Is an end of season “ mini” clearout on the cards ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Re: Is an end of season “ mini” clearout on the cards ?

Post by thatdberight » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:06 pm

NL Claret wrote:We could clear out the players who have contributed to survival and bring in a load more Fulham style to appease UTC posters. Sorry, forgot I can't use Fulham as an example on here.

Dyche "Arran, Steve, sorry I'm clearing you out"

Arran / Defour "I'm under contract gaffer and I won't get better wages elsewhere so I'm staying put"

Click, click, delete.
Don't care. I was going anyway.
arranmap.JPG
arranmap.JPG (37.86 KiB) Viewed 693 times

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:08 pm

Out by BFC choice:
Hart
Crouch
Lennon
Wells
one of Legzdins / Lindegard

Out by player choice:
Pope (hopefully a season long loan)
Ward (Contract Expiry)
Defour (Will he want one last payday?)
Vydra (Sure he'll want to be playing)
Bardsley (Will he want security of a longer contract?)

Recruitment targets:
Centre midfield, creative goalscorer if possible.
Pacey Winger, right sided.
Pacey Striker - Offer an alternative to Barnes / Wood, especially if Vydra goes.
Left & right sided fullback - Cover for Taylor. Cover for Lowton if Bardsley goes.

We've excess to trim but I don't think it's a massive rebuilding job.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:09 pm

No Ney Never wrote:I'm sure that if SD didn't think he no longer has the desire to play for Burnley and wanted him out, we wouldn't be asking for much of a transfer fee to help it happen. It could be that he may wish to sit it out and collect the wages, but I'd hardly call it big money though, not in the world of football.
It's all ifs, buts and maybe, my preference is that we get back the Defour that was doing the business. I hope he starts afresh with us next season but if he does, I'm sure that I wouldn't be alone in wondering how long will he last this time?
Don't think there is a question about his desire but does not look like his body is up to it.
I would be amazed if there is any talk of transfer fees - he's hardly kicked a ball in a year and only has a year left on his contract.
In terms of big money...£2m is not especially big money in this league of course - my reference was that it is big money to Defour to just walk away from when Burnley are contracted to pay him this and he has this guaranteed. As said in his current position of not being able to get back from several consecutive injuries then he is likely to take the option to stay put as would most players (or people) in a similar position.
As for next season its hard to see what would change from this season where the player and the medical staff must have tried everything to get him back playing.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Out:
Brady
Wells
Vydra
Ward
Pope
McNeil
Tarkowski
Lennon

Not a list of who I want to go, just who I think might go

Fretters
Been Liked: 1051 times
Has Liked: 554 times

Post by Fretters » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:46 pm

I thought it was telling that Hart was at Old Trafford last night instead of the awards night. I think he'll be off.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:57 pm

Fretters wrote:I thought it was telling that Hart was at Old Trafford last night instead of the awards night. I think he'll be off.
Yep thought that too...I can definitely see him going to the MLS and maybe some kind of joint shampoo / hair restorer deal with Rooney.
I don't think there is another Premier League club who would have him now - even though the likes of Bournemouth will be after a new keeper next season. I also don't think he would want to drop down to the Championship.

Speaking of Bournemouth would not be a surprise to see them bidding £15m to £20m for Nick Pope. I would not want to sell him as think he is a great keeper but I doubt he will want to spend another season on the bench. If we could get this kind of money for him and maybe take Boruc from Bournemouth who would be a decent no 2 behind Heaton and also get Hart off of our books it leaves us with still a pretty strong goalkeeping department and more in the kitty for wages and transfer fees to spend on other parts of the team which need strengthening.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:19 pm

The answer to the OP's question is...no, not really.

what we definitely don't want to do if we can avoid it is have to bring in players to fill the squad. We want to focus on either players who have the capacity to come in and play 25+ first team games next season, or who are part of a longer term succession plan in certain positions.

Which means it makes no sense to get rid of anyone who has been a regular in the matchday 18 this season when fit, unless they're out of contract and coming towards the end of their careers, or there's another compelling reason why they aren't in our plans next season.

Which means we might be looking at moving on some of Ward, Bardsley, Crouch and Wells, one of Hart or Pope depending, and then possibly Defour if we can find a club willing to take him on on a sensible deal (and we have a satisfactory replacement lined up). Vydra should only be leaving permanently if we get an offer we can't sensible refuse and we've replaced him.

But it strikes me as total madness to look to move players like Brady, Lennon, Hendrick (even seen Cork and Lowton mentioned) who at worst represent really good experienced cover who can add depth to the squad. Even replacing the first 3 of those mentioned realistically requires an outlay of north of £30 million quid, and most likely an increase in the wage bill.

Seems to me that our summer business revolves around adding a bit of plus pace/athleticism as an alternative option at right back, an equivalent wide/forward option and potentially a more commanding option in the centre of midfield, plus (possibly) a new target man option up front. The first two might be youthful options, the last two more experienced. But that's about it, and no-one should be surprised if we fail to land all 4 of those targets - which is exactly why we shouldn't be undermining the heart of the existing squad.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6966 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:20 pm

beddie wrote:Rileybobs. I agree with your "IN" section. The only issue I can see is the cost, in the current climate would we not be looking at £75/80 mill for the quality that's required.
True, it wouldn't be cheap. The squad is getting a bit old though and we need to free up some wages and bring in some more youth. I wouldn't be paying a lot for a right back, I'd re-sign Bardsley for another season and bring in a young RB from the lower leagues for a few million, a la Taylor.

The other positions should be obtainable between £10-£15m a piece which is what I expect we'd be looking to spend in the summer window. I think we're going to struggle to sign the kind of quality which will be an upgrade and significant improvement on what we've got. For example, a right midfielder could be fairly raw and would initially be our fourth choice wide player with a view to developing and breaking into the side towards the back end of the season.

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:22 pm

NL Claret wrote:We could clear out the players who have contributed to survival and bring in a load more Fulham style to appease UTC posters. Sorry, forgot I can't use Fulham as an example on here.

Arran / Defour "I'm under contract gaffer and I won't get better wages elsewhere so I'm staying put"

Click, click, delete.
Who the **** is Arran?

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:33 pm

The extent of the over-expectation about what we can achieve in the transfer market is probably best summed up by the brief this thread gives for a central midfielder.

The successful candidate will be 6 foot tall, athletic, creative/good in possession, and capable of weighing in with goals. Now, that sounds like Paul Pogba to me, except that we'd all no doubt add to the list that we'd like them to be fully committed in more than every other game.

There's absolutely no way we're going to sign anyone of that ilk, and pointing to the fact that Watford have a sort-of version of most of that in Docoure doesn't change that. At best, we'll be able to afford someone who is fairly tall (which is probably important given there are plenty of second balls in our game) and either athletic or good in possession, but not both. Personally I'd be prioritising a holding player who is good in possession over athleticism given the way we play.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3809 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:48 am

Click, click, delete.
Who is Arran?

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:48 pm

Vydra is a interesting one. Tarkowski and Taylor hardly got a kick in their first seasons. Does anyone think he could still come good or is the lack of a few mins here and there a sign Sean has given up.