Match of the Day

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1506 times

Re: Match of the Day

Post by Goodclaret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:35 am

I think I'll watch Goals on Sunday for a slightly more clued up review of yesterdays games.

One of my mini moans about MOTD is the clearly non live, live commentary. The amount of times they say something like "oh and they haven't scored from a corner this season" then, hey presto, they score from a corner!! Either it's edited in after or they are amazingly consistent at predicting incidents.
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:39 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:Because the ref didn’t think Taylor was pushed so that part of the debate is irrelevant. For the record I don’t think it was a penalty but not because Taylor was pushed.
Fair enough

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:03 am

With VAR our first goal would’ve been disallowed, Barnes offside and infront of the keeper. Did MoTD mention that?

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:11 am

Watching pundits analysis is painful.

Ian Wright doesn’t know the laws of the game if he thinks a shot on target hitting a hand unintentionally with hands in natural position is a pen......

Paul Merson goes on about the Tarky one as a stonewall pen because quote “you can tell by the reaction of the players” and then “I only saw it once”. Here’s the thing Paul, watch it again and you’ll see that it hit his knee....oh and Mike Dean was stood right next to the incident with the best view of it hitting his knee in the stadium. Apparently because he falls down to try to block the ball it must have hit his arm and must be a pen because all the desperate Cardiff players claimed

beddie
Been Liked: 1382 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:30 am

I too thought that if Ian Wright believed Ben handled the ball intentionally (not the headed one on to his hand) he' doesn't know the laws of the game. He was good whilst with us but Stan got him out of an unhappy situation, however, I don't even think he wants people to know he played for us.

bumba
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 192 times

Post by bumba » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:40 am

Hibsclaret wrote:Watching pundits analysis is painful.

Ian Wright doesn’t know the laws of the game if he thinks a shot on target hitting a hand unintentionally with hands in natural position is a pen......

Paul Merson goes on about the Tarky one as a stonewall pen because quote “you can tell by the reaction of the players” and then “I only saw it once”. Here’s the thing Paul, watch it again and you’ll see that it hit his knee....oh and Mike Dean was stood right next to the incident with the best view of it hitting his knee in the stadium. Apparently because he falls down to try to block the ball it must have hit his arm and must be a pen because all the desperate Cardiff players claimed
Merson never mentions a stonewall penalty he says it could of been an the reaction of the players suggests to him it was but that he'd only seen it once so would like to see a replay because he couldn't be sure.
Don't get the vendetta against Merson on here when were poor he says were poor, when were good he's one of the first to get how we play an says we're good an is very complimentary of us. A lot of pundits, managers, players slag us off saying we're direct etc but he understands how we have to play

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:47 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:Because the ref didn’t think Taylor was pushed so that part of the debate is irrelevant. For the record I don’t think it was a penalty but not because Taylor was pushed.
How do you know what the ref thought? He might’ve judged it (wrongly) as six and half a dozen, or he may have thought Taylor was fouled but played on as we came away with the ball (as he did a few times during the game).

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:51 am

FactualFrank wrote:"So Ian... why do you hate Burnley so much?"
He’s a poor pundit and there’s no way on earth there were 3 real penalty claims. It’s lazy reporting just focusing on that. Wright doesn’t constantly overly sing our praises but I have heard him praise us and say he has a soft spot for us in the radio particularly when Sutton was having a go at us.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:07 am

My opinion for what it's worth is that there was no blatantly wrong decisions, they are all open to interpretation.

Our first goal was good. No offside, Barnes was not inerfering with play and goal would have been scored regardless.

Mee had no chance to get his arm out of the way in both instances, he was so close to the player when he shot and headed down onto his arm, neither were deliberate.

Same with Tarks, was not deliberate and too close to call.

Finally, Taylors tackle was not a penalty. They got their legs tangled and Taylor actual gets the ball with his left as he's going down and knocks it slightly sideways as the Cardiff player went down far too easliy.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:16 am

I’d love to see Ian Wright, Paul Merson, Robbie Savage, and Chris Sutton trying to get out of an Escape Room. You’d have to take Shifts to watch it.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:32 am

The first one was not a penalty because the ref did not give it

The second one was not a penalty because the linesman was an idiot. I know this because the ref told him

The third one was not a penalty because the ref did not give it

Cardiff lost because they did not score enough goals and were crap

That is why Warnock is going down.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 323 times
Has Liked: 363 times

Post by Woonderbah » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:34 am

If the challenge on Ashley Barnes in the Southampton game wasn't deemed a penalty then that certainly wasn't a penalty yesterday.

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 451 times

Post by expoultryboy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:38 am

Don't give a monkey's , i can finally relax watching the next few games .

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:47 am

It’s a shame that so much of the focus was on the non-penalties, which with the benefit of replays were all correct decisions. Instead, the pundits could have put a short piece together showing McNeil’s fantastic contribution. They love a pre-determined narrative though and after the decisions against Chelsea the media were always going to be looking for more refereeing controversy.

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 am

Blyclaret wrote:Wright couldent wait to say penalties
Was a great player but a toss pot of a man.
You can see why they don't have Ince and Wright on together.
These 2 users liked this post: nil_desperandum Bosscat

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:56 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:How can you not see that Gunnarsson pushes him in the back, and if you do see him push him over how can it be a pen?
From my POV in the bob lord, the Gunnarson one was an obvious push by the Cardiff player. For some reason, motd never showed it from that angle. If he’d have given a pen for that I’d have been beyond fuming

As for VAR I’m hoping none get given. The PSG incident the player had his hands above his head, Mees were by his side on both occasions. If those get given we might as well give up.

I must confess I’m a bit nervous about the way var will be implemented next season as we do block a lot of shots compared to other teams

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:01 am

bumba wrote:Merson never mentions a stonewall penalty he says it could of been an the reaction of the players suggests to him it was but that he'd only seen it once so would like to see a replay because he couldn't be sure.
Don't get the vendetta against Merson on here when were poor he says were poor, when were good he's one of the first to get how we play an says we're good an is very complimentary of us. A lot of pundits, managers, players slag us off saying we're direct etc but he understands how we have to play
Be an idea if Merson knew the players names for a start it’s not that difficult
This user liked this post: CleggHall

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:44 am

You have to love the way that we ended up fifth on the order last night. The BBC made it their main game on 5Live as clearly it was the most important game of the day. If Cardiff had won it would have been first. Little old Burnley win? Chuck it right to the end.

Untinted Glasses
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 152 times

Post by Untinted Glasses » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:52 am

Ask your self this, if those incidents were the other way around and we were claiming the penalties would your opinion be different.
I guarantee if the boot was on the other foot they would be plenty on here saying they were all penalties. Get a grip and look at it from a neutral point of view. In my opinion all 3 could have been given, we got lucky.
This user liked this post: Middle-agedClaret

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:02 pm

Untinted Glasses wrote:Ask your self this, if those incidents were the other way around and we were claiming the penalties would your opinion be different.
I guarantee if the boot was on the other foot they would be plenty on here saying they were all penalties. Get a grip and look at it from a neutral point of view. In my opinion all 3 could have been given, we got lucky.
I can honestly say that if the boot was on the other foot I would still be of the opinion that none of the incidents should have resulted in a penalty. The highlights prove the referee was correct in each incident.

joey13

Post by joey13 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:04 pm

Untinted Glasses wrote:Ask your self this, if those incidents were the other way around and we were claiming the penalties would your opinion be different.
1. None of them were penalties, the Tarkowski one is an absolute joke clearly came off his knee
2. Man U equaliser
3.Wood’s goal at Watford
4. We’re not neutral
Although today I have decided to become gender neutral

Goddy
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Post by Goddy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:12 pm

Rileybobs wrote:I can honestly say that if the boot was on the other foot I would still be of the opinion that none of the incidents should have resulted in a penalty. The highlights prove the referee was correct in each incident.
Not sure if it's been mentioned but the first 'handball' reminded me of the one last week when Barnes blasted against Ake's(?) hand/arm. Neither were, rightly given

willsclarets
Been Liked: 680 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:18 pm

Why would Ian Wright hate us, and why unless you were 10 years old would you care in any case. Never ceases to amaze me how angry people get about pundits not falling to their knees in praise of Burnley.
This user liked this post: Middle-agedClaret

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:33 pm

willsclarets wrote:Why would Ian Wright hate us, and why unless you were 10 years old would you care in any case. Never ceases to amaze me how angry people get about pundits not falling to their knees in praise of Burnley.
Maybe it's because he's claiming that they were penalties and Cardiff were robbed. Savage you can understand, he's Welsh and an ex *******, but every neutral pundit, on Sky, on the radio says that none of them were penalties. It's this pity poor Cardiff syndrome, which I can understand, but you can't change the rules to satisfy a wish. You expect pundits to be neutral, and honest, he's clearly neither. I don't know why he isn't but it's not the first time he's chosen to take the opposition point of view.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

Post by mkmel » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:37 pm

beddie wrote:I too thought that if Ian Wright believed Ben handled the ball intentionally (not the headed one on to his hand) he' doesn't know the laws of the game. He was good whilst with us but Stan got him out of an unhappy situation, however, I don't even think he wants people to know he played for us.

His last ever game in his career was coming on for us as a sub in final game of the season away at Scunthorpe

Not the most glamorous of endings

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:50 pm

addisclaret wrote:God, we've got players kissing and people pulling themselves. What's the game coming to? Disgusting! :)
I was thinking the same thing. Back in the day all those things were saved for in the baths afterward.
This user liked this post: addisclaret

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:52 pm

Wright’s never been a good pundit but I’ve never thought he’s been biased against Burnley.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:58 pm

Rileybobs wrote:It’s a shame that so much of the focus was on the non-penalties, which with the benefit of replays were all correct decisions. Instead, the pundits could have put a short piece together showing McNeil’s fantastic contribution. They love a pre-determined narrative though and after the decisions against Chelsea the media were always going to be looking for more refereeing controversy.
Exactly

bumba

Post by bumba » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:12 pm

joey13 wrote:Be an idea if Merson knew the players names for a start it’s not that difficult
Shame a lot of our own fans can't get our players names right either seen as it's not that difficult

joey13

Post by joey13 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:49 pm

bumba wrote:Shame a lot of our own fans can't get our players names right either seen as it's not that difficult
Do you mean Woods ?

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:59 pm

Only in as much as they were in the “seen em given” category - any one of them would have been harsh. However, I would have been upset about being given a pen and seeing the ref change his mind - that doesn’t happen very often and the ref needs to be very sure.

Interesting to see that the Goals on Sunday team this morning didn’t seem to think the “stonewall” Taylor/Gunnarson incident was even worthy of a comment.

Middle-agedClaret
Been Liked: 314 times
Has Liked: 1069 times

Post by Middle-agedClaret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:09 pm

"Interesting to see that the Goals on Sunday team this morning didn’t seem to think the “stonewall” Taylor/Gunnarson incident was even worthy of a comment."

That's because they are all only opinions. That's what these ex-players are hired to give. Nothing they say is proven fact, or authorative, or biased, or disrespectful. It's an opinion. :)

bumba

Post by bumba » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:09 pm

joey13 wrote:Do you mean Woods ?
Woods, Lawton or Beardsley take your pick.

Sure we'll have heart an macneil soon too. Probably the reason Agyei hasn't been promoted!!

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:19 pm

bumba wrote:Woods, Lawton or Beardsley take your pick.

Sure we'll have heart an macneil soon too. Probably the reason Agyei hasn't been promoted!!
MacNeal may have something to say about that. And yes - seen this several times on here.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:30 pm

Ian Wright. Followed the Tony Adams route of wearing glasses to convince people you are intelligent.

Can't see the Woods for the tree.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:34 pm

dougcollins wrote:Ian Wright. Followed the Tony Adams route of wearing glasses to convince people you are intelligent.
As thick as a workhouse sandwich. I know that - you know that. Dumb and dumber!

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:37 pm

I thought Gunnarsson initiated the contact, hopefully it's still a contact sport and therefore that is not a penalty.
Tarky one looked a possibility, but didn't we have a similar shout in the first half?

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:53 pm

The problem with commentators now (I called them parasites on another thread) is that they see it as their job to stir up controversy. Just watch every time there is a close decision - they always call it "controversial", even when TV proves it was the right decision or can't prove it either way. Carragher on Saturday was complaining about the linesman because he gave the correct decision but wasn't stood in the correct place to see it!

They ought to concentrate more on the game, and less on the referees. All they want to do is to stir up trouble.

If Dean had given 3 penalties, they would have said he got them all wrong. If he gave no penalties, they would have said he got them all wrong.
These 2 users liked this post: dougcollins Rick_Muller

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:27 pm

What the pundits missed is that Peltier should of been booked 4 times in the first half an hour.
I've never seen a right back look that daft in as long as I remember

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:59 pm

50 weeks since Benteke scored a goal for Palace :shock:

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:05 pm

Mo Salah dive in penalty area. He should get retrospective punishment as was promised for all divers at start of season

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:11 pm

dougcollins wrote:Ian Wright. Followed the Tony Adams route of wearing glasses to convince people you are intelligent.

Ffs it’s wood.....
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone GodIsADeeJay81

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Claret wrote:Mo Salah dive in penalty area. He should get retrospective punishment as was promised for all divers at start of season
He was kicked?................Keown
Said :roll:

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:19 pm

tim_noone wrote:He was kicked?................Keown
Said :roll:
Of for f*cks sake Keown! Will you stop this f*cking boll*cks about their having been contact. He clearly took a dive. It’s so bleedin obvious.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone GodIsADeeJay81

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:27 pm

Damo wrote:What the pundits missed is that Peltier should of been booked 4 times in the first half an hour.
I've never seen a right back look that daft in as long as I remember
Don't you remember Clyne last week?
Claret wrote:Mo Salah dive in penalty area. He should get retrospective punishment as was promised for all divers at start of season
That's only for if they successfully con the ref into giving a penalty.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:27 am

Claret wrote:Of for f*cks sake Keown! Will you stop this f*cking boll*cks about their having been contact. He clearly took a dive. It’s so bleedin obvious.
Exactly...

On Talksport they were on about Palace and their 10 penalties this season....
Saha is brilliant at hanging out a leg to make contact then go down....
Leicester have been doing the same thing for years.

They practise this on the bloody training ground....

Its cheating ffs.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:33 am

Hibsclaret wrote:Ffs it’s wood.....
Surely it's trees?

joey13

Post by joey13 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:51 am

bumba wrote:Woods, Lawton or Beardsley take your pick.

In fairness to Merson, Ben Mears is a new one

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1506 times

Post by Goodclaret » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:14 am

You'd think being able to string an intelligent and coherent sentence together would be quite near the top of the list for being a pundit.

That would clearly rule out Iain Dowie, Ian Wright and Paul Merson - they are just jabbering baffoons!