the overturned penalty

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

the overturned penalty

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:09 am

sounds like the other linesman on the Bob Lord side was the guy who gave the info to over rule !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3PVGifKUkA&t=6s
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

Vegas Claret

Re: the overturned penalty

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:14 am

some nice words there from Warnock about Dyche too

sox8595
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 383 times

Post by sox8595 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:30 am

sounds like the guy accepts his fate and thinks f@@k it let's go again Tuesday

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:25 am

sox8595 wrote:sounds like the guy accepts his fate and thinks f@@k it let's go again Tuesday
I fancy them to beat Brighton tbh

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:06 am

To be fair, I think Warnock is a very good manager.
Cardiff have done quite well this season and have been unlucky with some decisions lately, especially against Chelsea.
I wouldn’t be unhappy if they beat Brighton on Tuesday now we are safe.

Dodobdobodobo
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 303 times

Post by Dodobdobodobo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:26 am

I bet the lady interviewer was chuffed when he called her “Darling”. The prehistoric sexist B@stard!!!
“Should have got something out of the game” no Colin you should have been behind 4 0 at half time. Bye bye Cardiff. UTC

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:31 am

Good interview and very funny about Liverpool. Would be good to see them safe at the expense of Brighton and provided we stayed up it would be even better to see them beat Liverpool AND Man U

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:08 am

Soon summary he should have said “I can’t believe a linesman from 75 yards away had the temerity to see with his eyes, and allow the correct decision to be made”

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:03 am

Vegas Claret wrote:I fancy them to beat Brighton tbh
Look how Bummouth bounced back v Brighton yesterday ... I would love it if Cardiff stuck one on the Sanctimonious Brighton bunch on Tuesday, and dragged them right into an end of season scrap
:lol: :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: Zom Zom

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:47 am

Bosscat wrote:Look how Bummouth bounced back v Brighton yesterday ... I would love it if Cardiff stuck one on the Sanctimonious Brighton bunch on Tuesday, and dragged them right into an end of season scrap
Right up until the fisticuffs yesterday, I wanted Cardiff to stay up. I couldn't care less who goes down now.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2289 times

Post by basil6345789 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:51 pm

Dodobdobodobo wrote:I bet the lady interviewer was chuffed when he called her “Darling”. The prehistoric sexist B@stard!!!
“Should have got something out of the game” no Colin you should have been behind 4 0 at half time. Bye bye Cardiff. UTC
But it's ok for Rylan and Alan Carr to call you darling, eh?
Get a life- it's nowt!

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:58 pm

Bosscat wrote:Look how Bummouth bounced back v Brighton yesterday ... I would love it if Cardiff stuck one on the Sanctimonious Brighton bunch on Tuesday, and dragged them right into an end of season scrap
when you look at Brighton's fixtures then they will really struggle if they lose to Cardiff

turfytopper
Been Liked: 408 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:53 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:sounds like the other linesman on the Bob Lord side was the guy who gave the info to over rule !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3PVGifKUkA&t=6s
The linesman on the longside flagged for the pen....Mike Dean pointed to the spot (he had no choice)... But in going over to speak to him he was making it clear that he wasn't happy (he'd have been livid that the AR gave him the problem)... It was brave refereeing from Dean to cancel the penalty and restart with a drop ball. A weaker referee would have backed the lino and let him take the rap when TV proved him (the lino) wrong.
These 3 users liked this post: FactualFrank IanMcL dpinsussex

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:04 pm

Was he right to point to the spot? Surely the correct course is to stop the game, speak to the Lino and then give the decision.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:09 pm

The line had given the decision. That's the point. That's what stopped the game. The rest is question and establishing the facts.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:11 pm

turfytopper wrote:The linesman on the longside flagged for the pen....Mike Dean pointed to the spot (he had no choice)... But in going over to speak to him he was making it clear that he wasn't happy (he'd have been livid that the AR gave him the problem)... It was brave refereeing from Dean to cancel the penalty and restart with a drop ball. A weaker referee would have backed the lino and let him take the rap when TV proved him (the lino) wrong.
did you even bother watching the interview ? Warnock clearly says different
This user liked this post: turfytopper

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:23 pm

I’m pretty sure you can lip read Mee asking Dean what was that for and Dean responding I don’t know. Like above, the AR left him in a position where he had to blow up and point to the spot.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:28 pm

seeing as people can't be arsed watching the ******* video - Warnock says Darren Cann gives the penalty (in front of Longside), Mike Dean says he doesn't see anything then the linesman on the near side(Bob Lord) who is 75 yards away says it comes off Mee's head - the decision was made by the linesman who was in front of the Bob Lord. The laziness of some people on here is astounding

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:43 pm

Couldn't care less what Warnock said to be honest. It wasn't a penalty so Dean correctly decide not to award it.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:44 pm

taio wrote:Couldn't care less what Warnock said to be honest. It wasn't a penalty so Dean correctly decide not to award it.
I bet you're a laugh a minute in the pub.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:45 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I bet you're a laugh a minute in the pub.
Pathetic post.

When I go out next weekend I must refer to Warnock's interview. I'll have everyone in the pub in stitches.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:28 pm

taio wrote:Couldn't care less what Warnock said to be honest. It wasn't a penalty so Dean correctly decide not to award it.
your opinion is irrelevant as is mine, my post is merely pointing out what happened.

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:33 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:..... the decision was made by the linesman who was in front of the Bob Lord.
No it wasn't. The decision was made by the referee after he heard out what both assistants had to say. And it was the right decision.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:39 pm

jtv wrote:No it wasn't. The decision was made by the referee after he heard out what both assistants had to say. And it was the right decision.
so without the correct information from the BL linesman the decision would have been wrong. Like I said, the decision was made because the lino gave the correct info, I can't word it another way and quite frankly I can't be arsed
This user liked this post: Bosscat

turfytopper

Post by turfytopper » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:did you even bother watching the interview ? Warnock clearly says different
Are you being serious?

turfytopper

Post by turfytopper » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:26 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:so without the correct information from the BL linesman the decision would have been wrong. Like I said, the decision was made because the lino gave the correct info, I can't word it another way and quite frankly I can't be arsed
It was the linesman that f@cked up on the longside.
From that point Dean sorted it out.

I was sat behind the lino with a perfect view.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:15 pm

scouseclaret wrote:Was he right to point to the spot? Surely the correct course is to stop the game, speak to the Lino and then give the decision.
I'm pretty sure that the rules don't permit that.
I think he could have allowed play to continue, told the lino (through his earpiece) to keep the flag up and then once the ball was out of play go across and consult with him. If he agreed with the lino then he could have brought play back for the penalty. This would have avoided the rather unfortunate sequence of events that made it look as though Dean had changed his mind - whereas I don't think he did.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:22 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:I'm pretty sure that the rules don't permit that.
I think he could have allowed play to continue, told the lino (through his earpiece) to keep the flag up and then once the ball was out of play go across and consult with him. If he agreed with the lino then he could have brought play back for the penalty. This would have avoided the rather unfortunate sequence of events that made it look as though Dean had changed his mind - whereas I don't think he did.
The liner couldn’t stay rooted to the spot with his flag up when play is continuing as he would need to run the line. Dean did what he had to do, the liner dropped a massive clanger.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:40 am

Rileybobs wrote:The liner couldn’t stay rooted to the spot with his flag up when play is continuing as he would need to run the line. Dean did what he had to do, the liner dropped a massive clanger.
I agree, but I didn't say he should remain rooted to the spot. We've seen it before where AR's keep up with play but wave frantically at the ref to try to get his attention.
(Rarely happens today because of the wireless communication).
I was only putting it forward as a possible alternative to awarding a penalty and then having to reverse. As you say it was an AR error, and left Dean in a difficult position.
Simply stopping play to consult - which was the suggestion I was responding to - wasn't one of his options.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:57 am

mdd2 wrote:Good interview and very funny about Liverpool. Would be good to see them safe at the expense of Brighton and provided we stayed up it would be even better to see them beat Liverpool AND Man U
I wouldn't be wishing them too much good luck yet bud. They are 11 points (12 if you take account of goal difference I suppose) behind with 15 to play for and we have 4 games that, on paper, we won't get much if anything from. Allowing for us not getting anything (which I hope won't be the case) we need them to drop at least 4 points and those could or should be at United and Liverpool. Personally I don't care who goes down now as I don't particularly dislike either Cardiff or Brighton (don't really understand the hatred of Brighton on here, so they have a few idiot fans, doesn't every club)?

lovebeingaclaret
Been Liked: 120 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by lovebeingaclaret » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:30 am

nil_desperandum wrote:I agree, but I didn't say he should remain rooted to the spot. We've seen it before where AR's keep up with play but wave frantically at the ref to try to get his attention.
(Rarely happens today because of the wireless communication).
I was only putting it forward as a possible alternative to awarding a penalty and then having to reverse. As you say it was an AR error, and left Dean in a difficult position.
Simply stopping play to consult - which was the suggestion I was responding to - wasn't one of his options.
.... and if Burnley went up the field and scored which would put the ball out of play would the ref go back to the AR and consult and give the penalty and rule out Burnley's goal?

... or worse still if a Burnley player was through on goal and brought down and denied an obvious goalscoring opportunity would the ref stop play consult the lino possibly award a penalty for cardiff, deny Burnley a free kick or penalty but send off the defender as he clearly committed the offence as the ball was still in play as a result of the ref not stopping play?

... or select any other of the many other scenarios that your view could create.

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:38 am

lovebeingaclaret wrote:.... and if Burnley went up the field and scored which would put the ball out of play would the ref go back to the AR and consult and give the penalty and rule out Burnley's goal?

... or worse still if a Burnley player was through on goal and brought down and denied an obvious goalscoring opportunity would the ref stop play consult the lino possibly award a penalty for cardiff, deny Burnley a free kick or penalty but send off the defender as he clearly committed the offence as the ball was still in play as a result of the ref not stopping play?

... or select any other of the many other scenarios that your view could create.
I can answer the second one - if there was no goalscoring opportunity because the play was going to be disallowed anyway, then there's no red card for the defender. Yellow for unsporting behaviour, in that case, just the same as if the forward was offside but play hadn't yet stopped. (The defender can still be red carded for violent conduct or other forms of serious foul play.)

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:40 am

Safe refereeing is a phrase used commonly and this is what we had here.

Dean had to stop play as the ball was in the penalty area, an AR was flagging outside of his credible area, players tend to stop when they see a flag go up.

Dean was convinced no pen hence stopped play. There was every likelihood that Cardiff could have stuck the ball in the back of the net as the Burnley defence will have stopped.

Much easier to over rule a penalty than a goal.

Brilliant piece of refereeing , not so good piece of Assisting.
I bet when the assessment comes through though Dean's teamwork mark will have been hit however his application of law will have gone up.
Given the weighting that the sections carry AOL x 2, Teamwork x 0.5 it is better to lose marks in teamwork.
These 3 users liked this post: Rick_Muller simonclaret nil_desperandum

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:40 am

lovebeingaclaret wrote:.... and if Burnley went up the field and scored which would put the ball out of play would the ref go back to the AR and consult and give the penalty and rule out Burnley's goal?

You're quite right - welcome to the potential world of VAR.
These 2 users liked this post: dpinsussex Rick_Muller

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6416 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:01 am

After watching the SkySports highlights(https://www.skysports.com/football/burn ... iff/391088" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) this morning I noticed the commentary refer to the AR flagging for the first suspected handball. I think this is the reason for the confusion as Dean had already seen and had not given the first suspected handball (correctly as it was ball to hand); but Dean was not sure about the second suspected handball so stopped play to consult with the AR as to which one he was flagging for.

After consultation with AR (longside) Dean decided that the first was not as it was ball to hand (as he had already decided during play) and that the AR (Longside) had flagged for that and not the second; which was still in question until he consulted with the other AR (Bob Lord) who said he had seen Ben Mee "face it" onto his arm.

With that info Dean correctly decided neither were handball at all and I must say, it was the right decision too.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:02 am

He said they Burnley were very fortunate today on another day we would have won
He said at half time next to score will win it he was right we did.
on another day Westwood would have put his two chances away and Wood wouldn't have hit the post, he would have buried it result 4 nil at half time game over.
And whats all that about we playing teams at the right time does he not see our form since Christmas is top six performance.
He by all accounts thinks we are spawney and have rag it with what the obnoxious twerp said
He had good praise for the gaffer but who would not say how well hes done for us its black and white
Hes still a tosser is Warnock of the highest order

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:48 am

Initially I thought the AR gave the handball for the initial incident where the ball was blasted from virtually point blank range on to Mees hand. Sky Sports have subsequently backed up my initial take on the incident on Ref Watch (they didn't even deem the second incident where Mee miss heads the ball on to his own arm worthy of coverage or comment. Perhaps because the linesman had already motioned for the 1st incident)
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:00 pm

The linesman didn't start flagging until the second "handball". Definite.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:28 pm

So having read all this and seeing it again (and again) on TV let me ask, does anyone these days know the rules on handball in the area? The Mee incident was clearly handball, Mee admitted as much, but it was also clearly accidental, he headed it (or faced it if you listen to Mee) and it hit his arm. Is there such a thing as accidental handball any more because this incident yet again brings up the controversy? If there is no accidental allowed any more what is to stop a player purposely kicking a ball onto a players hand? If there is clearly this was it. I don't know the answer and looking at this thread it seems many others are also in the dark. Surely there should be some clarification. If we get down to the interefering with play argument the answer to that must be if they aren't they should be. Penalties for handball must be the most contraversial area in the game at the moment.

I think in the end Dean got it spot on so why was there so much made of it in the media and by Warnock (although that is understandable). In my opinion there should have been no question of it being 'not a penalty'.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:33 pm

Handball has to be "deliberate" for it to be a foul, whether in the area or not.

From next season they're amending the law so that a goal can't be scored with the hand, deliberate or not. No change to how free kicks or penalties are awarded as far as I know.

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:42 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:I fancy them to beat Brighton tbh

4.33 for Cardiff to win too - I'll be having a tenner on that
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret