Game of Thrones on NOW TV

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Re: Game of Thrones on NOW TV

Post by Spiral » Tue May 07, 2019 3:41 am

Gendry: "Marry me"

Arya: "Nah, that's not me
Act like a wasteman that's not me
Sex any girl? Nah, that's not me
Lips any girl? Nah, that's not me
Yeah, I used to wear Gucci
I put it all in the bin cause that's not me
True, I used to look like you
But dressing like a mess nah that's not me"...

doo doo doo...doo...do doo...doo...doo...

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue May 07, 2019 4:20 am

anyone else notice the starbucks coffee cup **** up ? lol

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Tue May 07, 2019 4:57 am

Vegas Claret wrote:anyone else notice the starbucks coffee cup **** up ? lol
Someone stuck on his 803 rewatch brightness settings notified the internet and now every autist with a login believes their immersion is broken.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue May 07, 2019 7:49 am

I see just like the myth of Tiger Tanks, Dragons aren't actually that good.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Wed May 08, 2019 12:12 pm

They need armoured dragons.

If only they had a master blacksmith.

Test User
Been Liked: 89 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Test User » Wed May 08, 2019 12:44 pm

Armoured dragons won't work. The armour would need to be hella thick to stop a Scorpion shot, which will make it much tougher to fly, maybe even impossible. And the armour could only protect the body. But who knows, with the way this season has been written maybe she has a few more dragons we don't know about. Born and raised off-screen.

I've tried defending the show through the first three episodes of this season but episode 4 has been my tipping point. So much important stuff is happening off screen. Just from this last episode we had Missandei captured off screen, we had the incredible (as in 'lacking credibility') ambush planned off screen and pulled off without any notice. How amazing would it have been to see Euron planning that, finding out at the planning stage that he has these weapons and then waiting to see if his ambush is successful. And it wouldn't have happened the way it did. The plan could have been to be seen by Dany flying her dragons, and then ambushing her with these weapons as they descend to attack, because there's absolutely no way someone from Dany's vantage point should be getting completely ambushed by that many ships.

One of the things about Ned Stark's death that made it so amazing was that we saw it coming, clear as day, except we kept expecting that at some point he'd avoid death because that's what happens to main characters, and for a moment we even thought that's what was going to happen when he confessed, but despite the long lead up to his execution, and against everything we knew about how TV shows work, he was still executed. This ambush could have been like that. We could have had a whole episode of seeing what's coming and then be shocked by it not being refuted. But instead they went for a bullshit, naval fleet ambushing an air force idea that just make no ******* sense.

Caballo
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by Caballo » Wed May 08, 2019 12:45 pm

Bit baffled by the ease at which the second dragon was lost. The books claim the last dragon 'shot down' was a one in million chance and never to be repeated, Euron (??) and his fleet managed 3 or 4 direct hits in succession.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Wed May 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Really enjoying it so far. It's such a shame it has to end.

Also it's a massive shame that the last 2 seasons have been condensed into 13 episodes, could do with a lot more fleshing out, but I guess they had budget considerations :(

There is a LOT to fit in in the last two episodes

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Wed May 08, 2019 3:35 pm

I'm most hyped about Arya and Sandor's little adventure. I'm sure what they do will end up being pivotal in some way.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed May 08, 2019 3:52 pm

Sandor will hopefully fight and kill The Mountain - and he will then get killed saving Arya in some way and die a happy man !
So much to fit into 2 episodes it will be interesting to see if the writers give the audience the endings they want - obviously some of the favourite characters will die but someone is gotta to be left at the end for the follow up / spin off series !

SonofPog
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by SonofPog » Wed May 08, 2019 9:35 pm

I'm enjoying it. I'll watch the last two episodes. But it's a long looooooong way for being the great television show that it was in Seasons 1-5.

I can't even be bothed to write a long post detailing all the faults, plot holes and just lazy storywriting like I did with the last episode. But will someone please just PET THE FING PUPPY.... If you cant be ar$ed to CGI Ghost doing anything other than standing around, just don't bother.

And thats the overwriting feeling I'm getting from D&D the producers now... They just couldnt be bothered with GOT anymore, they've got Star Wars now. They've made their millions. We almost forgot they sowed Deadpools mouth shut. So what there's a Starbucks cup in a shoot with nearly all the cast in it. No-one bothered to say anything. No show runners, no producers, no post production. Lets call it in.

The Metacritic ratings for this show are dropping quicker than dragons.

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Thu May 09, 2019 4:51 am

Falcon wrote:As someone else has said, the dragon was probably badly wounded from the fight with his fellow. Perhaps out of 'fuel' too? Who knows how these fantasy creatures internal organs work
Out of fuel my backside George Boyd was putting shifts in up and down the right to protect Tripps when out of fuel. Not having it sorry.

Edit: on a weekly basis may I add and the odd Tuesday Saturday.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Thu May 09, 2019 8:47 am

I'm trying not to look at GoT fan forums. It's always either the best episode ever or has ruined the whole series with no shades of grey. People can't just say 'it was a pretty enjoyable episode, 7 out of 10'.

There's also an air of superiority from the people who thought it was crap over those who thought it was good, which I don't like. Some people thought it was ace, that's fine. Some people thought it was rubbish, that's also fine. No one person's opinion is better than the other.

I think it has suffered from trying to cram so much stuff into 2 short series, but the writers are doing their best with the short run time they've been given. This has caused the plot to be moved on far faster than what would be ideal, and a lot of stuff has been left off-screen for you to work out. Despite this I'm enjoying the acting, the spectacle, the CGI, the fact that we're finally seeing certain characters interact which has been building up for years.

However it ends, it's never going to make everyone happy. I just hope it's a fitting end and we don't just get fobbed off with Jon & Dany ruling together with all the bad guys dead.
This user liked this post: Vintage Claret

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Thu May 09, 2019 12:52 pm

I agree with Falcon, this series definitely feels different to the preceding ones with more happening 'off screen' but still enjoying it.

Watched episode 4 last night and it was a bit of a slow burner (no pun intended) and setting the scene for things to come.

The scene where Tyrrion was trying to appeal to Cersie's better nature (good luck with that) was really tense and I did wonder whether she was finally going to carry out her threat to kill him as she had passed on the golden opportunities to do so several times already.

The bit I didn't get about the fleet ambush was why Daenerys on the surviving dragon didn't climb to a height above the range of the deadly harpoon thingys, circle back and flame the enemy fleet from above and behind as there didn't appear to be any harpoon guns attached to the back of the ships (unless I missed them)

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:06 pm

Anyone seen Ep5 yet?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:09 pm

Yep - just finished it now.
Brilliant !

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:12 pm

Last two episodes have been much better I think. Not sure what happened with the clegane bowl though, not keen on the outcome.

She will never rule now. Arya is gonna do her in

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 13, 2019 11:23 pm

That was a brilliant episode

And well hard dragons are back!

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon May 13, 2019 11:29 pm

talk about mass hysteria over nothing, the entire series is a bag o' ***** and I havent even seen a single episode.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 13, 2019 11:33 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:talk about mass hysteria over nothing, the entire series is a bag o' ***** and I havent even seen a single episode.
How do you know someone has never seen an episode of Game of Thrones?

They tell you straight away
This user liked this post: whiffa

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Mon May 13, 2019 11:39 pm

Shitty ending for Cersei. I wanted Arya to do the deed.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Tue May 14, 2019 12:48 am

Great spectacle but terrible narrative.

The Jaime storyline was the worst, although Arya's wasn't far behind.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue May 14, 2019 2:08 am

I'm a fan of got but i thought this episode was crap, went against everything the storyline had been since the beginning

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Tue May 14, 2019 3:18 am

Has sansa caught the next easyJet flight out yet I would start running daaayum

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 317 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Tue May 14, 2019 6:58 am

Danaerys = Owen Coyle. Reputation forever tainted by how it ended.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue May 14, 2019 7:12 am

Has this not finished yet?

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Tue May 14, 2019 8:52 am

Last night's episode was entertaining as a spectacle but a bit disappointing storywise and the battle was too one sided.
Obviously Daeny/Jon had the advantage of a giant airborne flame thrower on their side but as had been shown previously they are not indestructible and I kept thinking Cersei and her troops had a cunning plan up their sleeve to turn the tables (and what a disappointing demise for her and Jamie, 2 of the best characters in the show)

The fight between Sandor and The Mountain was well staged (even if the latter was very 'Jason in Friday 13th' like in his indestructibility)

Looking forward to the conclusion of what has been an epic ride next week.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue May 14, 2019 8:55 am

Best episode for a long time for me.

They've finally gone back to properly subverting expectations and having characters a mixed bag rather than just good or bad.

Dany's gone mental. Cersei and her forces were pathetic. Arya can just be a scared little girl rather than a ruthless assassin. The Northern and Unsullied armies aren't paragons of virtue. Varys (and Tyrion if Dany works out what he did) sacrificing themselves for 'the greater good' rather than playing the game.

Once Dany went off on her rampage I was just staring open mouthed at the screen. Haven't had a shock like that since the infamous Red Wedding episode. Classic GoT.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret whiffa

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue May 14, 2019 8:55 am

Also, Lena Headey's acting was phenomenal.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret whiffa

Test User

Post by Test User » Tue May 14, 2019 11:18 am

Falcon wrote:Best episode for a long time for me.

They've finally gone back to properly subverting expectations and having characters a mixed bag rather than just good or bad.

Dany's gone mental. Cersei and her forces were pathetic. Arya can just be a scared little girl rather than a ruthless assassin. The Northern and Unsullied armies aren't paragons of virtue. Varys (and Tyrion if Dany works out what he did) sacrificing themselves for 'the greater good' rather than playing the game.

Once Dany went off on her rampage I was just staring open mouthed at the screen. Haven't had a shock like that since the infamous Red Wedding episode. Classic GoT.
My only problem with it was that Dany's conversion to Mad Queen feels rushed. I liked where her character ended up but it should have taken a few more episodes for her to get there. We never really watched her descend into madness.

I'm really looking forward to the last episode now. I think Jon will want the throne just to remove Dany. Or he might rebel and become King in the North again. But i think more likely is that he wants to dethrone Dany for what she did.

And i'm not sure what happens to Tyrion after he freed Jaime. His plan worked, and the city surrendered, but with Dany flipping out i'm not sure it makes sense for her to show him mercy since that would require her to see reason in Tyrion's treason (ha, i rhymed!). Maybe he'll Return north with Jon and his army, but i can see him dying next episode.
This user liked this post: Falcon

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue May 14, 2019 11:23 am

I can't wait for the next episode, but then afterwards, no matter how it ends, I'm also going to be devastated that there will be no more.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue May 14, 2019 11:30 am

Personally think Arya will take the Iron Throne. Been saying to the missus I think it will close the story nicely. If I remember rightly in the very first episode when the King came to see Sean Bean, Arya was late arriving to line up for the kings arrival and when he did arrive and greet them she asked whether one day she could rule (something along those lines). The king laughed and ruffled her hair. Like I say it was a long time ago and would need to rewatch. But just feel in this era of #metoo a woman will end up on the throne and Arya is probably the best pick. Her sister is spiteful, Dany is a psycho and Jon is wet

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue May 14, 2019 11:47 am

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Personally think Arya will take the Iron Throne. Been saying to the missus I think it will close the story nicely. If I remember rightly in the very first episode when the King came to see Sean Bean, Arya was late arriving to line up for the kings arrival and when he did arrive and greet them she asked whether one day she could rule (something along those lines). The king laughed and ruffled her hair. Like I say it was a long time ago and would need to rewatch. But just feel in this era of #metoo a woman will end up on the throne and Arya is probably the best pick. Her sister is spiteful, Dany is a psycho and Jon is wet

Or perhaps Gendry and Arya can rule in tandem

Test User

Post by Test User » Tue May 14, 2019 11:49 am

Arya taking the throne would possibly be the dumbest conclusion.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue May 14, 2019 12:02 pm

Oh I agree, just in for a penny and all that. Chuck Gendry in the mix.

Caballo
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by Caballo » Tue May 14, 2019 12:45 pm

She could be pregnant with Gendry's kid following their 'liaison', could that be the prince that was promised?

brigante
Been Liked: 240 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by brigante » Tue May 14, 2019 12:47 pm

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it finished up with Dany killing Jon, taking the throne and then being killed by Arya, leaving Sansa to pick it up. Who fecking knows though.

brigante
Been Liked: 240 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by brigante » Tue May 14, 2019 12:49 pm

ps. I didn’t click until I saw it on Twitter this morning but the whole exchange between Varys and the lass about the fact that Dany was sullen and not eating was that he was trying to poison her. Maybe I was just being thick though.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue May 14, 2019 12:50 pm

Nothing will surprise me next week. By that I mean I expect to be surprised, if that makes sense.

The 'obvious' now would be Dany getting killed and Jon taking his real name and ruling as Aegon Targaryan. Who does the killing though?

Friend at work has a theory that Drogon will reject her and choose Jon as the 'true heir' - that would be interesting. Can't see it happening though; she's raised him from a baby and surely a dragon cannot know the politics of the situation. Or can it?

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue May 14, 2019 12:51 pm

It was brilliant forget in depth plots enjoy the spectacle. For what it is worth I think Arya will kill Danaerys

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue May 14, 2019 12:51 pm

brigante wrote:ps. I didn’t click until I saw it on Twitter this morning but the whole exchange between Varys and the lass about the fact that Dany was sullen and not eating was that he was trying to poison her. Maybe I was just being thick though.
I hadn't even thought about that

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue May 14, 2019 1:04 pm

Falcon wrote:I hadn't even thought about that
Ditto, but in fairness Mrs LC was eating a bag of crisps and I didn't catch most of that conversation.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Tue May 14, 2019 1:17 pm

Test User wrote:Arya taking the throne would possibly be the dumbest conclusion.
As dumb as ripping up six years of Jaime's character development and redemption arc as they did in this episode?

SonofPog
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by SonofPog » Tue May 14, 2019 1:23 pm

Yeah, it was okay.

They did their best with the situation they had written themselves into and the little time they gave themselves.

SPOILERS

The good:
Lena Headley acted the **** out of a nothing role. (she literally spent the whole season staring out of the window).

Tyrion trying in vain to save the city and his brother, his scene with Varys and Jaime were the best in the episode.

The directing...

Eh.... the first 5 minutes once Dany went Mad Queen

The Rest:

Varys going from last episode having doubts about Dany to trying to poison her in this one. Rushed(it wasn't that obvious that's that what he was doing).

Ayra and the Hounds payoff, With the hound convincing her to let go of vengeance (which is why I hope that Ayra doesn't kill Cersai) would have had had more weight if there had been a set up scene, something along the lines of a Northern Solider trying to stop them, only for Ayra to kill him. Rushed

Ayra then became our view into the disaster porn that was the last 30 minutes, with what 4 fake out death scenes? Until she decides a group of people that look pretty safe aren't; convinces them to leave and they promptly die. Then she has the weird horse ending. Weird

Clegane bowl was okay, Another call back, (could have been better if Sandor had known that he was pushing the Mountain into fire.)

Euron's death was almost comical, who knew he gave that much of a sh1t about Jaime!? Weird

The scorpions went from machines of death, to absolutely useless; which was jarring. Weird

The golden company did nothing, but stand outside of the wall again. Pointless

Cersai's and Jaime's ending; i'm not upset Jaime went back to Cersai and as I said, Lena Headley acted the S**t out of her scenes. and hey we can all stop taking bets on who will kill Cersai, who had Rocks in the sweepstake?

Jaime arc wasted, But hey he went North, popped Bry's cherry and then went back to Cersai, so that's something I guess.

Which brings us to Dany. I can accept Dany going Mad Queen, but like so much of last season and all of this season it was so Rushed. It didn't feel earnt. She had won, She had no reason at that moment to burn everyone. (Accept one line earlier about The slaves of Meereen overthrowing their masters, so the people were also to blame.) Rushed.

My prediction:
Bronn will come to Kill Tyrion, who'll say just kill me, which will make Bronn not kill him.
With the Iron throne gone, I think they'll just declare each kingdom independent.
Jon will go North, he wont Pet ghost.

Test User

Post by Test User » Tue May 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Falcon wrote:Nothing will surprise me next week. By that I mean I expect to be surprised, if that makes sense.

The 'obvious' now would be Dany getting killed and Jon taking his real name and ruling as Aegon Targaryan. Who does the killing though?

Friend at work has a theory that Drogon will reject her and choose Jon as the 'true heir' - that would be interesting. Can't see it happening though; she's raised him from a baby and surely a dragon cannot know the politics of the situation. Or can it?
Jon. It would fulfil the Nissa Nissa prophecy. She's not mentioned in the show (i don't think) but in the books Nissa Nissa is the wife of Azor Ahai, and his sword Lightbringer was a bitch to make. First time he made it it broke when he tried to temper it in water, the second time he tempered it with a lion and it broke again. He knew for the third time he'd have to combine the soul of his love, Nissa Nissa, so he drove it through her chest and it worked (because why not)

"The pages told of Azor Ahai. Lightbringer was his sword. Tempered with his wife's blood if Votar can be believed. Thereafter Lightbringer was never cold to the touch, but warm as Nissa Nissa had been warm. In battle the blade burned fiery hot. Once Azor Ahai fought a monster. When he thrust the sword through the belly of the beast, its blood began to boil. Smoke and steam poured from its mouth, its eyes melted and dribbled down its cheeks, and its body burst into flame." - Jon Snow

Melisandre was wrong about Stannis, but i think she's right about Jon now. And when Dany asked her if she through Dany was this Prince who was Promised, Mel didn't say yes, she said "I believe you have a role to play, as does another, the King in the North Jon Snow". Maybe that role she has is the role of Nissa Nissa.
This isn't a new theory, people have thought that he was AA for years, but i'd discounted it myself because there wasn't anything in his arc that i could see as a metaphor for Lightbringer. Originally i thought it was Jaime, and his "Lightbringer" being his own reformation. As Kingslayer he broke, as Oathkeeper broke again, and then i expected him to kill Cersei to save KL again.

But now i think if the Nissa Nissa prophecy is to be fulfilled in the show there' really only Jon who can fulfil it by killing his "Nissa Nissa": Dany.
And his lightbringer? He never wanted leadership, but it was thrust upon him in the Night's Watch. That sword broke when he was murdered by his own men. He never wanted to be King in the North but it was thrust upon him again by the northern lords. But that sword broke again when he knelt for Dany. But after watching Dany burn King's Landing i think he could finally seek the leadership for which he was born.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Tue May 14, 2019 1:56 pm

No amount of galaxy brain takes will convince me that this show hasn’t been very badly rushed for the last two seasons, and has sacrificed almost all good writing in the name of just getting it finished with.

Test User

Post by Test User » Tue May 14, 2019 2:01 pm

No one's saying it hasn't been rushed.

Test User

Post by Test User » Tue May 14, 2019 2:09 pm

These recaps are a lot of fun

https://imgur.com/a/CoyWKMP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Tue May 14, 2019 2:10 pm

Test User wrote:No one's saying it hasn't been rushed.
Did mean in general not on here haha

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue May 14, 2019 2:14 pm

Falcon wrote:I can't wait for the next episode, but then afterwards, no matter how it ends, I'm also going to be devastated that there will be no more.
they are doing an offshoot
https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a835 ... ate-ideas/