Eddie Howe

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Re: Eddie Howe

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:22 am

The one thing about Howe everyone can agree on is " thank f**k you went home"

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:29 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Shush, you're ruining the fairytale that people clearly believe.
What fairy tale is that ?
Pretty obvious that the club will carry liability on its balance sheet for some of the money the owner has put in - is it better to pay corporation tax on profits or interest payments on a loan to the owner subsidising them ?
How many clubs in this league do you think carry bigger loans on their balance sheet than Bournemouth ?
In fact how many clubs in the Championship have bigger loans ? For a start there is a club about 10 miles away with loans nearly twice the size of Bournemouth.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:32 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:The one thing about Howe everyone can agree on is " thank f**k you went home"
Yep that’s right....but also thank f...you joined us in the first place as do you think we would have ever been promoted without Trippier, Mee, Ings, Vokes, Shackell etc ?
These 4 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Colburn_Claret Buxtonclaret k90bfc

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:34 am

TVC15 wrote:What fairy tale is that ?
Pretty obvious that the club will carry liability on its balance sheet for some of the money the owner has put in - is it better to pay corporation tax on profits or interest payments on a loan to the owner subsidising them ?
How many clubs in this league do you think carry bigger loans on their balance sheet than Bournemouth ?
In fact how many clubs in the Championship have bigger loans ? For a start there is a club about 10 miles away with loans nearly twice the size of Bournemouth.
The fairytale the media were waxing lyrical about of course.
I'm against loans that have gotten so big the club will sink without a rich owner subsidizing the club.
That's the part that generally gets ignored and has done since the days of Walker steamrolling everyone else to put Rovers on the top for that brief moment in time.

They never got over what he did, same with Bolton.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:38 am

TVC15 wrote:Yep that’s right....but also thank f...you joined us in the first place as do you think we would have ever been promoted without Trippier, Mee, Ings, Vokes, Shackell etc ?

Well we were never getting promoted under him

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:41 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Well we were never getting promoted under him
Part of the reason we got promoted was because of him and the work he did with the first team though.
That foundation, coupled with Dyche's signings and management got us promoted.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:55 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Part of the reason we got promoted was because of him and the work he did with the first team though.
That foundation, coupled with Dyche's signings and management got us promoted.
And I think the same applies to Cotts and Owen Coyle. Would never have won promotion without Blake, Wade, Alexander, Caldwell, Carlisle.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:05 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:The fairytale the media were waxing lyrical about of course.
I'm against loans that have gotten so big the club will sink without a rich owner subsidizing the club.
That's the part that generally gets ignored and has done since the days of Walker steamrolling everyone else to put Rovers on the top for that brief moment in time.

They never got over what he did, same with Bolton.
Yep but without it Blackburn would never have won the league - they might not have even been promoted to the league. Same with Bournemouth and Bolton.

We are the exception to the rule - not the norm. And let’s not forget we did exactly what you are objecting to the first time we got promoted and we know those debts would have been called in irrespective of being promoted given what happened to Modus...we got lucky.

I don’t advocate it - but I understand why lots of clubs do it. In previous years they got the money from Banks and when things went pear shaped it was the Banks who put them into receivership - but for many clubs they didn’t care...they just started again.
Look at Leicester - built a big swanky new ground. Went into receivership - failed to pay a local construction firm who went bust and had to make everyone redundant whilst Leicester carried on paying Muzzy Izzet £30k a week because of the footballers creditors rule.
Then Banks pretty much pulled out of the sector in terms of lending big amounts to football clubs because nearly all of them went bust at some point - and that was the start of non local owners (mainly) subsidising clubs with big loans where repayment terms were let’s say a little less structured ! Would be interesting to read for example the loan agreement between Blackpool and the Oystons !!

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:34 am

That creditors rule is pretty toss, I'll agree with you there.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:23 am

I've never understood why teams owners are allowed to make loans, that their own books show aren't sustainable. It paints a club into a corner where if the owner gets bored or loses interest on losing his interest, the club could face liquidation.
It's easily solved as well, all loans should be made by the banks. They can be impartial as to whether it is sustainable. If an owner wants to inject cash, then it should be as an unrefundable gift.

I know after the ITV Digital disaster, we were kept going by large loans from the directors, I have no idea whether they were sustainable or not, perhaps others on this board do, but would they have folded the club in order to get their money back. I doubt it..

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:34 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:I see what you did there.
Yes- good effort, but doesn't quite work as "Dunne" (Clive) was the actor's name not the character. But amusing all the same.
This user liked this post: bodge

bodge
Been Liked: 725 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by bodge » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:10 pm

On reflection, Eddie needs to sign Walker as well at right back and I think he needs Glyn Hodges on his coaching staff.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:37 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:I've never understood why teams owners are allowed to make loans, that their own books show aren't sustainable. It paints a club into a corner where if the owner gets bored or loses interest on losing his interest, the club could face liquidation.
It's easily solved as well, all loans should be made by the banks. They can be impartial as to whether it is sustainable. If an owner wants to inject cash, then it should be as an unrefundable gift.

I know after the ITV Digital disaster, we were kept going by large loans from the directors, I have no idea whether they were sustainable or not, perhaps others on this board do, but would they have folded the club in order to get their money back. I doubt it..
You can’t direct banks to lend to football clubs. The banks realised years ago that it’s not a sector they want to be involved in - for obvious reasons. Whilst there are some exceptions the vast majority of football clubs have either been into administration or very close at some point. Which other sector would 90% of the companies go bust ?!!
I agree that the rules need changing - the football creditors rule is beyond ridiculous for example. The Leicester case is a great example but there are lots more. The fair play rules need to change and be a lot harsher if they are serious about penalising a club for financial mismanagement or spending money far in excess of their revenue. Giving them a few million fine is irrelevant if the owners are happy to pay that aswell as subsidies the club with loans. Would they still do this if the penalty was relegation to a lower division ? Hit them where it hurts and keep relegating them if they keep ignoring.

In terms of the ITV digital debacle we were near to going into administration - if you remember it was well reported we needed to raise £500k to avoid this and the chief executive at the time was arranging fund raising events.
In the end we managed to avoid this but we had to cut our cloth accordingly for a few years and Stan was given little or no money in the transfer market - as was Cotterill really. I remember the January transfer windows as a month when the fans thought it was a great window if we didn’t have to sell our best player(s) and having to sell the likes of Andy Gray when he was playing great for us.

As an aside just been with a Bury fan and he was telling me the almighty mess they are in financially. They have not been paying the wages. He told me they have a player on their books who is on £12k a week who has been permanently injured since the summer - Jason Beckford.
And they also signed a player on £8k a week - both unprecedented amounts for a club like Bury.
Since their problems hit the media a few weeks ago they have lost nearly all their games and dropped from 2nd to the play offs.
“Betting the ranch” is happening at so many clubs - it’s part of the culture of football unfortunately.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:59 pm

All managers sign good and bad players. All of them. Forget this laid the foundations nonsense. Good managers get teams promoted and winning things. Those who don’t achieve this aren’t that good.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:44 am

aggi wrote:I think we may have to wait and see if this is the case. A lot of the possible mistakes are still young players who, with the market the way it is at the moment, may still go for pretty substantial sums. People bring up players like Ibe, Solanke, Mings, etc but they're all young enough to at least make their money back if it doesn't work out.
It looks like the Bournemouth policy of buying young and, often, English did come out better than OK in the end with Mings.

Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 241 times

Post by Walton » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:46 am

dandeclaret wrote:All managers sign good and bad players. All of them. Forget this laid the foundations nonsense. Good managers get teams promoted and winning things. Those who don’t achieve this aren’t that good.
Has anyone got stats on how many promotions Howe has won?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:52 am

Walton wrote:Has anyone got stats on how many promotions Howe has won?
Three promotions

Also won manager of the decade in 2015

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:55 am

At least 3.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:28 pm

taken them from 4th to 1st tier so that's three

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:01 pm

He should get a bonus promotion, as he literally pulled them from minus points and certain relegation, to stay in the bottom div. Promotion following season.

Served Bournemouth well.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:37 pm

He's certainly done well but the team he had at the bottom of Division four was in fact a third division one in quality of players.

The purpose of this thread, to criticise the number of goals his team concedes, overlooks the most important point - he's kept them up pretty comfortable each time. That's a fine achievement.