March to Freedom nears

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

March to Freedom nears

Post by IanMcL » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:24 pm

THE UK may have descended even deeper into Brexit crisis in recent weeks, but that hasn’t stopped the architects of the 2014 Project Fear campaign – yes, the same people who said Scotland would lose EU membership if we voted for independence – springing back into action.

In 2014, they told us there was no way Scotland could agree with the rest of the UK to continue to use the pound sterling – this time, with no hint of irony, they’re throwing their hands up in horror at the suggestion that an independent Scotland might in future choose an alternative to sterling if that is in our best interests. 

Of course these politicians will always ridicule any suggestion that Scotland is capable of being a successful independent country, because they want us to believe that whatever happens to the UK and no matter what chaos ensues, the status quo is as good as it gets. 

But most people in Scotland don’t take that view. In 2014, many who ultimately voted No were open to persuasion. 

And today, with Brexit destroying any sense that the UK offers a stable and prosperous future for Scotland, there are even more people now open to the arguments for an independent Scotland. So the responsibility of all of us who support independence is to persuade those who are open-minded that it is the best answer to the questions we face.

I believe we will do that, not with deceptively simple assertions, but with an honest assessment of how we overcome challenges, alongside vision, ambition and a clear prospectus for the future.

Our decision on Scotland ’s future must be imbued with the kind of open, detailed, expert-driven debate that was completely missing from the Brexit deliberations.

The Sustainable Growth Commission was set up by me to make an important contribution to that task, and Andrew Wilson and his team have done an excellent job.

Of course, the commission’s report is not – and was not intended to be – a policy manifesto for the entire Yes movement.

It presents for us in the SNP a framework and menu of options to deal with challenges that an independent Scotland would inherit and ensure a smooth transition to independence, so that we can then maximise our vast potential as a country.

The report has been discussed and debated by members through a series of local meetings and three well-attended national events, and it is now up for decision by delegates at SNP conference next weekend. Ahead of that discussion there are three aspects of the report that I think are particularly important.

Firstly, and most importantly, it demonstrates just how much of our economic potential remains untapped. It illustrates the benefits to Scotland of becoming an independent country. And it presents the evidence that many similarly sized, independent nations perform much better than Scotland does as part of the UK. As a result, their citizens are wealthier.

The lesson for Scotland is clear and, as we face the economic damage of Brexit, surely more powerful than ever. The report then helpfully proposes a range of policy interventions that, with the powers of independence, could help us improve our economy and make it more sustainable, with a much stronger focus on wellbeing. It is neither exhaustive nor prescriptive but, from proposals to close the gender pay gap, tackle poverty and encourage more people to make Scotland their home, to welcome ideas about boosting exports and increasing productivity, there is plenty for us to draw on.

Second, the report makes clear that any fiscal deficit an independent Scotland inherits would be the result of Westminster mismanagement – not a reflection of independence. In other words, it is an argument for change, rather than for staying as we are. Furthermore, the report confirms our inherited fiscal position would be manageable and fundable. Of course, rightly, the report does not shy away from telling us that this position would have to be sustainable – for example, to ensure that the costs of borrowing are as low as possible – but the commission’s work gives us confidence that with the right approach to the economy, this is achievable.

And crucially – in a point underlined and strengthened in the resolution to be debated by conference delegates – it makes clear that this need not and, more importantly should not, be done through austerity or spending cuts.

We have learned enough from the experience of Westminster cuts in recent years to know that such an approach not only takes an unacceptable human toll, it is also economically counterproductive.

The SNP will never pursue an austerity approach.

And, thirdly, the report advocates an approach to independence negotiations and the future relationship between Scotland and the rest of the UK that is in stark contrast to the Brexit process.

For example the report recognises – as indeed the Treasury has already done – that an independent Scotland would have no legal responsibility for UK debt. We would in fact start life as an independent country with near zero debt.

However, the Sustainable Growth Commission suggests, and I agree, that it would be right for Scotland to pay a fair share of servicing that debt – but only if we were able to negotiate a fair allocation of assets too.

The report recommends that any fairly negotiated liability should be dealt with through an Annual Solidarity Payment, together with the costs of any shared services that might be required for a transitionary period or, exceptionally if it made sense for any particular service, on a longer-term basis.

That seems to me to be reasonable and sensible – and crucially, it recognises the fact that the rest of the UK will always be our closest friend and neighbour.

PERHAPS the most talked about recommendations in the report have been those on currency and the resolution seeks support for those recommendations. In doing so, there are some contextual points that I believe it is important to consider. Firstly, an independent currency is not, for any country, a magic wand that cures all economic ills – and we should never pretend that it is.

Further, it is self-evident from the fact that many independent countries choose to be in currency unions with others, that an independent currency is not an essential component of statehood. Instead, currency is a means to an end – and for any country the choice of what currency to use should be based on the best interests of our citizens and economy overall.

However, and not least because of the attitude of the UK parties to the proposal of a sterling union in 2014, I now consider that the balance of advantage does lie in a careful, managed and responsible transition to an independent currency.

Such a move would afford us greater flexibility and, if we make the right choices for the economy, would be the best way to support the fairer, more open, trading economy we want to build in Scotland.

So the SNP is being asked to adopt, for the first time, a policy position that is in favour of an independent currency. The resolution sets out that we will do so when the conditions are right, and only when we have completed the necessary preparations. Our ambition is to complete these steps within the first term of an independent Parliament. That is significant and important.

However, and this is just as important, we must not underplay or oversimplify the complexities and challenges involved – not least because the people of Scotland won’t believe us if we do.

Instead we must give people the confidence that the process will be well planned, robustly governed and, above all, that both process and timing will be driven by the interests of the citizens and businesses for whom these are critical matters.

Lastly, the party is being asked to agree that until we can safely and securely introduce a new currency, an independent Scotland should continue to use our existing currency, the pound sterling – just as Ireland did for a period when it became independent.

Using the pound sterling will protect jobs, wages and investment in the transition period and gives individual savers, pensioners, mortgage holders and businesses the stability and certainty they need. So the money in their pockets and bank accounts the day after independence will be exactly the same as the day before.

Now, as we know, there are some who argue, quite legitimately, for a different currency option – and there are those who will tell us for political reasons that nothing can ever work.

There are also some who want changes to the detailed plans the Sustainable Growth Commission put forward. Those views will be debated fully at conference, but there are a couple of broad points that I will briefly address here.

Firstly, it has been argued that we should set a faster timescale.

One of our big advances since 2014 is that we have now established new institutions in areas that were previously wholly reserved and are now partially (far too partially!) devolved.

We now have a tax agency, Revenue Scotland, an independent Fiscal Commission and a Social Security Agency. We collect revenues and we make payments. That means the transition to independence in these areas will be much more straightforward than it would have been five years ago.

However, it also means that we have much more experience now of the task of establishing new institutions. And to suggest that we could establish a Central Bank, with functions over and above those set out in the commission’s report, more quickly than suggested in our conference resolution would not, in my view, be credible.

Secondly, some say that the move to introduce a new currency should not be conditional on a vote in Parliament that is properly informed by independent assessments and, perhaps most significantly, that the six tests recommended to guide the process should be rejected.

My view is that the six tests – that we have a functioning and credible Central Bank, that our fiscal position is sufficiently strong, that we have a sufficiency of reserves to manage our currency, and that a new currency would meet the needs of citizens and businesses and the economy overall – are reasonable.

Of course, it is also reasonable to debate the precise detail of the tests and what criteria should determine whether or not they have been met – and I am sure the independent Scottish Parliament will do exactly that.

However, it is another thing entirely to suggest that the process should not be governed by any tests at all or that there should be no objective input from the independent Central Bank. To do so would be tantamount to telling people we will press ahead regardless of our state of preparedness, or the state of the economy, or indeed the interests of the country as a whole.

That would not be a responsible approach to take. And it would undermine rather than enhance the case for a Yes vote. My job – as the SNP leader hoping to lead the party into and through a successful independence referendum – is to put forward policy positions that are ambitious, but also credible. We know the level of scrutiny that our case rightly came under in 2014. In the wake of the Brexit fiasco, we can expect that scrutiny to be even greater next time around. Let’s embrace that challenge and rise to it.

However, let’s also remember a basic point of democracy. It is perfectly legitimate for there to be different views inside and outside the Yes movement, on currency or any other issue.

Vigorous debate is healthy and we should never shy away from new ideas. Being able to have these debates openly and honestly, and accommodate different views, is a strength of our movement, not a weakness.

The very essence of the case for independence is that the important decisions about our future will be taken here in Scotland by governments we choose, rather than at Westminster by governments that, very often, we have rejected.

So to make it possible for future independent sovereign parliaments to decide on the best way forward for our country and to build the fairer society we all want to see, we must first ensure a smooth transition to independence and a solid foundation that we can then build on. That, above all, is what the Sustainable Growth Commission is about.

For the first time in my lifetime, polling suggests that people now believe their economic future will be stronger with independence. Our challenge is to build confidence in the route map that will take us to that better future.

I am looking forward to the conference debate. After all, talking about the opportunities of independence is much more positive than resigning ourselves to the deep despair of Brexit.

Turning our debates into reality depends on winning a majority for independence – and that means persuading Scotland in all its diversity that it is the best way forward. It is that task, more than any, that unites our movement. And it is that task to which we must devote our energies.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Re: March to Freedom nears

Post by Damo » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:30 pm

As an Englishman, I'd just like you to know that I am more than happy for Scotland to become an independent nation, and stand on it's own two feet
These 12 users liked this post: IanMcL GodIsADeeJay81 Bosscat Vino blanco Clarets4me bfcjg LongsideFacingUp Colburn_Claret AndyClaret burnleymik rincon Goobs

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:32 pm

England will be very isolated, very soon.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:34 pm

Personally I think Scotland could go it alone as an independent country.
I don't think they need sterling either, but I get why they'd want to use it and have it backed up by the bank of England and I do find that part interesting, want freedom, but only if someone will back them up financially (probably the wrong term).
Instead of Sterling, they could always switch to using the Euro, but that's for them to decide tbh.

I also find it interesting that they want to break free of Westminster/England but then want to switch masters to the EU.
It's almost like they don't want true independence, if that makes sense.
It wouldn't be a quick process to get into the EU either, but wouldn't be as long as it could be because they're already aligned in most areas, but I don't know what the full EU rules are in that aspect.

Weird how some Scots want independence to maximize the full potential of the country, but when the UK votes to do the same, half the country resists it because they don't want to be apart from the EU.....ironic that isn't it when you've mentioned Brexit destroying any chance of a stable and prosperous Scotland etc...
Sounds a bit two faced in that respect.

Damo

Post by Damo » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:36 pm

IanMcL wrote:England will be very isolated, very soon.
Aye. And Scotland are going to have to pay for subscriptions and higher education
These 3 users liked this post: AndyClaret Bosscat DomBFC1882

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:37 pm

Damo wrote:Aye. And Scotland are going to have to pay for subscriptions and higher education
Don't the elderly get free care homes etc too?
Plus more £'s per head spent on them than the rest of the UK?
This user liked this post: Bosscat

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:41 pm

Scottish oil built the M25 and the Channel Tunnel and paid for Thatcherwoman's unemployment strategy, to keep us all in line.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2335 times
Has Liked: 1040 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:42 pm

Is this a discussion piece, Ian, or have you become the first SNP County Councillor in England ?
These 7 users liked this post: FactualFrank GodIsADeeJay81 BertiesBeehole AndyClaret Bosscat Quickenthetempo tim_noone

Damo

Post by Damo » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:46 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Don't the elderly get free care homes etc too?
Plus more £'s per head spent on them than the rest of the UK?
Yes, that's right. I think the best way for Sturgeon to achieve his goal of independence is to give English people the chance to vote in the next referendum.
This user liked this post: AndyClaret

Damo

Post by Damo » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:47 pm

Quick question Ian, just so we know if we can take any more of your comments seriously. Do you live in Scotland?

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:50 pm

Damo wrote:As an Englishman, I'd just like you to know that I am more than happy for Scotland to become an independent nation, and stand on it's own two feet
Always interesting to see the Scottish approach to Westminster ..... shaking a fist with one hand, and holding out a begging bowl with the other ! ;)
These 4 users liked this post: Damo Bosscat Hapag Lloyd Bosna

TonbridgeClaret
Been Liked: 193 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by TonbridgeClaret » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:50 pm

Damo wrote:Quick question Ian, just so we know if we can take any more of your comments seriously. Do you live in Scotland?
He loves Scotland so much that he lives in England, as do more Scots than any city in Scotland
Last edited by TonbridgeClaret on Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: Damo Bosscat

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:51 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Is this a discussion piece, Ian, or have you become the first SNP County Councillor in England ?
Thought it was different and interesting. ;)

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:55 pm

TonbridgeClaret wrote:He loves Scotland so much that he lives in England, as do more Scots than any city in Scotland
Yes, owing to past British policies towards Scotland and Ireland, there are many human exports, all over the world.

My family came down, for work, just before the war.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:57 pm

IanMcL wrote:Yes, owing to past British policies towards Scotland and Ireland, there are many human exports, all over the world.

Eh?
You're making it sound like you were transported down here on a sodding slave train...

If your family has been down here since before the war then you're basically English unless you were born up there?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:58 pm

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/p ... -1-3894089" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting article about Scottish Oil etc.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:05 pm

IanMcL wrote:Thought it was different and interesting. ;)
It's certainly that !! I'd be making sure the SNP aren't planning a modern day Darien scheme though ! ;)

Damo

Post by Damo » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:08 pm

IanMcL wrote:Yes, owing to past British policies towards Scotland and Ireland, there are many human exports, all over the world.

My mum is Irish.
I'm glad she never raised me to feel ashamed of the country I grew up in. I feel a bit sorry for you to be honest

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:10 pm

IanMcL wrote:Scottish oil built the M25 and the Channel Tunnel and paid for Thatcherwoman's unemployment strategy, to keep us all in line.
Sccottish oil? Bloody well grow up man. Notwithstanding Scotland is part of the UK, who exactly paid to find the oul in the North Sea and who for our of there?

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 773 times
Has Liked: 1431 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:11 pm

I think it’s time the UK voted on whether we should keep Scotland or get rid of it.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:17 pm

******* Brexit.

We've been a Union for three hundred years, with relatively little hassle and pretty much stamped our vision (for good and bad on the world)

But now because of reasons I don't get (both for Brexit and Scottish Independence) I'm supposed to turn into a little Englander and rant about Scots?

British first, and English second. Always will be.

You petty little nationalists on both sides can do one.
These 2 users liked this post: simonclaret Bosscat

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:19 pm

Good old Lancaster brings Brexit into everything. Good man.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:21 pm

Er, yeah

Scottish Independence was buried in 2014. 2016 bought it back on to the agenda.

Or maybe its to do with Culloden or something?

Vino blanco

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:22 pm

I don't think the SNP think it was buried in 2014.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:23 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:******* Brexit. We've been a Union for three hundred years, with relatively little hassle and pretty much stamped our vision (for good and bad on the world) But now because of reasons I don't get (both for Brexit and Scottish Independence) I'm supposed to turn into a little Englander and rant about Scots? British first, and English second. Always will be.

You petty little nationalists on both sides can do one.
I think most of this is tongue in cheek, Lancs ! On to much more important things, have you changed your Hyundai Estate yet ? :)

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:27 pm

Yes it was.

"Once in a generation" and all that.

They couldn't win independence when they'd run Scotland for what? Six/seven years?

2017 they lost a lot of seats as well, because people realised that they just because they want Scotland 1st, they still are not very good at governing it.

But by the chaos shown in Westminster, thats a massive incentive to the SNP.

Christ, I don't think anyone in Westminster should run anything. At least the Scots have a chance to do something about it.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 1517 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:28 pm

Do you live in Scotland?

Are you Scottish?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:28 pm

Clarets4me wrote:I think most of this is tongue in cheek, Lancs ! On to much more important things, have you changed your Hyundai Estate yet ? :)
It isn't at all. Not a fan of nationalists at all.

And no, still got it.

Looking like an SUV but probably not till the summer as the Hyundai is still running fine.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:29 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:Do you live in Scotland?

Are you Scottish?
IanMcL is Scottish, and like all nationlists, doesn't live there (see Brexiteers who live in Marbella who are uber patriots)
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Vino blanco

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:29 pm

I agree with the first sentence in your last paragraph

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:33 pm

I can't wait to hear the Scottish case for economic independence.

People been struggling for years to understand the UK case for economic independence from the EU, so blowing huge holes in the economic argument for Scotland will be a piece of **** for anyone vaguely competent in the field.

Anyway, been a long day at the in laws and driving back so off to bed.

Dream of Bannockburn and all that, and try not to think about Flodden Field!

Vino blanco

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:35 pm

I live close to Marbella in Spain and because of that I didn't vote in the Brexit referendum because I didn't think it would be right to do so. What I do think, however, is now that the vote has been made and the decision to leave has been chosen, that decision should be carried out, even though it could/would be detrimental to my living in Spain
This user liked this post: bobinho

alf_resco
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by alf_resco » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:35 pm

Many Scots dislike or even hate England and the English.
Fine.
They have a referendum and vote to remain in the Union.
Fine.
I happen to believe we are BOTH stronger together but if a majority of 50.000001% think they'l be better off on their own, please go and good riddance.
Let's see how Scotland will fare as a truly independent nation with zero handouts from England.
Like I say, I think we're better off together but if if you keep biting the hand that feeds you, well so be it.
You'll sincerely regret it.

But of course, most Scots, having kicked it into touch once, will kick it even further into touch if ever there was a second vote.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:52 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RyczXSRBUG4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:11 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/p ... -1-3894089

Interesting article about Scottish Oil etc.

"(A word of explanation: when the oil stops flowing, the platforms and pipelines have to be taken away, costing roughly £2 billion per year from 2018, for which the government will provide a subsidy of between 50-75 per cent. If the tax raised by production is less than £1 billion, as forecast by the OBR, taxpayers will pay out more than they get in – the negative cash flows mentioned by Prof Russell)."

I wonder if Paul Waine will find a way of redefining the word "subsidy" to exclude this.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:28 am

I will keep this union together in the name of Jesus.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1992 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:30 am

IanMcL wrote:Yes, owing to past British ATROCITIES towards Scotland and Ireland, there are many human exports, all over the world.
I’ve amended your post, Ian.
That would be the highland clearances and the famine. There was no need for either but government sat on their hands and allowed these two despicable tragedies to unfold.
Mans inhumanity to man.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:41 am

Scottish oil is all but done as big business and that's what the Yes campaign was built on last time. Scotland can't survive on whisky exports alone. They'll lose shipbuilding on the Clyde, they'll lose their single biggest site of employment in HMNB Clyde, Rosyth would never get a contract again. It would be like the turkeys voting for Christmas.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:01 am

Whilst living in Scotland not long after the Indy Ref, I was entertained on an almost daily basis by the SNP. You’d hear Nicola or another crony being interviewed on tv going something like this:

Interview - so Nicola, the SNP have brought his policy in and it’s clearly failed. What are you going to do?

Nicola - Oh, that’s actually Westminster’s fault.

Interview - But this was your policy!?

Nicola - No, no! All Westminster’s fault blah blah blah.

And repeat........
These 2 users liked this post: Bosna Bosscat

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:03 am

box_of_frogs wrote:Whilst living in Scotland not long after the Indy Ref, I was entertained on an almost daily basis by the SNP. You’d hear Nicola or another crony being interviewed on tv going something like this:

Interview - so Nicola, the SNP have brought his policy in and it’s clearly failed. What are you going to do?

Nicola - Oh, that’s actually Westminster’s fault.

Interview - But this was your policy!?

Nicola - No, no! All Westminster’s fault blah blah blah.

And repeat........
That's interesting. What are one or some of such policies?

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:18 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:I’ve amended your post, Ian.
That would be the highland clearances and the famine. There was no need for either but government sat on their hands and allowed these two despicable tragedies to unfold.
Mans inhumanity to man.
I am not sure one should amend another's post and leave their name on it, TT!

Of course, the Clearances and famine are the extreme, however, there have been many, many decisions, which impacted adversely, leading to exodus. Probably, right up to the late 1950's, in large numbers.

Other decisions, such as poll tax, have been contested.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:24 am

alf_resco wrote:Many Scots dislike or even hate England and the English.
Fine.
They have a referendum and vote to remain in the Union.
Fine.
I happen to believe we are BOTH stronger together but if a majority of 50.000001% think they'l be better off on their own, please go and good riddance.
Let's see how Scotland will fare as a truly independent nation with zero handouts from England.
Like I say, I think we're better off together but if if you keep biting the hand that feeds you, well so be it.
You'll sincerely regret it.

But of course, most Scots, having kicked it into touch once, will kick it even further into touch if ever there was a second vote.
'The hand that feeds you', is a very large, English illusion. If you assume Scotland is in need of feeding, Europe is a much larger potential benefactor.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:24 am

Substitute in 'Tories' and 'EU's' fault, and we've all heard those interviews on both sides of the border fir decades.

Or 'Margaret Beckett' and 'Tories fault' come to that.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:34 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Eh?
You're making it sound like you were transported down here on a sodding slave train...

If your family has been down here since before the war then you're basically English unless you were born up there?
No. Not sure how they got down, actually and too late to ask! Quite possibly a train. I think you underestimate the state of the Scottish economy back then. They were economic migrants.

Yes, I cheer on England, as well as Scotland and hope both are successful.

Above all, Up the Clarets!

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:41 am

IanMcL wrote:'The hand that feeds you', is a very large, English illusion. If you assume Scotland is in need of feeding, Europe is a much larger potential benefactor.
And there you have, there always has to be a benefactor for Scotland. Have your referendum, the result will be the same. You will always vote for dependence.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosna Bosscat

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:04 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:I’ve amended your post, Ian.
Mans inhumanity to man.
The awkward little fly in the ointment...where the clearances and the spud shortages are concerned is the amount of scottish and irish landowners that were involved....the scots and irish tend to cough and change the subject when you mention the figures.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:13 am

IanMcL wrote:England will be very isolated, very soon.
Isolation, Independence.
What's the difference?
You make out like it's good for you, but bad for us, give your head a shake Mac.
I've always been of the opinion that I want to preserve the Union, but if the majority want independence then that's their right, and we should do everything we can to accommodate that vote.
The rhetoric of the SNP is so short sighted, so biased, that a reasoned debate is almost impossible. That said, it isnt my problem but yours.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosna burnleymik Bosscat

Bosna
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 70 times

Post by Bosna » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:16 am

The SNP are a nasty, horrible party who will say anything to get a vote. Who will they blame once independence happens given how much they love the EU? London. And will Scotland ever truly be independent of the RotUK if there is a customs union, shared debt, shared NHS etc?

Also comparing Scotland with Ireland historically is a misnomer. It's just factually incorrect - look up Scotland's role in Guyana and the slave trade for one. Scotland is complicit in Britain's history, the good and the bad.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:18 am

Although I know the Scots are reluctant to accept the results of a UK-wide referendum, that really is their best bet if they want independence. I'll be happy to help you achieve your aspiration, Ian.

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1171 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by burnleymik » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:28 am

:roll: SNP wants independence, but want to remain part of the EU...

That said if the majority of Scots want another independence referendum, then that is their choice and we should respect whatever democratic decision they make.