Chelsea v Burnley - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Re: Chelsea v Burnley - Player Ratings

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:59 am

Heaton : 8 - looked solid and assured. No chance with the goals.
Lowton : 8 - can’t believe anyone can score him lowly playing against one of the worlds best players who for the first half hour was unplayable. The best you can do when Hazard is playing like that is try and keep him near the touch line and outside of the box so he can’t shoot / score. For a lot of the game we managed that - did Hazard have a shot on target ? Hazard prefers to beat his man several times than put a cross in...for the last 20 he was forced to putting crosses in for Giroud which for us is the best we can hope.
Tarks : 8 - great defending...distribution was poor a few times....again
Mee : 9 (MoM) - great game. This is how he played most of the time last season. He’s rarely done it this season.
Taylor : 8 - another excellent game.
Hendrick : 8 - great goal and very good performance and was out on his feet at the end.
Cork : 8 - one of his best performances this season
Westwood: 8 - couldn’t get him on the ball as much as would like but when we did he was quality.
McNeil : 7 - struggled to get in the game but deserves credit for the effort he put in. Every game in this league will make him a better player even the ones where he struggles.
Wood : 8 - held the ball up really well. Won plenty in the air...should have done better in second half when he got through on goal. Good assist for Barnes.
Barnes : 9 - can’t believe that whining cheat Luiz did not get booked the number of times he fouled Barnes. Ashley gave them a torrid time...the fans hating him because of the Matic incident a few years ago just fuels him up even more to play well. Luiz cost £50m / Ashley Barnes £0.5m !

Superb team performance. Very proud watching that. Chelsea’s reaction during after the match was truly pathetic...it’s embarrassing the sh-ite they have come out with. This is a set of plastic fans who not that long ago were having their weekly love in with Mourinho who was “parking the bus” on a regular basis.
These 2 users liked this post: CleggHall Taffy on the wing

Bfcshaun
Been Liked: 3 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfcshaun » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:39 am

Tremendous effort, desire and mental toughness. If other so called top clubs showed same attributes they wouldn't have lost 6-0 at Man City or 4-0 at Everton.
Heaton 7- kept the defence organised and not at fault for either goal.
Lowton 7- held his own against perhaps the best footballer in the country.
Taylor 8- keeps on improving and defended resolutely
Mee 9- apart from the missed challenge on Higuain was absolutely mesmeric.
Tarkowski 8- solid and held firm against pretty much constant second half pressure.
Cork 7- solid in keeping the shape
Westwood 7- energetic as always
McNeil 7- not as much as an attacking threat but protected Taylor very well.
Hendrick 8- superb technique for goal and helped with the defensive masterclass.
Wood 7- should have done better with second half chance but worked his socks off.
Barnes 8- gave Luiz and christensen absolutely no peace and also showed good instinct for equaliser.

Scott Arfield's Swag
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by Scott Arfield's Swag » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:55 am

Heaton 7
Lowton 7
Tarkowski 8
Mee 9*
Taylor 9
Hendrick 8
Cork 8
Westwood 8
McNeil 7
Barnes 9
Wood 7

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:28 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:Lowts went way too narrow and stood off him too much, as Sky said. I don’t believe in ratings players higher because of the class of opposition. It is Premier League not tiddlywinks. He had 8 accurate passes in the game and hardly got forward. McNeil had 9 accurate passes. I have upped a few of my ratings on reflection but my general point still stands.

Like I said in my ratings, no slight on him at all. He did as well as could have been expected..

I have panned Dyche this season and also panned Mee, handing out several 4’s earlier in the season. Today he was 10. Dyche would be 10 too. That shows I call it as I see it, with no agenda. That’s the way we should all do it.
We always defend with the full backs narrow though. That's just what we do. it's what Lowton did second half too - but the difference was that Loftus Cheek wasn't an influence down the right, so Hendrick and Lowton had just Hazard and the full back to deal with, not a 3 v 2. First half hour, it was all 3 v 2 down that side and it isolated Lowton against Hazard.
These 2 users liked this post: bfcmik Ashingtonclaret46

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:48 pm

Heaton 7
Lowton 8
Taylor 8
Tarks 8
Mee 9*
Hendrick 8
Cork 7
McNeil 7
Westwood 8
Wood 8
Barnes 9

Marty Dobson
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 261 times

Post by Marty Dobson » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:04 pm

Heaton 7
Lowton 7
Mee 9
Tarkowski 7
Taylor 8
Hendrick 8
Cork 7
Westwood 8
McNeil 7
Barnes 9
Wood 7

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1099 times

Post by bfcmik » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:24 pm

Heaton 7
Taylor 8
Mee 9*
Tarks 7
Lowton 7
McNeil 7
Cork 9
Westwood 8
Hendrick 8
Barnes 9 (including 1 for making Louise look like a total numpty for most of the game)
Wood 8

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:39 pm

bfcmik wrote:Heaton 7
Taylor 8
Mee 9*
Tarks 7
Lowton 7
McNeil 7
Cork 9
Westwood 8
Hendrick 8
Barnes 9 (including 1 for making Louise look like a total numpty for most of the game)
Wood 8
That snigger to Kovacic was absolute class by Barnesy.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:46 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:Lowts went way too narrow and stood off him too much, as Sky said. I don’t believe in ratings players higher because of the class of opposition. It is Premier League not tiddlywinks. He had 8 accurate passes in the game and hardly got forward. McNeil had 9 accurate passes. I have upped a few of my ratings on reflection but my general point still stands.

Like I said in my ratings, no slight on him at all. He did as well as could have been expected
He did as well as could have been expected yet you gave him 5 which you have now changed to 6

As for going narrow, that’s how we play and Hazard was often hugging that line to try and stretch us. Difficult early period against a world class player but overall he played very well.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:01 pm

Heaton 7
Lowton 8
Tarkowski 8
Mee 9
Taylor 9
Hendrick 8
Cork 7
Westwood 8
McNeil 7
Barnes 9
Wood 7

All in all it bodes well for the remaining games this season....
Am away tomorrow untill next Wednesday ... so give the lads an extra cheer from me v Citeh on Sunday (not sure I will get to see the game on TV ... so will have to make do with clarets player commentary in Veere in Holland)

UTC

PhiladelphiaChris
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by PhiladelphiaChris » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:18 pm

Heaton 8
Lowton 8
Tarkowski 8
Mee 9
Taylor 9
Hendrick 9
Westwood 8
Cork 8
McNeil 8
Barnes 9
Wood 8

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:23 pm

Heaton 8

Lowton 8
Tarkowski 9
Mee 10
Taylor 9

Hendrick 8
Westwood 8
Cork 8
McNeil 8

Barnes 8
Wood 8

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Post by KlyBfc » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:33 pm

Defending and the skills and mindset that go with it are (whether the football fashionista like it or not) very much part of the game. That last night after 25 mins was exceptional.

Heaton 7
Lowton 9 some difficult times but when you consider Hazard (Chelsea top scorer with 19 goals or around that) hardly had a single opportunity to actually score says how well both Lowton and the defensive unit (I include Jeff in that did). Yes he put lots of balls into the box, but how often did he threaten himself? and he defended the back post very well indeed
Taylor 9 excellent as not afforded quite as good cover as Lowton was with Jeff
Mee 10 Absolutely top notch. MOM
Tarks 9 Superb
Hendrick 8 Brilliant, huge help to Lowts and what a sublime goal
McNeil 6 Struggled to get in the game but he was up against IMO the best right back in the prem, and certainly came into his own more as the game progressed.
Cork 8 Outnumbered but not out fought some crucial bits of defending and what people don't always credit him for his discipline in keeping the central area when Westwood goes pressing, if they both did pressed like Ash we would be in real trouble
Westwood 8 Outnumbered but not outworked or out fought
Barnes 9 Im not always his biggest fan but I thought he was close (along with most of the back line) to MoM tonight led the line well, great goal and lovely pass for Wood second half
Wood 7 Battled manfully winning some good flicks and working tirelessly for the shape

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:18 pm

Heaton 7
Lowton 6
Tarkowski 7
Mee 8
Taylor 8
Hendrick 8
Cork 7
Westwood 7
McNeil 6
Barnes 8*
Wood 7

Basher just shades MOTM for me: a goal, played in Wood for a gilt edged chance, and lead the line magnificently whilst absorbing lots of physical punishment. Left everything out on the pitch.

As it was early on in the game maybe, not many, if any have mentioned Ben's amazing goal line clearance, so I will, it was amazing.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:30 pm

From television.

Heaton - 7 - no chance with either goal; generally solid.
Lowton - 8 - had the toughest job and, with Hendrick’s excellent support, did as well as anyone could reasonably ask for the first twenty minutes, and then even better for the rest of the game against a player, Hazard, who seems to be in top form.
Taylor - 7 - along with McNeil did pretty well against the Chelsea threat down our left.
Tarkowski - 8 - with Mee blocked the middle very well and dealt with crosses generally well although there were one or two that flew across the goal box in a dangerous manner.
Mee - 9 - MoM - excellent performance from Mee, his only failing being for the second goal. Considering that was virtually the only chance that Higuain had, and I can’t recall anything of note from Giroud, that is exceptional defending.
Westwood - 8 - defensively very active but understandably less opportunities for creativity.
Cork - 8 - same as Westwood.
McNeil - 7 - defensively worked very hard and when we did rarely attack he was often involved. Against top defenders I think his ball control was not quite good enough.
Hendrick - 9 - worked really hard in helping Lowton and others and tried to get forward at times. And what a super goal - absolute concentration waiting for the ball to come down when defenders were closing in makes that even more special.
Wood - 7 - worked hard defending from the front and was a good outlet, particularly before the last backs to the wall period. Played his part when we attacked too.
Barnes - 8 - What a pain in the arse this fellow is to defenders. ‘They don’t like it up em’ and Barnes knows it. He has quality too and worked hard like Woods. Good finish too.

Even though we took the lead, Chelsea for the first twenty minutes looked very dangerous, with Hazard in particular a major threat but others on the wings posing problems too. Their movement and swift passing were a joy and I was worried. However, our equaliser seemed to take them aback and they weren’t quite the same. I dare say the injuries to Hudson-Odoi and Kante can’t have helped. Nevertheless credit to our boys who reduced them to long range shots, some of which weren’t far off.

In the second half they didn’t seem to have any real cutting edge, not even Hazard, and I actually felt we could go on to win it. I don’t think we wanted to and I don’t criticise us for that.

I did not like or believe the ‘cramp’ of various players but there we go.

Superb performance and result.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:43 pm

Heaton 8
Lowton 8
Taylor 8
Mee 10*
Tarky 8
Westwood 8
Cork 8
Hendrick 9
McNeil 8
Wood 8
Barnes 9

Given who we played and how they started the first 20 mins it was the best away performance of the season. That’s two years in a row.

Fantastic stuff. Given all the problems highlighted on here regularly that is 28 points from 16 games which is probably our best return over 16 games in our time in the prem.

Dyche is a genius and the improvement in some of the players is testament to his coaching and man management. You have to pinch yourself to make sure you are actually watching Burnley at times.

Interesting that Hazard had a quietish night as we worked out how to deal with him.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3162 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:47 pm

TVC15 wrote:Heaton : 8 - looked solid and assured. No chance with the goals.
Lowton : 8 - can’t believe anyone can score him lowly playing against one of the worlds best players who for the first half hour was unplayable. The best you can do when Hazard is playing like that is try and keep him near the touch line and outside of the box so he can’t shoot / score. For a lot of the game we managed that - did Hazard have a shot on target ? Hazard prefers to beat his man several times than put a cross in...for the last 20 he was forced to putting crosses in for Giroud which for us is the best we can hope.
Tarks : 8 - great defending...distribution was poor a few times....again
Mee : 9 (MoM) - great game. This is how he played most of the time last season. He’s rarely done it this season.
Taylor : 8 - another excellent game.
Hendrick : 8 - great goal and very good performance and was out on his feet at the end.
Cork : 8 - one of his best performances this season
Westwood: 8 - couldn’t get him on the ball as much as would like but when we did he was quality.
McNeil : 7 - struggled to get in the game but deserves credit for the effort he put in. Every game in this league will make him a better player even the ones where he struggles.
Wood : 8 - held the ball up really well. Won plenty in the air...should have done better in second half when he got through on goal. Good assist for Barnes.
Barnes : 9 - can’t believe that whining cheat Luiz did not get booked the number of times he fouled Barnes. Ashley gave them a torrid time...the fans hating him because of the Matic incident a few years ago just fuels him up even more to play well. Luiz cost £50m / Ashley Barnes £0.5m !
Spot on!
Superb team performance. Very proud watching that. Chelsea’s reaction during after the match was truly pathetic...it’s embarrassing the sh-ite they have come out with. This is a set of plastic fans who not that long ago were having their weekly love in with Mourinho who was “parking the bus” on a regular basis.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:29 pm

Heaton 7
Lowton 7
Mee 10
Tarkowski 8
Taylor 8
Hendrick 7
Cork 7
Westwood 7
McNeil 5
Barnes 7
Wood 6

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:01 pm

Really contributed to a thrilling game for 25 minutes, but after that it was as good a defensive performance as you’ll ever see – to a man.

Heaton – 8 – did everything he could have done, with the relatively little that was asked of him.
Lowton – 9 – Dealt with Hazard as well as any right back will have done this season. For 30 minutes he and Hendrick had a hell of a job containing Emerson, Hazard and the marauding Loftus Cheek, but once the midfield dealt with Loftus Cheek, Lowton tucked Hazard in his pocket (with Hendrick's help) and never let him out.
Taylor – 9 – He was slightly exposed at times, but he coped admirably.
Tarkowski – 9 – Pretty much flawless defensively.
Mee – 9 – Arguably beaten a fraction easily for Chelsea’s second, but otherwise absolutely imperious and rightly man of the match.
Cork – 9 – Did such a huge amount of defensive work, and all the unsung stuff of getting into the right positions to block Chelsea off.
Westwood – 8 – Almost as good as Cork, and ratted fantastically to get us on the front foot on occasions.
Hendrick – 9 – Gave the ball away a couple of times, but got through an indefatigable amount of work as our auxiliary right back, right winger and auxiliary central midfielder, and his goal was as sweet a strike as you’ll see.
McNeil – 7 – Not really an attacking threat and possibly our weakest link defensively (although that’s a high bar) but stuck at it manfully.
Barnes – 8 – Took his goal well, and won the free kicks that got us up the pitch from time to time.
Wood – 7 – A physical threat throughout, worked hard, got a crucial touch for the second goal and worked back brilliantly when he had to.

We’re almost certainly over the line now – and to get to 40 points after taking 12 from the first 19 is simply incredible. Huge credit to all concerned, and that point at Chelsea is a lovely way to get over the line. It showcased everything that Dyche’s Burnley have been: resilient, brave, determined, and putting their bodies on the line for the cause.

Absolutely fantastic. Still 3 games to play, and with that level of performance we’ll give City a game.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:26 pm

Heaton 8

Lowton 8

Mee 10

Tarks 9

Taylor 8

Cork 7

Westwood 8