Game of Thrones on NOW TV

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Re: Game of Thrones on NOW TV

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:34 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:He also doesn't take fall damage.
And wears inflammable clothes.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:55 am

Great episode. Like many others, I shouted at the telly when Arya plunged the knife in.

Just wished/expected more 'big' characters to die. Theon is the only one I was emotionally invested in. Beric, meh. Melisandre, meh (and also, why?). I expected Brienne and Grey Worm to cop for it minimum.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:12 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:**SPOILERS**

Watched Episode 3 last night, in a fairly dark room on a 40 inch TV so it was perfectly lit. Seen a few people in the newspaper reviews moaning they watched it on a train on their phone and couldn’t see anything. A bit daft.

Brilliant episode. So many other needless grumbles in the paper reviews, it’s all about opinions but I thought they did great. Criticisms I have read include:
  • Why did the Dothraki charge? Well, they are a darn cavalry. That’s what they do. Besides, that flame lighting and then slowly going out amidst the pitch blackness was a tremendous bit of cinematography.
    Why did those in the crypt do nothing? I saw that as a metaphor for real wars and the people huddled away waiting for the rape and pillage to come. It felt suitably grim. There were so many real world metaphors wrapped into that, particularly the quiet wait at the beginning.
    Why did Melisandre bring Jon back to life? Is he not the Prince that was Promised? Well, this whole episode wouldn’t have taken place if it weren’t for him forming an army. He was pivotal.
    What is the point of Bran if he does nothing? Errrr, “have this dagger, it’s wasted on a cripple”, and great diversion making us think it was just to bump off Baylish.
    Why did Bran not tell Theon to wait 10 seconds? Because he as crucial to delaying NK a bit longer. He also needed heroic redemption.
    Why did the NK not fly straight to Kings Landing? Last I heard he didn’t have internet and Google Maps. He probably didn’t even know it existed, he was just systematically laying waste.
    Why did they not give us clues before? Well, apparently it was decided 4 years ago to kill him in this way. Since then we have had many moments, the dagger handed over in that very spot, the hand switch move when training with Brianne, sneaking up on Jon in that very spot etc. Plenty of foreshadowing. It was right to make it obvious what would happen when Baric had his moment. Then, the drama was if others would get killed before she got chance to do it, a bit of an anti climax if the dead won the war so the NK was always going to die.
    Why did only minor characters die? I wouldn’t call Melisandre minor, nor Jorah. Plus, who is to say we won’t discover some more gone when they comb through the bodies in episode 4, my money is on at last one hiding in the crypt.
    Wasn’t it a bit easy to kill the Night King? OK, if you dismiss failing to kill him with dragon fire, and failing to kill him due to him raising all the dead, and failing to kill him with a spear. He was a hard ass. It took a trained assassin.
So I think they did a great job. Minor wrinkles (e.g. I thought initially Arya was disguised as that Walker who looked to the side, then I realised it couldn’t be because she didn’t have their face, but it didn’t make it clear). But an emotional hour of TV.

There is one wrinkle that is bugging me. The Night Dragon's fire was enough to burn down Winterfell's walls, but Jon was able to hide behind one to avoid it.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:16 am

Falcon wrote:Great episode. Like many others, I shouted at the telly when Arya plunged the knife in.

Just wished/expected more 'big' characters to die. Theon is the only one I was emotionally invested in. Beric, meh. Melisandre, meh (and also, why?). I expected Brienne and Grey Worm to cop for it minimum.
Thats it for Melisandre though. The Night King is dead, the lord of light has triumphed.

SonofPog
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by SonofPog » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:20 am

Spiral wrote:…..NB, just to add, (and I don't mean to pick on SonofPog specifically because the point he has raised is raised often, but) 'plot armour' is an utterly guff form of critique......
Its all good Spiral, all about opinions.

Also agree somewhat with...
GOT the TV show is fundamentally a visual performance medium, and, sacrilegious and heretical as this opinion may be, the entire plot is a vehicle for cinematic sequences
I think the last few seasons yes, as they bring the show to its heroic close, when less plots can be added and they have to bring it all together, they've fallen back onto visuals. but early seasons, when they were still in Book mode, I feel it was the combo of Visuals and Interesting non trope plots that made it the hit it is.

Which as the meme above shows, the NK being topped before his "Arc" was over can be considered trope busting.

I've head in one review that the GRRM has said the end of GoT will have a scourging of the shire feel to it. I.E, cleaning up after the big bad has been defeated and I can get onboard with that. As IT said, its about human people and the Iron Throne, not about Zombies.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:32 am

Plot armour is really just a natural consequence of the events. Think of it as if the story has already happened. The victors are the victors, and the survivors are the survivors. Out of the millions of people in the sequence of events that lead up to the end you're always going to find a few people who have absolutely insanity happen in their journey that brings them to the end of the tale. All plot armour is is the retelling of their story from the position that they've already survived those crazy odds.

Find any Victoria Cross winner, turn their story into a movie. Don't tell the audience that it's a true story and they'll see plot armour all over the place in much the same way we do when we wonder how the **** Jorah survived the initial charge.

Think of what we're watching as the most amazing story to be told from a civilisation that spans thousands of years. Of course there are going to stories of survival against all odds, because the stories without them all ended up being less interesting.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:38 am

This is after all a football message-board. I saw this idea online this morning so did my own (in a quick tea break, so nobody slate me for my ratings like normal :lol: ......):

Living 1 Dead 0 - player ratings (Stadium of Lord of Light)

Hound 7 - good defence of the key player but looked a bit scared of the opposition at times
Varys 0 - didn't show any balls when it came down to it
Brienne 8 - frantic last gasp defence despite being cut to ribbons
Tyrion 1 - taking to the field sloshed is never a good thing
Theon 9 - saw out the game beautifully, keeping the opposition away from the goal
Lyanna 7 - low centre of gravity, a giant performance, but she didn't play a pivotal role
Baric 7 - he was on fire at times, and the manager only brought him on for one purpose, which he succeeded at
Snow / Aegon (captain) 4 - ran around like a Jack Russell chasing a crisp packet in the wind, he's no Ashley Westwood
Jamie 7 - he was great at defending the box, being 50% less likely to give away a handball
Daenerys 6 - like Aegon, one sensed she was keeping her energy for the later rounds
Arya 11 (MOM) - she flies through the air like Cantona, can juggle the ball like Messi, and after a pep talk from the manager, applied the killing blow

Coach - Bran 9 - has the ability to see how the other team will play, and knows the way to succeed is to make sure the ball is given to the star player.
Manager - Melisandre 10 - in her final game before retirement, plotted the whole strategy out brilliantly
These 11 users liked this post: CombatClaret LeadBelly Goodclaret Lancasterclaret Vintage Claret Imploding Turtle Braindead Burnley Ace elwaclaret Corky Colburn_Claret

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:43 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Plot armour is really just a natural consequence of the events. Think of it as if the story has already happened. The victors are the victors, and the survivors are the survivors. Out of the millions of people in the sequence of events that lead up to the end you're always going to find a few people who have absolutely insanity happen in their journey that brings them to the end of the tale. All plot armour is is the retelling of their story from the position that they've already survived those crazy odds.

Find any Victoria Cross winner, turn their story into a movie. Don't tell the audience that it's a true story and they'll see plot armour all over the place in much the same way we do when we wonder how the **** Jorah survived the initial charge.
I would have called Hacksaw Ridge (story of Desmond Doss, Medal of Honour winner) totally unbelievable, but they show you how it happened. They don't jump cut in time and leave the audience guessing.

Your idea that it's all a re-telling is fine, If they actually set it up like that. Introduced a framing device, season one opens with a Queen telling the young prince of how Westeros was saved, or "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away" even that gives you a bit of licence for the legends and mists of time.
But the show is set up as a real time narrative so you can't imprint that atop as a justification for lazy writing.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:58 am

CombatClaret wrote:I would have called Hacksaw Ridge (story of Desmond Doss, Medal of Honour winner) totally unbelievable, but they show you how it happened. They don't jump cut in time and leave the audience guessing.

Your idea that it's all a re-telling is fine, If they actually set it up like that. Introduced a framing device, season one opens with a Queen telling the young prince of how Westeros was saved, or "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away" even that gives you a bit of licence for the legends and mists of time.
But the show is set up as a real time narrative so you can't imprint that atop as a justification for lazy writing.

It's how i choose to look at it. It's not lazy writing, that attitude is lazy thinking, just like the "plot armour" accusations. If you choose to enjoy it less then that's perfectly fine, i'm just offering one way of looking at epic stories such as this to try to help people get past automatically thinking "omg the plot armour is real".

These people spent 55 nights in Iceland filming that episode, if they were going to be lazy anywhere I can think of many other areas of the production they'd want to be lazy in before i'd get to the writing.

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:18 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:It's how i choose to look at it. It's not lazy writing, that attitude is lazy thinking, just like the "plot armour" accusations. If you choose to enjoy it less then that's perfectly fine, i'm just offering one way of looking at epic stories such as this to try to help people get past automatically thinking "omg the plot armour is real".

These people spent 55 nights in Iceland filming that episode, if they were going to be lazy anywhere I can think of many other areas of the production they'd want to be lazy in before i'd get to the writing.
I work in film, I have friends who were on that shoot. You're right film crews are never lazy, hundreds of people will worked their balls of to make it, but all it takes is one or two people (writer, producer) to make some poor choices and it diminishes the final product.

The trouble was they showed two contradictory things, they showed how totally overwhelming and un-beatable the Army of the Dead was in so many moments but lead characters in utterly dire situations are fine 10 minutes later and survive the whole thing.
All they had to do was even that math out a little to make it a better more believable narrative.
Either have some lead characters go down fighting this horde to reinforce what you've already shown the audience. Or pull back just a little on the undead, so it's not an even fight but 70/30 or something as opposed to the 95/5 we saw.
These 2 users liked this post: Imploding Turtle Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:34 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:This is after all a football message-board. I saw this idea online this morning so did my own (in a quick tea break, so nobody slate me for my ratings like normal :lol: ......):

Living 1 Dead 0 - player ratings (Stadium of Lord of Light)

Hound 7 - good defence of the key player but looked a bit scared of the opposition at times
Varys 0 - didn't show any balls when it came down to it
Brienne 8 - frantic last gasp defence despite being cut to ribbons
Tyrion 1 - taking to the field sloshed is never a good thing
Theon 9 - saw out the game beautifully, keeping the opposition away from the goal
Lyanna 7 - low centre of gravity, a giant performance, but she didn't play a pivotal role
Baric 7 - he was on fire at times, and the manager only brought him on for one purpose, which he succeeded at
Snow / Aegon (captain) 4 - ran around like a Jack Russell chasing a crisp packet in the wind, he's no Ashley Westwood
Jamie 7 - he was great at defending the box, being 50% less likely to give away a handball
Daenerys 6 - like Aegon, one sensed she was keeping her energy for the later rounds
Arya 11 (MOM) - she flies through the air like Cantona, can juggle the ball like Messi, and after a pep talk from the manager, applied the killing blow

Coach - Bran 9 - has the ability to see how the other team will play, and knows the way to succeed is to make sure the ball is given to the star player.
Manager - Melisandre 10 - in her final game before retirement, plotted the whole strategy out brilliantly
Theon 9? Thats a high mark for someone who did his job, but then died (just in case anyone is any doubt, this is a pisstake based on those fans who post on the games rating thread to moan about another persons rating (apart from the trolls)
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:40 pm

CombatClaret wrote:I work in film, I have friends who were on that shoot. You're right film crews are never lazy, hundreds of people will worked their balls of to make it, but all it takes is one or two people (writer, producer) to make some poor choices and it diminishes the final product.

The trouble was they showed two contradictory things, they showed how totally overwhelming and un-beatable the Army of the Dead was in so many moments but lead characters in utterly dire situations are fine 10 minutes later and survive the whole thing.
All they had to do was even that math out a little to make it a better more believable narrative.
Either have some lead characters go down fighting this horde to reinforce what you've already shown the audience. Or pull back just a little on the undead, so it's not an even fight but 70/30 or something as opposed to the 95/5 we saw.

I'm not sure how possible this would have been but i think one way to have pulled back a bit on how strong the undead was would have been to have the NK killed early, (that'd have been a neat shock), but not have his army killed along with him. Until this episode no one had any reason to believe, other than Beric stating it in Ep 6. last season and that it was true for White Walkers, that killing the Night King killed them all. But i think it could have worked that killing him simply meant that there were no more new undead, and maybe that the White Walkers lost their magic too (maybe even making them vulnerable to ordinary weapons).

Thinking about it, it would have been pretty cool this way. The White Walkers after losing their magic might have even retreated and disappeared back beyond the wall for another 10,000 years.
This user liked this post: CombatClaret

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:40 pm

[quote="CrosspoolClarets"]

Slightly cruel but still had to :lol: at that.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:52 pm

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:23 pm

Anyone else expected briefly that the ice dragon would flame Jon only for him to survive the fire like Dany has done previously, thus proving in Jon's head that he is a secret Targ?

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:30 pm

Falcon wrote:Anyone else expected briefly that the ice dragon would flame Jon only for him to survive the fire like Dany has done previously, thus proving in Jon's head that he is a secret Targ?

I'm sure he'll have discovered at some point in his life if he was immune to fire.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:37 pm

Dany didn't

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:59 pm

Falcon wrote:Dany didn't

Sure she did. She was called "the unburnt" long before the hatched her little fire-breathers. Remember the scene when she stepped into the scolding hot bath and her aide was like "hey, don't. It's too hot you silly sod"?

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:10 pm

Falcon wrote:Dany didn't
In the very early days, she survived her Dothraki husband’s funeral pyre.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:12 pm

Season 1 and Season 6 were the previous cases I could remember involving actual fire.

However I will happily accept that the bath time event happened (I don't remember it though!)

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:There is one wrinkle that is bugging me. The Night Dragon's fire was enough to burn down Winterfell's walls, but Jon was able to hide behind one to avoid it.
I think the night dragon was badly wounded at that point (certainly didn't seem able to fly) so although his fire breath would have been enough to turn Jon into Mr Crispy out in the open it was no longer strong enough to penetrate the wall.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:23 pm

Vintage Claret wrote:I think the night dragon was badly wounded at that point (certainly didn't seem able to fly) so although his fire breath would have been enough to turn Jon into Mr Crispy out in the open it was no longer strong enough to penetrate the wall.

Oh, that's a good point. I'm pretty sure it took a healthy bite to the neck. But wasn't that before he burned down the castle wall?
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:27 pm

Falcon wrote:Anyone else expected briefly that the ice dragon would flame Jon only for him to survive the fire like Dany has done previously, thus proving in Jon's head that he is a secret Targ?
Another lost moment I thought was coming but wasted.

John on his own surrounded by the undead. Then Danny covers them all in dragon fire (John included) and he comes out alright. Not only would it have explained how he gets out of that moment buts it's a great character moment for Danny to show her trust of John after he told her he's a Target, great way to show it.

Other moments I though coming but wimped out included:
- Greyworms early decision not to lead the unsullied in a suicidal defense of the retreat.
- Sansa & Tryion suiciding themselves in the crypt when all appears to be lost. How tragicaly beautiful that would have been.
- John having to make a choice between saving a friend or going toward the bigger threat (but friend actually dies as a consequence).

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:35 pm

CombatClaret wrote: - John having to make a choice between saving a friend or going toward the bigger threat (but friend actually dies as a consequence).

He did sort of do that. Saw him give a meaningful look at Samwell struggling before just moving on.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:51 pm

CombatClaret wrote:Another lost moment I thought was coming but wasted.

John on his own surrounded by the undead. Then Danny covers them all in dragon fire (John included) and he comes out alright. Not only would it have explained how he gets out of that moment buts it's a great character moment for Danny to show her trust of John after he told her he's a Targaryan, great way to show it.
Jon would have to be naked after that, which would be funny and probably deadly since i don't believe Targaryans are immune to cold.

But it's unlikely he's immune to fire since one of the reasons the Targaryans would inbreed so much is to protect their line's purity which is essential to control dragons, or something. Dany is a child of incest and so were her parents, and then their parents too (i think) whereas Jon isn't.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:51 pm

Jon isn't impervious to fire in spite of him being a Targaryen. He burnt his hand on the lantern in S1 while saving Jeor from the wight and attention is drawn to the wound the next/second to next episode (can't remember exactly) when Jeor asks him how his hand is healing before gifting him Longclaw. Viserys, also a Targaryen, was burned to death.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:55 pm

Spiral wrote:Jon isn't impervious to fire in spite of him being a Targaryen. He burnt his hand on the lantern in S1 while saving Jeor from the wight and attention is drawn to the wound the next/second to next episode (can't remember exactly) when Jeor asks him how his hand is healing before gifting him Longclaw. Viserys, also a Targaryen, was burned to death.
****. Viserys. I blocked that death from my memory. He was truly a **** but that death was horrible.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:08 pm

OK so he isn't impervious to fire, but he does seem to have the knack at dragonriding. That's Targaryen enough for me!

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:48 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:It's how i choose to look at it. It's not lazy writing, that attitude is lazy thinking, just like the "plot armour" accusations. If you choose to enjoy it less then that's perfectly fine, i'm just offering one way of looking at epic stories such as this to try to help people get past automatically thinking "omg the plot armour is real".

It was lazy writing.

Game of Thrones, the books or series can be summed up by those exact two words: lazy writing.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:05 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:There is one wrinkle that is bugging me. The Night Dragon's fire was enough to burn down Winterfell's walls, but Jon was able to hide behind one to avoid it.
Literally every time somebody makes an observation it exposes how badly thought out that episode was.

I hadn't even noticed that one but yep, there it is for all to see.

Dragon can destroy THE Wall with fire but can't destroy the thin wall Jon Snow is sheltering behind.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:37 pm

As someone else has said, the dragon was probably badly wounded from the fight with his fellow. Perhaps out of 'fuel' too? Who knows how these fantasy creatures internal organs work

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:41 pm

Falcon wrote:As someone else has said, the dragon was probably badly wounded from the fight with his fellow. Perhaps out of 'fuel' too? Who knows how these fantasy creatures internal organs work
Not so much Puff the magic dragon?

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:54 pm

Spiral wrote:Jon isn't impervious to fire in spite of him being a Targaryen. He burnt his hand on the lantern in S1 while saving Jeor from the wight and attention is drawn to the wound the next/second to next episode (can't remember exactly) when Jeor asks him how his hand is healing before gifting him Longclaw. Viserys, also a Targaryen, was burned to death.

This might be pickiness of the highest order, but Viserys was melted to death, not burned. I know you can't have melting without heat, and heat also burns, but I think technically he wasn't burned to death...technically. I think.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:04 pm

CombatClaret wrote:Another lost moment I thought was coming but wasted.

John on his own surrounded by the undead. Then Danny covers them all in dragon fire (John included) and he comes out alright. Not only would it have explained how he gets out of that moment buts it's a great character moment for Danny to show her trust of John after he told her he's a Target, great way to show it.

Other moments I though coming but wimped out included:
- Greyworms early decision not to lead the unsullied in a suicidal defense of the retreat.
- Sansa & Tryion suiciding themselves in the crypt when all appears to be lost. How tragicaly beautiful that would have been.
- John having to make a choice between saving a friend or going toward the bigger threat (but friend actually dies as a consequence).
I believe the books make it clear that Targaryens are not immune from dragonfire, she had a one off event when the dragons were born, then the writers of the TV version make it a double event when she was a prisoner years later. Thus Jon could have been toasted, but he would have had a nice crisp to him if he was.

I thought that much of the episode’s genius was in what went unspoken, so your “saving a friend” bit came when he saw Sam getting ripped apart and left him to it. Maybe Sam will die, maybe not, but it made it clear that he had a single minded purpose, to find the Night King. I don’t think the writers wanted to lead us by the hand to show us what he was thinking.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:08 pm

I think a lot of this is that we all know its coming to an end, and there won't be anything like it again.

But its been consistently the best thing on TV since the first scene before the credits in the first season, and all good things come to an end.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:37 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:This might be pickiness of the highest order, but Viserys was melted to death, not burned. I know you can't have melting without heat, and heat also burns, but I think technically he wasn't burned to death...technically. I think.
Same could be said regards Daenerys and the bathtub scene in S1, though. Boiling isn't burning, either, but the scene implies her impervious relationship with fire.
CombatClaret wrote:Your idea that it's all a re-telling is fine, If they actually set it up like that. Introduced a framing device, season one opens with a Queen telling the young prince of how Westeros was saved, or "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away" even that gives you a bit of licence for the legends and mists of time.
A version of this could still come to pass. It's possible (probable) the Sam is GRRM's plant in the story (bookish, smart, unathletic etc) and I wouldn't be surprised if the very last shot of the entire series is Sam recording 'this' period of the histories of Westeros in a tome entitled "A Song of Ice and Fire", harking back to his line in S7, "something a bit more...poetic?" while he was in The Citadel. Apologies if I'm going off on a stream of consciousness - these kind of supra-textual, post-narrative meta-reveals can divide opinion, but I personally think they can be a great way of ending the story if done right. Rather than the story 'ending' at an arbitrary point (even to a hugely satisfying conclusion) the audience feels as though they become a participant in the world when they read the books again or go online or read a wiki etc. It makes it more than a 'documentary of fictional events', if you catch my meaning.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:53 pm

Spiral wrote:Same could be said regards Daenerys and the bathtub scene in S1, though. Boiling isn't burning, either, but the scene implies her impervious relationship with fire.

I'd forgotten about that, as outrageous as it sounds. I think I'll go on MrSkin and, erm, refresh my memory....heh

edit - scrap that, they charge.

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:25 pm

Spiral wrote:A version of this could still come to pass. It's possible (probable) the Sam is GRRM's plant in the story (bookish, smart, unathletic etc) and I wouldn't be surprised if the very last shot of the entire series is Sam recording 'this' period of the histories of Westeros in a tome entitled "A Song of Ice and Fire", harking back to his line in S7, "something a bit more...poetic?" while he was in The Citadel. Apologies if I'm going off on a stream of consciousness - these kind of supra-textual, post-narrative meta-reveals can divide opinion, but I personally think they can be a great way of ending the story if done right. Rather than the story 'ending' at an arbitrary point (even to a hugely satisfying conclusion) the audience feels as though they become a participant in the world when they read the books again or go online or read a wiki etc. It makes it more than a 'documentary of fictional events', if you catch my meaning.
I get it, LOTR ended with another fictional Sam essentially rounding off the plot as If the story was recounted by him. "I'm back...". He is argued to be the actual main character by many.
My disappointment though is that the 'Game of Thrones' as we've been told never has an ending, it's like the Premier League, always another Champion.
The Night King was a new ultimate threat which made that game so trivial. So John/Danny/Tryion/Arya etc takes the throne... So what, what happens 20 years later...
Lancasterclaret wrote:I think a lot of this is that we all know its coming to an end, and there won't be anything like it again.
But its been consistently the best thing on TV since the first scene before the credits in the first season, and all good things come to an end.
I think there has been a very clear downward shift from when the HBO show runners were going off the definitive novel writings of GRRM to their own vision and priorities (even If based off what GRRM had somewhat outlined, though he wont confirm).

They clearly confirm some of it is fan service which was never what GoT never was about. Lyanna Mormont was meant to be a one scene character but when they saw the audience response they gave her probably the best death of the episode even if it made no sense (I'm a zombie giant killing everything without a second thought but let me pick you up and pull you close to my eye... stab... fans cheer)

brigante
Been Liked: 240 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by brigante » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:55 pm

So I’ve just finished watching this for the third time and it gets better each time.

I was just going to add to this thread to say that one of the things I thought I’d missed was how central Sams experiences are to the episode and that I thought he had some central part to come in the next few episodes. I think the above theory about his writing it is a really good call.

brigante

Post by brigante » Wed May 01, 2019 12:13 am

Just a little detail that may be something or nothing. When Jon is prevented from getting into the woods by that dragon, it seems senseless for him to all of a sudden decide to stand up to it. I thought he was shouting “No”, but he isn’t, he shouts “go, go, go, go”. Has he spotted Arya and is essentially creating a diversion knowing he may die in the process?

MG70
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 425 times

Post by MG70 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:50 am

What was the white walker looking at just before Arya came flying in?

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed May 01, 2019 7:56 am

MG70 wrote:What was the white walker looking at just before Arya came flying in?
The cameraman.
This user liked this post: MG70

MG70
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 425 times

Post by MG70 » Wed May 01, 2019 8:01 am

:lol:
Imploding Turtle wrote:The cameraman.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:49 am

Watched it last night - absolutely brilliant.
Try not to over think or over analyse these things and prefer to just enjoy them.
The music score was awesome btw.
Anyone post a list of those main characters who definitely died ?

whiffa
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 2560 times

Post by whiffa » Wed May 01, 2019 10:05 am

Falcon wrote:Great episode. Like many others, I shouted at the telly when Arya plunged the knife in.

You weren't emotionally invested in Jorah? Agree on the others.

whiffa
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 2560 times

Post by whiffa » Wed May 01, 2019 10:07 am

TVC15 wrote:Watched it last night - absolutely brilliant.
Try not to over think or over analyse these things and prefer to just enjoy them.
The music score was awesome btw.
Anyone post a list of those main characters who definitely died ?
https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/a ... interfell/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: TVC15

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Wed May 01, 2019 10:27 am

whiffa wrote:You weren't emotionally invested in Jorah? Agree on the others.

I'm not particularly no. I probably should be, but I was unmoved by it.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5000 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed May 01, 2019 1:02 pm

I watched it again with the tele on full brightness and it showed more detail. It was amazing and at the end of the day it is a fantasy programme don't read to deep into it.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed May 01, 2019 6:41 pm

brigante

Post by brigante » Mon May 06, 2019 10:53 pm

Uh oh, Ms Tygerenagearen