Wembley '09 - One decade on, and what a decade!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4835 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Wembley '09 - One decade on, and what a decade!

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:04 pm

When Steve 'Thommo' Thompson took a swing and brought Reading to their knees, at the Mad Stad, we knew we were going to get our day out at the new Wembley, but no one, absolutely no one could have envisaged the decade that would follow.

This morning I sat through the highlights reel on Sky Sports, which they seem to dig out every year at this time, as a bit of a prequel to the forthcoming play-offs. That fateful day in May '09, we played with such swagger and verve. Yes the history books will report a 0-1 victory, but having just watched it again (yes, I still expected Robbie Blake to score but Kyle Walker gained twenty yards on him and slid in perfectly to deny him....and I still thought Joey would take his chance....similarly, I still expected Mike Dean to point to the spot when Christian Kalvenes brought Walker down in the box), it's an incredibly comfortable 1-0 win, if that can ever be the case!

The first of the last ten years should've been far more memorable than it turned out to be...Coyle's betrayal (and all of his associated biblical references)....the awful performances against Blackburn, Portsmouth and Wolves (home and away)...the arrival of Brian Laws and a relegation on a poor 30 points.

We've had a the Howe and Tindall years...not to everyone's liking....I certainly didn't approve of how Howe treated things in the youth setup, BUT he did sign some fine players....Shackell, Austin, Tripps, Mee, Vokes and Ings. Watching Austin bang in the goals he did for us, was a real pleasure...the manner in which we conceded goals, not so.

Then it was time to roll the Dyche and give an unproven man (some say, unfairly treated at Watford) a chance, on the back of a bloody good PowerPoint and a damn fine interview.

Over Six years later...

....and after a start where many called for Dyche's head (following defeats against Leeds, Huddersfield and Blackpool)....

...2nd place in the Championship (the signing of Tom Heaton, the sale of Austin, bringing in Dave Jones and putting trust in 'VINGS')

* Relegation from the Premier League, but with an improved points haul and a real sense that we could challenge again the following season...

* winning the Championship, Andre Gray's goals, the tussle with Middlesbrough and the cooking of a very important omelette.

* Hitting the trusted '40 point mark' - Steven Defour's arrival, beating Liverpool

* Finishing in 7th place - the emergence of Nick Pope, Ashley Barnes and Chris Wood developing an understanding...

* Europe! Great nights in Aberdeen, Istanbul and Athens - memories that can never be taken away from us.

* 2018/19 - Still work to do, but an incredible second half of the season... Ashley Westwood, 'Mr. Reliable', conducting affairs from the middle, the skipper back in the goals, the continued development of the Wood/Barnes partnership, the development of Charlie Taylor and say it quietly, the sheer pleasure of watching Dwight McNeil get better and better with every game.

Add to all that....the wonderful development of the Barnfield Training Ground Complex and the ongoing work with the new corner stands at Turf Moor...stadiums 85%+ full for almost all games and annual profits and a business model that is to the envy of most other clubs in the league - even those with benefactors (what's one of those?)

Football never operates in straight lines - it's undulating to say the least. Reaching Europe may have been our summit but let's enjoy the view and stay up there for as long as we possibly can.

Thank you Burnley - I can't wait for the Cardiff game on Saturday!

UpTheClarets

J
These 41 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 clansman Guller Bull Rick_Muller BertiesBeehole pushpinpussy Bosscat Goodclaret simonclaret Vintage Claret joey13 turfytopper BFCmaj Jel jtv Falcon mdd2 RalphCoatesComb Blackrod longsidepies evensteadiereddie Raggus Leisure burnleymik Stalbansclaret Down_Rover Frenchclaret TVC15 THEWELLERNUT70 Rowls Colburn_Claret theroyaldyche LoveCurryPies Greenmile africlaret JohnMac whiffa DAVETHEVICAR dpinsussex sox8595 dickidido

jdrobbo

Re: Wembley '09 - One decade on, and what a decade!

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:04 pm

Please feel free to add your highlights from the last ten years....I know I've missed a lot! :-)

Chip Harrison
Been Liked: 126 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by Chip Harrison » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:07 pm

Excellent JD!

Reckoner
Been Liked: 124 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Reckoner » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:09 pm

Long Time Lurker please ignore.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1141 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:11 pm

*Robbie Blake vs Man Utd...
*The volume of noise when Micheal Keane scored vs M'boro..

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:15 pm

I don't think I've ever celebrated a goal as much as the Keano shin v Boro Darren - it gave us unbelievable momentum. We arrived at Deepdale just three or four days later KNOWING that we'd win - a strange feeling to have!
These 2 users liked this post: simonclaret Leisure

clansman
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by clansman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:18 pm

Ing's winner at Ewood,
Two nil up early doors against Liverpool
Boyd's cracker against City
That glorious sunny day down at the Valley with an inflatable trophy and joyous scenes
Boro and Wigan at home, Chelsea away! Yes indeed a fantastic 10 years.
This user liked this post: Leisure

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:28 pm

The list could be never ending such has been our success since Coyle's promotion season but top 3 for me

Reading away (enjoyed it more than the final at Wembley)
Beating the Bast*rds (at last)
Trip to Athens to see Burnley in Europe (probably my #1 experience as a Burnley fan ever)

Honorary mention for Arfields goal celebration at Ewood

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1141 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:30 pm

jdrobbo wrote:I don't think I've ever celebrated a goal as much as the Keano shin v Boro Darren - it gave us unbelievable momentum. We arrived at Deepdale just three or four days later KNOWING that we'd win - a strange feeling to have!
I still get goosebumps from that Boro game John. I screamed like a girl when he bundled it over, and as for Deepdale, well that was a night to remember...

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:39 pm

one of my highlights is Michael Keanes last minute equaliser in front of the Bee Hole end against Middlesboro. was immense to be there. the atmosphere at the end was incredible and the joy on the players faces said it all.

oops just seen the above.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1865 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:40 pm

Claret Till I Die wrote:I still get goosebumps from that Boro game John. I screamed like a girl when he bundled it over, and as for Deepdale, well that was a night to remember...
The away stand was rocking thst night at Deepdale - literally

Walking back to the car after the final whistle and my legs were tingling from the vibrations

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18215 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Chelsea away August 2017 ... 3-0 up and holding on v 9 men at the end ... going on to win 3-2 at the Bridge against the Champions of England.

The stuff stories are written about and everyone says "nah nobody would believe that"

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:49 pm

There is a day, presumably pretty much exactly 5 years ago, when we went to Charlton and won 3-0 during the first Dyche promotion season, and played with such utter conviction that for perhaps the first time ever I knew it was almost inevitably Burnley would win from the first minutes of the game. I don't think I've ever felt so able to soak up an away day before or since so secure in the knowledge we would win - and that's the day I knew we were going up again.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:50 pm

pushpinpussy wrote:one of my highlights is Michael Keanes last minute equaliser in front of the Bee Hole end against Middlesboro. was immense to be there. the atmosphere at the end was incredible and the joy on the players faces said it all.

oops just seen the above.

See link:

https://youtu.be/Y3FpNZn1OTc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure Colburn_Claret

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:52 pm

claretspice wrote:There is a day, presumably pretty much exactly 5 years ago, when we went to Charlton and won 3-0 during the first Dyche promotion season, and played with such utter conviction that for perhaps the first time ever I knew it was almost inevitably Burnley would win from the first minutes of the game. I don't think I've ever felt so able to soak up an away day before or since so secure in the knowledge we would win - and that's the day I knew we were going up again.

See link:

https://youtu.be/hb4c53l5WI4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:54 pm

Great OP!

As said so many highlights over the past 10 years, just a few off the top of my head.

Barnes last minute winner v Palace at home after we'd lost a 2 goal lead and they had just hit the post at the other end.
Keanos equalizer v Brighton away after having a legitimate goal disallowed
3-0 up at halftime away to Chelsea
Beating Liverpool, Man City, Everton, Chelsea, Rovers and drawing with Citeh away after being 2-0 down at half time getting battered

Palace highlights at link: https://youtu.be/OagjY5iGU8E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's hoping for more of the same over the next few years..
These 2 users liked this post: turfytopper Colburn_Claret

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 357 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:55 pm

I think seeing players represent England is a major achievement - Keane, Tawkowski, Heaton, Pope, Cork with Rodriguez and Ings after their Burnley days.

... and also signing Internationals such as Defour, Hart and Lennon to some extent. These are not players looking to play out the rest of their careers, they are players coming to Burnley because they have something to prove. I know they haven't pulled up any trees on a whole, but for a football club I think it shows progress.
These 5 users liked this post: jdrobbo Bosscat turfytopper Falcon Colburn_Claret

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:58 pm

Beating QPR 2-0, the Joey Barton bottle game. I thought we'd fall away up until that point - once we'd beaten them so well I was fully on the bandwagon.
These 2 users liked this post: jdrobbo Blackrod

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:01 pm

Notts that was a superb performance against QPR

https://youtu.be/NA7BFzj8-xw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leisure
Been Liked: 3787 times
Has Liked: 12479 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:17 pm

Must say that I'm certainly looking forward to the 2009 anniversary do on the 11th May. Should be a great evening! UT2009C
This user liked this post: Rowls

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:22 pm

claretspice wrote:There is a day, presumably pretty much exactly 5 years ago, when we went to Charlton and won 3-0 during the first Dyche promotion season, and played with such utter conviction that for perhaps the first time ever I knew it was almost inevitably Burnley would win from the first minutes of the game. I don't think I've ever felt so able to soak up an away day before or since so secure in the knowledge we would win - and that's the day I knew we were going up again.
Scary but it is less than three years ago when hammered Charlton in Dyche 2nd promotion. I totally agree we were awesome.
Last edited by turfytopper on Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:23 pm

Was it not 2014?

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:25 pm

turfytopper wrote:Scary but it is less than three years ago when hammered Charlton in Dyche’s 2nd promotion. I totally agree we were awesome.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:26 pm

Haha, right you are!
This user liked this post: turfytopper

ChrisG
Been Liked: 331 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by ChrisG » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:41 pm

jdrobbo wrote:Was it not 2014?
Beat them 3-0 in 2014 and 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb4c53l5WI4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:45 pm

Add:

JUSTICE

23 unbeaten!!!
This user liked this post: jdrobbo

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3436 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:14 pm

Doing West Ham last Season away and watching their fanbase explode at their owners is quite memorable for me.
City away in the cup last season, yeah we lost but the noise from our fans was incredible for the whole game!

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:40 pm

2-2 away at City after being 2 down at half time. Chelsea last season was unreal. 23 23 undefeated at Charlton and my 10 year old son's first pitch invasion. As good a 45 minutes football as I have seen at Brentford 3 years ago. Win, win and win again against the Bastards.

And reading 'look up, Bastards' after every single match for the last half dozen seasons. Cheers Darren
These 2 users liked this post: Claret Till I Die Claret Till I Die

claretburns
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:52 pm

7 games against them lot down the road and unbeaten, winning 4!

The home win over Leicester last season which for me, got me truly excited for Europe knowing we had done it.

The absolute demolishing of Nottm Forest in the 1st half on t'Turf in the first promotion season.

The win at Blackpool on Good Friday when we thought that would be enough but Derby got the win in the late kick off, still a brilliant day!

Actually winning at Portman Road!

The draw at Reading on the final day of the season in 2014, enjoying our promotion and laughing at their pitch invasion when they thought they'd made the play offs.

And many many more!
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Stalbansclaret

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:58 pm

The home game against Boro was memorable for the atmosphere and noise which was incredible. When we scored the last minute winner at home to Palace I got injured in the celebrations but what a moment. Remember watching the Brighton away game on the screen and wish I could have been there.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:35 pm

Agreed about Man City. Those two goals were so unexpected....we could’ve won it!

boyyanno
Been Liked: 513 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:29 pm

The undefeated run and the *insert number of games here* undefeated song will live long in my memory.

To add to that the Rovers games, especially the celebration when Dyche came back out after we "patiently" waited at Ewood. Developing a bit of a rivalry with Boro and then Keano bundling that goal in.

The Liverpool 2-0, absolutely ran all over them.

The Wigan game that sealed us promotion was pretty nice.

Having some England internationals come through our team.

Beating all the cursed grounds etc, we've smashed some records under Dyche.

I could add hundreds, they're a few I think of but wow thankyou for this post, really puts it all into perspective.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2247 times

Post by mkmel » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:45 pm

I know it's not all about money but surely in those 10 years we must have received at least £500M with more to come?

Leisure
Been Liked: 3787 times
Has Liked: 12479 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:56 pm

Vintage Claret wrote:Barnes last minute winner v Palace at home after we'd lost a 2 goal lead and they had just hit the post at the other end.
Palace highlights at link: https://youtu.be/OagjY5iGU8E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wasn't that a fantastic goal from Barnes!

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:58 pm

Remember us breaking the Ipswich away curse...Scott Arfield giving is us a 1-0 win?

We’ve broken many more since then, as has been alluded to....

Next season, if we’re still in the Prem, we need to try and score a goal at Old Trafford down at the away end? All our goals for the last two or three decades (maybe more) have come at the Stratford End.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1664 times
Has Liked: 2974 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:17 pm

So many fantastic memories on this thread. For all the moaning on this board we have been so incredibly lucky to support this very special club over the last 10 years. Hard to beat a crucial last-minute goal and I'll add Scotty's finish at home to Everton last season, after JBG's shot hit the bar, to those already mentioned. Not sure I went quite a mental as when Keano scored at Brighton or Barnes v Palace though !
Special commendation also for JBG's equaliser from Lowton's superb cross v Man City last season. That was a moment and further enhanced when I was able to discuss it with Sean Dyche in the gents toilet at Stafford Services on the way home (true story)
These 2 users liked this post: jtv tim_noone

exilecanada
Been Liked: 235 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by exilecanada » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:54 pm

For those who witnessed the ‘glory years’, such as myself, this past decade has been nothing short of a miracle. To see our beloved Burnley do a “phoenix”, so to speak, has been nothing but a joy to experience. Long may we survive. Unfortunately, survival in PL is the best we can hope for in this era of ridiculous financial disparity.
These 3 users liked this post: tim_noone Colburn_Claret Bosscat

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:11 pm

mkmel wrote:I know it's not all about money but surely in those 10 years we must have received at least £500M with more to come?
certainly £398.57m in the last 5 years and this season will take it past £550m

exilecanada
Been Liked: 235 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by exilecanada » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:27 pm

The numbers don't matter. If a loaf of bread cost tuppence back in the day, same loaf now cost a billion quid. It's all relative.
This user liked this post: jdrobbo

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:27 pm

Al relative but the numbers I struggle to comprehend at times.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:55 pm

Bashers Barnes' Banger v The Baggys

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5162 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:13 am

Sod the money.

It's been a glorious, wonderful amazing and ineffably brilliant decade.

To pick one single highlight - clinching the league title at Charlton and spending the day with my Dad enjoying the experience. That's truly the stuff dreams are made of for football fans.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Colburn_Claret

frankinwales
Been Liked: 86 times
Has Liked: 649 times

Post by frankinwales » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:43 am

Morning guys, great memories.

I was thinking about this over the weekend seeing how well Sheffield Utd are doing now and just how long it has taken them to get even close to our level again.

Brilliant stuff.

Up the Clarets........

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:13 am

As one lad said the first half at Brentford was as good as anything in those 10 years .

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:16 am

Brentford highlights at link:

https://youtu.be/k5cU4ERK_0I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:20 am

One that hasn’t been mentioned....

Our 3-0 away win at Derby.

Ings, Vokes and Shackell on the scoresheet. Duche’s team had started to gel....

https://youtu.be/F5uHEqUuaNY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:21 am

What was the single best goal during those years? Not which was the most important to winning or league position, but which was the best struck ball?

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:22 am

Also, the 5-1 away win at Pompey under Howe. A hat trick for substitute, Austin and the other two goals from Tripps and Ings.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:29 am

LoveCurryPies wrote:What was the single best goal during those years? Not which was the most important to winning or league position, but which was the best struck ball?
I can still recall Austin's header against Millwall, from outside the box. It was going in as soon as it left his head. Thete are a lot of good shots to pick from, but nothing touched that header for quality.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:48 am

That’s a fantastic question…

There are so many to choose from…

The Ashley Barnes promotion goal at home to Wigan. What a team move!

Take your pick from any of Ashley Barnes’ rockets... Manchester City, Tottenham, West Bromwich Albion, West Ham…

Scott Arfield V Brentford and Blackburn

One of my absolute favourites was the goal scored by Sam Vokes in the game against Nottingham Forest in our first promotion season under Dyche. The skill shown by Trippier in the corner, the perfect cross and perfect header. See link below… PS that was an absolutely outstanding performance that day. We simply blew Nottingham Forest away in the first half.

https://youtu.be/kJMRJgPa5uw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;