4 penalty incidents

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
Claret
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:57 pm
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 247 times

4 penalty incidents

Postby Claret » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:40 pm

I’ve just watched Match of the Day and can confidently announce that none of the 4 penalty claims by Cardiff were valid.
1 Mee had the ball blasted at him from very close and his arm was not sticking out or anything
2 The ball hit Mee in the face and accidentally dropped onto his arm. Ref gets it right.
3 Taylor gets pushed over by the Cardiff player. Should have been a free kick to Burnley.
4 it hits Tarks on his KNEE
These 2 users liked this post: simonclaret Bosscat

# 2
claretdj
Posts: 805
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:35 am
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 140 times

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby claretdj » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:43 pm

The Taylor challenge on Gunnarsson was a stone wall pen. :lol:

# 3
RalphCoatesComb
Posts: 3551
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:38 pm
Been Liked: 1149 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby RalphCoatesComb » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:43 pm

Claret wrote:I’ve just watched Match of the Day and can confidently announce that none of the 4 penalty claims by Cardiff were valid.
1 Mee had the ball blasted at him from very close and his arm was not sticking out or anything
2 The ball hit Mee in the face and accidentally dropped onto his arm. Ref gets it right.
3 Taylor gets pushed over by the Cardiff player. Should have been a free kick to Burnley.
4 it hits Tarks on his KNEE


Agreed but Taylor's was close and we've seen those given.

'Appen just as well everyone hates Colin as much as we do :lol:
This user liked this post: Bosscat

# 4
Shore claret
Posts: 1322
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:51 pm
Been Liked: 252 times
Has Liked: 618 times
Location: Starbug

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby Shore claret » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:45 pm

But Ian Wright said it was goal bound so should of been a pen.
Didn't think any were penalties, Taylor's was probably the closest but the Viking chap just flopped over.
These 2 users liked this post: simonclaret Bosscat

# 5
BennyD
Posts: 2893
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:10 am
Been Liked: 1099 times
Has Liked: 526 times
Location: Nantwich

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby BennyD » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:47 pm

No penalties there, because none were given.

# 6
FactualFrank
Posts: 15398
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 4213 times
Has Liked: 7422 times
Location: Leeds

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby FactualFrank » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:48 pm

Isn't 3 penalty shouts enough?

# 7
Bin Ont Turf
Posts: 8358
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 am
Been Liked: 3944 times
Has Liked: 469 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby Bin Ont Turf » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:50 pm

Shore claret wrote:But Ian Wright said it was goal bound so should of been a pen.


I don't know what the stupid ****ing crappy rules are, but I'm for giving them as penalties. If it doesn't hit his arm it could be a goal.

The other three are a nonsense. Taylor was goal side, was pushed and still got the ball any road.

# 8
Bin Ont Turf
Posts: 8358
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 am
Been Liked: 3944 times
Has Liked: 469 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby Bin Ont Turf » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:02 am

The way Ben Mee put his arm behind his back to say, it didn't hit my arm Ref, doesn't mean to me that he intentionally stopped the ball with his arm (like Warnock has said).

It says to me that Mee thinks that the Ref could give it, because there is a grey area because of the stupid ****ing crappy rules around handball.
This user liked this post: ants_g

# 9
Claret
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:57 pm
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 247 times

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:08 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:The way Ben Mee put his arm behind his back to say, it didn't hit my arm Ref, doesn't mean to me that he intentionally stopped the ball with his arm (like Warnock has said).

It says to me that Mee thinks that the Ref could give it, because there is a grey area because of the stupid ****ing crappy rules around handball.


The rules about handball are not stupid. The people who interpret them are, although today’s referee was ok.
Last edited by Claret on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

# 10
Clarets4me
Posts: 2504
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:31 pm
Been Liked: 1253 times
Has Liked: 506 times
Location: Ightenhill,Burnley

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby Clarets4me » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:10 am

On another day, the Taylor tackle and the " on target " shot that hit Ben Mee might have been given, but some people need reminding that penalties are not awarded under some sort of " totting up " procedure .... :D

# 11
Bin Ont Turf
Posts: 8358
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 am
Been Liked: 3944 times
Has Liked: 469 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby Bin Ont Turf » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:20 am

Claret wrote:The rules about handball are not stupid. The people who interpret them are, although today’s referee was ok.


Maybe so.

But to me there is a grey area, especially with this ball to hand, hand to ball nonsense.

# 12
Vegas Claret
Posts: 13781
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 am
Been Liked: 4285 times
Has Liked: 1923 times
Location: clue is in the title

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:24 am

with VAR there are going to be 8 penalties every game next season and most 3 pm kick offs will finish around 7pm
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

# 13
wooooosh
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:50 pm
Been Liked: 3 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby wooooosh » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:30 am

The more I watch it, the more I'm convinced Taylor actually plays the ball. Therefore no penalty.

# 14
fidelcastro
Posts: 2886
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 pm
Been Liked: 938 times
Has Liked: 911 times

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby fidelcastro » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:31 am

Vegas Claret wrote:with VAR there are going to be 8 penalties every game next season and most 3 pm kick offs will finish around 7pm


And they'll still get them wrong!

:o

# 15
Claret
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:57 pm
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 247 times

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:37 am

Vegas Claret wrote:with VAR there are going to be 8 penalties every game next season and most 3 pm kick offs will finish around 7pm

It does not look like VAR is going to be the solution we hoped for because of the ridiculous way it’s being used and/or interpreted.
We’ve watched refs make bad decisions in real time. With VAR we can now watch bad decisions being made in slow motion.
The biggest problems seem to be:
1. The fact that the Video Assisted Referee is ignoring the requirement for handball to be DELIBERATE
2. The fact that the Video Assisted Referee is ignoring the requirement for decisions only where the ref misses clear/obvious incidents
3. The VAR subscribing to the “there was contact” nonsense, thereby promoting cheating and simulation.

VAR just moves the grey area from one place to another without improving the game

# 16
dsr
Posts: 8020
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 pm
Been Liked: 2446 times
Has Liked: 1075 times

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby dsr » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:45 am

Claret wrote:It does not look like VAR is going to be the solution we hoped for because of the ridiculous way it’s being used and/or interpreted.
We’ve watched refs make bad decisions in real time. With VAR we can now watch bad decisions being made in slow motion.
The biggest problems seem to be:
1. The fact that the Video Assisted Referee is ignoring the requirement for handball to be DELIBERATE
2. The fact that the Video Assisted Referee is ignoring the requirement for decisions only where the ref misses clear/obvious incidents
3. The VAR subscribing to the “there was contact” nonsense, thereby promoting cheating and simulation.

VAR just moves the grey area from one place to another without improving the game

And don't forget the VAR that decides that there is no such thing as "level" in offside decisions, and also that if they don't have a picture taken at the right time, they can use one taken a little while later and assume that an inch in front now means they have always been an inch in front.

# 17
Vegas Claret
Posts: 13781
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 am
Been Liked: 4285 times
Has Liked: 1923 times
Location: clue is in the title

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:53 am

fidelcastro wrote:And they'll still get them wrong!

:o

possibly, it'll still leave room for debate which is a good thing. I just hope they speed the process up though

# 18
Vegas Claret
Posts: 13781
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 am
Been Liked: 4285 times
Has Liked: 1923 times
Location: clue is in the title

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:55 am

Claret wrote:It does not look like VAR is going to be the solution we hoped for because of the ridiculous way it’s being used and/or interpreted.
We’ve watched refs make bad decisions in real time. With VAR we can now watch bad decisions being made in slow motion.
The biggest problems seem to be:
1. The fact that the Video Assisted Referee is ignoring the requirement for handball to be DELIBERATE
2. The fact that the Video Assisted Referee is ignoring the requirement for decisions only where the ref misses clear/obvious incidents
3. The VAR subscribing to the “there was contact” nonsense, thereby promoting cheating and simulation.

VAR just moves the grey area from one place to another without improving the game


I think the solution to VAR is not to have people that have never played the game making the decisions. The mind boggles as to why they don't have ex players both as referees (they should have a superior level of fitness for starters) and as VAR

# 19
Rick_Muller
Posts: 4392
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:53 am
Been Liked: 1905 times
Has Liked: 4721 times
Location: -90.000000, 0.000000

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby Rick_Muller » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:59 am

Vegas Claret wrote:I think the solution to VAR is not to have people that have never played the game making the decisions. The mind boggles as to why they don't have ex players both as referees (they should have a superior level of fitness for starters) and as VAR

Ex players might be an answer, but they’d have to be intelligent and not a pundit like Wright who clearly does not, and neither has the capacity to, understand the rules and laws of the game. His comment on MOTD was diabolical “it was a penalty because it was on target” numpty is the nicest word

# 20
ants_g
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:53 pm
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby ants_g » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:03 am

claretdj wrote:The Taylor challenge on Gunnarsson was a stone wall pen. :lol:


I disagree. Taylor was pushed over so what happens after doesn't matter, imho.

# 21
ants_g
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:53 pm
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby ants_g » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:05 am

Claret wrote:I’ve just watched Match of the Day and can confidently announce that none of the 4 penalty claims by Cardiff were valid.
1 Mee had the ball blasted at him from very close and his arm was not sticking out or anything
2 The ball hit Mee in the face and accidentally dropped onto his arm. Ref gets it right.
3 Taylor gets pushed over by the Cardiff player. Should have been a free kick to Burnley.
4 it hits Tarks on his KNEE


I agree with all except possibly the first. Whether or not it is intentional, Mee's arm stops a goal bound shot, so strong penalty shout for me.

# 22
taio
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:17 am
Been Liked: 1414 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby taio » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:07 am

ants_g wrote:I agree with all except possibly the first. Whether or not it is intentional, Mee's arm stops a goal bound shot, so strong penalty shout for me.


It doesn't matter it was a goal bound shot. It was unintentional and Mee was close to the player and had his arm in a natural position. Not a penalty.

# 23
claptrappers_union
Posts: 1859
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:40 pm
Been Liked: 532 times
Has Liked: 102 times
Location: The Banana Stand

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby claptrappers_union » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:15 am

But Ian Wright is right

https://youtu.be/JshHRkcUVz4

# 24
Rileybobs
Posts: 5678
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:37 pm
Been Liked: 2449 times
Has Liked: 576 times
Location: Leeds

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby Rileybobs » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:21 am

Even next season with the hand ball rule change and VAR I don’t think that would be given as Mee didn’t make himself bigger with his arm, it was straight down by his side, where it should be.

# 25
Bosscat
Posts: 4264
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 3490 times

Re: 4 penalty incidents

Postby Bosscat » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:26 am

:D Who cares...
We won :D

Fantastic funny comment in the Tunnel after the game by Colin upon seeing the Anti Doping Officials, he asked if they were there to check the Officials.


Return to “The Bee Hole End”