about the new corner stands, which despite running a long way behind schedule are surely a positive. Why use this thread as a way to regurgitate the same whining about the things that are considered sub-par?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:13 pm

I don't think things like hot water and working hand dryers in the toilets are too much to ask for at a Premier League ground tbh.
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies Claretforever

Leisure
Been Liked: 3786 times
Has Liked: 12473 times

Post by Leisure » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:34 pm

Obviously something/anything that they can moan/complain about!

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:37 pm

You obviously haven't been to Everton!

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:40 pm

Murger wrote:The facilities are dogshit. The fanzone in a tent and toilets in a portaloo are embarrassing.
Embarrassing! That statement is more embarrassing!

Murger

Post by Murger » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:45 pm

Leisure wrote:Embarrassing! That statement is more embarrassing!
Don't give a rats. We are a Premier League club that doesn't provide hot water, have poor half time food facilities, have a fanzone in a tent and toilets in a portaloo.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:51 pm

Murger wrote:Don't give a rats. We are a Premier League club that doesn't provide hot water, have poor half time food facilities, have a fanzone in a tent and toilets in a portaloo.
Where is there no hot water? What food would you like a ht? Most clubs don't even have a fanzone. Can you please name some PL clubs that do? Where would you like permanent toilets to be?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:52 pm

Murger wrote:Don't give a rats. We are a Premier League club
The only part of your statement that is relevant.

Murger

Post by Murger » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:56 pm

Leisure wrote:Where is there no hot water? What food would you like a ht? Most clubs don't even have a fanzone. Can you please name some PL clubs that do? Where would you like permanent toilets to be?
No hot water in the Lower Longside for starters. Can't say owt about the rest of the ground.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:06 pm

Murger wrote:No hot water in the Lower Longside for starters. Can't say owt about the rest of the ground.
Please let me know which block/toilets and I'll report it through the BFC Supporters Groups.

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:09 pm

Leisure wrote:Please let me know which block/toilets and I'll report it through the BFC Supporters Groups.
Jimmy Mac upper blocks 5-6 don’t have hot water. Or certainly haven’t when I’ve used them over the past numbers of years.
Let us know what they say when you report it.
These 3 users liked this post: Turfytop tim_noone Leisure

MDWat
Been Liked: 878 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:11 pm

To be fair, the bogs in the Bob Lord have been in a state of shite for years. Took about 4 seasons for them to put a hand dryer in and the taps regularly don’t work.

The food options at half time are pretty abysmal. No burgers, no chips, just the same old cheap hot dogs and bang average pies.

It’s great that we’ve built the disabled facilities which I’m sure would have been planned regardless of the fact we have to put them in....or not....the cladding looks awful although that’s clearly less important than the fact our disabled fans will now have more than adequate facilities.

I find it baffling that people think you can’t constructively criticise the club. We should always strive to be better. Don’t know why people feel the need to defend it at every single opportunity.
These 3 users liked this post: Murger Turfytop DCWat

Murger

Post by Murger » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:17 pm

Leisure wrote:Please let me know which block/toilets and I'll report it through the BFC Supporters Groups.
The ones nearest the cricketfield. Don't know the block number.
These 2 users liked this post: Turfytop Leisure

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:41 pm

MACCA wrote:Am I ok to call it crap looking, cheaply built and terribly overdue now?

I remember getting castrated for being a miserable git when the plans came out.), and it was quite clear what the end result would be.

The best thing to do in these situations when BFC are concerned is, think the worst, think the cheapest, think the oddest and you'll be either right, or every know again slightly surprised , which you can call a bonus.
I thought it was due to cost more than the entire Long Side? Whatever else it may be, it isn't cheap.

TsarBomba

Post by TsarBomba » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:37 am

martin_p wrote:What sort of food are you normally buying you kids at 2.30ish on a Saturday afternoon, just for comparison.
I live nigh on 300 miles away, and for the last 12 years, I’ve raced back and forth to games, sometimes straight after a night shift.

Countless times I’ve had to dump the car and run, sometimes being as late as half time.

In an ideal world, I, or my kids, wouldn’t touch the food at the Turf, but I’m not that fortunate to live 5 minutes away.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:54 am

TsarBomba wrote:I live nigh on 300 miles away, and for the last 12 years, I’ve raced back and forth to games, sometimes straight after a night shift.

Countless times I’ve had to dump the car and run, sometimes being as late as half time.

In an ideal world, I, or my kids, wouldn’t touch the food at the Turf, but I’m not that fortunate to live 5 minutes away.
I don't live five minutes away either. If you're unhappy with the food pack some sandwiches.
This user liked this post: Steve1956

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:58 am

I’m pleased our disabled fans have got somewhere decent to watch the game.

The rest of it I can’t pretend to be that fussed about. My seat is comfortable, out of the rain, fairly cheap and points towards a Premier League football pitch.

The tap water temperature obsession isn’t a deal breaker, and I prefer the pub to ground based activities. Man City’s are as extensive and slick as you’d imagine but it’s basically a theme park with some football tagged on.

I tell you, the Turf’s ramshackle history, it’s location and view make it the best in the league. You should be proud, not embarrassed.
These 6 users liked this post: Leisure Lord Beamish claretonthecoast1882 Rick_Muller CardyTheClaret Whitgord

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 353 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:09 am

Why wouldn’t you touch the food?

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:16 am

I must admit I couldn’t care less about the facilities. I get a pie every home match. I use the toilets when I must. But it doesn’t register as to whether I’ve had a good day out. That is purely determined by what is on the pitch.

I used to use the disabled facilities to take my dad shortly before he died. They were very poor. These new ones might allow some true clarets to experience a few more matches. What is not to like?
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure Paulclaret