the vultures are circling already

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Re: the vultures are circling already

Post by Longside4evr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:17 pm

fidelcastro wrote:You've got a nerve mentioning bullsh1t!

:roll:
Why do you care to elaborate

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2216 times
Has Liked: 2204 times

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:20 pm

Longside4evr wrote:Why do you care to elaborate
I think TVC15 has covered it pretty well. Why would either player sign such a long term contract?

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:25 pm

I was at an away match at Cambridge at the time of the sale we got beat 2 nil every last supporter on that game was discussing the all saga he had switched off
everyone was saying at the time we had our pants down we could have commanded 500,000 k
So was you their on that game cos the next game played Trevor Steven wasn't and Everton had got a fantastic prospect very cheaply
So what you know is claptrap sir

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:31 pm

Longside4evr wrote:I was at an away match at Cambridge at the time of the sale we got beat 2 nil every last supporter on that game was discussing the all saga he had switched off
everyone was saying at the time we had our pants down we could have commanded 500,000 k
So was you their on that game cos the next game played Trevor Steven wasn't and Everton had got a fantastic prospect very cheaply
Aye, the pre-Internet age when supporters knew everything!

:lol:
Last edited by fidelcastro on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:35 pm

Longside4evr wrote:The contract could and should have been well before they tried to negotiate we knew we had good players 1 year into there contracts we could have tied them both down in a 5 year deal or a 4 year deal well before ok it would have cost and been a risk but BFC dont do risks as we well know
And as for him mentioning the 80s era i wasn't just reverting to the present like he portrayed i am talking decades
Like when we let Trevor Steven leave to Everton 300,000 derisory but at the time we were in decline and relegated eventually so snapped their hands of for what we knew would be an English International
The club tried to negotiate with Ings but he wasn't interested.
Trippiers new deal had the clause included or he would've gone earlier...

As for not doing risk, you're on crack.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:35 pm

fidelcastro wrote:Aye, the pre-Internet age when supporters new everything!

Ok yer you win

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:37 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:The club tried to negotiate with Ings but he wasn't interested.
Trippiers new deal had the clause included or he would've gone earlier...

As for not doing risk, you're on crack.
Yes take it every day its well good you should try it :roll:
And all am saying you lot that have lost the plot them players went to cheaply and held a better value whether you like it or not they all got bargains no
We have done it ourselves picking players up for nominal fees Tarko for one and now Taylor fantastic bargains but i bet their fans are saying we should have got more

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2903 times

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:46 pm

TVC15 wrote:Yep but you mentioned Dixon who was crap which makes your argument pointless.
As for £300k for Trevor Steven being a derisory amount it just goes to prove how little you know. He was 19 year old and only 3 or 4 years before he left Burnley Trevor Francis had just become the first English £1m player and he had was significantly more experienced than Trevor Steven.

Your comments on Ings and Tripps are just naive - and you seem to forget that the power is all in the players hands. Why would either sign a long term contract with a club who at the time have a wage cap of £15k a week ?
Anyone who saw the young Lee Dixon would know there were far more tears shed about other comings and goings at that time. I followed his career only because I got his photo as a freebie that summer when shopping at the club shop... with Billy O’Roukes. Think the only other one they had left was Jimmy Holland, but I had to pay for him lol.

Trevor Steven was huge money at the time. Think it remained our record for about 20 years.
Our reputation for selling low for me pre-dates my time... it’s just for most of it, just to get a few bob in was the best we could hope for... and there weren’t many takers at that.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Longside4evr wrote:Yes take it every day its well good you should try it :roll:
And all am saying you lot that have lost the plot them players went to cheaply and held a better value whether you like it or not they all got bargains no
We have done it ourselves picking players up for nominal fees Tarko for one and now Taylor fantastic bargains but i bet their fans are saying we should have got more
Lost the plot? Well... I don't think you've ever had it, pal.

:roll:
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:55 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Anyone who saw the young Lee Dixon would know there were far more tears shed about other comings and goings at that time. I followed his career only because I got his photo as a freebie that summer when shopping at the club shop... with Billy O’Roukes. Think the only other one they had left was Jimmy Holland, but I had to pay for him lol.

Trevor Steven was huge money at the time. Think it remained our record for about 20 years.
Our reputation for selling low for me pre-dates my time... it’s just for most of it, just to get a few bob in was the best we could hope for... and there weren’t many takers at that.
I agree on most of that but it would remain for 20 years as were in doldrums for that long the players after him were has been's and Bond was a perpetrator to that and skint the club even thorougher bring in his mates

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:07 pm

Longside4evr wrote:I agree on most of that but it would remain for 20 years as were in doldrums for that long the players after him were has been's and Bond was a perpetrator to that and skint the club even thorougher bring in his mates
Bond was a disaster but it was also the series of terrible manager appointments that put us at ‘Orient’. Perverse as it was had it not been for Orient we wouldn’t have got any new life about the place and would still be chugging along like Accy at best.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:10 pm

Longside4evr wrote:Yes take it every day its well good you should try it :roll:
Are you struggling to read?

ING'S DIDN'T WANT TO SIGN A NEW CONTRACT AND YOU CAN'T FORCE A PLAYER TO SIGN ONE!!!
We also got the record tribunal fee for him, which considering he was then crocked for X amount of years and has still yet to rediscover the form he had for us, we did well there.

Trippier was already planning to leave us and again he signed a deal that suited him so he could leave for a bigger club, which he did....

As for Taylor and Tarks, we paid what we did, the going rate.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:17 pm

Longside4evr wrote:I was at an away match at Cambridge at the time of the sale we got beat 2 nil every last supporter on that game was discussing the all saga he had switched off
That’s funny I can’t remember any Burnley fans saying that at the time....and I was going home and away all that season. As it happens we had a finance director at that time who was very good at his job and I am sure we got for him the maximum we could given the offer on the table and the fact that Everton and everyone else will have known we were skint and had to sell. Absolutely no point asking for £500k if they are only willing to pay £300k. Truth of it was that if Everton would have offered only £100k we would still have had to sell him such was our financial position at the time.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:34 pm

TVC15 wrote:That’s funny I can’t remember any Burnley fans saying that at the time....and I was going home and away all that season. As it happens we had a finance director at that time who was very good at his job and I am sure we got for him the maximum we could given the offer on the table and the fact that Everton and everyone else will have known we were skint and had to sell. Absolutely no point asking for £500k if they are only willing to pay £300k. Truth of it was that if Everton would have offered only £100k we would still have had to sell him such was our financial position at the time.
Listen what ever you say they got a bargain end of
and if you remember that much of the season with out looking up and i can tell you every result that season
What was the result of shrewbury away
And Leicester away if you know so much

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:50 pm

TVC15 wrote:That’s funny I can’t remember any Burnley fans saying that at the time....and I was going home and away all that season. As it happens we had a finance director at that time who was very good at his job and I am sure we got for him the maximum we could given the offer on the table and the fact that Everton and everyone else will have known we were skint and had to sell. Absolutely no point asking for £500k if they are only willing to pay £300k. Truth of it was that if Everton would have offered only £100k we would still have had to sell him such was our financial position at the time.
Based on the fact that Trevor Francis cost £1m. Remember West Brom got £2.5m for Brian Robson and Remi Moses a few years later. Circa £300k were big league transfers.
Last edited by elwaclaret on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:52 pm

Longside4evr wrote:Listen what ever you say they got a bargain end of
It’s weird - the way you post I would have had good money on that you were about 14 years old.

You think they got a bargain - “end of”....well they must have got lots of bargains then because they bought Peter Reid for £60k, Andy Gray for £250k, Kevin Sheedy and David Johnson for £100k each - players far more established and playing at a higher level than Trevor Steven.....sounds like we did pretty well to get £300k to me.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:57 pm

Longside4evr wrote:Listen what ever you say they got a bargain end of
and if you remember that much of the season with out looking up and i can tell you every result that season
What was the result of shrewbury away
And Leicester away if you know so much
Seriously are you sure you are not 14 years old ?
Is your dad bigger than mine ?!!

Tbh one of the only games I actually remember from that time was losing at Liverpool in the semi final - and I remember that because I went to the game in the finance directors BMW as I was mates with his son.
Does remembering scores from 40 years ago make you a bigger fan ?.....maybe it does but it doesn’t make you more correct does it ?!!

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 3177 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:26 pm

pushpinpussy wrote:arsenal, man city, Everton and Newcastle scouting McNeil

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... -Newcastle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi pushpin, I think you've chosen the wrong word - "vultures" only eat dead meat. No way will "vultures be circling" Dwight McNeil.

UTC

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:44 pm

Foshiznik wrote:Take the claret specs off and he's a £30 million player at best. We don't need to sell and he will be more valuable to us than somewhere else.
He's worth what what clubs would be prepared to pay for him. Those clubs would have to pay more than that for a 19 year old kid playing to his level at a club that doesn't need or want to sell
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:29 pm

Longside4evr wrote:The contract could and should have been well before they tried to negotiate we knew we had good players 1 year into there contracts we could have tied them both down in a 5 year deal or a 4 year deal well before ok it would have cost and been a risk but BFC dont do risks as we well know
You sure you aren't overdoing the hindsight here? After Ings' first season, his record with Burnley was 16 games, 3 goals, and a serious knee injury. Was that the time to give him a long term contract because Liverpool might come calling? After his second season, he had got up to 49 appearances and 6 goals. Was that the time?

It was his third season when he scored 26 goals. That was when he had a year left on his contract and he wouldn't sign a new one.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:33 pm

dsr wrote:You sure you aren't overdoing the hindsight here? After Ings' first season, his record with Burnley was 16 games, 3 goals, and a serious knee injury. Was that the time to give him a long term contract because Liverpool might come calling? After his second season, he had got up to 49 appearances and 6 goals. Was that the time?

It was his third season when he scored 26 goals. That was when he had a year left on his contract and he wouldn't sign a new one.
I'm guessing he doesn't remember that.

However, he remembers ALL the games from the early eighties period, apparently! :shock:

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:04 am

TVC15 wrote:Seriously are you sure you are not 14 years old ?
Is your dad bigger than mine ?!!

Tbh one of the only games I actually remember from that time was losing at Liverpool in the semi final - and I remember that because I went to the game in the finance directors BMW as I was mates with his son.
Does remembering scores from 40 years ago make you a bigger fan ?.....maybe it does but it doesn’t make you more correct does it ?!!
Only on here would someone with a terminal illness get abuse for having a different opinion.shameful by the usual suspects.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:58 am

tim_noone wrote:Only on here would someone with a terminal illness get abuse for having a different opinion.shameful by the usual suspects.
???

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:13 am

yes me with all your slander i everyday battle through life a dont get hung up on it i fly over from Spain at least once a month and have been doing so since i got struck down with this disease 2,000 miles to see the boys
but carry on at will my views may alter from yours and my mined isn't what it was it gets clouded with the amount of chemo i take to my body i have to lay in bed for two days at least
so if my views differ from yours or my spellings not up to scratch excuse me i am dying

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4180 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:18 am

Do you reckon we will ever reach a date where everyone finally understands the Trippier deal.
Last edited by claretonthecoast1882 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 3 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret GodIsADeeJay81 fidelcastro

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:19 am

Longside4evr wrote:yes me with all your slander i everyday battle through life a dont get hung up on it i fly over from Spain at least once a month and have been doing so since i got struck down with this disease 2,000 miles to see the boys
but carry on at will my views may alter from yours and my mined isn't what it was it gets clouded with the amount of chemo i take to my body i have to lay in bed for two days at least
so if my views differ from yours or my spellings not up to scratch excuse me i am dying
TVC15 is your classic internet bully/troll I wouldn’t worry about it you clearly have bigger issues to deal with
Good luck in that :)
This user liked this post: Longside4evr

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:26 am

I have every sympathy with Lonside4evr and wish him all the best and I'm no fan of TVC15 a lot of the time but this is a bit low. Longside4evr came on this post with a contentious view and a few posters disagreed and then debated/argued with each other.

This has nothing to do with a terminal illness and if TVC15 hasn't read the other thread where its mention how and why should he know. Only on here would someone use someones terminal illness to have a cheap shot at another poster they don't like

All the best Longside4evr I hope you continue to win the fight against your illness for as long as possible and maybe even beat it
These 4 users liked this post: fatboy47 Lord Beamish Lancasterclaret GodIsADeeJay81

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:42 am

Longside4evr wrote:yes me with all your slander i everyday battle through life a dont get hung up on it i fly over from Spain at least once a month and have been doing so since i got struck down with this disease 2,000 miles to see the boys
I had absolutely no idea of your illness - and genuinely sorry for what you are going through and I wish you all the best in your fight against it.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:46 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:I have every sympathy with Lonside4evr and wish him all the best and I'm no fan of TVC15 a lot of the time but this is a bit low. Longside4evr came on this post with a contentious view and a few posters disagreed and then debated/argued with each other.

This has nothing to do with a terminal illness and if TVC15 hasn't read the other thread where its mention how and why should he know. Only on here would someone use someones terminal illness to have a cheap shot at another poster they don't like

All the best Longside4evr I hope you continue to win the fight against your illness for as long as possible and maybe even beat it
I ain’t your biggest fan either !!....but thanks.
You are spot on about the posters who thought they were taking the higher moral ground bringing this up - but given who they are it’s hardly a surprise.

There are plenty posters on this thread disagreeing with his views and making comments which suggest they had no idea about his illness - and even if they did the posts being made are about his views and opinions on this thread and nothing to do with anything else. If the view is that we allow him to make comments on a football forum message board and everyone agrees with him because of his situation that’s fine - but I doubt that is what he wants to happen.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:44 am

That's right and i dont, I want it to be as normal a debate and hate bring up my illness to draw up sympathy believe me i could do with out the all lot of it
But to keep fighting on here when your only giving out your view and it ends up like Armageddon.
It happens on here not just me but with loads of posters i promise you i dont complain i just get on with it but when your on your own personal death row, i dont know how a lot of posters would cope they would be morning if they were going through this unwanted hollocks

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:52 am

Whoever suggested claret specs earlier....Hudson-Oslo played 0 Premier League games and was rated at £35m even then. Dwight McNeil is playing in a lesser team with lesser players and still carries the ball like he does and manages to create chances almost single handedly. Next season should be interesting to see how he goes but his stats speak for themselves, along with actually watching him drag our team forward time after time which is overlooked as you can tally that in terms of stats. We should value him incredibly highly and play hard ball when the time eventually comes.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:02 am

Longside4evr wrote:That's right and i dont, I want it to be as normal a debate and hate bring up my illness to draw up sympathy believe me i could do with out the all lot of it
But to keep fighting on here when your only giving out your view and it ends up like Armageddon.
It happens on here not just me but with loads of posters i promise you i dont complain i just get on with it but when your on your own personal death row, i dont know how a lot of posters would cope they would be morning if they were going through this unwanted hollocks
I can’t begin to imagine the pain and hell you are going through but I do know that as you were only giving your views that’s all other people were doing.
When you look at what we were actually debating it comes down to the thing that is debated on this board more than anything (Brexit aside !) - ie those criticising the club for certain decisions they think they have wrongly made in the past and those trying to explain or justify those decisions....that’s all it is and compared to your own personal fight it’s really not important at all.

Hopefully the many good times you have had supporting Burnley more than outweigh your frustration at some of the decisions you may have disagreed with. I don’t think there is a single Burnley fan who has been fully behind the club for all their supporting life - or any football fan about their own team....but without the lows there would be no such thing as highs.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:29 am

I never mean to slag the club of in anyway i live a breath it sometimes my views are we could have done it better in certain areas just like the European adventure
But in saying that that day in Athens for me was the best away day of my life and it will stay with me for ever even though we got beat in that fashion like the Derby game fog and the Jimmy Mullen chant Carlisle away York the Wembley all three for me Chelsea in the cup Southend Friday night 3rd division title
How could anyone want to slag off the club when I've been lucky enough to encounter all them adventures this club as give me the best times of my life.
I have always said if it wasn't for the football i would never have stepped back in Burnley again i would have had no need to THE ORIENT GAME SAVE ALL THAT UTC

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 722 times
Has Liked: 2025 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:01 pm

Rumbletonk wrote:He's worth what what clubs would be prepared to pay for him. Those clubs would have to pay more than that for a 19 year old kid playing to his level at a club that doesn't need or want to sell
Yes and that value won't be anymore than £30 million so we agree?

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:11 pm

while the vultures are still circling it means they haven't made up their minds to go in for their prey.

so let them stay with their heads up in the clouds

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1996 times
Has Liked: 1141 times

Post by FCBurnley » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:55 pm

McNeil has transformed our season. Avoiding relegation probably worth at least 100 million. We need to be thanking our lucky stars and looking to build a stronger PL team around him. His crosses have also made Wood and Barnes into better and more valuable assets. We are cash rich and have no need to sell. Having the likes of McNeil at the club should help us sign better quality players. Going to be an interesting summer. If I were a young improving player and Burnley came knocking on my door, they would have to be a great option to consider, even compared with clubs higher up the PL pecking order. Playing time for the best young players is everything.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:48 pm

Longside4evr wrote:I never mean to slag the club of in anyway i live a breath it sometimes my views are we could have done it better in certain areas just like the European adventure
But in saying that that day in Athens for me was the best away day of my life and it will stay with me for ever even though we got beat in that fashion like the Derby game fog and the Jimmy Mullen chant Carlisle away York the Wembley all three for me Chelsea in the cup Southend Friday night 3rd division title
How could anyone want to slag off the club when I've been lucky enough to encounter all them adventures this club as give me the best times of my life.
I have always said if it wasn't for the football i would never have stepped back in Burnley again i would have had no need to THE ORIENT GAME SAVE ALL THAT UTC
Good luck in your fight Longside4evr,I hope you stick around long enough to see DM prosper with us for the length of his current contract.All the best buddy ...Steve x
This user liked this post: Longside4evr

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:51 pm

If younger players want a realistic chance of game time or players out of sorts want to kick start their careers again then Burnley is a great club to come to. There are plenty of examples where we have helped players and improved England chances to make us an attractive option.It’s not a great place to come for players who are only motivated by cash. IMO the likes of Drinkwater. Young and wanting to improve, players wanting to get careers on track, youth and overseas are the future. Jumping ship too early for cash won’t help in the long run.