McNeil & Brady

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

McNeil & Brady

Post by gtclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:59 pm

If Brady can regain last seasons form then why is there a choice between him and McNeil, when it has been stated that McNeils natural position is CM

Goobs
Been Liked: 1462 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Re: McNeil & Brady

Post by Goobs » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:04 am

McNeil is better, younger and is a fantastic winger, whether that is is "natural" position or not. There is no doubt in my mind that is where his future lies and if he carries on the way he is going then what a future it will be.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:23 am

Centre midfielder my arse.

Watching him run down the wing and away from goal and still getting a cross in, is a thing of beauty.

We have another Super Mc.
These 9 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Rumpelstiltskin AndyClaret DomBFC1882 Leisure IanMcL Spike KateR Juan Tanamera

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:28 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Centre midfielder my arse.

Watching him run down the wing and away from goal and still getting a cross in, is a thing of beauty.

Spot on. The kid is 19. Ripping teams apart. Uber confident on the ball. Puts the ball over first time almost every time. Yet there are loads clamouring to change his position!
This user liked this post: Spike

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11032 times
Has Liked: 5644 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:47 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Centre midfielder my arse.

Walters said on the telebox that he is a CM being asked to play on the wing

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:37 am

McNeil: What a cracking player we have found.. he was exceptional at Bournemouth especially in the first half.
At one point he had yet another run down the left, with three of their’s tracking him, and he still got a good cross in.

I am trying to think of which other left footed player he reminds me of, and I’m not doing very well.. the names I have are Leighton James, Ryan Giggs, Stan Bowles, Bale and most of all Eddie Grey from back then.

- there is someone else who runs, plays and crosses balls like Dwight McNeil does, but the name is escaping me..?
He has a big future.
This user liked this post: Suratclaret

Dazzler
Been Liked: 875 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:46 am

hampsteadclaret wrote:McNeil: What a cracking player we have found.. he was exceptional at Bournemouth especially in the first half.
At one point he had yet another run down the left, with three of their’s tracking him, and he still got a good cross in.

I am trying to think of which other left footed player he reminds me of, and I’m not doing very well.. the names I have are Leighton James, Ryan Giggs, Stan Bowles, Bale and most of all Eddie Grey from back then.

- there is someone else who runs, plays and crosses balls like Dwight McNeil does, but the name is escaping me..?
He has a big future.
Steve Heighway,Tommy Hutchison..?

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:00 am

To be honest Robbie is going to have work very hard to get his place back in the side .

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:14 am

hampsteadclaret wrote:McNeil: What a cracking player we have found.. he was exceptional at Bournemouth especially in the first half.

He has a big future.
Couldn't agree more ... Every time he got the ball, you could almost see that the defenders panic, especially Cline. What was very impressive was was the quality of his crosses...fired in low, in swinging, swinging away, floated etc. a goalkeepers nightmare. The commentators on BEIN certainly thought he was fantastic.

gtclaret

Post by gtclaret » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:22 am

I know what you mean about him changing positions, but I don't see any clamour. Here is my dream, Taylor Brady and McNeil form a sexy little triangle on the left, now if we can find a right back, we can have him with Jbg and Westwood forming an equally sexy triangle on the right. The 2 WWF wrestlers lead the attack with smaller quicker alternatives available if required (my wife is loving reading this) that's why I want Vidic to be given game time, we would then have the makings to a very good team

gtclaret

Post by gtclaret » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:23 am

And just to prove I'm dreaming, Defour becomes a creditable alternative for SD

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3335 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:39 am

Dazzler wrote:Steve Heighway,Tommy Hutchison..?
Les Thomson??
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure Juan Tanamera

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:11 am

John Robertson

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:31 am

gtclaret wrote:I know what you mean about him changing positions, but I don't see any clamour. Here is my dream, Taylor Brady and McNeil form a sexy little triangle on the left, now if we can find a right back, we can have him with Jbg and Westwood forming an equally sexy triangle on the right. The 2 WWF wrestlers lead the attack with smaller quicker alternatives available if required (my wife is loving reading this) that's why I want Vidic to be given game time, we would then have the makings to a very good team
Trippier?

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times

Post by AndyClaret » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:34 am

McNeil would be wasted in the centre, he can beat his man (or 2), and whip a good cross in.
This user liked this post: Spike

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:27 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Puts the ball over first time almost every time.
Hardly ever puts over a first time cross. This is one of the reasons he's so effective. Likes to dribble and be direct so sometimes it's unpredictable when the ball is coming in....but he nearly always gets his cross over.

Very impressive and barring the game at Newcastle (where virtually all XI looked leggy) has been either 'good' or better than good in all his games since end of December.

I still think he could play in a central 3 and be very effective there. But I also agree that, right now, he's absolutely flying and some opposing teams are struggling to handle him on the wing.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:38 am

Dark Cloud wrote:Les Thomson??
Jim Thomson!

I once saw him run down the wing but he was so knackered that all he could do was run it out of play. I doubt he ever did that again!
This user liked this post: Claret

gtclaret

Post by gtclaret » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:03 am

Stayingup wrote:Trippier?
Now you are dreaming, but imagine his return along with Brady and Defour being fit, and Vidic given an opportunity to come good as Westwood and Taylor did, I think we would be as good as anyone outside the big six, but it's just a dream

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:05 am

It’s inevitable that McNeil will come inside and play the No10 role, eventually. However, he has at least a couple of years to play as a winger to build up his strength and nous.

edison
Been Liked: 345 times

Post by edison » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:07 am

Tribesmen wrote:To be honest Robbie is going to have work very hard to get his place back in the side .
Agree. He did well enough against Georgia recently. I'd not be surprised if he moved on in the summer

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:11 am

He played as CM in a pre season friendly against Preston.

was mightily effective and scored a goal.

On that evidence I thought he was a star in the making before I had seen him on the wing

Maybe when he develops physically and becomes more spatially aware he will change but, for now, he is of most use on the wing

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:16 am

Eventually, as his reputation spreads, teams will have to double up on Mcneil. That may stifle him to some degree. (3 didn't stop him on Saturday!) But, That'll open up things for us. Still a win win for us.

If it's not broke don't try and fix it.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1990 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:18 am

Some great comparisons from Hampstead and Dazzler, apart from Stan Bowles.
Dwight could be another Beckham, desperate to play CM but so effective as a winger he stays there all his career. If we get another two years out of him I’ll be thrilled but we have to accept he is destined for greater heights.
Brady has done nothing wrong but get injured, when he was in incredible form. A bad injury that would always take some getting over. A full pre-season could see him back up to speed and give SD plenty of options.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:13 pm

Brady not even close.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:Hardly ever puts over a first time cross.
He may have meant he puts it over first time as opposed to turning back like so many wide players do, especially when it's not their 'stronger foot'.

I'd keep him out wide though until the summer, because it's not always about playing players in their best position (arguably), but where he's best for the current team.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1041 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by MrTopTier » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:23 pm

Chris Waddle ?

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:25 pm

AndyClaret wrote:McNeil would be wasted in the centre, he can beat his man (or 2), and whip a good cross in.
Nothing stops a player from the middle drifting wide and providing a cross, or taking a man on, and of course the quality of his crossing is really a function of the fact he's an outstanding ball player in the making.

I think he could add an extra dimension to us in the middle next season as a go-between between the midfield 2 and Wood in particular as a main striker (the incident that got Clyne booked on Saturday was a great example of his ability with his back to goal, which probably goes under the radar a little bit), and it's definitely where I see him in the longer term. That said, he's doing a cracking job for us where he is, so if Dyche uses him there next season then that's good enough for me.

summitclaret
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:27 pm

Sane

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:56 pm

The problem with Brady is getting him game time.
He’s hardly played in 17 months and when he has he’s looked incredibly rusty. Hopefully a run of games in pre- season will being some confidence back.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1462 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:57 pm

gtclaret wrote:Now you are dreaming, but imagine his return along with Brady and Defour being fit, and Vidic given an opportunity to come good as Westwood and Taylor did, I think we would be as good as anyone outside the big six, but it's just a dream
I've seen some stuff on here regarding playing Centre backs in midfield, but to want a retired 37 year old centre back playing up front is just bizarre :lol:

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:03 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:The problem with Brady is getting him game time.
He’s hardly played in 17 months and when he has he’s looked incredibly rusty. Hopefully a run of games in pre- season will being some confidence back.
But that's just it isn't it. Brady's come back midway through a season (so without a proper pre-season), had a couple of niggles, lost his route into the side to the emergence of McNeil, served a suspension and then sat on the bench.

It's hardly surprising he's looked rusty and out of rhythm and given he's far from the first player to do a cruciate and then need a few months to get properly back up and running, I'd suggest it's premature to judge Brady before next season and it seems foolish to write him off.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:05 pm

That was my point yes.

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:27 pm

gtclaret wrote:Now you are dreaming, but imagine his return along with Brady and Defour being fit, and Vidic given an opportunity to come good as Westwood and Taylor did, I think we would be as good as anyone outside the big six, but it's just a dream
all we can do is Imagine Defour being fit because he never is!

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3861 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:38 pm

He couldn't play in a midfield two as his defensive game is way off at the moment.

Just let him play with freedom down the left. Watching him play is worth the admission fee alone.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:11 pm

was very excited when we bought Brady, a proper winger I thought at last, sadly has not worked out with all the injuries. He did come back in and was woeful for the one game, at fault for goal IMO and also sent off, which has turned out to be a blessing in disguise. As others have said will really struggle to outs McNeil now and can see him being given game time from the bench plus back up should McNeil get injured or face a ban, this should on present showing be his only way back.

However SD always shows loyalty and wouldn't be surprised to see roles reversed but would be disappointed given what an effect our teenage sensation has been on both the way we play and the confidence/results in 2019.

Can also see plenty of richer teams sniffing around and possible from Germany also given there sudden interest in young British/PL players. Love to know if we have a sell on clause now and hope it is very high because can see him really doing the business over the next 2 seasons for us and would be a huge loss. At the moment would be our biggest loss on the playing side from my point of view looking to the next few seasons.

gtclaret

Post by gtclaret » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:19 pm

Spike wrote:all we can do is Imagine Defour being fit because he never is!
Unfortunately about as likely as Trippier coming, I also fear losing Tarky, and the squad being weaker than it currently is

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:03 pm

Some mad comparisons here! He's an excellent prospect but does he remind me if Giggs, Sane or Bale for instance? No. Giggs apparently came out of the womb world-class, at a younger age than McNeil he had ability on the ball like it was on a string. Bale took a little longer to develop but he had a raw pace and athleticism that McNeil doesn't have. At this point he's as likely to have a career like Jermaine pennant as he is Ryan Giggs. Which by the way ain't bad all told. I hope he becomes the player we all hope he could be but it's really early

holdyourfire
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by holdyourfire » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:34 pm

An out an out winger putting crosses in the box equals chances /goals.

Dazzler
Been Liked: 875 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:56 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:MacNeil:..I am trying to think of which other left footed player he reminds me of, and I’m not doing very well.. the names I have are Leighton James, Ryan Giggs, Stan Bowles, Bale and most of all Eddie Grey from back then.

Steve McManaman ?
Willsclarets wrote:Some mad comparisons here! He's an excellent prospect but does he remind me if Giggs, Sane or Bale for instance? No. Giggs apparently came out of the womb world-class, at a younger age than McNeil he had ability on the ball like it was on a string. Bale took a little longer to develop but he had a raw pace and athleticism that McNeil doesn't have. At this point he's as likely to have a career like Jermaine pennant as he is Ryan Giggs. Which by the way ain't bad all told. I hope he becomes the player we all hope he could be but it's really early
I am not comparing MacNeil to anyone,I'm just trying to help Hampstead on this.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:28 pm

Tribesmen wrote:To be honest Robbie is going to have work very hard to get his place back in the side .
He would need to be reborn.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:32 pm

McNeil is the most exciting player I’ve seen in a long time in a Burnley shirt. He will be attracting interest from many top clubs already and if he carries on developing at such a rapid rate he will end up at The very top. His ability to beat a man and his confidence on the ball is head and shoulders above anyone else in our side, he brings a different dimension to us, strikes fear into the opposition and carries a genuine goal threat. Compare this to Robbie Brady if you can

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:40 pm

FactualFrank wrote:He may have meant he puts it over first time as opposed to turning back like so many wide players do, especially when it's not their 'stronger foot'.

I'd keep him out wide though until the summer, because it's not always about playing players in their best position (arguably), but where he's best for the current team.
Pretty much. I basically meant he crosses it first time every time (almost) as in - the first time its on. Not for the sake of it. But when its an option.

That said, he also does get plenty of good first time crosses in too!

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:49 am

Funny when he got into the side I just wanted him to run at players and yes he lost the ball a good few times , but and I mean but he was having a go and he would get better and has done .
The next question is how long can we keep him for ?

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:13 am

McNeill is by far the best prospect we have had at the club for a very long time.
If we can keep him we should be looking to build the team around him.
I think he will go on to play for England and in a couple of seasons will be talked about in the same class as Rashford, he's that good.

CharlieinNewMexico

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:04 am

First start he put in more crosses in the first 20 minutes than Lennon had all year. Then seemed to be told to sit in a bit and teams seemed to catch up with him. Then he tore Alexander Arnold AND Clyne new posterior openings when let loose. Both capped for England btw.

Doesn't have enough pace for CM. Would be like watching Hoddle, which was great in 1984..

Leave him where he is

Carport
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Carport » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:18 am

Vydra

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:38 am

The thing for me about McNeil is that he is constantly asking the opposition questions. Prior to him coming into the side we had a lot of play in front of them and long diagonals .... and that was about it.

McNeil is not afraid to drive at teams with the ball and he is not afraid to get the ball in the box - which sometimes means losing possession. The flip side to that is Westwood’s goal on Saturday where the cross wasn’t great but Bournemouth defended it terribly and it results in a goal.

The biggest issue for me is him keeping that positivity and not being afraid to lose the ball. The crowd at the Turf can be unforgiving with their moans and groans at times and we have to accept that the nature of a player trying things means he will lose the ball from time to time.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:59 am

Socrates wrote:
The biggest issue for me is him keeping that positivity and not being afraid to lose the ball. The crowd at the Turf can be unforgiving with their moans and groans at times and we have to accept that the nature of a player trying things means he will lose the ball from time to time.
We’re out of the habit of bringing young lads through, as Fans. We need to bear Jay Rodriguez in mind when we think of young Dwight. Progress is often saw-toothed.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3591 times
Has Liked: 1028 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:15 am

McNeil is absolutely class, and I think trying to shove him inside would be a really poor move, personally.

The lad is a winger in every sense. He can beat a man, is deceptively quick (looks slow, and yet constantly seems to break free of his right back) and has a fantastic cross on him. The one downside to him being stuck on the left is that he only tends to get the chance to shoot once or twice at most a game - which considering how unreal his shooting is, is a shame.