Queen Street Mill

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2973 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Queen Street Mill

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:57 am

Set to reopen again after a lengthy closure.

Good news.

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/que ... -1-9706728" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 3 users liked this post: Lord Beamish Suratclaret turfytopper

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Re: Queen Street Mill

Post by Suratclaret » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:15 am

Good news indeed...fantastic place to visit.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1049 times

Post by CleggHall » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:36 am

Excellent news, Burnley was built on cotton and should be proud of its history, working in a cotton mill was damned hard graft as Queen Street Mill reminds us.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:56 pm

CleggHall wrote:Excellent news, Burnley was built on cotton and should be proud of its history, working in a cotton mill was damned hard graft as Queen Street Mill reminds us.
Not sure what Queen Street Mill is but I assume it's some kind of museum gloryfying the cotton industry? Why? The cotton industry was built not on glory but the blood sweat and tears of vastly underpaid workers who were 'fined' for being late and accidentally breaking/losing any equipment. Children died under the looms because they had to sweep them as they were running. Shed workers wound up deaf from the noise, not to mention seriously ill from cotton dust. Mill owners grew fat and wealthy on the back of what was almost slave labour and many workers lived in houses belonging to the mill owner so if sacked would also lose their home.

I worked for quite a while as a younger guy in that industry in various departments (loom sweeper/warehouseman/cropper amongst other things) and if you have ever heard the sheer din of a shed full of old Lancashire looms (driven by unguarded belts and kicking up fabric dust) you would understand why many, including me, see no glory at all in it. And what I witnessed was the more 'modern' era so thankfully I never had to see the child labour or the criminal 'fines' inflicted on workers but I did see stuff that would now see owners jailed for health and safety reasons (and I don't mean namby pamby healthy and safety but real danger to life and limb).

Pride? Glory? Museums like this should only be there to say 'this should never happen again'.
Last edited by houseboy on Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: karatekid

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1049 times

Post by CleggHall » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:44 pm

Exactly houseboy, the museum represents all this and we should never forget, "good old days" it was not.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:07 pm

CleggHall wrote:Exactly houseboy, the museum represents all this and we should never forget, "good old days" it was not.
Perhaps it's not such a bad thing then. I just get a little concerned when we start 'gloryfying' things that simply are not glorious at all. I worked in the cotton industry through most of my teens and into my mid 20's at various places and worked at a place in Haslingden that must have had the last strap driven Lancashire loom mill in Lancashire (or possibly anywhere) and it was like working back in historic times. Obviously things improved at most places with things such as 'air looms' imported from Switzerland (amazing how relatively quiet they were), but it was not a great atmosphere to work in. Even as late as the 1970's there was still, among the older workers, a lot of 'cap doffing' to the bosses and 'respect' that seemed to come out of fear. There are a lot of things wrong with the modern world without a doubt, but that side of life I don't miss in the slightest.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:15 pm

Ah yes the good old days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xku4HTKFi94" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Not sure the engine house is open yet as last year the chimney was being repaired after bricks fell out and through the roof.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:44 pm

I thought it was part of the No Deal Brexit contingency plans

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6362 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:08 pm

What are you talking about Houseboy?

I heard that the masters were kindly folk who, if you worked hard for your 6 days a week, may, on occasion, smile all the way to the bank!

grapidianclaret
Been Liked: 317 times
Has Liked: 225 times

Post by grapidianclaret » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:37 pm

houseboy wrote:Perhaps it's not such a bad thing then. I just get a little concerned when we start 'gloryfying' things that simply are not glorious at all. I worked in the cotton industry through most of my teens and into my mid 20's at various places and worked at a place in Haslingden that must have had the last strap driven Lancashire loom mill in Lancashire (or possibly anywhere) and it was like working back in historic times. Obviously things improved at most places with things such as 'air looms' imported from Switzerland (amazing how relatively quiet they were), but it was not a great atmosphere to work in. Even as late as the 1970's there was still, among the older workers, a lot of 'cap doffing' to the bosses and 'respect' that seemed to come out of fear. There are a lot of things wrong with the modern world without a doubt, but that side of life I don't miss in the slightest.
I worked in a mill for a couple of years too. Not a glorious job but it was interesting. I don't think the museum glorifies,it informs. Those who seek glory from it, can probably find it(good luck to them), those who see it as an indication of our history will find that too. so the same with all museums. Not sure if the Imperial war Museum glorifies war. I went there as a kid,and certainly didn't sprint out of it to join the services.

To prevent the errors of the past from being created again, we need to know about them. although, it doesn't seem to be working at the moment.
This user liked this post: houseboy

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:53 pm

My first summer job was painting in a textile factory. Luckily, it was in the dye shop and packing warehouse. After uni I did a lot of work on the office side of a number of textile mills. Yes, always noisy and dusty in the mills.

My grandfather was a mill worker - when he was working, but not much work thru most of the 30s. He was in his 60s when cotton lung took him.

Most jobs in "days gone by" were tough. Anyone fancy working done the pits? or labouring, when it really was a "pick and shovel" job?

Or an accountant before calculators and computers were invented? ;)

Yes, it's important that we understand our past. I'm sure it will help us all appreciate the present a little more.

PS: Just kidding about the accountant's job - though £-s-d made the adds a lot harder!

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:02 pm

IanMcL wrote:What are you talking about Houseboy?

I heard that the masters were kindly folk who, if you worked hard for your 6 days a week, may, on occasion, smile all the way to the bank!
I had a spell at queen st Mill.... Roller carrying ..they paid you on a Wednesday lunchtime :o off to the commercial for a spot of underage drinking and went back the next morning...The manager "Bill" would just scratch his head..people in the mill seemed happy enough to me can't recall work place bullying or the like. But with hindsight most were death traps and health hazards.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:30 pm

I worked in a weaving shed at 18 and IT WAS MY JOB. I did my 8,10 or 12 hours and took my pay. That's what work is about.

Trying to make Political statements about this topic is wrong.

I am not a Mill Owner, or from the privileged class but, do your work - collect your pay, or get another job !
This user liked this post: tim_noone

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:38 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:I worked in a weaving shed at 18 and IT WAS MY JOB. I did my 8,10 or 12 hours and took my pay. That's what work is about.

Trying to make Political statements about this topic is wrong.

I am not a Mill Owner, or from the privileged class but, do your work - collect your pay, or get another job !
And what other job would that be ?

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:13 pm

joey13 wrote:And what other job would that be ?
Most people in work moan about it.... I think Ralph Enjoyed his job it put food on the table it's a pride thing. :D

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:08 pm

houseboy wrote:Not sure what Queen Street Mill is but I assume it's some kind of museum gloryfying the cotton industry? Why? The cotton industry was built not on glory but the blood sweat and tears of vastly underpaid workers who were 'fined' for being late and accidentally breaking/losing any equipment. Children died under the looms because they had to sweep them as they were running. Shed workers wound up deaf from the noise, not to mention seriously ill from cotton dust. Mill owners grew fat and wealthy on the back of what was almost slave labour and many workers lived in houses belonging to the mill owner so if sacked would also lose their home.

I worked for quite a while as a younger guy in that industry in various departments (loom sweeper/warehouseman/cropper amongst other things) and if you have ever heard the sheer din of a shed full of old Lancashire looms (driven by unguarded belts and kicking up fabric dust) you would understand why many, including me, see no glory at all in it. And what I witnessed was the more 'modern' era so thankfully I never had to see the child labour or the criminal 'fines' inflicted on workers but I did see stuff that would now see owners jailed for health and safety reasons (and I don't mean namby pamby healthy and safety but real danger to life and limb).

Pride? Glory? Museums like this should only be there to say 'this should never happen again'.
The thing is, at the time you are talking about with child labour, 1 minute late and locked out etc., it was the norm for all working folk yet people took great pride in what they achieved despite earning a pittance for very hard, dangerous graft. Burnley folk were regarded as some of the hardest working, diligent and prideful people in Lancashire by many outsiders - read Cotton is King to see this mentioned a couple of times! If cotton weaving was not your thing their were choices available in engineering works, breweries, transport, labouring, farming, construction, mining, railways, gasworks, shops and so on but every one of those involved being almost almost slave labour where the owners grew fat and wealthy on the blood, sweat and tears of vastly underpaid workers!

Office workers suffered the same demands for working hard and being on time. Clerks had to stand all day and their handwriting had to be absolutely correct at all times or they could be punished and even dismissed. Book-keeping ledgers had to be spot on as profit margins were easily undone by a small error or misplaced digit!

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:14 am

bfcmik wrote:The thing is, at the time you are talking about with child labour, 1 minute late and locked out etc., it was the norm for all working folk yet people took great pride in what they achieved despite earning a pittance for very hard, dangerous graft. Burnley folk were regarded as some of the hardest working, diligent and prideful people in Lancashire by many outsiders - read Cotton is King to see this mentioned a couple of times! If cotton weaving was not your thing their were choices available in engineering works, breweries, transport, labouring, farming, construction, mining, railways, gasworks, shops and so on but every one of those involved being almost almost slave labour where the owners grew fat and wealthy on the blood, sweat and tears of vastly underpaid workers!

Office workers suffered the same demands for working hard and being on time. Clerks had to stand all day and their handwriting had to be absolutely correct at all times or they could be punished and even dismissed. Book-keeping ledgers had to be spot on as profit margins were easily undone by a small error or misplaced digit!
Absolutely agree with all of this bud. Things were different then without a doubt. Do you think though that the 'pride' thing (which you are correct about) was a result of brainwashing into thinking that they 'should be' proud? It's a bit like when war is declared and suddenly everyone becomes 'proud' of the nation and men queue up to fight, regardless of whether your nation is in the right or not. I don't know if this is the case but I can't help but wonder when people are so enthusiatic about things that really they shouldn't be.

Cryssys
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Cryssys » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:27 am

On a different note, I remember climbing over the walls when I was a kid to fish in the mill pond . It was stuffed with small carp!
This user liked this post: houseboy

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:02 pm

houseboy wrote:Absolutely agree with all of this bud. Things were different then without a doubt. Do you think though that the 'pride' thing (which you are correct about) was a result of brainwashing into thinking that they 'should be' proud? It's a bit like when war is declared and suddenly everyone becomes 'proud' of the nation and men queue up to fight, regardless of whether your nation is in the right or not. I don't know if this is the case but I can't help but wonder when people are so enthusiatic about things that really they shouldn't be.
It may well have been brain-washing but, like following a football team, I think it is engrained in people to feel ownership of the things we do or take as 'ours' and from that comes our feelings of pride in whatever it is. Often, we escape from the drudgery of our humdrum working lives by taking pride in the achievements we make at our job or things that others of our community do.

Why else would we feel proud of BFC for having beaten Spurs, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea etc. during our current spell in the Premier League. Why else would we still feel proud of our club's ongoing 23 match unbeaten run in the Championship, or for being the English Champions back in 1921 and 1960, or for taking thousands to York and many other esoteric feats.

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:20 pm

houseboy wrote:Not sure what Queen Street Mill is but I assume it's some kind of museum gloryfying the cotton industry? Why? The cotton industry was built not on glory but the blood sweat and tears of vastly underpaid workers who were 'fined' for being late and accidentally breaking/losing any equipment. Children died under the looms because they had to sweep them as they were running. Shed workers wound up deaf from the noise, not to mention seriously ill from cotton dust. Mill owners grew fat and wealthy on the back of what was almost slave labour and many workers lived in houses belonging to the mill owner so if sacked would also lose their home.

Problem is.... Who made the shirt your (likely) to be wearing now? What about their conditions? Probably worse than when cotton was king in Lancashire.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:34 pm

turfytopper wrote:Problem is.... Who made the shirt your (likely) to be wearing now? What about their conditions? Probably worse than when cotton was king in Lancashire.
Haven't got a shirt.....had it ripped off my back with creditors. ;)

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:44 pm

bfcmik wrote:It may well have been brain-washing but, like following a football team, I think it is engrained in people to feel ownership of the things we do or take as 'ours' and from that comes our feelings of pride in whatever it is. Often, we escape from the drudgery of our humdrum working lives by taking pride in the achievements we make at our job or things that others of our community do.

Why else would we feel proud of BFC for having beaten Spurs, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea etc. during our current spell in the Premier League. Why else would we still feel proud of our club's ongoing 23 match unbeaten run in the Championship, or for being the English Champions back in 1921 and 1960, or for taking thousands to York and many other esoteric feats.
I think that kind of pride comes from doing something out of choice that we (hopefully) enjoy and can relate to. Being proud of a life of drudgery is a whole other thing and is something that is somehow mystifying. I still think the fear factor was involved a lot. It might also come down to lack of education in many ways, people didn't realise that there could be a whole other life (although opportunity was limited then). People were 'educated' to do what their fathers and grandfathers (and mothers) did before them and they were never given the opportunity to aspire to anything else. Even at school they were educated to not speak back to their 'betters' and I think that is what kept people fairly content. They were kept in ignorance to a large degree and I suppose that is what I meant by brainwashing. Being kept in ignorance is just as bad as being lied to.
This user liked this post: bfcmik

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:05 pm

turfytopper wrote:Problem is.... Who made the shirt your (likely) to be wearing now? What about their conditions? Probably worse than when cotton was king in Lancashire.
I think they made those horrendous swimming trunks that were handed out at north street and central Baths!!