Lake District recommendations?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Burnley loyal
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Lake District recommendations?

Post by Burnley loyal » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:29 pm

Looking for a nice moderate walk this weekend with great scenery, not after a big mountain cos my girlfriend would struggle.
Thanks

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Re: Lake District recommendations?

Post by Suratclaret » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:45 pm

Walk round Buttermere...on the level, stunning scenery and some good places to eat in Buttermere Village. You can park at Gatesgarth or Buttermere. I reckon the walk is about 6 miles. Get to Buttermere via Honister pass and back either over Newlands pass or Whinlatter pass to Keswick and see even more stunning scenery.
These 3 users liked this post: Winstonswhite bobinho longsidepies

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 309 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Cat Bells is a good one as it’s not too high so when you get to the top you’re unlikely to be in cloud and will have good views back over Derwent water towards Keswick.

There’s also a few ways up it so you can make the walk as long or as short as you want.

If you’re making a day of it you can get a ten minute boat over Derwent water to the start of the walk, then get the ferry back where there’s a couple of pubs/hotels to get something to eat and drinks afterwards.
These 2 users liked this post: Buxtonclaret turfytopper

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:06 pm

Burnley loyal wrote:Looking for a nice moderate walk this weekend with great scenery, not after a big mountain cos my girlfriend would struggle.
Thanks
Gummers How is a grest walk. It’s also not too deep into the lakes so you’ll avoid all the Easter traffic. (J36 follow to Barrow and turn right at Newby Bridge). You can then pop into Bowness for dinner

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:13 pm

Cat Bells a good shout, as is Wansfell Pike, which gives you fabulous views down Windermere - in both cases if you are up for a shortish climb.

Buttermere is wonderful, but it's a bit of a trek. I'd suggest a walk along the banks of Ullswater - you can park at Patterdale by the White Lion pub, and walk the 6 or so miles along the western shore on a well marked path (with views across the lake to Helvellyn and beyond) to Howtown, just over half way along the lake. You can then have a pint at the Howtown Hotel, and catch the lake steamer back to Glenridding, and it's a short walk back to the White Lion from there.
These 2 users liked this post: alboclaret Bosscat

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:18 pm

Take her up the striding edge on Helvelyn and if she argues give get a friendly nudge .. ;)

Joking apart Helvelyn is a nice easy stroll around for you. 8-)
This user liked this post: ossyrob

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:20 pm

conyoviejo wrote:Take her up the striding edge on Helvelyn and if she argues give get a friendly nudge .. ;)
Thought that was a euphemism til ya mentioned helvelyn. ;)
This user liked this post: conyoviejo

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:38 pm

Ambleside to Grasmere.

Leave Ambleside by the church or bottom of the carpark and take the lane. At the main road take the track on the left and it goes up to the cave. Easy to follow from there, as you can see your destination.
You have the option of walking back or looking round d Grasmere and taking the bus back.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:47 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:Ambleside to Grasmere.

Leave Ambleside by the church or bottom of the carpark and take the lane. At the main road take the track on the left and it goes up to the cave. Easy to follow from there, as you can see your destination.
You have the option of walking back or looking round d Grasmere and taking the bus back.
Did that exact walk last year with my daughter and the grandchildren. An excellent suggestion.
The food and the beer in Grasmere was my inspiration and it didn't let me down.

Of course I got a free bus ride back to Ambleside with my bus pass and they paid about £12 for 2
adults and 2 children.

Fabulous day out, give it a whirl.
These 2 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret tim_noone

alboclaret
Been Liked: 142 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Post by alboclaret » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:29 pm

another hit for catbells but be busy (like most places I guess)
if from ambleside head for loughrigg terrace -elterwater-little langdale (take in the cathedral cavern)- head back through skelwith bridge plenty of options to make it longer after little langdale like heading back over black crag or loughrigg again.

lower level stuff, lovely place, loads of possible dinner/pint stops

another option and fabulous place to be is the ullswater lake side loop. from Patterdale the bridleway starting south east of the lake, head north up to Sandwick the back through the boredale Valley, it's quick an impressive place to be. back down to Patterdale via boredale hause .

enjoy
This user liked this post: dougcollins

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6157 times

Post by KateR » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:52 pm

Langdale Pikes through the valley and follow the signs, can go over the top and end up in Grassmere, so both ends you get something good, Langdale has the bets pubs I have visited in the lakes, Wainwrights is one I especially like and Grassmere has plenty to look at. You can get the bus back if you don't feel like walking so an easy trip.

We did it with 2 late 60 year olds, took a picnic and had lunch up at the top with Windermere in the distance and Grassmere behind us looking up Langdale pikes, fab view and walk.

davemanu2000
Been Liked: 1145 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by davemanu2000 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:00 pm

Members of my family and I have visited the Lake District two years back . It is a wonderful place .It is just walking among the moving clouds in heaven .
This user liked this post: tim_noone

beddie
Been Liked: 1384 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:32 pm

Ambleside to Troutbeck and back via Wansfell.
Out of Ambleside follow the A591 towards Winderemere out of town along Lake Road, then take Old Lake Road on the left. Look for a small road to the left signposted Jenkins Crag, Skelghyll woods and Troutbeck (bridleway).
Grid ref: NY376044. Probably about 5/6 mikes. A few climbs but nothing strenuous with some great viewpoints.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2316 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:41 pm

Walk round Tarn Hows.

Feed her in Coniston after.

If its dark after your walk you might wanna try to get yer hole on the national trust car park at top end of lake.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:42 pm

For a nice easy walk i always like going round from Great Langdale to Little Langdale. Not many go on it due to the more famous walks nearby but the views are second to none.

Enjoy wherever you choose to go.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:16 pm

Tarn Hows - between Coniston and Hawkshead. Stunning, go to the Crown in Coniston or the Red Lion in Hawkshead for food although google is saying not open till April.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:33 pm

Another for Loughrigg Terrace, the best views for the least expenditure of effort.

Burnley loyal

Post by Burnley loyal » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:09 pm

Iv lots of options now, thank you. Probably will try the buttermere walk first as Iv decided I want to camp in the borrowdale valley.
Thanks again

Carport
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Carport » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:39 pm

NL Claret wrote:Tarn Hows - between Coniston and Hawkshead. Stunning, go to the Crown in Coniston or the Red Lion in Hawkshead for food although google is saying not open till April.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:14 pm

Burnley loyal wrote:Iv lots of options now, thank you. Probably will try the buttermere walk first as Iv decided I want to camp in the borrowdale valley.
Thanks again
Visit the Bowder Stone and shake hands under it. After reading the link that is no longer possible but it’s still worth a stop.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowder_Stone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:18 pm

Go to Barley instead - it's really quiet apparently.

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:21 pm

Over Wrynose and Hardknott passes (only if you are a very confident driver) to the Roman Fort at Hardknott. Then park at the bottom of the hill and walk along the path up to Harter Fell. Incredible views over Eskdale and the Scafells

lakesider
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by lakesider » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:58 pm

Burnley loyal wrote:Iv lots of options now, thank you. Probably will try the buttermere walk first as Iv decided I want to camp in the borrowdale valley.
Thanks again
If you're camping in Borrowdale there's a smashing walk right there so no car needed. From the campsite(s) walk a little way on the B5289 towards Honister. Look for a small car park on your RH side. At the back of the car park a path starts which is a bit steep but thankfully short (no scrambling required!). This will lead you onto an easy pathway that goes back right along the valley with fantastic views. You will eventually reach Castle Crag which is worth a climb ( at the jaws of Borrowdale) but you don't have to. The path wends its way slowly downwards again to reach the river Derwent. Walk finishes with a lovely bit river walking back to your site. Allow 3 easy hours.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:28 pm

If you're bringing a dog, keep it on a lead. The farmers won't hestitate to shoot them if they're off the lead and away from their owner near sheep at the moment. 4 or 5 dogs a day generally go missing in the Lakes as well so worth keeping any on a lead anyway.
This user liked this post: Suratclaret

beddie
Been Liked: 1384 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:51 pm

deanothedino wrote:If you're bringing a dog, keep it on a lead. The farmers won't hestitate to shoot them if they're off the lead and away from their owner near sheep at the moment. 4 or 5 dogs a day generally go missing in the Lakes as well so worth keeping any on a lead anyway.
We've been walking at Hawes today, we noticed one owners dog lead had slipped off his hand, the dog immediately started chasing groups of lambs, luckily it wasn't vicious and didn't cause too much harm, it took the owner some time to get the dog back, lucky for him the farm was some distance away and the farmer not in sight. All ended well but it's awful watching It take place though.

Burnley loyal

Post by Burnley loyal » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:49 am

lakesider wrote:If you're camping in Borrowdale there's a smashing walk right there so no car needed. From the campsite(s) walk a little way on the B5289 towards Honister. Look for a small car park on your RH side. At the back of the car park a path starts which is a bit steep but thankfully short (no scrambling required!). This will lead you onto an easy pathway that goes back right along the valley with fantastic views. You will eventually reach Castle Crag which is worth a climb ( at the jaws of Borrowdale) but you don't have to. The path wends its way slowly downwards again to reach the river Derwent. Walk finishes with a lovely bit river walking back to your site. Allow 3 easy hours.
I’m camping in the small village of stonethwaite, sonim
Not far off. Thank you

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:03 am

Burnley loyal wrote:I’m camping in the small village of stonethwaite, sonim
Not far off. Thank you
Burnley Loyal...you're not Prince Charles in disguise are you...he stays in Borrowdale now and again and , of course, has been to Burnley several times? :D

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 365 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:05 pm

Burnley loyal wrote:I’m camping in the small village of stonethwaite, sonim
Not far off. Thank you
Camped there a lot when younger, chapel house farm? Went past a few weeks back and walked up Scafell from Seathwaite. There’s a couple of pubs near by, warning we dropped into the Scafell Hotel for food but they shut 2:30pm until tea on a Sunday

Bop
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:45 pm

Oddbins in Kendal.