the vultures are circling already

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

the vultures are circling already

Post by pushpinpussy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:15 am

arsenal, man city, Everton and Newcastle scouting McNeil

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... -Newcastle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Re: the vultures are circling already

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:20 am

pushpinpussy wrote:arsenal, man city, Everton and Newcastle scouting McNeil

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... -Newcastle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
£30 million or more and they can have him.

Other English players cost silly money, so that means McNeil can cost silly money.
Remember, it's all about potential and he's got plenty of it.

taffy
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by taffy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:32 am

£30 million is where the auction should start
These 3 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 Rumpelstiltskin IanMcL

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:£30 million or more and they can have him.

Other English players cost silly money, so that means McNeil can cost silly money.
Remember, it's all about potential and he's got plenty of it.
I would rather keep him thanks.

He's the one Burnley player that lights games up.

Another two seasons of him getting better then who knows what he could be worth and where he will of took the team.
These 7 users liked this post: summitclaret DomBFC1882 LoveCurryPies burnleymik Rumpelstiltskin dougcollins mkmel

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:37 am

Newcastle get s mention in the article :D :D

If City are interested you can add £10m plus to any asking price.

Funny thing is, the likes of Arsenal fans will likely turn their noses up because he’s not called Dwightio McNeilio and playing for some mid table Spanish outfit.
These 4 users liked this post: summitclaret Foulthrow Bosscat clitheroeclaret2

Walt
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Walt » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:41 am

He would be mad leaving. Guaranteed regular games he should stay for at least another season and see what happens then.
These 6 users liked this post: South West Claret. Top Claret Buxtonclaret Burnley Ace Clarets4me turfytopper

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:44 am

Walt wrote:He would be mad leaving. Guaranteed regular games he should stay for at least another season and see what happens then.
At least one yes.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:45 am

Sell him now.... his value will only get less and less as his attacking mindedness is coached out of him... ;) :lol:

Sorry.... just messin.

Agree the price should be astronomical. When we try to buy players, the selling clubs (or unwilling to sell to us clubs) name their price and that’s that. We should do the same.

We WILL sell tho... we won’t really have a choice.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:52 am

McNeil is worth more than any 30 million to us after the way he has performed this season.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:03 am

Top Claret wrote:McNeil is worth more than any 30 million to us after the way he has performed this season.
I know what you're saying TC but remember after the first year teams usually tend to target these type of players for special treatment like putting a couple of defenders on him so he might not be so effective.

Also with more aggressive "attendance" we might have the problem of injuries, so lots to consider by the club.

But having said that isn't it a really good position to be in after a few seasons of Premier money which is not to say we are flush as most people will be very surprised at the cost of players contracts + add ons now.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2618 times
Has Liked: 6413 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:14 am

Are we in a position where any team bar the top six can do one...??? I think so.

We can financially offer any player just as much as any of the "other 14" teams, that we choose not to is good future planning, what we also offer that most don't is career progression - especially since the England Manager has a season ticket... ;)

mikeS
Been Liked: 650 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:14 am

What length of contract is he on?

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:18 am

mikeS wrote:What length of contract is he on?
He recently signed a new contract.

BFC123
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BFC123 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:21 am

South West Claret. wrote:I know what you're saying TC but remember after the first year teams usually tend to target these type of players for special treatment like putting a couple of defenders on him so he might not be so effective.
He had about 3 players on him against Cardiff when he still managed to run through them all and set up our 2nd goal. He’s a special talent and we should be looking a huge money with 5 years on his contract. Fulham wanted £50m+ for Sessegnon last summer before he’d even played a game in the Premier League. McNeil has massively outperformed him (they have similar stats but McNeil has played a lot less games) this season.
These 3 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 THEWELLERNUT70 Rumpelstiltskin

BFC123
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BFC123 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:24 am

mikeS wrote:What length of contract is he on?
4 years left with the option of another in the club’s favour.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:32 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:I would rather keep him thanks.

He's the one Burnley player that lights games up.

Another two seasons of him getting better then who knows what he could be worth and where he will of took the team.
I'd rather keep him too, but if we are being realistic he could end up with a big move this summer and as a club we need to play hardball.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:I'd rather keep him too, but if we are being realistic he could end up with a big move this summer and as a club we need to play hardball.
Not sure the big clubs would risk him this year - another season in the Premier League with us would either cement him in as a real talent or he'll get found out every week, a bit like Sessegnon at Fulham.

Lord Beamish
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:39 am

He needs to spend a least a year here, getting first team football regularly and developing. I think he’ll know that. Unless ridiculous money comes in, we should keep him here.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:58 am

Any young player, considering a move to a top six club, needs to look at the example of Jadon Sancho. Play games, for a club and get rapid progression (assuming they have the ability) or alternatively sit in the reserves.

Someone needs to explain to these guys that they can earn relatively good money in Chelski or Mercenary City reserves (being used to fill the homegrown quota) or they can move to a club where they will play often and then get the mega money and games after moving to a bigger club as Sancho will no doubt do in the summer. I expect McNeil has his head screwed on and will pursue this option before leaving in 2020, assuming he keeps this form up.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:00 am

South West Claret. wrote:I know what you're saying TC but remember after the first year teams usually tend to target these type of players for special treatment like putting a couple of defenders on him so he might not be so effective.
He's been getting double marked for ages now but he still manages to get a cross in.

Taylors form has helped him a lot as well, he always seems to be up there for him if needed.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:02 am

Rick_Muller wrote:Not sure the big clubs would risk him this year - another season in the Premier League with us would either cement him in as a real talent or he'll get found out every week, a bit like Sessegnon at Fulham.
Poor management at Fulham is the main issue there for Sessegnon.

Yeah I agree that he'd be better off here for another season instead of being wasted on a bench like Foden does at City.

Like I said though, if it's going to happen the club need to be playing hardball.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:08 am

Rick_Muller wrote:Are we in a position where any team bar the top six can do one...??? I think so.

We can financially offer any player just as much as any of the "other 14" teams, that we choose not to is good future planning, what we also offer that most don't is career progression - especially since the England Manager has a season ticket... ;)
Not sure about that bud. Wolves? Everton? Maybe even West Ham (spits in disgust). And what about the potential teams comingf up? Whether we like it or not Leeds and Sheffield United are both much bigger clubs than us.

I don't think he will go anywhere yet as the big clubs won't want to spend the (likely) money we'd ask for a player with just over half a season under his belt. Players commanding the kind of fees being mentioned on here tend to have a couple of seasons at the top. He has been worth a kings ransom to us this season but if I were a club chairman I wouldn't be spending anything like 30 million on him just yet and anyone who did would be mad.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:09 am

Obviously I want us to keep him for a while, but from his point of view it'd be a real shame if he halted his progress now and went and sat on a bench for 2 or 3 years before getting a loan move to West Brom or something.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:12 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Yeah I agree that he'd be better off here for another season instead of being wasted on a bench like Foden does at City.
Foden is a very young star footballer in the making and looks to be being brought through sensibly and is probably getting unbelievable development under Guardiola and with the players around him

Foden has played 34 times for Man City's first team in the last 2 seasons whilst Dwight has made 23 appearances and I would say both Foden and Dwight are at the perfect clubs for them and neither should be thinking of moving

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:15 am

Leeds and Sheff United might be bigger than us in terms of ground, supporters or possibly history but financially they are nowhere near our level and there is no evidence to suggest they can be in the near future - even if they go up. Their current wage bills will be a fraction of ours and even if they go up it will take them a while to get anywhere near our £80m+ current wages.

As for McNeil I hope the club take a hard stance and refuse any / all offers for at least the next season. We do not need the money but the fans do need McNeil. Can you imagine this season without him - by a long distance he has been the highlight of this season.
These 3 users liked this post: Rick_Muller Burnley Ace Rumpelstiltskin

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:16 am

houseboy wrote:Not sure about that bud. Wolves? Everton? Maybe even West Ham (spits in disgust). And what about the potential teams comingf up? Whether we like it or not Leeds and Sheffield United are both much bigger clubs than us.
Its a similar argument for when Dyche was being touted to leave us for a "bigger" club. The question is - Are they bigger now? with the TV money levelling the playing field for the "Other 14" I'm not sure that those clubs mentioned are "bigger" clubs anymore. There are arguments that those clubs are bigger, but we can offer something others just cant seem to - having Dyche as a manager; a great team spirit; better prospects of playing for England - none of the bigger clubs appear to have those unique selling points (especially Dyche ;) ) and for an upcoming star of the game (unless he's really daft and just wants more money instead) that would be a deciding factor.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Frenchclaret
Been Liked: 184 times

Post by Frenchclaret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:28 am

Has anyone thought about what the lad himself would like to do?
Maybe he is happy to stay with Burnley for a couple of years?
I don’t know and neither does anyone else, so let’s leave him to decide his own future.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:29 am

No need to sell at the moment.
The question that should be asked is , How much would it cost us to buy a replacement that could do as good a job as Dwight?
When they've answered it, it should be a case of no sale.
This user liked this post: karatekid

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:35 am

Send out Brady in his shirt vs Chelsea

That’ll keep em away :lol:
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller Rumpelstiltskin

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:43 am

Keep him for another season then cash in , everyone knows the first whiff of talent gets the big boys quivering . He’s talented but has miles and miles to come on as a player

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:49 am

I think this is where the dry powder store comes into it.

For once we don’t need to sell our best assets and can actually add to them in the window. I always thought this would be a defining season for us as a club and having spent little money we are in a position to establish ourselves as a “proper” Prem team next season.

Set a price of 50mil+ a 10/20% sell on clause and let the big boys fight it out if they actually do want McNeil.

SHOCK that 3 teams we have to yet play are suddenly interested in our star asset just before we play them to maybe try and take his mind off his game.
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller burnleymik

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:54 am

If we can develop the right foot to ensure he can cross equally comfortably on either foot- he will definitely be in the big boys radar.

He has done brilliantly well this season and has certainly been pivotal in our success this year in avoiding relegation. I would want to see a couple more seasons purely as I don’t think we have the replacement for him or the ability to scout someone who fits our criteria.

His ability is there for all to see. Let’s enjoy it and keep him to allow his development to continue.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:08 am

Dwight is the type of player we should have signed in one of the last three windows, instead we brought in Lennon, Vydra and Crouch.

The club need to sign one or two centre midfielders to replace Defour who can give more of the ball to McNeil on a more regular basis in the way that clubs like Wolves and Newcastle targeted our left flank.

In the long run he is good enough to sign for a top six club where he can get European football regularly and maybe even win something, this has to be every players ambition.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:11 am

Given his performances I expect Dwight to be offered another deal/wage rise in the summer - It is the Burnley way under Dyche - they will move him up the earning tiers (without necessarily extending the length of contract) to keep the collective approach to earnings proportionate to team contribution which has made for happy squad who believe they are all treated fairly earnings wise compared to teammates.

As for us matching the salaries of others in the group of 14 - forget it - last year we were the 3rd lowest payers (£20m increase on previous year) with what I believe were very substantial amount of bonuses. I expect this years wage bill not to be much more - less Premier League bonus but extra payments as a result of the Europa qualifiers, plus new faces. Leicester, Everton, West Ham, Wolves, Watford, Bournemouth, Crystal Palace, even Fulham, probably Newcastle, possibly Southampton all pay key players over £100k a week - we don't come close. And all those have and will pay much more in transfer and agents fees than we would. If Brighton survive I would expect them to as well after the slow gain of last summers transfer window where they deliberately spent a fortune on players not ready for the first team expecting what they had to be enough.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:13 am

“Dwight is the type of player we should have signed in the last 3 windows”

Haha...very insightful

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:17 am

£50m at least .
This user liked this post: Barry_Chuckle

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2194 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 am

You're all being daft. He won't be going anywhere coz he's one of our own! ;)

:lol:

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:25 am

We are a selling club, but we only sell players at the peak of their value. Dwight McNeil is absolutely not at the peak of his value yet.

We need to get at least a full season out of him, and I'm sure we will.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:27 am

Its three goals and seven assists in 19 games, in the premier league and he's 19.

Thats proper well impressive, and its not a surprise that other teams are looking at him.

Certainly it would be better for him to stay, but he wouldn't be the first to have his head turned would he?

Lord Beamish
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:31 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Its three goals and seven assists in 19 games, in the premier league and he's 19.

Thats proper well impressive, and its not a surprise that other teams are looking at him.

Certainly it would be better for him to stay, but he wouldn't be the first to have his head turned would he?
I hope he likes omelettes.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:35 am

TVC15 wrote:“Dwight is the type of player we should have signed in the last 3 windows”

Haha...very insightful
Well, there were at least a couple available, Maddison and Brooks are two that spring to mind, two players who have yet to experience European football with their clubs.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:37 am

More squillions for the dry powder store :P

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 am

This could be the first time in our history we have a class act and are not in the position of having to sell.
I could have cried seeing Willie Morgan, Ralph Coates, Martin Dobson, Taffy James, Micky Phelan and Trevor Steven all sold for way below their true value.
Dwight will want to play at the highest level and good luck to him but if he has a decent agent they’ll be telling him to learn his trade at Burnley. Playing at PL level can only improve him, to his and our benefit.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:42 am

Astronomical fee in the summer of 2020 when he comes back from the euros, after scoring and assisting double figures next season. £60-£70m or close the door behind you suitors

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:44 am

ClaretLoup wrote:Well, there were at least a couple available, Maddison and Brooks are two that spring to mind, two players who have yet to experience European football with their clubs.
Maddison went for £25m to a club who are twice as big as Burnley in terms of wages, fees etc
Brooks looks a good player - McNeil has played just as well as Brooks so far and cost £12m less...that seems like a good result to me.

There are plenty of other threads if you want to criticise our transfer strategy - this one is about Dwight McNeil where there is absolutely nothing to criticise the club on.
This user liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:45 am

Can Vydra play left midfield

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:52 am

On a serious note though, should we secure a massive fee for McNeil it will have paid in full for the academy and then some!

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:56 am

No surprise at all he's on radars, but I'm not sure there's too much to worry about in that article that we couldn't suspect already.

We'll have enquiries about McNeil this summer and we may even have concrete proposals (possibly including a season on a loan back). However, we don't need to sell and I doubt Burnley expect to get an offer that would be close to what we believe is his peak value to Burnley.

A lot as always depends on Dwight himself, but at his age that in part depends on the people around him. It might just help that his Dad has been around the lower reaches of football for a long time and knows the business and probably isn't overawed by it, and it probably also helps that McNeil has already experienced the down side of being at a big club and understands the advantages (for him) of remaining at Burnley. Although admittedly we don't know what the new contract includes by way of release clauses, etc., the speed with which he agreed it suggests he's got his head screwed on and is being properly advised.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:05 am

No need to click on the link to know what boring drivel it is likely to say.

But McNeill won't be going any where for a while yet.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:10 am

Hedontplayforyou wrote:Astronomical fee in the summer of 2020 when he comes back from the euros, after scoring and assisting double figures next season. £60-£70m or close the door behind you suitors
This. Wait until next summer at the earliest and like mentioned, the fee for him could be so much higher.