Smart TV On a Caravan Site

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Smart TV On a Caravan Site

Post by Siddo » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:37 pm

We have a static caravan and the site has installed wi fi across the whole site. We have a hub (?) right next to our van, and the wi fi signal on the lap top and smart phones is very strong. We can watch Netflix and stream matches on the PC.
Does this mean that a smart tv would connect to the internet enabling us to watch Netflix on the telly?
Thanks in advance.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Re: Smart TV On a Caravan Site

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:43 pm

I don't see why not.

chipbutty
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Post by chipbutty » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:45 pm

Can you not mirror your phone to your TV?

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:57 pm

Just get a firestick so you can down load anything you want on it and there portable.

Some smart TVs stop you watching certain apps like IPTV
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:07 pm

Siddo wrote:We have a static caravan and the site has installed wi fi across the whole site. We have a hub (?) right next to our van, and the wi fi signal on the lap top and smart phones is very strong. We can watch Netflix and stream matches on the PC.
Does this mean that a smart tv would connect to the internet enabling us to watch Netflix on the telly?
Thanks in advance.
If the TV has WiFi m, yes, you’ll be fine to access the applications on the TV. If you have SKY, you could also HDMI SKY Go from a laptop to the TV for your usual channels (barring BBC) I think.

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:43 pm

Siddo wrote:We have a static caravan and the site has installed wi fi across the whole site. We have a hub (?) right next to our van, and the wi fi signal on the lap top and smart phones is very strong. We can watch Netflix and stream matches on the PC.
Thanks in advance.
I'd be surprised if a caravan site wi fi would allow you to stream Netflix etc. The issue would be the bandwidth required if a number of vans all tried to do it at the same time. I don't believe the largest club (Caravan Club) support it.
I tend to download stuff via iPlayer or Netflix to a tablet and cast it to a TV.
This user liked this post: Siddo

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:21 pm

Contrary to what has been said already the answer is it depends

Bandwidth aside, the most limiting factor will be how they have the wifi setup. If they have only a password you enter to connect like at home and they place no restrictions on the ports that can be used to access the internet it will work fine.

If however they have some kind of alternative authentication such as needing to load up a browser and log in (similar to public wifi hotspots) and if they also block certain ports then it won't be do-able without some kind of difficulty, in some cases not at all.

What kind of set up is it? Like a pub where you have to log in via a webpage or is it just the owners sharing their home/office connections without any restrictions?

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:36 pm

To be fair you don't need to rely on the sites WiFi.
We have mobile wifi we take with us in the motorhome. 20g a month for 12 quid on three. Just changed from EE but it's worked all over the country.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:24 pm

Thanks fellow Clarets.
When we connect the lap top, it asks for a password which the site provides.
We can get Netflix on the lap top and watch it on a conventional tv via hdmi cable.
With smaller smart tvs being so reasonably priced, I was just hoping to get one and watch Netflix directly from the tv.
Sounds like it isn't going to be worth the risk, so should I stick with the lap top and hdmi cable?

Den_Perry
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Den_Perry » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:55 pm

The park Wi-fi is pretty flaky on the site we’re on and sure it’s limited anyway. Recently upgraded our mobile Wi-fi dongle with 3 mobile to unlimited and this costs around £25/month. Works great for us, 3-4 devices all on the go at some points with few issues (not tried a smart TV but had BT Sport in HD through my laptop to TV and it worked a treat.

Make sure you service check each provider before you order anything as it can vary between them which ones are the best for where you are located (EE for example which our phones are all on is completely useless and we are lucky to get a weak 3G nevermind 4G).
This user liked this post: Siddo

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:50 pm

ARRRGH

The joys of UHF and the old B/W portable with snowy pictures :oops: