Facebook and it's effects on otherwise normal people.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Re: Facebook and it's effects on otherwise normal people.

Post by Claretmatt4 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:24 pm

Was off it for about 5 years. Been on it for a year and deleted it. Zero interesting content it's just people being tagged in memes.

Its a habit that you get into that dulls the senses

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:51 pm

I hate it when reading pub/restaurant reviews and you open a link and it directs you to their only online presence - a crappy Facebook page and the only way you can actually read the menu or whatever is to sign-up or login.
If you're running a business - how about spending a couple of hours putting a website together and link to that instead? Don't presume that everyone of your potential customers is on Facebook. Don't presume that people are going to make the effort and sign-up for FB just so they can find your opening times etc.
This user liked this post: Dazzler

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:56 pm

My other pet hate is betting ads.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:58 pm

I like it best for telling everyone everything I’m doing all the time including what I’m having for tea, when I’m going out and where I am all the time. When I go out instead of enjoying the experience I like to spend all the time on my phone on my Facebook account telling everyone else about it. I need to prove I’m having a better time than others and count up my likes obsessively. I also like to show off the amount of presents I get at birthdays and Christmas and my children’s school reports and achievements. I also can’t spend a day without checking it ;)
To be fair it’s alright for some businesses.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:04 pm

I make two grand a month from facebook.

If I wasn't making money from it (and other social media) I'd delete my accounts.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:26 pm

houseboy wrote:Ha ha! No LB. Game of Thrones is an okay TV programme but I'm not manic about it bud, it just happens to be one of those things that people love to proclaim they hate and wear it like a badge, like X-Factor and Britains Got Talent. The only reason I mentioned it at all is because that was the post that set me thinking. The post is really about peoples 'snobbery' about the popular. I have a long time very good friend, love him, we were in a band together years ago (he's a drummer) and we still keep in touch (as it happens never on FB), but he is the most awful musical snob and discounts most of anything that's popular as rubbish. We agree to differ and laugh.
Thats not fair.... outing Hampstead :roll:
This user liked this post: houseboy

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:02 am

I have travelled extensively and also worked in the dive industry. I have my own environmental Facebook page. For me it is a great tool for keeping in touch with my many friends and ex students worldwide. Yes, I am guilty of posting pics of dishes I have cooked but that has also led to them asking for recipes etc....I see nothing wrong with Social Media platforms if used sensibly and not for hate!
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:47 am

tim_noone wrote:Thats not fair.... outing Hampstead :roll:
It's a kind of man love thing and.....hang on, the hole's getting deeper and.....oh FFS now it's getting even deeper.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:17 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:I make two grand a month from facebook.
If I wasn't making money from it (and other social media) I'd delete my accounts.
What is it you do (to summarize)?

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:21 pm

ClaretDiver wrote:I have travelled extensively and also worked in the dive industry. I have my own environmental Facebook page. For me it is a great tool for keeping in touch with my many friends and ex students worldwide. Yes, I am guilty of posting pics of dishes I have cooked but that has also led to them asking for recipes etc....I see nothing wrong with Social Media platforms if used sensibly and not for hate!
you wont see it but how sad

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:39 am

pushpinpussy wrote:you wont see it but how sad
Not quite sure what you mean but you are really in no position to talk....
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81